ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 197

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
At first glance, 197 was clearing out this year. It appeared, with 3 Seniors among March’s All-Americans, having the top-2 guys (Machiavello and Haught) leave, and with only one returning wrestler from the R12, it would become a free-for-all till the dust started settling mid-season. Ends up, that’s not quite the case. Bo Nickal’s possible move to 197 (if my coin flip is any indication!), Willie Miklus’s (IAST, by way of MIZZ, and a 3-time AA, 6th and 7th at 184, then 8th at 197) receiving a 6th year, and a healthy Preston Weigel (OKST, AA in 2017) bolster the top-8 significantly. Returning AA’s from 2018 NCAA’s are; Kyle Conel (KENT, 3rd), Kollin Moore (tOSU, 4th), Jacob Holschlag (UNI, 5th), Ben Darmstadt (CORN, 6th), Shakur Rasheed (PSU, 7th), and Willie Miklus (MIZZ, 8th, now at IAST). Also returning are R12 guys Cash Wilcke (IOWA), and Chris Weiler (LEH), though Wilcke will be moving to 184, to join Rasheed (likely).

In addition, there’s a strong group that hope to be top-8 at NCAA’s, which includes; Tom Sleigh (VT, by way of BUCK), Blake Rypel (IND), Stephen Loiseau (DREX), Patrick Brucki (PRIN), Greg Bulsak (CLAR), and Corey Griego (ORST), among others. The class of the RSFR’s at 197 is Jacob Warner (IOWA).

197 is a very good looking weight class. One thing to remember, at the 2018 NCAA Tournament, three (3) unseeded wrestlers made it into the top-12, and two of those (Conel, 3rd, and Holshlag 5th) finished All-American. It’s the perfect example of why the matches are wrestled.

Remember thinking Bo would struggle with Dean when he was moving up to 84. I'll never doubt him again. :)

Well, in all fairness Bo DID struggle with Dean. It was a close match. Bo won, but it was a tight match between two very equal guys. That's not a knock on Bo. Gabe Dean was a 2X defending national champ that had not lost in like two years before Bo beat him. It just shows how good Bo is. If Bo Nickal doesn't move up Gabe Dean is almost surely a 3X champ and talked about with the greats considering his streak of wins.

Reactions: RandyL
1) Bo
2) Moore
3) Darmstadt (Would love to see him vs. Bo... F** match)
4) Weigel
5) Warner
6) Miklus
7) Holschlag
8) Brucki

still bummin' abut Shaq's loss to the eventual champ... was up with 30 seconds to go... needed to simply shoot his single to hold on and win

No love for Conel here, huh.

So, if Bo moves up, he's gotta be preseason #1. Both finalists graduated and he probably would be anyway. I think since Conel finished 3rd and beat Moore twice in doing so, he's probably gotta be #2.

Kent State comes here very early in the season. I think we're gonna see a #1 vs #2 match which is kinda cool. It's also the perfect test for Bo moving. The only thing I could see getting in his way is if he can't handle someone's strength. I doubt many are physically stronger than Conel.

I suddenly looking forward to the Kent State match.

I guess if Bo doesn't go up, Conel is #1 and Shak gets a crack at the top guy, so either way....

Reactions: Dogwelder
No love for Conel here, huh.

Love what he did last year (especially grateful for what he did to Moore) but there was a reason he was unseeded. Would be very cool to see him continue his success but he lost to a bunch of dudes who weren't/won't be in contention to AA. Lightning in a bottle?! Or a sign of what's to come?!

Love what he did last year (especially grateful for what he did to Moore) but there was a reason he was unseeded. Would be very cool to see him continue his success but he lost to a bunch of dudes who weren't/won't be in contention to AA. Lightning in a bottle?! Or a sign of what's to come?!
He gave Morgan a tough match at nationals a couple years ago, before Morgan rallied and pinned him.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT