ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling.......thoughts.

bjf1984

Sep 8, 2014
Cael summed it up best....."There's nothing like losing and competing poorly that'll help you being kicked in the rear. We have to get better and make some adjustments."

It was certainly a disappointing weekend in Columbus. By Saturday evening the squad had really dug itself a hole...that it didn't have the firepower to overcome. This is a group that had to scratch and claw all year (as opposed to some of the prior seasons when you had a group of guys you KNEW could dominate any match)...and the wear and tear may have shown just a bit.

Congrats to McIntosh on a fine tourney....and for winning the title by defeating a Buckeye on his home mat.

So many of the matches came down to finishing out that last 30 seconds. I thought PSU might come out on top more often than they did.....but this was such an inexperienced squad, and the confidence that comes from experience may have been lacking just a bit.
Obviously, nationals will be a chance for redemption for the 7 wrestler group making the trip. It would have been nice if the whole group could go - if for no other reason than to give the younger guys a taste of what it is all about.

Hopefully, the 2 seniors - Brown and Lawson - can finish out their careers with solid showings

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2015/03/08/4640473_penn-state-wrestling-mcintosh.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

I think a top 5 finish at Nationals is possible. I am predicting that both McIntosh and Brown will make the Finals. Brown is capable of beating Kokesh, but he needs to finish when he has the opportunities. I believe that Conway, Guilibon, and Beitz are all capable of being All Americans. I can't wait for next year.

I think you're right on Brown. I don't think you could ever see a guy lose as badly on the score sheet (7 to 3 or something like that) while wrestling so well.

He was right there with his shots....but just couldn't finish (was facing a hell of a wrestler to boot). He could surprise at nationals.

Certainly right that PSU could be right back in the hunt for #1 next year......but right now just want to see this squad finish out at the top of their ability.

Perhaps ... too soon to tell ...

I would want to see the seeds before predicting a finish for the team or for any wrestler. Heck, we haven't even learned the at-large bids yet.

McIntosh could make the finals. He'll probably be a 2 or a 3 seed. Cox will likely be 1. I don't think McIntosh has ever beat him. Best scenario would be McIntosh gets a 2, Gadson gets a 3, and Snyder gets a 4. In that scenario he would be favored to get to the finals, though Gadson is tough.

Likewise, Brown will likely be a 2, with Kokesh getting the top seed, Evans getting 3, and Storley getting a 4 (just they had in B1Gs). Brown seems to match up well with Evans, though their 2 matches this year were very close, so the 3rd one could go the other way. Brown has not beaten Kokesh in college, so while there isn't much seperation between them, Brown would not be favored.

PSU getting 5th might be a reach at Nationals - still have to see the brackets. They placed 5th at B1Gs, and Nationals will include Oklahoma State, Cornell, Virginia Tech, and others as well as the B1G teams.

Tom

This post was edited on 3/9 10:05 AM by Tom McAndrew

Re: Perhaps ... too soon to tell ...

Tom, you are correct that McIntosh beating Cox will be tough but I love how he is wrestling right now. I know that Brown hasn't scored much against Evans but he has shut him out two matches in a row, so I like him against anybody except for Kokesh. I agree that Top 5 is unlikely, but possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT