ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Penn State vs. Iowa Match Thread

His tweet is mild compared to CStar’s posts. He’s a HS kid that was exciting watching his future team beating (at the time of his tweet) the #1 team in the country. Not a big deal…
He said a team that beat his team by 9 is overrated.

For the most part, I agree. But Carter has put a few things out there in a way that someone was going to clap back specifically at him at some point.
You mean 2 time defending NCAA champion Carter Starocci?

Something something walk the walk.

Reactions: mcpat
You mean 2 time defending NCAA champion Carter Starocci?

Something something walk the walk.
I’m fine with it. But he even had something to say when Dake joined NLWC. Again - fine with me, just saying I’m not surprised by someone chirping at him.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Would you agree then that it's strange for so many PSU fans to be bragging about your 125, despite the fact that he got tech falled in the first period?
Not when he had more TDs than the best wrestler ever seen by one of the biggest names in the sport.

Reactions: Zukovski
I’m fine with it. But he even had something to say when Dake joined NLWC. Again - fine with me, just saying I’m not surprised by someone chirping at him.
How dare you disagree at all? You must pile on or you’re not a true fan.

• Haha
Right on.

Just hilarious to me. Guy who’s never taken a college mat talking to a guy who has done something like that.

Again, Carter can talk, he’s done things so far even as it pertains to Dake coming along. If the high school kid was talking about someone recruited over him, I get it. As is, would be like Carter being mad about Dake while still a senior at Cathedral Prep.

Come on.

So you liked what you saw last night I take it?
The topic was Gabe Arnold’s tweet. Mcpat responded saying someone was bound to clap back at Starocci because he likes to talk. You disagreed because Carter is a 2 time champ so he can say whatever he wants. Mcpat said he’s fine with it but Carter should expect some chirping. It seems you are trying to convince him only you are right and he should agree with you. What does that have to do with what I saw last night?

I sensed that the biggest single moment of disappointment for the coaching staff was when Alex only got 4 seconds of ride out time.
Cael didn't look happy.
I was kinda of surprised that they didn't put Alex down. I don't think he had any cautions.
He could of tried to anticipate the whistle.????

I sensed that the biggest single moment of disappointment for the coaching staff was when Alex only got 4 seconds of ride out time.
Cael didn't look happy.
I was kinda of surprised that they didn't put Alex down. I don't think he had any cautions.
He could have tried to anticipate the whistle.????
4 seconds is tough. Kennedy could have grabbed an ankle and held on for the five count since he didn’t have any stall warnings. Facundo’s best chance was going neutral and trying for a takedown.

Dean Heil and Tony Nelson won multiple titles using this strategy. Not saying it’s the best but if you are really good at it you can win titles. I don’t think either coaching staff is focused on growing the sport when preparing for this dual. They prepare their guys as best they can and it’s up to them to perform based on their strengths.
No doubt there are always exceptions. Thankfully for PSU, Nelson lost a national title and team title using that strategy against Gwiz. Alex Marinelli, never made a national final using that strategy.

You are correct, both coaches were not interested in growing the sport last night, which is a shame. As a PSU fan, PSU won the dual last night and at least I don't need to read the message board of gloating Iowa fans had it gone the either way, however, I am not excited about what I watched last night.

The local high school match I went to last night (in Maryland to boot) was more exciting. At least a bunch of kids got after each other, many not knowing what they were doing, but there was plenty of action.

4 seconds is tough. Kennedy could have grabbed an ankle and held on for the five count since he didn’t have any stall warnings. Facundo’s best chance was going neutral and trying for a takedown.
^^ This. It was the right thing to do under the circumstances. Facundo's offense is solid, but right now it's neutralized by the better wrestlers. It'll come, these are the tweaks this coaching staff is know for.

The topic was Gabe Arnold’s tweet. Mcpat responded saying someone was bound to clap back at Starocci because he likes to talk. You disagreed because Carter is a 2 time champ so he can say whatever he wants. Mcpat said he’s fine with it but Carter should expect some chirping. It seems you are trying to convince him only you are right and he should agree with you. What does that have to do with what I saw last night?
I’ve agreed with him the whole way down. Even liked some of his posts on the matter. Commenting further isn’t disagreeing.

You said how dare he not pile on. Who’s piling on? Gabe liked what he saw, thinks PSU is overrated (or maybe only 2 time ncaa champ CS is overrated).

It’s not whether he can say it or not. Free country. It’s whether you agree with him on his point. If you do, you must be cool with last night and how it went. If you don’t, don’t defend him because he’s a Hawkeye.

Would you agree then that it's strange for so many PSU fans to be bragging about your 125, despite the fact that he got tech falled in the first period?
Bragging about him, I would shake his hand. Completely over matched wrestler went out there and wrestled. Even got a quick TD and had he been more patient with the cradle, he might have decked the great Spencer Lee.

Huge shout out to Vespa. As a fan, that is what you want to see. Compare that to Nelson Brands...he lost a close match and never even attempted to score, thereby demonstrating he had no interest in winning.

I’ve agreed with him the whole way down. Even liked some of his posts on the matter. Commenting further isn’t disagreeing.

You said how dare he not pile on. Who’s piling on? Gabe liked what he saw, thinks PSU is overrated (or maybe only 2 time ncaa champ CS is overrated).

It’s not whether he can say it or not. Free country. It’s whether you agree with him on his point. If you do, you must be cool with last night and how it went. If you don’t, don’t defend him because he’s a Hawkeye.
I guess I read it wrong.

So what was this (Warner post match per an observer): “Literally grabbed terry by his shoulders started shaking him and screaming in his face.. then got real emotional and Spencer & marinelli ushered him off the floor.”.

Sounds like Warner had about enough of mini Terry’s shit
Didn't like the tough wrestling.

Reactions: danoftw
I guess I read it wrong.
No I also understand how it came off. Really didn’t need be as aggressive.

But in all seriousness, you’d be all over a PSU recruit saying Spencer Lee is overrated during, say, the 21 NCAA finals when he “only” had a decision. All over him. And you should.

Reactions: jmadden1998
No doubt there are always exceptions. Thankfully for PSU, Nelson lost a national title and team title using that strategy against Gwiz. Alex Marinelli, never made a national final using that strategy.

You are correct, both coaches were not interested in growing the sport last night, which is a shame. As a PSU fan, PSU won the dual last night and at least I don't need to read the message board of gloating Iowa fans had it gone the either way, however, I am not excited about what I watched last night.

The local high school match I went to last night (in Maryland to boot) was more exciting. At least a bunch of kids got after each other, many not knowing what they were doing, but there was plenty of action.
I like to see offensive wrestling as much as the next guy. But when you get to this level, it’s a lot harder. Guys aren’t just going to do something outside their skill set so the fans can enjoy points being scored because the points scored would go against them.

No I also understand how it came off. Really didn’t need be as aggressive.

But in all seriousness, you’d be all over a PSU recruit saying Spencer Lee is overrated during, say, the 21 NCAA finals when he “only” had a decision. All over him. And you should.
Haha! I would definitely have something sarcastic to say!

Reactions: donboy6499
Probably buried in the 13 pages, but how many of Iowa’s starters (if you count Assad) are seniors? Seemed like a ton while watching the match.

I’m sure parts of this are buried somewhere in the thread, but keep in mind in the 141 - 165 toss up part of the dual, Iowa had 2, 4, 3, and 1 year experience advantages.

Hats off to Max Murin. Wrestled one of his cleanest (his handfighting usually looks like boxing) and complete matches and never shut it down.

Still not sold on BB something is missing, Van Ness expected a lot more from him this year, Fauncdo why not take down don’t get it thanks Levi your the real deal

ummm.. expect freshman to rip up ranked opponents. I think Iowa wrestled Iowa style for the most part - their studs showed offense and the others patiently waited for shots. Outside of Brands who didn't commit to a shot the whole match (not paying attention to the last seconds). One downplay of Freestyle is holding center counts. Regardless of holding center, I think, in a match on your feet, you should show some offense. But hey, BBs almost cartwheel to a headlock would have been sweet if he could have stuck it for 6

Reactions: RandyL
Still not sold on BB something is missing, Van Ness expected a lot more from him this year, Fauncdo why not take down don’t get it thanks Levi your the real deal
Take down when you only have 30 seconds and need a TD if you don’t get out in 4 seconds? Logical decision if you ask most people.

Be disappointed for them.

Don't be disappointed by them.
Very rarely do I recall being disappointed by any of the student-athletes. Adult fans who so easily express "disappointment" in those student-athletes are typically and frequently, aggravating "disappointments".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT