ADVERTISEMENT

Wow...Penn State opens as 10-point favorite against Iowa...bet up to 14

Iowa is a tough and physical opponent. PSU did not play well against ILL but still won easily and exceeded the spread in our first away game. ILL also plays us tough as does their coach BB.

But moving onto Iowa, their schedule so far:
  • Beat Utah State, not to be confused with Utah, 24 14. utah state is 0-3 with other losses to memphis and Boise State
  • Beat Iowa State at Iowa State 20-13, Iowa State got beat but Ohio University Saturday
  • Beat Western MI 41-10
Iowa hasn't played a good team and hasn't been tested. Their best game was last week against Western MI but you also have to look and see that W MI lost to Syracuse 48-7 the week before.
Also, Iowa State had lost 5 of their starters, including QB, due to gambling.

Reactions: Obliviax
Wisconsin has never played football like the service academies. Not one school in the Big Ten runs the triple option or option.

Style closer than anyone else. They were a running team much more so than anyone else. They were also systemic. Not the triple option, but they relied on big OLs and running the ball. Their success was largely dependent upon the quality of OL produced and RBs they recruited. If they could find a kid who could slightly throw, excellent, but wasn't a prerequisite.

They didn't change schemes based on coaches or the talent on hand. It was a system that the setup, similar to Iowa's defensive Cover 2.

Style closer than anyone else. They were a running team much more so than anyone else. They were also systemic. Not the triple option, but they relied on big OLs and running the ball. Their success was largely dependent upon the quality of OL produced and RBs they recruited. If they could find a kid who could slightly throw, excellent, but wasn't a prerequisite.

They didn't change schemes based on coaches or the talent on hand. It was a system that the setup, similar to Iowa's defensive Cover 2.
So they were nothing like the service academies. I gotcha.

Reactions: lazydave841
Iowa is a tough and physical opponent. PSU did not play well against ILL but still won easily and exceeded the spread in our first away game. ILL also plays us tough as does their coach BB.

But moving onto Iowa, their schedule so far:
  • Beat Utah State, not to be confused with Utah, 24 14. utah state is 0-3 with other losses to memphis and Boise State
  • Beat Iowa State at Iowa State 20-13, Iowa State got beat but Ohio University Saturday
  • Beat Western MI 41-10
Iowa hasn't played a good team and hasn't been tested. Their best game was last week against Western MI but you also have to look and see that W MI lost to Syracuse 48-7 the week before.

Still won thanks to 5 turnovers. This team has holes. Soft up the middle. OL is not a strength. Special teams is a problem.

Iowa is not a blitz-happy team, but they will definitely stuff the box with 7 and 8 players within a couple yards of the LOS.

That won't work if we spread the ball around and get rid of it quickly. If they do that without blitzing then they'll get burned with the deep ball. As I wrote, everything depends on the diversity of our passing game. We don't run well without it.

I wonder if it is our pass scheme that makes our WRs easy to defend? Against the best teams it seems like their DBs are inside the WR cuts reducing the separation. Do we have a tendency issue?

I think when you're a 14-point favorite, you'd prefer not to introduce outside factors like bad weather into the equation.

That said, the current forecast is calling for most of the rain to fall in the afternoon followed by a 40% chance of drizzle during the game. If that's how it plays out, there shouldn't be a huge impact. But 4-5 days away, the forecast for the timing and amount of precipitation is not super accurate.
It will be a close call with a lot of uncertainty of storm track. Unfortunately there is a coastal storm coming north and east of I-81 is supposed to get drenched. Hope it stays off the coast. I think Iowa is probably praying for rain.

It will be a close call with a lot of uncertainty of storm track. Unfortunately there is a coastal storm coming north and east of I-81 is supposed to get drenched. Hope it stays off the coast. I think Iowa is probably praying for rain.
No doubt the weather can shake things up big time on gameday. If that coastal storm rolls through and dumps rain north and east of the 81, we could have a real sloppy mess on our hands.

That kind of wetness leads to butterfingers all over the field. Fumbles, dropped passes, the works. In those conditions, gotta go with the squad that takes care of the rock.

You know Iowa's probably praying for a monsoon. That rain and muck would slow down PSU's passing attack and even the odds a little. The Hawkeyes love uglying it up.

But both these teams are well-coached and ready to grind it out in whatever weather. A little rain ain't stopping no midfield slugfest in the B1G. Just gotta strap up the chin strap tighter and embrace the mud bowl!

Hard to believe Illinois was beaten easily by Kansas the week before. But, then again they just barely beat Toledo in the closing seconds. If Iowa puts 6-7 guys at the LOS, and has a DT anywhere near as explosive as Newton, we may have a problem if this weeks practice doesn't adjust with the OL play.

Why we didn't capitalize on Illinois having one safety in center field, I don't know. The entire secondary was wide open beyond 5 yards. Like to see them play that defense against the Buckeyes. Their WR's will have a field day.

Newton was one of the most disruptive DT's I have seen in the Big 10 in years. A lowly 3 star, 250 lb. DT out of Florida.
If they stay patient, use the backs as receivers, thrownin bubble screens and shorter routes, thee defense will have to creep to the line of scrimmage. Will Allar have the patience to pick his spots. If so, Iowa does not have enough to stay close.

It would be foolish to say Iowa doesn't have a shot. Of course they do. They are the closest thing to a Joe Paterno team left in college football. Joe won a lot of games the way that Iowa wins -- tough bend-but-don't-break defense, conservative, patient offense and a good solid kicking game.

I fully expect Iowa to be a step up from Illinois -- Illinois may have better athletes in some places but Iowa has tradition and a team identity and always plays with tenacity and emotion.

Obviously Iowa will try to run the ball and keep the PSU offense off the field. Defensively they'll gladly give up 3 yards per play and count on being able to stop PSU in 3rd down situations. If they can do both, and limit PSU explosive plays, they keep it close and it comes down to a coin flip at the end. And Iowa (like Paterno) knows how to eke out a close win.

When PSU has dominated Iowa it's because PSU had a lot of speed that Iowa couldn't handle. This year's PSU team has speed offensively but I don't know if the offense is developed enough to really take advantage of that speed yet. They had explosive plays against West Virginia but not against Ill. because of the Ill. pass rush.

Where I would worry if I were Iowa is that PSU has a lot of upside potential, a lot of room to improve, and they might, playing at home, be a lot better team than they were in the 1st half against Illinois.

If PSU can put Iowa into 2nd and long or 3rd and long, then the PSU D is built to produce turnovers. And offensively, PSU has speed to put a lot of points on the board if they can get the Iowa defense to bite just a little bit on some misdirection.

So who knows but the line is probably about right. Iowa's an underdog but at the same time can win this game if PSU offense can't operate.
This post is excellent.

I'm a bit confused: Should we just cancel the game or perhaps simply forfeit to Iowa because it might rain? I was under the assumption that both teams have to play if it rains, and I also foolishly assumed that football is a game played in the weather elements, while baseball is still a sport that isn't played in rain or snow?

Shame on the coaches for fielding a team incapable of functionality in any inclement weather while the other 129 D1 schools have teams that can still play outside if it rains.

Oh well, forfeit now. 3-1 and on to Northwestern unless it rains of course.

💯 agree! The crap Iowa fans pulled last time we played Iowa has this team plenty motivated. We lost PJ in that game to a season ending injury with fans booing and the special teams coach flopping on the ground mocking players. There’s no love loss in this game. I think things could get really chippy.
I think that event was taken out of context quite honestly. I absolutely understand PSU fans perspective on this however. I was at that game. Iowa fans hadn't booed injuries before and I've been to a lot of games at Kinnick. From our perspective, it was evident that injuries were disrupting our flow on offense at key times, which, as an Iowa fan, let me tell you, we don't need help in that regard lol. The players would then get up, walk, and play two play later after the media timeouts. This occurred many times. I'm just telling you what happened because I was looking for that after the third injury time out.

No Iowa fan was booing an injured player if it was real, as it appeared one or two unfortunately were. Iowa fans had a game against MSU years ago that this occurred and it was quite blatant. We're sensitive to that as we lost that game and it only happened when we were on offense, just like the PSU game.

It wasn't meant to be inciting or to upset PSU fans, I can assure you of that. I know none of this will change any thoughts but the weather was cool so cramps were unlikely, alcohol was involved after a long tailgate, for a game that Iowa fans had billed as one of the biggest in our history and was slipping away perceptively by something we couldn't control. I'm sure many Iowa fans were in the tribal collective at that point but no, we didn't want any PSU players actually hurt. So yes, the boos did occur but the boos were meant for Franklin anyway.

• Sad
Reactions: PSUeng and WildTurk
That’s the thing I don’t get. I see a lot of “if we play like we did against Illinois…” type of comments and I’m like “You mean an aggressive defense that gets 5 turnovers?”

It's only counted when our opponents do it. Notice the negative type posters, they act like Altmeyer just dropped back in perfect pockets and chucked bad passes up. No mention of the pressure he was under. No thought about our players being in position to make plays. Don't forget, he was an alright QB...until we shut him down.

The players would then get up, walk, and play two play later after the media timeouts. T

One of those players was our #1 safety that year, Brisker. He dealt with a shoulder/stinger type injury the entire season and left for one play in multiple games.

The other, I believe, was LB Jacobs. I think he missed 5-10 plays after going down before returning, but I don't quite remember.

It's only counted when our opponents do it. Notice the negative type posters, they act like Altmeyer just dropped back in perfect pockets and chucked bad passes up. No mention of the pressure he was under. No thought about our players being in position to make plays. Don't forget, he was an alright QB...until we shut him down.

One of those players was our #1 safety that year, Brisker. He dealt with a shoulder/stinger type injury the entire season and left for one play in multiple games.

The other, I believe, was LB Jacobs. I think he missed 5-10 plays after going down before returning, but I don't quite remember.
I remember telling my brother during the game that it was a good thing we didn't have to play at Happy Valley again because you all were going to be pissed with our fanbase (the division alignment was supposed to end). Whelp, here we are lol, and what's more, I'm going to the game as well.

I was only trying to inform PSU fans because we have our assholes, for sure, but as a collective, it wasn't meant to be vindictive as much as geared towards the refs and Franklin is all.

I remember telling me brother during the game that it was a good thing we didn't have to play at Happy Valley again because you all were going to be pissed with our fanbase (the division alignment was supposed to end). Whelp, here we are lol, and what's more, I'm going to the game as well.

I was only trying to inform PSU fans because we have our assholes, for sure, but as a collective, it wasn't meant to be vindictive as much as geared towards the refs and Franklin is all.

No worries compadré! I'm sure some fans will show their âss but I hope you have a great experience. It was annoying in the moment, but had we won the game, it wouldn't have been mentioned again. Just my guess. Winning heals. Lol

I remember telling my brother during the game that it was a good thing we didn't have to play at Happy Valley again because you all were going to be pissed with our fanbase (the division alignment was supposed to end). Whelp, here we are lol, and what's more, I'm going to the game as well.

Booing a coach for players getting injured is pretty stupid.

But your coaches poured gas on the fire both during and after the game. You know, the rat smelling comment after the game and the coordinator with his dramatic falling down during the game.

And Mustipher was one that was lost for the season that day.

But your coaches poured gas on the fire both during and after the game. You know, the rat smelling comment after the game and the coordinator with his dramatic falling down during the game.

Exactly, Iowa is in the running with Rutgers as the biggest bunch of dbags in the conference.

I think that event was taken out of context quite honestly. I absolutely understand PSU fans perspective on this however. I was at that game. Iowa fans hadn't booed injuries before and I've been to a lot of games at Kinnick. From our perspective, it was evident that injuries were disrupting our flow on offense at key times, which, as an Iowa fan, let me tell you, we don't need help in that regard lol. The players would then get up, walk, and play two play later after the media timeouts. This occurred many times. I'm just telling you what happened because I was looking for that after the third injury time out.

No Iowa fan was booing an injured player if it was real, as it appeared one or two unfortunately were. Iowa fans had a game against MSU years ago that this occurred and it was quite blatant. We're sensitive to that as we lost that game and it only happened when we were on offense, just like the PSU game.

It wasn't meant to be inciting or to upset PSU fans, I can assure you of that. I know none of this will change any thoughts but the weather was cool so cramps were unlikely, alcohol was involved after a long tailgate, for a game that Iowa fans had billed as one of the biggest in our history and was slipping away perceptively by something we couldn't control. I'm sure many Iowa fans were in the tribal collective at that point but no, we didn't want any PSU players actually hurt. So yes, the boos did occur but the boos were meant for Franklin anyway.
I’d personally be furious with any PSU fan or coaches who pulled this crap. You don’t boo injured players and coaches should never act this unprofessional. The player down on video was out best defensive player.

I’d personally be furious with any PSU fan or coaches who pulled this crap. You don’t boo injured players and coaches should never act this unprofessional. The player down on video was out best defensive player.

Iowa averaged less than 4 yards per play that game. But they averaged almost 15 yards each play before a PSU injury timeout.

The announcers on TV even said something to the effect of every Penn State injury seemed to come after an Iowa big play, and Iowa doesn't get many big plays as you know.

Full context of the situation needs to be understood. Nobody knew about a season ending injury at the time. Remember drunk people that tailgate all day quickly become sheep in a stadium. A few dozen start booing then all of a sudden most people are booing with a lot of them with no clue what the hell is even going on. It was an unfortunate series of events that day that held emotions high.

I still say something needs to be done about repeated stoppages for injured players continuously "cramping" or whatever causes them to go down over and over. They should have to sit out the series or following series possibly. There is no right answer

Reactions: AEG82
Iowa averaged less than 4 yards per play that game. But they averaged almost 15 yards each play before a PSU injury timeout.

Where did the 2nd stat come from? Iowa only had 5 plays over 15 yards the entire game. 1 of them was a TD (meaning if somebody got hurt, it wouldn't matter for the next play so that one is out). I'm supposed to believe that on the other 4 was precisely when our kids feigned an injury?

I’m guessing that the first 2 or 3 Iowa injuries are met with mock booing- not to pick on the player or question their injury but more of a mocking response to Iowa fans from last year.

I’m guessing that the first 2 or 3 Iowa injuries are met with mock booing- not to pick on the player or question their injury but more of a mocking response to Iowa fans from last year.
Is that supposed to justify it? If we do that we can never complain about what they did again.

Reactions: WildTurk
Where did the 2nd stat come from? Iowa only had 5 plays over 15 yards the entire game. 1 of them was a TD (meaning if somebody got hurt, it wouldn't matter for the next play so that one is out). I'm supposed to believe that on the other 4 was precisely when our kids feigned an injury?
Go back and watch the game and note the plays when the injuries were happening. Listen to the announcers. I'm know some of it was coincidence but no way all of it was imo. This is the last I will speak of it here because I know my opinion doesn't mean much. I'm done thinking about it now almost 2 years later.

I hope everyone stays healthy after this coming Saturday's game. Looking forward to watching some hard hitting D-1 ball in prime time!

I agree, he shouldn't have done that and I smiled and shook my head when he did as I recall thinking that we would pay for that the next time we go to Happy Valley. Here we are.

I get why PSU fans would be upset about it and I would feel slighted in reverse. The context U provided is merely to state why it was occuring at Kinnick on that specific occurrence, right or wrong. I still hate MSU to this day for many perceived slights (I abhor them) so I get it if many PSU fans never get over it.

Reactions: WildTurk
Point spreads are tricky, it could be a fluke play flipping the spread on way or another. It doesn’t really indicate a certain level of dominance.

Updated forecast calls for significant rain in the afternoon lessening to a drizzle by kick-off and then tapering off entirely for much of the game. Hopefully that timeline will hold.

Updated forecast calls for significant rain in the afternoon lessening to a drizzle by kick-off and then tapering off entirely for much of the game. Hopefully that timeline will hold.
Is that accuweather?

I've had cause to follow weather reports extensively because I've had several personal events that took place outside over the last four weeks. I can tell you Accuweather was so inaccurate I quit paying attention. Sunday, I attended the Pirates game and Accuweather had it raining the entire day while the Weather channel had 40% chance with drizzel. It was drizzling pregame, cloudy at the start and beautiful blue skies by the 6th inning.

These people simply have no idea what they are doing more than 24 hours before the time. And I mean none of them.

Just checking now, weather channel calling for 62 & Cloudy with occasional rain at 57%. Accuweather is at 67 with rain probability of 25% chance of rain. I'd bet money that neither is accurate at this point (three days out)

Is that accuweather?

I've had cause to follow weather reports extensively because I've had several personal events that took place outside over the last four weeks. I can tell you Accuweather was so inaccurate I quit paying attention. Sunday, I attended the Pirates game and Accuweather had it raining the entire day while the Weather channel had 40% chance with drizzel. It was drizzling pregame, cloudy at the start and beautiful blue skies by the 6th inning.

These people simply have no idea what they are doing more than 24 hours before the time. And I mean none of them.

Just checking now, weather channel calling for 62 & Cloudy with occasional rain at 57%. Accuweather is at 67 with rain probability of 25% chance of rain. I'd bet money that neither is accurate at this point (three days out

I will always remember the first line of one of my Graduate level Meteorology Books at PSU written by a well known and respected PSU professor - The weather is defined by a series of seven partial differential equations for which there are currently no known solutions to man.

Error terms that are often ignored in mathematical equations are difference makers in forecasting the weather.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT