ADVERTISEMENT

Worst officiated game I've ever seen

Do nothing and it will continue. Replay was instituted because of Joe and it has helped. But these clowns are so brazen, they have learned even to override/ignore this. Even when the whole nation sees it! I like the idea of interviewing new conferences. Will send a clear message - enough is enough!

It is not as bad as it used to be. It used to be that we had to play beyond perfect vs. Michigan or there was no chance whatsoever. And hence we lost to them 9 or 10 straight times.

as we saw last night, we can now overcome the BS.

And, I have seen O'Neil make bad calls that favor us. So I am still not sure we are dealing with the same problem we had in the first 15 years of B1G membership.

I just hope we don't see O'Neil for Michigan, MSU or OSU. I think he is terrible.

It is not as bad as it used to be. It used to be that we had to play beyond perfect vs. Michigan or there was no chance whatsoever. And hence we lost to them 9 or 10 straight times.

as we saw last night, we can now overcome the BS.

And, I have seen O'Neil make bad calls that favor us. So I am still not sure we are dealing with the same problem we had in the first 15 years of B1G membership.

I just hope we don't see O'Neil for Michigan, MSU or OSU. I think he is terrible.
Dude - that is some wishful thinking. O’Neil’s calls (everyone of meaning) go against us. The best replay overrule should tell you all you need to know. It is systematic, consistent, and deliberate!

Dude - that is some wishful thinking. O’Neil’s calls (everyone of meaning) go against us. The best replay overrule should tell you all you need to know. It is systematic, consistent, and deliberate!

I don't agree. The replay official was the one who overruled it. O'Neil's crew on the field called TD.

Also there was the 2017 OSU game where I swear the shoe was on the other foot and calls kept going our way, albeit we lost. O'Neil did that one too. I think he's very bad but I don't see the Witvoet-type screw jobs.

If he had been calling holding when we just needed a 1st down to end the game, that would have been the kind of thing Witvoet would have done.

In the immortal words of Pete Rozelle's (fictional) address to the NFL linemen prior to the start of a season: Guys, now remember to hold on every play so when the refs call holding, they can have some justification for it.

I don't agree. The replay official was the one who overruled it. O'Neil's crew on the field called TD.

Also there was the 2017 OSU game where I swear the shoe was on the other foot and calls kept going our way, albeit we lost. O'Neil did that one too. I think he's very bad but I don't see the Witvoet-type screw jobs.

If he had been calling holding when we just needed a 1st down to end the game, that would have been the kind of thing Witvoet would have done.
Did you not see three consecutive TD plays called back? Wake up. It not O’Neil himself - he just reads the verdicts! It is the big10 It is like Studio a Wrestling! Pitiful!

Did you not see three consecutive TD plays called back? Wake up. It not O’Neil himself - he just reads the verdicts! It is the big10 It is like Studio a Wrestling! Pitiful!

I agree on the one they overturned. After that we were being dumb.

Head of Replay for the Big 10.......Dick Honig! Biggest UM homer there is. O'Neill is his right hand man.

Why he, O'Neill, would tweet the above, as an official, is beyond me. I exposed him and his attitude. His arrogance is palpable. But, what big10 arrogance isn't?

We need a national entity or individual of import to take this on as any PSU connection will be dismissed. How we accomplish this I do not know, frankly we can't do it. Someone my become outraged on their own without ties to PSU who has a national following which will embarrass the Big 10 by repeated exposure of their antics.

Reactions: donm
Head of Replay for the Big 10.......Dick Honig! Biggest UM homer there is. O'Neill is his right hand man.

Why he, O'Neill, would tweet the above, as an official, is beyond me. I exposed him and his attitude. His arrogance is palpable. But, what big10 arrogance isn't?

We need a national entity or individual of import to take this on as any PSU connection will be dismissed. How we accomplish this I do not know, frankly we can't do it. Someone my become outraged on their own without ties to PSU who has a national following which will embarrass the Big 10 by repeated exposure of their antics.

There is no way to do it. The only answer is to have a team like the 1994 one that is simply invincible.

Just glad we won anyway, so we don't sound like a bunch of crybabies.

1. Freiermuth TD reversed
2. Phantom PI on Reid
3. Stanley's backwards fumble called a 1st down
etc etc

Hard to not believe there wasn't some serious bias with this crew. They've showed their true colors time and time again.
Not that it had anywhere near the impact of the 3 you identified, but at least twice when Clifford slid at the end of a run they definitely marked the ball 2 or 3 yards short of where it should have been marked. Sure seemed like another example of them trying to cheat for Iowa.

Not that it had anywhere near the impact of the 3 you identified, it at least twice when Clifford slid at the end of a run they definitely marked the ball 2 or 3 yards short of where it should have been marked. Sure seemed like another example of them trying to chests for Iowa.

It is possible that the B1G realized this season is heading towards two B1G teams being in the national conversation, and neither one of them is OSU or Michigan

Agreed. I've noted that PSU needs to be at least two TD's up on UM with less than five mins. in a game. Same could be said for others but UM and OSU fit the bill.

Agreed. I've noted that PSU needs to be at least two TD's up on UM with less than five mins. in a game. Same could be said for others but UM and OSU fit the bill.

Certainly still true with OSU. It was true with Michigan when Carr was there.

We still didn’t get the natty that year either..

That's right, but the voting factors that led to that are no longer relevant.

No amount of weird officiating was able to prevent that team from winning all of its games.

Per mega PSU fanboy Davey Jones :rolleyes::

The Penn State Nittany Lions secured what looks now like an important Big Ten win by grinding through a 17-12 decision over a tough but otherwise rather pedestrian team from Iowa. To do it, they had to overcome their own mistakes, those of their coaches and most certainly a glaring one from a conference officiating crew that can only be termed incompetent.

Though I attempted to initiate a pool reporter to ask O’Neill or replay official Tom Kissinger exactly what process they went through to make the decision and who made it – not why they made it – the answer came back from the replay booth via the diligent Iowa media communications crew that “it was a judgment call” and no further information would be dispensed.

Again, when Jones is backing State, it MUST have been egregious!!

funny if it comes down to judgement then it isn't incontrovertible evidence to overturn

ipso facto

e pluribus unum

amen

Reactions: royboy
It is possible that the B1G realized this season is heading towards two B1G teams being in the national conversation, and neither one of them is OSU or Michigan
oSU is and will be in the conversation - and the playoff. Everyone else is playing for 2nd.

Per mega PSU fanboy Davey Jones :rolleyes::

The Penn State Nittany Lions secured what looks now like an important Big Ten win by grinding through a 17-12 decision over a tough but otherwise rather pedestrian team from Iowa. To do it, they had to overcome their own mistakes, those of their coaches and most certainly a glaring one from a conference officiating crew that can only be termed incompetent.

Though I attempted to initiate a pool reporter to ask O’Neill or replay official Tom Kissinger exactly what process they went through to make the decision and who made it – not why they made it – the answer came back from the replay booth via the diligent Iowa media communications crew that “it was a judgment call” and no further information would be dispensed.

Again, when Jones is backing State, it MUST have been egregious!!

Jones can sense that Franklin will win a national title here and he wants to be the writer who is along for the ride.

He knew that Paterno was not going to win another one, and his writing became kind of cynical.

He is better at writing about men's basketball. But he only gets material once every 10 years with that program.

Looks like the ball hit the ground to me.

49cabd05-2b32-4815-af51-227cc04442a4-20191012_IowaVsPennSt_5715.JPG

It’s one damn officiating crew and maybe you guys don’t know this yet but we have some clout now in the conference. Time to retire these clowns.

Barbour I expect your letter on Mr Delaneys desk by Wednesday at the latest. We get them again for Michigan and we threaten to join another conference. Seriously these guys need to go down hard. That was a clown show. The Toney reversal does not make up for it. They need to go now. We get them for Michigan and we riot.
Agree. Absolutely disgusting display of biased officiating. There is no place in the game for blatant cheating. These clowns could have
It’s one damn officiating crew and maybe you guys don’t know this yet but we have some clout now in the conference. Time to retire these clowns.

Barbour I expect your letter on Mr Delaneys desk by Wednesday at the latest. We get them again for Michigan and we threaten to join another conference. Seriously these guys need to go down hard. That was a clown show. The Toney reversal does not make up for it. They need to go now. We get them for Michigan and we riot.
Agree that we need to make a statement. The cheating clowns almost robbed these players of a great win. These kids train and work all 12 months and then some incompetent lazy ref can pull this horse crap and try to screw it all up. The Big Ten needs to wake up and do something fast.

Agree. Absolutely disgusting display of biased officiating. There is no place in the game for blatant cheating. These clowns could have

Agree that we need to make a statement. The cheating clowns almost robbed these players of a great win. These kids train and work all 12 months and then some incompetent lazy ref can pull this horse crap and try to screw it all up. The Big Ten needs to wake up and do something fast.
Again, these guys are not lazy...they are doing exactly had planned. The plan: every single call that is remotely close will against Penn State - with special attention paid on impact plays (like PSU TDS). Following yet? This has been going on since 1993.

Reactions: Option Bob
Just remembered this blown call from 2014 that always gets over looked. Barrett took a knee on 4th down with 2 seconds left on the clock. Not sure how the officials missed it on the field, but it should have been reviewable. Would have been a 51 yard FG attempt. Ficken's career long was 54.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-14-at-11-12-56-AM.png

Again, these guys are not lazy...they are doing exactly had planned. The plan: every single call that is remotely close will against Penn State - with special attention paid on impact plays (like PSU TDS). Following yet? This has been going on since 1993.

First year in the conference we get a crowd noise penalty against Michigan. They really don't want us. That's why the SEC is successful, they think SEC, not protecting two special teams. The Big is afraid against honest competition.

Looks like the ball hit the ground to me.

49cabd05-2b32-4815-af51-227cc04442a4-20191012_IowaVsPennSt_5715.JPG
I think that call was going to stay as it was called on the field. No replay angle provided proof of whether the ground aided the catch. Certainly not as clear cut as Freiermuth's TD. The bigger issue on this play was the WR pushing Reid on the back so that he couldnt jump to make a play on the ball. Of course, there was no way that was going to be called.

Lazy or malicious or corrupt or simply cowardly (just insert every negative and reprehensible adjective in here). Lazy from the standpoint that they won"t stand up and do the right thing. Letters by all Penn Staters need to be written to Delaney and his cronies. We need justice!

I'm hoping that one of Sandy's AAD's put together a video montage of all the hose jobs in the game and sent it to the B1G offices and CC'd the NCAA. That's the way it's handled in the NFL. A poster above mentioned possible suspensions coming down. Link?

Lazy or malicious or corrupt or simply cowardly (just insert every negative and reprehensible adjective in here). Lazy from the standpoint that they won"t stand up and do the right thing. Letters by all Penn Staters need to be written to Delaney and his cronies. We need justice!
And if it is an orchestrated plan then get out of the conference. Any of the eastern conferences would take us. Lets swap with WVU and we will go to the B12.

Great post from 247 board from nitjit:

He also seems to be assigned to some of PSU's bigger games. In 2017, for example, he was assigned to Penn State's games at Iowa and at Ohio State. The Iowa game saw PSU penalized 90 yards, a number that accounted for 37% of PSU's season total through the first 7 games of 2017. A quick look at the 2017 game recaps shows that Penn State was flagged 8 times against Iowa and 9 times against Ohio State in 2017. The #1 and #2 totals of the season. PSU averaged 4.3 penalties per game in 2017 for 39.1 yards. In the two games officiated by O'Neill they were flagged 8.5 times for an average of 81.5 yards. That's double the flags and double the yardage. That's bias.

This year Penn State entered their 6 game averaging 4 penalties per game for an average of 45 yards. They see O'Neill for the first time and just like magic, 8 penalties (double the average) for 80 yards (nearly double the total).

He also seems to be assigned to some of PSU's bigger games. In 2017, for example, he was assigned to Penn State's games at Iowa and at Ohio State. The Iowa game saw PSU penalized 90 yards, a number that accounted for 37% of PSU's season total through the first 7 games of 2017. A quick look at the 2017 game recaps shows that Penn State was flagged 8 times against Iowa and 9 times against Ohio State in 2017. The #1 and #2 totals of the season. PSU averaged 4.3 penalties per game in 2017 for 39.1 yards. In the two games officiated by O'Neill they were flagged 8.5 times for an average of 81.5 yards. That's double the flags and double the yardage. That's bias.

This year Penn State entered their 6 game averaging 4 penalties per game for an average of 45 yards. They see O'Neill for the first time and just like magic, 8 penalties (double the average) for 80 yards (nearly double the total).
You would think that any official involved in THREE blatantly botched replay reviews against the same team would be suspended or terminated. Apparently not.

Reactions: odshowtime

This is spot on Judge, even if it isn’t your data. To strengthen the argument, I wonder if O’Neill’s clown car of refs simply call more penalties in all games or just benefit certain teams. For instance, we see here his crew call more penalties statistically against PSU than other crews do, but does this happen to UM or Illinois or other teams as well. Do he and his crew target / benefit certain teams?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT