ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Penn State vs. Iowa Match Thread

RBY wrestled a far tougher opponent than Lee and got the pin. Lee wrestled the Penn State third string guy, got taken down and did NOT get the pin.

Who came up bigger for their team?
Spencer is Spencer, but I find it a bit odd that he has been taken down to his back 3 matches in a row. He will still likely bonus out and win the Hodge but what's up with that?

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
I have only read a few post. Second match I was at this year. Iowa and Lehigh. Second match I saw numerous Penn State wrestlers struggle scoring from there feet as the aggressor. Beau,Shayne and Alex have to learn to create offense from their feet. With Iowa being so good with their hands , a leg attack has to be in arsenal.
Agreed. SVN melted a lot of guys in high school with superior hand fighting, pace and conditioning. He’ll need more than that at this level. He couldn’t get to Paniros legs and had nothing on Murin tonight. This coaching staff will definitely be working on that with these 3.

Good win for the team. Fac and SVN will figure out how win those matches. Problem for their counterparts is those style wrestlers (aka Murin solid d, no real o) don’t typically get far or score points at nationals. Too many close one score matches and you end up 1-2 at Tulsa.

more importantly….. Let’s go Levi!!!!

I distinctly heard Dong?
Did Bartlett, Van Ness Facundo and Carter look sick to anyone?? 😉
No. They had tough opponents.
Facundo waited too long, didn’t show confidence.l, I was disappointed. Carter was nails, opponent wanted to lose by decision, and Starocci made it happen. SVN…come on…you are so much better than that. Bartlett missed in a 6 pointer, he came ready to scrap, needed more action in the 3rd but not a bad match

Jeff Byers just said Vespa is going to be wrestling the next few matches for PS. Not sure about what the story is with Steen. Maybe he beats Steen? I dont know. Interesting...
Well, short of placing at Bigs, Steen is out for nationals, so maybe Vespa is 'scooting' past him in the room. If Cael thinks he has a better chance of placing and qualifying it's the move that has to be made.

I’d love to know how many COMMITTED shots each wrestler took, but I was disappointed in Beau, SVN, Facundo and CStar EFFORTs tonight. Tough competition for each, but would have liked to have seen these 4 be more aggressive on their feet. For 3 of them, losing while only taking 1 or 2 shots is not good. I’d rather lose by 6 and being more active. A wins a win, but not our best night of wrestling from my perspective. But a work in process until March. I suspect everyone will figure it out by then.

Reactions: Grass and pish69
Vespa with his 1 takedown on Spencer matched the number of takedowns we got from Bartlett, SVN, Haines, Facundo, Starocci and Dean.

Who would’ve thought.
How many total did Iowa have? Vespa’s 1 might be a healthy % of Iowa’s total

Reading all this pre and post match banter.......it appears that only one guy is posting vulgar and demeaning insults. Strange.....since his predictions turned out to be the more delusional. Sad that he is a PSU fan. Be humble and Pay up. Everyone that won tonight deserved to win. Everyone that lost tonight....frankly.....deserved to lose. Period. Glad PSU won. They did it with dignity. Wish some posters would as well. Iowa fought hard and is underrated. Glad nobody was injured. Now......on to the next challenge.

Oh, the one who predicted RBY wouldn't Major either. RBY had him majored.... on his way to a TF.... then pinned him. Yea, we were all "delusional" saying RBY would Major or better. LMAO
on his way to a tf? perhaps the dumbest post to date.

At least Iowa shows up and fights even when the odds are against them. Same dual with an Ohio State - and same odds - and we bury them. I still think of that 2019 dual when people were saying that OSU was an underdog, but it could be tight. It was over after Nick Lee - and then Nickal clowned Moore to end the beating

Clear as day what happened.

Teske did not shoot for 6:50 of his match. Teske finally shot, and RBY stuck him with a cradle.

Tommy & Terry told the rest of their kids who were overmatched or coin flips, don't bother ever taking a shot.
Just tie up, hand fight, square up & put everyone to sleep.
What a garbage style of wrestling.
Best post of the night

By my post name people probably think I'm one the annoying fans that yells "Stalling". I am not.
I get more aggravated when top man does nothing more than when a guy is getting pummeled on bottom. It's an easy call to call stall on bottom,than hit guy on top for doing nothing.
When 2 guys are doing a waltz for the first period, bang both of them. The sport needs more action and a ref can help create it

Last edited:
Just got in so no time to process everything but here's a few from tonight.

wbaxAXT.jpg

3pGXpQP.jpg

6wmGiX3.jpg

Good win and went kind of expected (I had 22-12). I expect Van Ness and Facundo to get better come March and take those matches.

RBY was MVP. Followed by Kerk. I don’t think Cass has any clue what to do against Kerk anymore. Wasn’t close to a takedown and if Kerk wanted to could go get more
MVP was Marco Vespa. Yeah, I said it, a guy who got tech'd was the MVP. LOL. Love the moxy. "Here, kid, here's your first and possibly only dual of your college career, and, oh yeah, it's against the most dominant wrestler in a generation who has pinned 4 straight top 10 opponents." "Sure thing, thanks, coach. I'm going to take the head, pick the ankle, and dive into a cradle right off the whistle and pin him in 15 seconds, you just watch." Had that worked, that whole arena was ready to explode.

Vespa and Kuhn were both this close to never having to buy a beer ever again if a PSU fan is around. They still have great stories to tell their grandkids -- just have to leave out the endings. I'd buy them a beer anyway just to hear them tell it.

Marco Vespa circa 2073:

“GrandPa, can you tell us about wrestling for Penn State?”

Sure boys! Well it was the biggest match of the year. We were #1 wrestling #2 Iowa at home at the highest attended indoor dual in NCAA history. I was our backup then behind a multiple time Pennsylvania States champion — the greatest wrestling state in the nation.

I figured I wasn’t wrestling and our legendary coach, the greatest of all time hands down, walks past our starter and says with a deathly serious look, “Marco, I have been watching the beatings you have been putting on Nico in the room. You are the only guy we have that can take on this top 10 wrestler of all time, #1 ranked, 3 time NCAA champion from Iowa via Pennsylvania and have a chance to win.” I looked at him with the stare of a hungry lion and said, “Coach, I am your man. That’s what we do!”

When the match started I came out like wildfire. Within seconds I have him on the floor in a cradle and I can feel him sweating bullets. I look over and see an Iowa coach chewing his shoe and rocking like a baby. With the help of an average referee my opponent breaks my hold.

“Oh wow, GrandPa, how did it end?”

Well boys, it has been a long time and GrandPa’s memory is a little fuzzy. I don’t remember the exact score, but I got the only takedown and he didn’t score on me past the 1st period. It was a nail biter, but I lost a close one! The next day the headlines read, “Iowa’s GOAT Survives a Scare From Game Nittany Lion!”

“Ooh! Aah!”

Well, enough for now, boys. How about one of you grabbing me a White Claw before you go to bed?

Last edited:
So what was this (Warner post match per an observer): “Literally grabbed terry by his shoulders started shaking him and screaming in his face.. then got real emotional and Spencer & marinelli ushered him off the floor.”.

Sounds like Warner had about enough of mini Terry’s shit

Interesting, Iowa manages 2 takedowns in the dual. Yeah, takedowns were hard to come by and a lot of good wrestlers, but come on, 2 takedowns?
The match was classic PSU vs. Iowa. PSU had 7 TDs besides Brooks and his 9 vs. a game 165lber. But Vespa was game, too, so those 2 matches were a push. Other bouts were grinders but for RBYs pin. Woods and Murin tough on top and Dean and Kerk tougher on top. Haines and Kennedy in squeakers. CStar in a sleeper.

Reactions: RandyL
He thought they might RBY 7 back points on that cradle.
fair point i suppose. although it would be 6. but the way he was phrasing it in my mind was more/less like an RBY dominated match from neutral/top. It wasn’t, however he got the fall and it was a pretty damn good move. he is, after all, a national champion.

Just in my mind prior to spencer lee, tech falls are usually a more of a take down, let up scenario with some back points here or there. You know, not just relentlessly sending someone there and calling it a night because at the end of the day… everyone has other things to do.

Well, short of placing at Bigs, Steen is out for nationals, so maybe Vespa is 'scooting' past him in the room. If Cael thinks he has a better chance of placing and qualifying it's the move that has to be made.
Vespa has never won a D1 match… I’ll be shocked if he’s beating Steen in the room. Steen is either sick or banged up.

Vespa has never won a D1 match… I’ll be shocked if he’s beating Steen in the room. Steen is either sick or banged up.
wow. spencer must be fd somewhere that he tech falls someone who was told not to be pinned only goal…:. guess he’s somewhat of a do getter but doesn’t try hard enough lmfao 😂

Response is this: Can you finish a position on an elite guy? No. Make it out as some sort of victory for your mid weights in s hilarious because they all looked unimpressive. Although Starocci’s record is fine, he’s simply not fun to watch. If I wanted OK St., I’d tune in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT