ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Loss?

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
Up until this past Saturday worst loss in my memory was Minnesota with the last second field goal. Think it was 1999 and team was undefeated. Mason completely outcoached Paterno keeping it close till the end.

This loss was totally embarrassing because of the impact it will have on recruiting for what I thought was an emerging PSU team..

Other thoughts on worst loss?

Up until this past Saturday worst loss in my memory was Minnesota with the last second field goal. Think it was 1999 and team was undefeated. Mason completely outcoached Paterno keeping it close till the end.
This loss was totally embarrassing because of the impact it will have on recruiting for what I thought was an emerging PSU team..
To me this is the worst loss I can remember because we not only lost but looked so pathetic in doing so. It might be the worst played Penn State game I have ever watched. Congrats to Temple, but they beat an awful football team. I think Army or San Diego State, for example, could have beaten us this past Saturday. Unless we lose to Buffalo, which realistically is very unlikely, we won't really know much about our team until Rutgers the following week.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
To me this is the worst loss I can remember because we not only lost but looked so pathetic in doing so. It might be the worst played Penn State game I have ever watched. Congrats to Temple, but they beat an awful football team. I think Army or San Diego State, for example, could have beaten us this past Saturday. Unless we lose to Buffalo, which realistically is very unlikely, we won't really know much about our team until Rutgers the following week.
I think we know all we need or want to know about our team after last Saturday.

This game was a debacle. Joe would never have lost a game like this. Hack needs to take a seat on the bench or change his position to tackling dummy, and the Offensive line is truly offensive. What a complete and utter waste of a season. There is no excuse - it looks like Franklin's coaching scheme has been to keep the team regressing every game since he took over. Let me remind you that this team beat the suckeyes last year, but they are going to get thrown in the game around like a Thai prostitute this year. Things are only going to get worse. I have not even posted since the loss, I really am about to lose it....

We barely escaped with wins about four times in the past with Temple.
Same goes with Maryland,Indiana,Cincinnati.

The press will pound that unbeaten narrative to death against of our opponents.

Maybe our team and some of it's leaders though they were unbeatable,it's down to
earth time.

Buffalo's a lot better than Army.

There are many that qualify for worst game.....Iowa's 6-4.......Ohio State's 64-13......1974 Navy 7-6 game.
1983 Nebraska game......1999 Minnesota game
I am sure there are many more.

"Joe would never have lost a game like this. Hack needs to take a seat on the bench or change his position to tackling dummy"

When did you become a fan.....last week?

- Cincinnati 14-3

- Toledo 24-6, the week after losing to a 5 win USC team 29-5, and two weeks before losing to Pitt 12-0

- Michigan State 49-14 (a mediocre, at best MSU team. TWO 200 yard rushers...1st time in the history of college football)

- Colorado 41-13

- SEVEN losses in 2004....with a TOTAL of FOUR offensive touchdowns

- Navy 7-6 (in the mud)

- Indiana 44-24

- Pitt 31-11 (a 2 win Pitt team)

- Rutgers (and Dick Anderson) 21-16

And, BTW, NONE of those squads (well, aside from the squad that lost to Indiana 44-24) were paper thin wrt upperclassmen due to sanctions

Ass Chin's first versus Ohio is up there. Haven't been back to the Beav since!

The "JOEBOTS" have arrived. Pateno never had to deal with recover from very limited scholarships. He just had to deal with the recruiting of his staff, still he had a number of horrible losses. I have been a season ticket holder since 1960(there about) and during his heyday I literally fell asleep when his offense was on the field. Joe played defense, kicking, and field position, the offense was just not supposed to lose the game. BFJ1984 thank you for posting some of the horrible efforts, you can add the Blockbuster game against Stanford and many other games when his son was the "passing co-ordinator".

Please remember the offensive line cupboard was empty. I takes time to rebuild the team in that position. Also remember many of Joe's last years were not pleasant to see.

Last edited:

You clearly missed the 2013 loss to an awful Indiana team that absolutely took us to the woodshed no less (was beating us 42-17 late in the 4th Qtr before PSU scored a meaningless TD during "irrelevant time"). Indiana went 5-7 in 2013 with one of those wins coming against D-IAA Indiana State....Indiana was 4-8 in 2012! The 2013 loss to Indiana was the first time PSU ever lost to Indiana in program history (we went into game 17-0 vs Indiana). Temple is going to prove to be a far better team than the awful 2013 Indiana team we lost to and the 2013 Indiana loss was a complete blowout and drubbing. The 2012 back-to-back losses to an Ohio team that ended up going 4-4 in the MAC and losing to a UVa team that went 4-8 in cake-walk Coastal Division of the ACC were also equally embarrassing and featured 8 quarters of awfulness! Not sure how you missed these awful outings but it sounds like your FLO knob-polishing bias is in full gear....LMFAO.

this is the worst loss.......last one was 6-4 vs iowa

Too funny, getting completely b!tch-slapped by an Indiana team we had never lost to in 2013 was far worse -- we were losing 42-17 with less than half the 4h Qtr remaining! We went into the game 17-0 all-time against Indiana. 2012 Indiana went 4-8 and 2013 only bested them by one win, 5-7, because they opened the season against Division I-AA Indiana State! Again, this awful Indiana team just utterly b!tch-slapped us leading 42-17 late in the 4th Qtr before we added a meaningless TD late (and we tossed in a safety for Indiana by hiking the ball while Mr. Everything was looking the other way such that the ball went 35 yards backwards into our own EZ for a final score of 44-24).

This Temple team is going to end up with a far better record and season than that awful Indiana team who completely b!tch-slapped your hero FLO.....LMFAO that this loss was worse than that abortion against one of the most awful teams in the country who we'd NEVER lost to before FLO showed up.

Reactions: nits74

This one was up there. Any loss to Blighted Neighborhood U (Temple) is a complete embarrassment. Thank God Joe never lost to those jokers

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Too funny, getting completely b!tch-slapped by an Indiana team we had never lost to in 2013 was far worse -- we were losing 42-17 with less than half the 4h Qtr remaining! We went into the game 17-0 all-time against Indiana. 2012 Indiana went 4-8 and 2013 only bested them by one win, 5-7, because they opened the season against Division I-AA Indiana State! Again, this awful Indiana team just utterly b!tch-slapped us leading 42-17 late in the 4th Qtr before we added a meaningless TD late (and we tossed in a safety for Indiana by hiking the ball while Mr. Everything was looking the other way such that the ball went 35 yards backwards into our own EZ for a final score of 44-24).

This Temple team is going to end up with a far better record and season than that awful Indiana team who completely b!tch-slapped your hero FLO.....LMFAO that this loss was worse than that abortion against one of the most awful teams in the country who we'd NEVER lost to before FLO showed up.

You harp on that Indiana 2013 game quite a lot, but two things:

(1) I was at the game, and one thing that was highly impressive to me was that the team still CARED when we got that "meaningless TD." That shows character --- they had an attitude of "even if the game is lost, it's still 100% effort 100% of the time."

(2) The season is a linear process, and sometimes one game has a cascading effect downstream, and sometimes it's just a game in isolation. We lost to IU, but the very next week we had a home victory against a ranked Michigan team. That also showed character --- the ability to bounce back from a rather disappointing game. Note that we did that ALL THE TIME in 2013: we had 5 losses but never back-to-back losses.

Anyway, my point being: Yes we lost to IU big. But it wasn't indicative of larger problems.

One game that WAS indicative of larger problems was the 1999 loss to Minnesota. We followed that up with two straight losses, getting manhandled in the trenches by Michigan (something like 5 yards rushing total), then a loss at MSU too, in a game where we got way too far behind early and couldn't complete a comeback.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
"Joe would never have lost a game like this. Hack needs to take a seat on the bench or change his position to tackling dummy"

- Cincinnati 14-3

- Toledo 24-6, the week after losing to a 5 win USC team 29-5, and two weeks before losing to Pitt 12-0

- Michigan State 49-14 (a mediocre, at best MSU team. TWO 200 yard rushers...1st time in the history of college football)

- Colorado 41-13

- Navy 7-6 (in the mud)

- Indiana 44-24

And, BTW, NONE of those squads (well, aside from the squad that lost to Indiana 44-24) were paper thin wrt upperclassmen due to sanctions

The Indiana game doesn't belong on your list. Paterno never lost to Indiana.

The "JOEBOTS" have arrived. Pateno never had to deal with recover from very limited scholarships. He just had to deal with the recruiting of his staff, still he had a number of horrible losses. I have been a season ticket holder since 1960(there about) and during his heyday I literally fell asleep when his offense was on the field. Joe played defense, kicking, and field position, the offense was just not supposed to lose the game. BFJ1984 thank you for posting some of the horrible efforts, you can add the Blockbuster game against Stanford and many other games when his son was the "passing co-ordinator".

Please remember the offensive line cupboard was empty. I takes time to rebuild the team in that position. Also remember many of Joe's last years were not pleasant to see.

Hey, stuff that Joebot baloney. I hate it when Penn Staters use that derisive term against one of their own. For someone who has been a season ticket holder since 1960, you sure do need to grow up.

You harp on that Indiana 2013 game quite a lot, but two things:

(1) I was at the game, and one thing that was highly impressive to me was that the team still CARED when we got that "meaningless TD." That shows character --- they had an attitude of "even if the game is lost, it's still 100% effort 100% of the time."

(2) The season is a linear process, and sometimes one game has a cascading effect downstream, and sometimes it's just a game in isolation. We lost to IU, but the very next week we had a home victory against a ranked Michigan team. That also showed character --- the ability to bounce back from a rather disappointing game. Note that we did that ALL THE TIME in 2013: we had 5 losses but never back-to-back losses.

Anyway, my point being: Yes we lost to IU big. But it wasn't indicative of larger problems.

One game that WAS indicative of larger problems was the 1999 loss to Minnesota. We followed that up with two straight losses, getting manhandled in the trenches by Michigan (something like 5 yards rushing total), then a loss at MSU too, in a game where we got way too far behind early and couldn't complete a comeback.

Ranked Michigan team....LMFAO. That "ranked Michigan team" ended up 3-5 in the b1g Turd and 7-6 overall and got blown out by a mediocre Kansas State team in a "nobody cares" bowl 31-14. Yea, what an impressive bounce-back win over a "ranked Michigan team".....you FLO-knobbers get sillier all the time with your bullshat defenses of your @ss-chin hero.

Ranked Michigan team....LMFAO. That "ranked Michigan team" ended up 3-5 in the b1g Turd and 7-6 overall and got blown out by a mediocre Kansas State team in a "nobody cares" bowl 31-14. Yea, what an impressive bounce-back win over a "ranked Michigan team".....you FLO-knobbers get sillier all the time with your bullshat defenses of your @ss-chin hero.

Facts are facts, Michigan WAS ranked going into that game and we WERE an underdog (3 point dog) for that game.

Yes, that IU game was the worst one among the 24 games in the O'Brien era. However, it wasn't a total disaster. At least the players showed some damn pride in that IU loss --- unfortunately, I saw NO pride during Saturday's blowout loss.

Facts are facts, Michigan WAS ranked going into that game and we WERE an underdog (3 point dog) for that game.

Yes, that IU game was the worst one among the 24 games in the O'Brien era. However, it wasn't a total disaster. At least the players showed some damn pride in that IU loss --- unfortunately, I saw NO pride during Saturday's blowout loss.

Yes, facts are facts -- FLO-knobbers are not "Penn State fans", they're just irritating douche-bags who say stupid $hit in defense of their POS hero and Board of Thieves, Liars, Charlatans and Whores "boy".

Yes, facts are facts -- FLO-knobbers are not "Penn State fans", they're just irritating douche-bags who say stupid $hit in defense of their POS hero and Board of Thieves, Liars, Charlatans and Whores "boy".

See Bushwood, I'm kind of an inclusive guy.

I think people like YOU who think there is a widespread referee conspiracy theory against Penn State are crazy and iritating d-bags. But I certainly would not call you "not a Penn State fan." You ARE a Penn State fan, and are part of the greater PSU fan family.

Unfortunately, you (and others here) don't have the same attitude. If we don't hate O'Brien (or worship JoePa), we are "not a Penn State fan."

Can't (ever) read too much into lid lifters.

Penn St. will stomp the B10.

KU_zpstp4lvjug.png

It was very Toledo-esque...

The Indiana game doesn't belong on your list. Paterno never lost to Indiana.
I didn't say he did....in fact, I specifically mentioned that that was the one game on that list that occurred with the sanction depleted roster.

Nothing is more stupid than his assertion that in 20 years O'Brien will be known as having a greater impact on Penn State football than Paterno. Not only is that the most stupid thing I've read on this board, it may be the most nonsensical comment I've heard in my entire life.

It was very Toledo-esque...

IIRC, toledo (which had some damned good players) went on to have one helluva year.

i always looked at toledo as a surprise, but once the season was over, it was clear we were going to get manhandled.

now, temple might smack cincy's butt (although i think they do not match up well), and ifv they do, they could well run the table.. after which, we might view this game differenty.

me? well, all i know is the team we fielded vs BC was not much different than what we did vs temple... and BC was pretty good... imo.

- Cincinnati 14-3

- Colorado 41-13

- Navy 7-6 (in the mud)

- Indiana 44-24

I think you have to add 2012 losses to Ohio and UVa especially given the facts that they were back-to-back loses to teams that we held significant talent advantages over. An awful lot of that 2012 team ended up getting drafted or is playing in the NFL via FA Contracts and 8 Qtrs of futility against an Ohio team that was 4-4 in MAC play and a UVa team that ultimately went 2-6 in ACC play and 4-8 overall in the cake-walk ACC Coastal Division was absolutely embarrassingly bad. Losing to either one of them would have been bad, but losing to both of them back-to-back with 8 Qtrs of consistently awful, underperforming football relative to the amount of returning talent on the 2012 roster was just embarrassingly bad.

FLO rightfully owns all three of the losses to teams we had absolutely no business losing to given our roster versus the roster of the team we lost to going all the way back to the "dark years" of 2000 - 2004 and thereby all 3 make the list of "all-time worst losses". The Temple game may make that list, but it is still too early to tell - history may teach us something very different about the Temple game. Namely, history may prove that we hired the wrong up-&-coming young coach and Matt Ruhle really does have the Owls playing at a different level (a la UM's emergence at Utah taking an unheralded program with a roster of unheralded recruits to national prominence....ditto coach at TCU, Baylor, Alvarez at Wisconsin, etc...). I still can't believe bow calm and tough he had them playing after getting absolutely manhandled for the first 20 minutes of that game - the way Temple hung in there and never lost "the belief" that they could win was very impressive and the "fingerprint" of great coaching. Matt Ruhle IMHO now has Temple doing great things - last year he was "on the verge" of having them accomplish great things. History may reflect that this is the year that will be remembered as his "breakout season" if Matt goes on to be a great coach.

In any event, of the "known" and "provable" worst losses over the past decade which would make the "all-time worst loss list" over the past 50 years (e.g., games we had absolutely no business losing given our roster versus our opponents roster using the 20/20 Hindsight of history), the 3 worst losses UNQUESTIONABLY belong to FLO and would rank on an ordinal basis of putrid-ness of performance relative to potential performance as follows: 2013 Indiana where a superior PSU team got taken to the woodshed by an awful Indiana team that they had absolutely no business losing to, let alone getting absolutely b!tch-smacked by, followed by a tie between the back-to-back 8 quarters of absolute futility and brutal football of 2012 Ohio and UVa games where a pretty talent-laden PSU team lost and laid an egg (especially offensively) against teams that they held a SIGNIFICANT talent advantage over and never should have lost to (e.g., a Ohio team that went 4-4 in MAC play and a UVa team that went 2-6 in the ACC and 4-8 overall playing out of the cake-walk Coastal Division of the ACC). Contrary to what the loudmouth, BOT-bot boot-licking FLO-knobbers want to claim, we don't know how good or bad Temple will prove to be this year, so it is impossible to say whether that game will make the list - it may well belong on the list, but it's still too early to say (especially if Temple were to win its next couple games including ND....or even play ND extremely tight and put up double digit wins)..., but at the present time, it is still too early to say. But again, the one thing we KNOW FOR SURE is that the absolute worst losses on the "Worst Losses of the Past 50 Years List" over the last 10 years (e.g., games that PSU had no business losing given the quality of their roster relative to their opponent's roster on a KNOWN HISTORICAL BASIS) would ALL BELONG TO FLO: 2013 Indiana and back-to-back losses in 2012 to Ohio and UVa.... It should be pointed out that none of the losses that would make the 50 Year List over the past decade would have belonged to Joe Paterno. In other words, in a short 2-Year stint, FLO produced the only 3 losses of the last decade that we absolutely KNOW FOR SURE belong on the "Worst Loses List" that PSU had no business losing based on the quality of the rosters of the two teams - e.g., PSU and the opponent that beat PSU - given their season records accomplishments, etc... - that's quite a bit of "under-performing" over a 2-Year stint especially when you consider the condition that FLO left the program in upon slinking out in the dead of night in his typical self-interested, "use PSU for all it's worth", classless fashion - and he most definitely did leave the program in a shambles and in complete disarray with much of it orchestrated by FLO himself via firing coaches and clandestinely pulling an intentional PR stunt with that douche-bag lying sack-of-$hit Doofus Davey Jones (btw, I can't wait till that smarmy little prick steps over the line with Franklin in private and Franklin tells that little sissy prick where he can shove his douche-bag attitude!).

Last edited:
I didn't say he did....in fact, I specifically mentioned that that was the one game on that list that occurred with the sanction depleted roster.

Then why would you include it in a list of bad Paterno losses?

Then why would you include it in a list of bad Paterno losses?
Uh.......I didn't. Didn't mention anything about Paterno. I was just listing some historical PSU losses that were - IMHO - on par with the magnitude of the game on Saturday.
My part of the OP was the non-italicized part. If you really want to - you can go back and read the entirety of the post I was responding to.....might provide more context......or not.

Uh.......I didn't. Didn't mention anything about Paterno. I was just listing some historical PSU losses that were - IMHO - on par with the magnitude of the game on Saturday.
My part of the OP was the non-italicized part. If you really want to - you can go back and read the entirety of the post I was responding to.....might provide more context......or not.

OK. The italicized portion read "Joe would never have lost a game like this" and then you responded by listing several bad PSU losses all coming under Paterno, presumably to counter the claim that Paterno would never have lost a game like that. But you also included the Indiana game in 2013, the only non-Paterno coached game on your list. I don't think it's surprising that someone reading that would come to the conclusion that you were including the Indiana game as one Paterno lost. That's all. Not really a big deal.

OK. The italicized portion read "Joe would never have lost a game like this" and then you responded by listing several bad PSU losses all coming under Paterno, presumably to counter the claim that Paterno would never have lost a game like that. But you also included the Indiana game in 2013, the only non-Paterno coached game on your list. I don't think it's surprising that someone reading that would come to the conclusion that you were including the Indiana game as one Paterno lost. That's all. Not really a big deal.
"Not really a big deal."

Certainly not

This game was a debacle. Joe would never have lost a game like this. Hack needs to take a seat on the bench or change his position to tackling dummy, and the Offensive line is truly offensive. What a complete and utter waste of a season. There is no excuse - it looks like Franklin's coaching scheme has been to keep the team regressing every game since he took over. Let me remind you that this team beat the suckeyes last year, but they are going to get thrown in the game around like a Thai prostitute this year. Things are only going to get worse. I have not even posted since the loss, I really am about to lose it....

Oh no, you're really going to lose it. Ha ha ha. You sound like Ben Stiller in Mystery Men.

Toledo was the worst loss. This was still a Joepa team with no sanctions. They walked into Happy Valley and chester taylor ran all over us and we lost 24-6. At home. That should never happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT