ADVERTISEMENT

Wow...Penn State opens as 10-point favorite against Iowa...bet up to 14

Jerry

May 29, 2001
It's right around 14 now at most books. I mean, I'm confident we'll win. But that's a lot of points to give against a team that looks like the favorite to win the West at this point.

Granted, best in the West is not an amazing achievement, but still.

After Iowa, it's clear sailing (Northwestern and Massachusetts) to the showdown in Columbus.

I think a lot will depend on our offensive game plan. There is no secret to Iowa. They don't hide what they do. Do we get Allar into a rhythm that then opens running lanes? I think that is the key to this game.

Reactions: Jerry
I am kind of surprised given how poorly we played yesterday and how few of our faults can be corrected in a week's time. I am of the opinion that what we saw yesterday was on full display the previous two games but didn't fully manifest it itself because the level of competition was extremely low. The line isn't good. We have a rookie QB how looked below average against a Big Ten defense that isn't half as good as Iowa's. The defense is good but are consistently pushed around in the running game. So far we have been able to cover it up with bringing extra bodies. I haven't fully looked at Iowa but right now I would take them for the win based on what I have seen. They have the top tight end pair in the Big Ten. Probably the second best QB behind JJ McCarthy, solid backs, solid line and the best or second best defense in the league. Their biggest issue is the OC, and he isn't half as bad as John Donovan so there is that.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU_Nut
I am kind of surprised given how poorly we played yesterday and how few of our faults can be corrected in a week's time. I am of the opinion that what we saw yesterday was on full display the previous two games but didn't fully manifest it itself because the level of competition was extremely low. The line isn't good. We have a rookie QB how looked below average against a Big Ten defense that isn't half as good as Iowa's. The defense is good but are consistently pushed around in the running game. So far we have been able to cover it up with bringing extra bodies. I haven't fully looked at Iowa but right now I would take them for the win based on what I have seen. They have the top tight end pair in the Big Ten. Probably the second best QB behind JJ McCarthy, solid backs, solid line and the best or second best defense in the league. Their biggest issue is the OC, and he isn't half as bad as John Donovan so there is that.
Lol you do that

The only thing you left out was that we shouldn’t even bother to show up. But since it’s a home game you couldn’t include that

I'm still not sold on Iowa's O. It does look a bit improved over its putrid performance last year, but until the second half of the Western Michigan contest yesterday, the running game was still missing in action.

So far they've beaten three mediocre teams and in the process only managed 100 yards rushing against the likes of Utah State and Iowa State.

On the flip side, I am sold on Penn State's D. I think they're a lot better than Iowa's O. And with the electric atmosphere in the stadium at night, I don't see Iowa winning the game. But I'm not sure I'm brave enough to lay 13-14 points.

Reactions: bison13 and 81b&w
I'm still not sold on Iowa's O. It does look a bit improved over its putrid performance last year, but until the second half of the Western Michigan contest yesterday, the running game was still missing in action.

So far they've beaten three mediocre teams and in the process only managed 100 yards rushing against the likes of Utah State and Iowa State.

On the flip side, I am sold on Penn State's D. I think they're a lot better than Iowa's O. And with the electric atmosphere in the stadium at night, I don't see Iowa winning the game. But I'm not sure I'm brave enough to lay 13-14 points.
We've covered the spread the last three weeks I believe but frickin Iowa is a tough call. I agree with your assessment of our D

It's right around 14 now at most books. I mean, I'm confident we'll win. But that's a lot of points to give against a team that looks like the favorite to win the West at this point.

Granted, best in the West is not an amazing achievement, but still.

After Iowa, it's clear sailing (Northwestern and Massachusetts) to the showdown in Columbus.

Hard to gauge Iowa since they haven't played a B1G opponent. They're always physical defensively but they play straight up - no extra man in the box and very little blitzing. Iowa depends on having one or two great defensive linemen to harrass QBs. If Iowa has anybody like #4 they will be tough. If the PSU O-line can protect Allar pretty well, PSU has the advantage obviously.

Iowa plays zone and does some tricky things in their secondary to fool QBs into interceptions. Hopefully Allar will have studied what they do because Iowa relies on turnovers to win.

Preseason there was excitement in Iowa about the transfer QB from Michigan, their excellent TE and a receiver corps that is supposedly the best they've had in a while. But so far this season not much sign of offensive explosiveness.

What? The TE Luke Lachey is out with an injury. McNamara has not played well and still is fighting an injury. Top 2 backs have ankle injuries and starter did not start or play. Other only played a few downs. Who have we played that is good. We will see but. OL is still in question. I would not touch this game.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
It's amazing how nothing you said is correct. The only real issue we had yesterday was our WR corps. IL put an extra man in the box and played man coverage. Our WR's had a hard time getting open just like we did last year vs. OSU and UM.

How can you say we got pushed around in the rushing game? We gave up 60 yards rushing.

Shocking. And Iowa’s best TE is injured. And if we win, you will say Iowa wasn’t any good. We know your game.

I see that many of you haven't yet put Wallow Schween on ignore. Why give him the satisfaction? I no longer see his inane commentary but I see many responses to it. Trust me, you'll soon forget his name once you use the trusty ignore function. Once the rest of you do, his name will disappear.

I think ever betting on a game Iowa is in is fool's gold. Never trust Iowa to not mess up everything. Especially an Iowa vs. PSU game. They're always closer than what "experts" think. I think we lose the game but I'm telling you what we all already know, Iowa will be in the game until the end or reasonably close to it. I think it will be a good victory for PSU at the end of the season regardless by how much. There is a chance Iowa wins but it'll be a low one, no doubt.

Shocking. And Iowa’s best TE is injured. And if we win, you will say Iowa wasn’t any good. We know your game.
True, his injury looked bad and he's a major component on an already anemic offense. All Jr. is better though in my opinion and I love Lachey. Both will be pros. That one hurt...bad!

I think ever betting on a game Iowa is in is fool's gold. Never trust Iowa to not mess up everything. Especially an Iowa vs. PSU game. They're always closer than what "experts" think. I think we lose the game but I'm telling you what we all already know, Iowa will be in the game until the end or reasonably close to it. I think it will be a good victory for PSU at the end of the season regardless by how much. There is a chance Iowa wins but it'll be a low one, no doubt.
Just curious as I’ve seen you post a few times on here that you don’t think Iowa has a shot in this game.

I’m a Hawkeye fan and with the way our running game keeps improving and the smaller players PSU plays on D-line, I think we have a decent chance in this game
True, his injury looked bad and he's a major component on an already anemic offense. All Jr. is better though in my opinion and I love Lachey. Both will be pros. That one hurt...bad!

Just curious as I’ve seen you post a few times on here that you don’t think Iowa has a shot in this game.

I’m a Hawkeye fan and with the way our running game keeps improving and the smaller players PSU plays on D-line, I think we have a decent chance in this game
We always have a chance but PSU is out for our blood this time. My hope is PSU come out on fire and the tide gets slowed by Iowa to play our game (kind of like 2009). If we can quell PSU initially, we're in it. If PSU scores TD's on the first two drives, we're toast. That's the key. I personally think they'll get 10 on the first two drives and it'll be tough for us. I'm thinking something like 27-13 PSU at worst. Hope I'm wrong though. Very easily could be 27-24 as well though.

Reactions: christoph
Boy, give me some of what you’re smoking.

I wouldn't say our DL is small, unless you mean our DEs, who are 250-260ish. Newton was just 295 but he played like he was 325. Our scheme just seems directed at disruptive and confusion vs being tough against the run. The 1v1s it creates has led to some missed tackles or guys missing gaps, but nobody has taken advantage of it (we've given up 7 ppg with our 1s in).

• The Big Ten East is a combined 18-3 (and one of those losses was to another east opponent)
  • The Big Ten West is a combined 11-10
Iowa is the only undefeated team in the west but they haven't played a quality opponent. That said I believe they are better than Illinois who gave us a battle for 3 quarters. They presumably still have a great defense and this year they've added a proven QB. It's good that this game is at home.

CFN Preseason Analysis of Iowa's defense:

The defense was incredible, and it will be again. There are some big missing pieces - like tackling machine linebackers Jack Campbell and Seth Benson, CB Riley Moss, and backup-turned-13th-overall-pick Lukas Van Ness - but don’t expect much if any drop off from the D that finished No. 2 in the nation in total and scoring defense, sixth in pass defense, 11th against the run, and tenth in third down stops.

The secondary will be a killer. Moss was excellent at one corner, but everyone else is back around future NFL starting corner Cooper DeJean - all he did was everything with 75 tackles, five picks, and three scores off those interceptions. Everyone will be helped by another solid pass rush, even without Van Ness. Deontae Craig led the team with 7.5 sacks, Joe Evans is a good hybrid on the other side, and …

The tackles will be terrific. Seniors Noah Shannon and Logan Lee can move, but they’re at their best gumming up the works. The linebackers - helped by landing Virginia’s Nick Jackson, more on that in a moment - will be the Iowa linebackers. They’ll combine for well over 250 stops and eat up everything the line doesn’t get to.

• The Big Ten East is a combined 18-3 (and one of those losses was to another east opponent)
Iowa is the only undefeated team in the west but they haven't played a quality opponent. That said I believe they are better than Illinois who gave us a battle for 3 quarters. They presumably still have a great defense and this year they've added a proven QB. It's good that this game is at home.

The defense was incredible, and it will be again. There are some big missing pieces - like tackling machine linebackers Jack Campbell and Seth Benson, CB Riley Moss, and backup-turned-13th-overall-pick Lukas Van Ness - but don’t expect much if any drop off from the D that finished No. 2 in the nation in total and scoring defense, sixth in pass defense, 11th against the run, and tenth in third down stops.

The secondary will be a killer. Moss was excellent at one corner, but everyone else is back around future NFL starting corner Cooper DeJean - all he did was everything with 75 tackles, five picks, and three scores off those interceptions. Everyone will be helped by another solid pass rush, even without Van Ness. Deontae Craig led the team with 7.5 sacks, Joe Evans is a good hybrid on the other side, and …

The tackles will be terrific. Seniors Noah Shannon and Logan Lee can move, but they’re at their best gumming up the works. The linebackers - helped by landing Virginia’s Nick Jackson, more on that in a moment - will be the Iowa linebackers. They’ll combine for well over 250 stops and eat up everything the line doesn’t get to.

Yup, thanks, in the Iowa tradition, they're tough on D, no doubt about it.

The league's divisional imbalance is ridiculous and worse than ever this year -- check out the results of the past weekend's games -- but thank heavens for the restructure in 2024 when the West Coast teams enter the conference. Can't happen soon enough for me.

Good Lord, our guys must be terrified. Can we just call in sick on Saturday?

Yup, thanks, in the Iowa tradition, they're tough on D, no doubt about it.

The league's divisional imbalance is ridiculous and worse than ever this year -- check out the results of the past weekend's games -- but thank heavens for the restructure in 2024 when the West Coast teams enter the conference. Can't happen soon enough for me.

The conference just doesn't have any depth. Wisconsin remained relevant with a style closer to the Service Academy's than anyone else and now without that in their pocket, they are just like everyone else except in a part of the country with few recruits.

The rest need luck and senior heavy teams just to earn the right to be smacked in the ccg.

Reactions: bdgan and Jerry
To quote Bryce Harper clown post bro.

No sense for Penn State to even show up huh?

I heard Iowas top TE left the game and was on crutches.

Reactions: bison13
I think PSU wins at home but I have no reason to think Iowa will be easier than Illinois. Do you disagree?
Who knows. Frankly, I think Iowa at PSU will be similar to Illinois at home against PSU. I think the line reflects that Iowa’s “best win” was 20-13 over Iowa State, the same Iowa State that lost several players due to betting, including their starting QB. Iowa State also lost 10-7 to Ohio (that’s the Bobcats not the Buckeyes). While many have dissed PSU’s comfortable win over WVU, my guess is that the oddsmakers noticed that WVU beat Pitt despite losing the starting QB (who played fairly well against PSU IMO) on the 3rd play of the game last night. But hey it’s football and anything can happen. I also.think that PSU had yet to play well offensively and they still have won comfortably. Probably have my blue and white glasses on but I think Allar will play better this week.

Reactions: bdgan
We didnt play well vs. Illinois and got screwed by the refs. We are playing a night game at home in the whiteout game. I think we should win handily.
Home field advantage and the white out will help us tremendously, I think. Also being a night game will help. But you never know in college football.

Reactions: psu00

That would be the same smaller PSU players who held Illinois to 62 yards rushing and 2.1 yards per rush I presume?

Almost as big a dipshit as someone who says we have a two game season.
Two games define our season. We're expected to win the others.
If we lose any of the other 10 games (7 remaining) there's a problem and we'd have to beat Ohio State and Michigan to make up for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT