ADVERTISEMENT

Worst officiated game I've ever seen

Just glad we won anyway, so we don't sound like a bunch of crybabies.

1. Freiermuth TD reversed
2. Phantom PI on Reid
3. Stanley's backwards fumble called a 1st down
etc etc

Hard to not believe there wasn't some serious bias with this crew. They've showed their true colors time and time again.

Yea we have had worst

Tom Brady Game also
The PI on Brandon Short on third down in the 4th quarter where LaVar was a whisker away from the sack was one of the more puzzling calls. Without it that one is game over for PSU. Of course, PSU went out and laid an egg against MSU the next week. The UM loss didn't seem so important after that clunker.

They do. The on the field ref doesn’t make the call on replays, the replay official in the booth does, although I’m sure the on the field ref has input during the process. That’s why he has the little box.
MLB has a sophisticated 900 ft replay operations center in NYC. Officials in the stadium don't influence the decision.

Reactions: Bob78
Until last night, I would have never considered that the officials would be blatantly bias and actively working against a team. However, the complete disparity in penalties and watching them take away 3 consecutive touchdowns had me openly questioning the integrity of the officiating for the first time in my life. BigTen needs to understand this kind of stuff is a black eye on the entire conference and simply can not be tolerated.

Not to condone BigTen officiating but if this kind of corruption happens in real life (see Washington, D.C.) then what makes you think it won't manifest itself in a sports conference? I mean, c'mon guys! It's just further proof the people who are 'in charge' will go to great lengths to protect their livelihood. We aren't part of the conference branding and I'm not sure we'll ever be. Either get used to it or leave.

Strap in Saturday night because a branded team is coming to town and they need 'protecting'.

But no one does a thing. Something akin to Joe chasing down that earliet crook which brought the replay to college football is in order. Someone needs to step up and do something. We are like the neighborhood patsy. Embarrassing!

You expect anyone to do something? No one did a thing except bend over for more when our university, and dare I say the word, culture, was attacked from all sides. If that didn't prompt at least a little push back, you think anyone at PSU will give a crap about some bad calls in a game they want abolished anyway? The only one would be CJF, and like he said in the presser, his hands are tied and it's a no win situation. As always, we will continue to play two opponents each week. Wait til Michigan...

Reactions: nits74
@ChiTownLion

Is there anyway for you to find out who the B1G had as the “replay official”? The B1G usually cloaks their identity, but I have my suspicions.

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

Hard to not believe there wasn't some serious bias with this crew. They've showed their true colors time and time again.

2002 Michigan, 2002 Iowa and 2005 Michigan were all far worse and it is not close.

This is the kind of game that gives credence to the argument that the NCAA (if they can put a logical thought together in one of their committees) should go to either national or at least regional refs and crews, and eliminate the conference affiliation of refs and crews. I'm not sure what the advantage is for them being conference affiliated, but this crew and others in the B1G have shown plenty of bias toward Ohio State and Michigan over the decades, and not only vs. Penn State.

While there are big changes on the horizon, time to think outside a bit, and look at these issues, too. (and go to 5 full seasons of eligibility, too!). The refs should never have this much influence over a game.

Don’t forget the phantom defensive holding call late in the first half that gave them a start to a FG drive when it should’ve been 3rd & long inside their 10.
Can someone clarify what happened there? Did I miss a replay or did they never show it? On whom was the holding called? They seemed to cut in on that asshole announcing it but he said that they would repeat 2nd down - the one thing that couldn't be the case in either scenario.

The PI on Brandon Short on third down in the 4th quarter where LaVar was a whisker away from the sack was one of the more puzzling calls. Without it that one is game over for PSU. Of course, PSU went out and laid an egg against MSU the next week. The UM loss didn't seem so important after that clunker.

Well I would argue the NON hands to face call (C Brown was mauled) on the winning touchdown play is the most blatant non call ever and the REF had an unobstructed view of the play. even the umpire had a partial view of the start of the foul but then was probably blocked

now granted if it was called it puts the skunkbears in a 2nd-18 an who knows what happens from there, but jesus add this to the bullshit that occurred earlier in the game and this was a hatchet job.

Here are some stop motions to display this travesty in all its glory keep in mind this foul occurs around the 15 yrd line right hash and as the play develops the REF moves to his left and has clear view of pocket at all times

so you tell me what exactly Mr REF is watching???? As my sig pic displays the disgust

15-right-hash.jpg

wt1.jpg

wt1a.jpg

wt1b.jpg

wt1c.jpg

moves-to-his-left-too.jpg

moneyshot.jpg

You expect anyone to do something? No one did a thing except bend over for more when our university, and dare I say the word, culture, was attacked from all sides. If that didn't prompt at least a little push back, you think anyone at PSU will give a crap about some bad calls in a game they want abolished anyway? The only one would be CJF, and like he said in the presser, his hands are tied and it's a no win situation. As always, we will continue to play two opponents each week. Wait til Michigan...
Sadly this is correct. But actually, Franklin is in a no-lose situation. How much worse could it get? His fan base would be 120% behind him. This is one of those ways that good is separated from elite. The Sabans and Myers and Dabos of the world simply would not stand for it! Of course, they would never get jobbed so bad from their own conference. Enough is enough!

Can someone clarify what happened there? Did I miss a replay or did they never show it? On whom was the holding called? They seemed to cut in on that asshole announcing it but he said that they would repeat 2nd down - the one thing that couldn't be the case in either scenario.
They didn’t show a replay, and Blackledge mentioned right before they snapped the next play that he didn’t know who it was on (likely because) he didn’t see a penalty.

The timing of each of the calls made it feel like a classic PSU hit job by the B1G - either give Iowa momentum or take it away from State. They directly impacted the final score...if everything else stayed the same without zebra interference, it should’ve been 21-10.

I mean, hell...even Davey Jones was begrudging the officials in his post game wrap from the booth.

Reactions: Mixolydian
2014 OSU was worse. 2012 Nebraska may be as well. McGloin got an unsportsmanlike penalty for throwing a ball away after the whistle blew the play dead. John O’Neil did try to out do himself tonight though.

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

Pretty sure they missed a roughing the punter call as well.

2. Phantom PI on Reid
etc etc

When we complain about the Big 10 out to get us, that's what we sound like. We need to keep winning games like these and make it a non-issue. HAVING SAID THAT (for many years on this board), this was a disastrous game for the Big 10 officiating crew and they are (apparently) already hearing about it from the front office with a possible suspension heading their way. Take some solace with that if you will.

On a completely different topic the Franklin doubters have less to chew on after this game. The coaches did what they had to do to get the team into positions to win this game once the nerves wore off. With the monkey somewhat off their backs, I expect a higher tempo game against Michigan. How about 2 undefeated teams playing in Minnesota ...

Well I would argue the NON hands to face call (C Brown was mauled) on the winning touchdown play is the most blatant non call ever and the REF had an unobstructed view of the play. even the umpire had a partial view of the start of the foul but then was probably blocked

now granted if it was called it puts the skunkbears in a 2nd-18 an who knows what happens from there, but jesus add this to the bullshit that occurred earlier in the game and this was a hatchet job.

Here are some stop motions to display this travesty in all its glory keep in mind this foul occurs around the 15 yrd line right hash and as the play develops the REF moves to his left and has clear view of pocket at all times

so you tell me what exactly Mr REF is watching???? As my sig pic displays the disgust

15-right-hash.jpg

wt1.jpg

wt1a.jpg

wt1b.jpg

wt1c.jpg

moves-to-his-left-too.jpg

moneyshot.jpg
Excellent photo montage analysis. Courtney Brown was unblockable without refs letting fouls go against him. That one is blatant and ugly.

Last edited:
Not to condone BigTen officiating but if this kind of corruption happens in real life (see Washington, D.C.) then what makes you think it won't manifest itself in a sports conference? I mean, c'mon guys! It's just further proof the people who are 'in charge' will go to great lengths to protect their livelihood. We aren't part of the conference branding and I'm not sure we'll ever be. Either get used to it or leave.

Strap in Saturday night because a branded team is coming to town and they need 'protecting'.

I can see a scenario where CJF gets fed up with this crap and takes another job. Not saying it will happen.

Are we still thinking PSU is at a disadvantage here because "we're lucky to be even playing?" The "scandal" as one would call it is now nearing 10 years, at least since the start of the sanctions (which by the way were dropped before they expired).

PSU is a cash cow for the B1G. They've been in the B1G now for over a quarter century. It's going to get to the point where not many officials were even officiating before Penn State began B1G play.

There is an obvious bias, and yes, I think Sandy and CJF can in a not so subtle way do something about this. What are they (B1G) gonna do? You don't see Saban or Dabo walk away with their tail between their legs. There's no repercussions for showing some stones here IMO. None. PSU is a cash register for the B1G.

Was 2005 Michigan the one where they somehow got off 3 pass plays in 12 seconds?

I believe 2005 was also the game in which the Michigan coach was whining at the end of the game and wanted two seconds added to the clock. The refs discussed it and added four. Or maybe that was another year. The bad calls seem to run together.

Reactions: pandaczar12
When we complain about the Big 10 out to get us, that's what we sound like. We need to keep winning games like these and make it a non-issue. HAVING SAID THAT (for many years on this board), this was a disastrous game for the Big 10 officiating crew and they are (apparently) already hearing about it from the front office with a possible suspension heading their way. Take some solace with that if you will.

Where are you hearing this? Do we have a legit source that this is true?

I agree with other posters who have said that this is Sandy's issue to take up with the B1G. She needs to advocate strongly for us on all things athletic, and the ongoing "oopsy" referring we see each season from certain crews and Refs has gone on for 25 years now.

Joe did what he could - he brought us replay, e.g., he brought more attention to the issues that other schools had also identified, and he and Curley made some strong arguments to the office about those issues. But that still did not completely eradicate the problems. The conference was always about the Big Two when it came to football, to all other schools' expense. And then we saw just how concerned the B1G was about us in 2011-12. Not very.

I agree with other posters who have said that this is Sandy's issue to take up with the B1G. She needs to advocate strongly for us on all things athletic, and the ongoing "oopsy" referring we see each season from certain crews and Refs has gone on for 25 years now.

Joe did what he could - he brought us replay, e.g., he brought more attention to the issues that other schools had also identified, and he and Curley made some strong arguments to the office about those issues. But that still did not completely eradicate the problems. The conference was always about the Big Two when it came to football, to all other schools' expense. And then we saw just how concerned the B1G was about us in 2011-12. Not very.
The only one with the stature to do something is Franklin. You think Saban would leave it to some lackey AD? She is way over her head...she decimated Cal’s program and that is why she got fired. A pure HR hire for “ optics.” Franklin wants be elite? Time is past due to step up. His reaction at the presser tells me he is happy with good. That’s fine. He is a good guy and is doing it the right way. But we need to lower our expectations and he needs to lower his. Ain’t never going to be elite by letting people push you around and walk all over you!

2005 Michigan Game Ref recap:
1. There was a BS fumble or non fumble call in the first half, can't remember which
2. The Refs could not walk a straight line while marking a spot, can't tell you how many first downs were "given" by the refs
3. Heel to toe. I saw it immediately, somehow not even reviewed. A free 20 yards to start the drive.
4. Added two seconds, and yes those two seconds mattered.........

And that is why Delaney and LouAnna run B10 tried their very best to destroy Paterno and Penn State.

No, do not do anything. We won. When Curley and Paterno took on the refs in 2002, we were still paying for it years later.

Witvoet never let it go.

Are we still thinking PSU is at a disadvantage here because "we're lucky to be even playing?" The "scandal" as one would call it is now nearing 10 years, at least since the start of the sanctions (which by the way were dropped before they expired).

PSU is a cash cow for the B1G. They've been in the B1G now for over a quarter century. It's going to get to the point where not many officials were even officiating before Penn State began B1G play.

There is an obvious bias, and yes, I think Sandy and CJF can in a not so subtle way do something about this. What are they (B1G) gonna do? You don't see Saban or Dabo walk away with their tail between their legs. There's no repercussions for showing some stones here IMO. None. PSU is a cash register for the B1G.

No, as this is going on long before the scandal. Someone at PSU needs to step up. It took Joe chasing the refs for some change to occur. We need to do what it takes, regardless of who does it. If not, this will continue without abatement.

Reactions: VaLion'92
No, as this is going on long before the scandal. Someone at PSU needs to step up. It took Joe chasing the refs for some change to occur. We need to do what it takes, regardless of who does it. If not, this will continue without abatement.

Joe got instant replay installed but PSU paid a price.

Witvoet and Honig screwed us every chance they got after that. Things didn't settle down until O'Brien was the coach and they kind of let it go.

No, do not do anything. We won. When Curley and Paterno took on the refs in 2002, we were still paying for it years later.

Witvoet never let it go.
Do nothing and it will continue. Replay was instituted because of Joe and it has helped. But these clowns are so brazen, they have learned even to override/ignore this. Even when the whole nation sees it! I like the idea of interviewing new conferences. Will send a clear message - enough is enough!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT