ADVERTISEMENT

Yasar Dogu (Turkey) this weekend (July 27-29) - US team going

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
Looks like the US is sending the whole team. Good tune up for Worlds and also a chance to earn points for possible seeding there:

USA Men’s Freestyle World Team to compete at Yasar Dogu in Turkey, July 27-29

Trackwrestling.

2018 YASAR DOGU INTERNATIONAL
at Istanbul, Turkey, July 27-29 (7 hours ahead of ET)

Schedule

Friday, July 27
4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Eliminations through semifinals (MFS 57 kg, 65 kg, 74 kg, 86 kg, 97 kg)

Saturday, July 28
11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Repechage (MFS 57 kg, 65 kg, 74 kg, 86 kg, 97 kg)
11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Eliminations through semifinals (MFS 61 kg, 70 kg, 79 kg, 92 kg, 125 kg)
5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Bronze and Gold medal matches (MFS 57 kg, 65 kg, 74 kg, 86 kg, 97 kg)

Sunday, July 29
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m Repechage (MFS 61 kg, 70 kg, 79 kg, 92 kg, 125 kg)
12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Bronze and Gold medal matches (MFS 61 kg, 70 kg, 79 kg, 92 kg, 125 kg)

U.S. Men’s Freestyle Roster
57 kg/125.5 lbs. - Thomas Gilman, Iowa City, Iowa (Titan Mercury WC/Hawkeye WC)
61 kg/134 lbs. - Nahshon Garrett, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids)
65 kg/143 lbs. - Logan Stieber, Columbus, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
70 kg/154 lbs. - James Green, Lincoln, Neb. (Titan Mercury WC/Nebraska WTC)
74 kg/163 lbs. - Jordan Burroughs, Lincoln, Neb. (Sunkist Kids/Nebraska WTC)
79 kg/174 lbs. - Kyle Dake, Ithaca, N.Y. (Titan Mercury WC/New York RTC)
86 kg/189 lbs. - David Taylor, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
92 kg/202.5 lbs. - J’den Cox, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Titan Mercury WC/OTC)
97 kg/213.75 lbs. - Kyle Snyder, Columbus, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
125 kg/275 lbs. - Nick Gwiazdowski, Raleigh, N.C. (Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC)

Men’s Freestyle National Coach: Bill Zadick, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Assistant Men’s Freestyle National Coach: Joe Russell, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Coach: Zachary Esposito, Stillwater, Okla.
Coach: Mark Perry, Iowa City, Iowa
Coach: Mark Manning, Lincoln, Neb.
Coach: Casey Cunningham, State College, Pa.
Coach: Zeke Jones, Tempe, Ariz.

Support Staff
Medical: Corey James, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Referee: Ron Fazio, Wayne, N.J.

Steiber struggles and loses first round --- going off memory seems to be a trend for him.

DT & Gilman advance.

Feeds are down, was going to try to provide some PBP. JB advances with a 10-0 tech in 30secs according to Twitter.

usa wrestling is retweeting Gwiz or just give him a follow

GIlman wins 7-5 over #13 ranked Tukish wrassler.

Gwiz is providing updates via twitter and seems to be the fastest and most reliable source.

Just saw on Twitter that Makoev is the one that beat Cox in the World Semi's that caused the brief Twitter beef between Cox and DT. DT just pinned him after dominating him.

I think the only thing that can hold DT back from being a World/Olympic Champ is himself. I do wonder if him being friendly with everyone, including his competition (Dake/Cox), causes him to wrestle those guys differently than he would if he didn't know them personally. Not that those 2 guys aren't elite, but the gap between Dake and DT isn't that wide to where DT shouldn't have at least taken a few W's in their multiple times wrestling. IMO his greatest threat is losing domestically to Cox/Dake for the Olympic spot.

Reactions: lionlover
Just saw on Twitter that Makoev is the one that beat Cox in the World Semi's that caused the brief Twitter beef between Cox and DT. DT just pinned him after dominating him.

I think the only thing that can hold DT back from being a World/Olympic Champ is himself. I do wonder if him being friendly with everyone, including his competition (Dake/Cox), causes him to wrestle those guys differently than he would if he didn't know them personally. Not that those 2 guys aren't elite, but the gap between Dake and DT isn't that wide to where DT shouldn't have at least taken a few W's in their multiple times wrestling. IMO his greatest threat is losing domestically to Cox/Dake for the Olympic spot.
Yup.

So glad to see MM doing what we all knew he could do. Just has to keep doing his thing.

What is up with UWW rankings? Must be a really arcane art--has Mark Hall ranked 10th on senior level, w/ no Dake in sight. Does have DT #2, at least, but Burroughs isn't ranked.

Snyder goes down on criterea! Alborov of Azerbaijan. Is that who he faced in World Cup Finals?

Snyder goes down on criterea! Alborov of Azerbaijan. Is that who he faced in World Cup Finals?

From Seth Petarra (does Intl Ranking for Flo) on Twitter:

"#2 Alborov gets revenge on #1 Snyder from the World Championships semifinal match. He beats the 3x World/Olympic Champ 3-3 on criteria"

Burroughs wins 9-4. I think his opponent was DQ'd due to too many cautions.

He'll face Chamizo in the finals. I'm excited to see them wrestle a legit match and not on ice skates like at Beat the Streets

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Some evidence there was actual wrestling behind all these tweets (DT bottom-right)

stiebler should find some dude on the street corner at these tourneys....let that guy kick his @ss to start the day....then regroup himself and go out and wrestle.

its almost like he needs to work it out before he gets going but on this stage he doesnt have that kind of separation from the other wrestlers.

Or the other side of it is the weight is just flat out better than he is.

#bucknutsgodownhard

stiebler should find some dude on the street corner at these tourneys....let that guy kick his @ss to start the day....then regroup himself and go out and wrestle.

its almost like he needs to work it out before he gets going but on this stage he doesnt have that kind of separation from the other wrestlers.

Or the other side of it is the weight is just flat out better than he is.

#bucknutsgodownhard

When I was wrestling AAU as a kid there were a lot of tournament that I lost my 1st match before working my way back through the consis. My dad used to always joke that I did it on purpose to do things the hard way.

A little different when you are a wrestler the caliber of Stieber

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT