ADVERTISEMENT

Worth a second look

I watched 60 min highlight videos and Cephas has serious reciever skills. Don't be surprised if a simpler playbook and an OC who takes the time to know his skills result on a huge increase in production. His catches on the MD & MSU games were highlights.
IMHO, I do not think the staff has given up on him.
Sure hope you are right. And Meiga looks like a great athlete with potential. Just needs to work on his catching skills.

I watched 60 min highlight videos and Cephas has serious reciever skills. Don't be surprised if a simpler playbook and an OC who takes the time to know his skills result on a huge increase in production. His catches on the MD & MSU games were highlights.
The staff can't afford to give up on him. It's not like we're loaded with star WRs.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
he never seemed to know the correct route to run. Allar would throw the out to an open spot and Cephus ran the in cut. happened in multipole games. When they were in synch he did look like a legit receiver, just way to often running wrong route

A good coach would have spent time with and known which plays that each wr was shaky on. They only coach a handful.
I must be old school. I prefer that the players learn the playbook and execute their assignments on whatever play is called rather than the coaches try to figure out what each snowflake is comfortable with and is willing and able to perform in order for them to call the play. In my approach, those who can't produce need to sit or leave and the coach needs to recruit those who are capable replacements. I guess that in the scenario you describe, coaches who are not "good" must move on and the team needs to find someone who can adapt to the players.

I must be old school. I prefer that the players learn the playbook and execute their assignments on whatever play is called rather than the coaches try to figure out what each snowflake is comfortable with and is willing and able to perform in order for them to call the play. In my approach, those who can't produce need to sit or leave and the coach needs to recruit those who are capable replacements. I guess that in the scenario you describe, coaches who are not "good" must move on and the team needs to find someone who can adapt to the players.
is that really old school? that sounds like just plain not coaching

What have you achieved using your approach?

is that really old school? that sounds like just plain not coaching
Maybe. I suppose it depends on what you want in coaching. In one way, the coach must develop skills in the player so that the player can execute the game plan. In the other, the coach must adapt his game plan to conform to what the player wants. Both ways are coaching.

he never seemed to know the correct route to run. Allar would throw the out to an open spot and Cephus ran the in cut. happened in multipole games. When they were in synch he did look like a legit receiver, just way to often running wrong route
Why do the coaches have a play chart on the sidelines and why does the QB have a playbook on his wrist?

As Vince Lombardi asked his OC, "If the coach can't remember the plays then how do you expect the players to know the plays?"

Maybe. I suppose it depends on what you want in coaching. In one way, the coach must develop skills in the player so that the player can execute the game plan. In the other, the coach must adapt his game plan to conform to what the player wants. Both ways are coaching.
yeah that is true, but the reality is every player will have strengths and weaknesses. if a player has difficulty with particular routes or plays, the remedy should be working on that and adapting play calls to have the best chance of winning. if the answer is just replacing all the players and assuming the new ones won't have any weaknesses (which they will) that's a strategy with a pretty low probability of succeeding

This doesn't seem complicated. If a receiver runs the wrong route then he either did not put forward the effort to learn the plays, or has a learning disability. Either way it's imperative to get to the root cause, then take an appropriate action. Maybe there is a toxic attitude problem in the receiver room.

I see this as somewhat separate from coaching a receiver. If the potential isn't there send them to the portal. Obviously speed is necessary. Next time recruit better.

That is different from a skills issue, which can be coached based on the receiver's potential: Can the receiver run a crisp route, use his body well, shield himself from the defender, and make a high percentage of catches? I see these things as coachable. Our group was lacking.

In my view, simplification helps receivers but the real benefit is for the quarterback. When you start seeing a QB regress, after coming with great fundamentals, then something is terribly wrong. You don't have a good system to match the QB, which obviously must take into account other team weaknesses and strengths. How is it that some schools routinely produce first round quarterbacks, even Heisman winners, while other schools of equal prominence have little success?

I still wonder how we can put offensive linemen in the NFL while at the same time, as a unit, be unable to pick up stunts and blitzes. Something is very wrong there, and it's been going on for a long time. Linemen blocking the wrong people and not seeing the obvious. In this group we had a great LT, but not on the other side. Being short of a complete line has been typical. In the middle the better teams could beat them and pressure Allar, one of the reasons we failed to win our big games.

True but KISS.

This doesn't seem complicated. If a receiver runs the wrong route then he either did not put forward the effort to learn the plays, or has a learning disability. Either way it's imperative to get to the root cause, then take an appropriate action. Maybe there is a toxic attitude problem in the receiver room.

I see this as somewhat separate from coaching a receiver. If the potential isn't there send them to the portal. Obviously speed is necessary. Next time recruit better.

That is different from a skills issue, which can be coached based on the receiver's potential: Can the receiver run a crisp route, use his body well, shield himself from the defender, and make a high percentage of catches? I see these things as coachable. Our group was lacking.

In my view, simplification helps receivers but the real benefit is for the quarterback. When you start seeing a QB regress, after coming with great fundamentals, then something is terribly wrong. You don't have a good system to match the QB, which obviously must take into account other team weaknesses and strengths. How is it that some schools routinely produce first round quarterbacks, even Heisman winners, while other schools of equal prominence have little success?

I still wonder how we can put offensive linemen in the NFL while at the same time, as a unit, be unable to pick up stunts and blitzes. Something is very wrong there, and it's been going on for a long time. Linemen blocking the wrong people and not seeing the obvious. In this group we had a great LT, but not on the other side. Being short of a complete line has been typical. In the middle the better teams could beat them and pressure Allar, one of the reasons we failed to win our big games.
Or the playbook is too big and too complicated.

Why does the OC need a chart/playbook on the sideline? The coach is using HIS OWN offense and he has had years to learn that offense.

If a coach can't remember his own plays the tell us how a new player is supposed to memorize the same plays.

I suspect the coaching staff and some fans disagree with your assessment of Cephas.

The WR portal activity by PSU tells me all I need to know. They have zero confidence in the current WR room.

Cephas is basically another undersized, blue-collar, possession receiver with average speed. Penn State’s primary problem is that they have a WR roster filled with too many WRs like Cephas. They need deep threats with speed who are explosive and preferably difference makers.

Top tier teams with good corners make a living shutting down receivers with similar profiles as Cephas. Time for PSU to significantly upgrade the WR room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT