ADVERTISEMENT

Worst officiated game I've ever seen

LionsandBear

Dec 7, 2009
Just glad we won anyway, so we don't sound like a bunch of crybabies.

1. Freiermuth TD reversed
2. Phantom PI on Reid
3. Stanley's backwards fumble called a 1st down
etc etc

Hard to not believe there wasn't some serious bias with this crew. They've showed their true colors time and time again.

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

Hard to not believe there wasn't some serious bias with this crew. They've showed their true colors time and time again.

It was very bad, but I have seen worse. Several times since Penn State has been in the BIG.

2014 OSU was worse. 2012 Nebraska may be as well. McGloin got an unsportsmanlike penalty for throwing a ball away after the whistle blew the play dead. John O’Neil did try to out do himself tonight though.
I remember that penalty against McGloin. Not that it matters, but I think he actually got called for a delay of game, not unsportsmanlike.

It was also O'Neil that called a bull$hit personal foul penalty against us for hitting Dan Persa just after a pitch on on option in that NW game that we were down 3 TDs. Forget which year that was....

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

Don’t forget the phantom defensive holding call late in the first half that gave them a start to a FG drive when it should’ve been 3rd & long inside their 10.

Oh, and the BS holding calls after the non-TD for 87.

Absolutely awful...looked like we were playing meatchicken out there.

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

Was bad enough to have McGloin and Ham address it on the broadcast. McGloin called out O’Neill

Don’t forget the phantom defensive holding call late in the first half that gave them a start to a FG drive when it should’ve been 3rd & long inside their 10.

Oh, and the BS holding calls after the non-TD for 87.

Absolutely awful...looked like we were playing meatchicken out there.
ABC didn't show a replay of that. Somebody said Jack Ham saw it. It was definitely a big call.

Something I don't understand on the Friermuth call. Why is the ball spotted at the half yd line IF the ref deems the player down at the 1" line? Is that a rule?

Also, do the refs see a different angle than we see on TV?

‘Twas smelly bad.

I’m just wondering what the B1G offices in Indy are already dithering about in a feeble attempt to determine if:

1) next week’s game is the one to decide the “Victor” from the BigTen East or

2) they truly desire it to come down to “The Game”

Kudos to Franklin for dropping an “expletive” in his press conference for describing the overtly biased officiating “effort” in this game :rolleyes:

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

The officiating was not bad...it was just as planned. Will someone from Penn State do something about it? For the love of God - enough is enough!

It’s one damn officiating crew and maybe you guys don’t know this yet but we have some clout now in the conference. Time to retire these clowns.

Barbour I expect your letter on Mr Delaneys desk by Wednesday at the latest. We get them again for Michigan and we threaten to join another conference. Seriously these guys need to go down hard. That was a clown show. The Toney reversal does not make up for it. They need to go now. We get them for Michigan and we riot.

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

It was bad, but don’t think it holds a candle to 2005 Michigan or 2014 OSU. At least this time it didn’t cost us the game

Man this O’Neill character is such a garbage human being!
But no one does a thing. Something akin to Joe chasing down that earliet crook which brought the replay to college football is in order. Someone needs to step up and do something. We are like the neighborhood patsy. Embarrassing!

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

72469788_10219199105195955_1684291336594784256_n.jpg

It’s one damn officiating crew and maybe you guys don’t know this yet but we have some clout now in the conference. Time to retire these clowns.

Barbour I expect your letter on Mr Delaneys desk by Wednesday at the latest. We get them again for Michigan and we threaten to join another conference. Seriously these guys need to go down hard. That was a clown show. The Toney reversal does not make up for it. They need to go now. We get them for Michigan and we riot.
We could only wish that someone at PSU would take a stand. Sandy needs to earn her paycheck.

2014 OSU was worse. 2012 Nebraska may be as well. McGloin got an unsportsmanlike penalty for throwing a ball away after the whistle blew the play dead. John O’Neil did try to out do himself tonight though.
The unsportsmanlike call was against Wisconsin

Why doesn't the NCAA do it like major league baseball? Have it reviewed in a studio instead of by a guy looking into a little box on the sideline.
They do. The on the field ref doesn’t make the call on replays, the replay official in the booth does, although I’m sure the on the field ref has input during the process. That’s why he has the little box.

Reactions: stormingnorm

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

If this is Notre Dame this never happens.

Reactions: nits74 and MacNit07
Until last night, I would have never considered that the officials would be blatantly bias and actively working against a team. However, the complete disparity in penalties and watching them take away 3 consecutive touchdowns had me openly questioning the integrity of the officiating for the first time in my life. BigTen needs to understand this kind of stuff is a black eye on the entire conference and simply can not be tolerated.

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74 and Cosmos
Until last night, I would have never considered that the officials would be blatantly bias and actively working against a team. However, the complete disparity in penalties and watching them take away 3 consecutive touchdowns had me openly questioning the integrity of the officiating for the first time in my life. BigTen needs to understand this kind of stuff is a black on on the entire conference and simply can not be tolerated.
Welcome to the club. Hint: this is just the latest rendition of this clown show. It has been going on for decades...

I do recall being extremely agitated after the Michigan game back in 2005 although I don't recall the details. Here's the thing, I usually chalk up bad calls to ineptness or they are just being human and things will usually average out over the course of a game, more or less. If you read different football boards, everyone thinks the refs are out to get their team because as fans we all engage in confirmation bias to one degree or another. We remember the calls against us while ignoring the ones that went our way. In this case, is was so one sided that even many of the Iowa fans were saying they were the beneficiary of some generous officiating.

Last edited:
Don’t forget their player throwing a punch after whoever caught the int on their 2 point try the ball and was on the ground in the endzone. Supposedly trying to knock the ball out well after the play was over.

Last edited:
I do recall being extremely agitated after the Michigan game back in 2005 although I don't recall the details. Here's the thing, I usually chalk up bad calls to ineptness or they are just being human. Things will usually average out over the course of a game, more or less. If you read different football boards, everyone thinks the refs are out to get them because as fans we all engage in confirmation bias where we remember the calls against us while ignoring the ones that went our way. In this case, is was so one sided that even many of the Iowa fans were saying they were the beneficiary of some generous officiating last night.

C’mon now, when it’s the same damned ref crew that has made blatant calls against Penn State in game changing/critical moments for the better part of a decade no one should be chalking it up to ineptitude or “being human”. I’m glad though that you’re finally realizing the bias inherent in the system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT