ADVERTISEMENT

Woah - Ciarrocca Done

I am a bit shocked by this news after we seemed to improve the last four games. Our run game was a mess, but we did lose a lot of backs. We had one great WR, one good WR and one with potential. That was it. The TE’s look very promising. It was a hard season to evaluate.
Maybe JF realizes having the QB as your main rushing threat is not a long term strategy. I don’t know how KC felt about this. Maybe I am dating myself from the Joe Era, but I prefer more coaching stability.

I'm fine with second half Pry. It's first half Pry that's the issue. Maybe a co-defensive coordinator for the first half?
I’m fine with Pry second half too, unless he’s trying to protect a lead. See Indiana, USC, OSUX2...ehhh...we could go all night.

I’m fine with Pry second half too, unless he’s trying to protect a lead. See Indiana, USC, OSUX2...ehhh...we could go all night.
A good four minute offense wouldn’t have hurt in those cases, either.

Well, maybe not IU this year but the defense had allowed a little over 100 yards in the first 58 minutes but looked completely surprised in the last two and OT.

Reactions: Nittany_93
I am a bit shocked by this news after we seemed to improve the last four games. Our run game was a mess, but we did lose a lot of backs. We had one great WR, one good WR and one with potential. That was it. The TE’s look very promising. It was a hard season to evaluate.
Maybe JF realizes having the QB as your main rushing threat is not a long term strategy. I don’t know how KC felt about this. Maybe I am dating myself from the Joe Era, but I prefer more coaching stability.
Just my opinion here but I think the instability in coaching is absolutely hurting PSU’s efforts at this point. What was it 4 different WR coaches in 4 years, 3 OC’s in 3 years, it’s gotta be being used negatively against us by many opposing staffs.

Just the most name worth here but Sean Clifford was recruited by and committed to JoeMo in 2015, comes in under Rahne, one year with KC and now Yurcich. Feel really bad for him and the other offensive recruits for having to go through all this.

Last edited:
Just my opinion here but I think the instability in coaching is absolutely hurting PSU’s efforts at this point. What was it 4 different WR coaches in 4 years, 3 OC’s in 3 years, it’s gotta be being used negatively against us by many opposing staffs.
Put up a lot of points next year and that won't matter

No, you can’t - 2016 we were Big Ten champs, acknowledged as the toughest conference that season. Did we go to the CPF? Nope - because we failed at one of the 3 success metrics and lost to UM.
PSU did not make it because they had 2 losses. As others have said, had they won either of the games they lost, they would have made it.

Since they lost to USC, it doesn’t matter. Don’t care about a participation trophy.
PSU will NEVER go to the CPF unless we accomplish all 3 success metrics. Guaranteed.
Besides the possibility from 2016 with a Pitt win, they likely make it in 2017 by beating MSU while still failing at two of your metrics.

The shame is ‘17 was probably the best team of the ‘16-‘19 era and the CFP participants that year would have provided the least dominant opponent of that era. Missed opportunity.

Thank you. I thought Yuracich was OC at tOSU and wondered why they would let him go. Maybe one of our Buckeye fans can add more or do they just come here to gloat?
I read something similar... that he asked for a large raise and more control over the offense and OSU opted for Wilson, so Yurcich left for Texas.

Thank you. I thought Yuracich was OC at tOSU and wondered why they would let him go. Maybe one of our Buckeye fans can add more or do they just come here to gloat?
Have heard rumors there were personality conflicts with Day. Normally, when an assistant leaves under good terms, there are glowing best wishes. Don't remember that happening.

Reactions: 81b&w and cment
You are a pup. I played against Bloomsburg in 1969 and 1970 season. It was exciting for me because as a Southern Alum, I knew players on the Huskies at that time. During my high school career our night games were played at Bloomsburg (they were building the field at Southern).
Out of high school I was accepted at Millersville, Mansfield, East Stroudsburg and Slippery Rock. My interests were History teacher or PE. Rod Kelchner (a Bloomsburg guy) was the HC at Mansfield and he invited me to spend a weekend at Mansfield. It was a different world then. Mansfield was about 19 miles from the NY border and the drinking age in NY was 18 :cool: ,My brother is a Bloomsburg Alum, but I wanted to get away from home. Went back to coach at Southern for one season'71 and my future wife and I spent our fair share of time in Hess's (does it still exist?). In 72 I took a teaching/ coaching job in NY and never returned.

I grew up in Towanda so Mansfield was the “local” college. If you couldn’t go to college you went to Mansfield! All of the northern tier is a different world. Growing up in the area I certainly understand what you’re saying. For me Bloomsburg was getting away. Yes Hess’s was still there when I arrived in 86 and is still going strong today. I don’t get back often but always stop in when I do. Cheers!

I grew up in Towanda so Mansfield was the “local” college. If you couldn’t go to college you went to Mansfield! All of the northern tier is a different world. Growing up in the area I certainly understand what you’re saying. For me Bloomsburg was getting away. Yes Hess’s was still there when I arrived in 86 and is still going strong today. I don’t get back often but always stop in when I do. Cheers!
I had a team mate from Towanda, although I can't recall his name. (first name Allan) I just recall he sustained a concussion against Brockport and he was throwing up in the seat behind me all the way back to Mansfield. He never played football again. It's funny how our memories work.....I recall his home town but can't remember his name.....he was a RB.
Yes, my final 2 years I lived off campus on a farm owned by friend and fraternity brother Tony Fiamingo. I believe he owns a slew of moving companies and they had a furniture store on that property....I haven't seen him in more than 40 years. My best friends used to return to Mansfield for games, and homecoming etc. I never could because I was coaching football.

I had a team mate from Towanda, although I can't recall his name. (first name Allan) I just recall he sustained a concussion against Brockport and he was throwing up in the seat behind me all the way back to Mansfield. He never played football again. It's funny how our memories work.....I recall his home town but can't remember his name.....he was a RB.
Yes, my final 2 years I lived off campus on a farm owned by friend and fraternity brother Tony Fiamingo. I believe he owns a slew of moving companies and they had a furniture store on that property....I haven't seen him in more than 40 years. My best friends used to return to Mansfield for games, and homecoming etc. I never could because I was coaching football.

One of my college roommates lived in Blossburg and I went home with him several times and we would go across the border into New York to drink. Fun times. I looked at an old
Mansfield roster online, is the running back named Al Clark?

One of my college roommates lived in Blossburg and I went home with him several times and we would go across the border into New York to drink. Fun times. I looked at an old
Doesn't ring a bell. Blossburg.....man, I have not heard that in 35 years at least. We used to head south of Mansfield a few miles and drink at Putnam Park? Talk about fights....the locals didn't like them damn college punks....
Wait, I think his name was Allen Hall....

Last edited:
I enjoyed all the Levi's first downs. That package may not have been pretty, but it was pretty effective.
Exactly. Everybody wants the qb sneak package, but the reality is that running Thor (Levis) up the middle for 2 or 3 yards accomplished the same objective - they were picking up the first downs pretty consistently with that package at the end of the year. Hard to argue with the results.

Reactions: Nittany_93

Just the most name worth here but Sean Clifford was recruited by and committed to JoeMo in 2015, comes in under Rahne, one year with KC and now Yurcich. Feel really bad for him and the other offensive recruits for having to go through all this.
Look around college football. We had stability once....that's ancient history and the football experts like those here condemned it.

One too many offensive geniuses on the staff......

Here's the funny thing to me, but I guess just part of the PR machine. After an extensive search, Franklin says he asked around and KC's name kept being mentioned as the guy to hire. He was supposed to be the best. One year later after a guy who had spent a number of years rowing the boat, leaves MN for PSU. Granted, he left the year before and then changed his mind. One year later, he is no longer the best OC and turfed for a new guy.

I think Franklin may have wanted to hire him last year, but lost out to TX or upon reflection, Franklin realized he had made a mistake and is now correcting it. It is strange for a head coach who has said he needs more consistency on staff, makes this change now. But in the end, in Franklin we trust (as if we have a choice).

If you look at the past season, the offense was more ball control and until the last game, not very explosive. Considering Franklin values explosive plays, maybe this was a factor.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Doesn't ring a bell. Blossburg.....man, I have not heard that in 35 years at least. We used to head south of Mansfield a few miles and drink at Putnam Park? Talk about fights....the locals didn't like them damn college punks....
Wait, I think his name was Allen Hall....
You went to Mansfield and didn’t drink at Fred’s Woodshed?

Here's the funny thing to me, but I guess just part of the PR machine. After an extensive search, Franklin says he asked around and KC's name kept being mentioned as the guy to hire. He was supposed to be the best. One year later after a guy who had spent a number of years rowing the boat, leaves MN for PSU. Granted, he left the year before and then changed his mind. One year later, he is no longer the best OC and turfed for a new guy.

I think Franklin may have wanted to hire him last year, but lost out to TX or upon reflection, Franklin realized he had made a mistake and is now correcting it. It is strange for a head coach who has said he needs more consistency on staff, makes this change now. But in the end, in Franklin we trust (as if we have a choice).

If you look at the past season, the offense was more ball control and until the last game, not very explosive. Considering Franklin values explosive plays, maybe this was a factor.

Have no idea how Yurcich will do at PSU, but unless he's changed significantly in the past couple of years he won't run a conservative offense.

You sound like someone who simply doesn't like Franklin. This was a gutsy move and a great move. Yet you will still take pot-shots from the peanut gallery. You sound like an asshole, honestly. No shortage of those here.
This is a great move. I found the KC offense to look like peewee football too often to the point it was embarrassing.

Green Shingles.

I am hereby throwing a flag on @PSULionsDub for Master Baiting
Sorry, looong day yesterday. Over the summer I found that I am business associates in another office with a father of a current player. We chatted a couple of times during the season and this father made comments as follows (summarized): “Ciarrocca is not on the same page as Franklin and the other offensive coaches on play calling and execution”, “Ciarrocca struggled develop relationships with players and barely checked in with players in the spring/early summer”. He also said Ciarrocca does little to nothing in recruiting and the QBs felt Ciarrocca was doing nothing for their development. The last thing he said to me was that Franklin and Ciarrocca had many arguments with one another. Based on this insight and how the firing/hiring played out, I really think the change occurred because Ciarrocca did not meet expectations in his 1st year and that there was not a path forward to improve, so Franklin had to make a change when Yurcich and Franklin had mutual interest.

Sorry, looong day yesterday. Over the summer I found that I am business associates in another office with a father of a current player. We chatted a couple of times during the season and this father made comments as follows (summarized): “Ciarrocca is not on the same page as Franklin and the other offensive coaches on play calling and execution”, “Ciarrocca struggled develop relationships with players and barely checked in with players in the spring/early summer”. He also said Ciarrocca does little to nothing in recruiting and the QBs felt Ciarrocca was doing nothing for their development. The last thing he said to me was that Franklin and Ciarrocca had many arguments with one another. Based on this insight and how the firing/hiring played out, I really think the change occurred because Ciarrocca did not meet expectations in his 1st year and that there was not a path forward to improve, so Franklin had to make a change when Yurcich and Franklin had mutual interest.
It’s an interesting scenario that sounds like the truth. KC would have worked out without covid and without losing Brown and Cain in my opinion. I cannot wait to see the new offense featuring star wrs and te’s in 2021. The wildcard is still our erratic Sean Clifford, who is on his 3rd oc now.

Reactions: BBrown

How many times was Ciarrocca made available to the media this year?

Reactions: BBrown and cment
Reading a thread on another board (nOT premium content so that’s Ok to share, right?), it sounds like at least one other offensive assistant is expected to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT