ADVERTISEMENT

With the Hugeee Big Ten Contract coming soon could we afford to fire Franklin in the next couple of years?

Is the source the same that claimed Harsin had an affair? Cut the crap. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
The fact Harsin hasn't been fired yet (regardless of that nonsense) is one of the most insane things we've seen this season. They clearly just want the new AD to do it.

Franklion’s contract with the university is for only $500k, annually. The rest is paid by lord knows who but the university is not on the hook for any buyouts above $500k per year. I’m sure those on the hook can write it off so thinking that replacing Franklion is out of the question right now are foolish. There were many who were seriously discussing after the Illinois embarrassment a year ago. You never do that at homecoming which ironically is this weekend. Krafty is watching.

We will get between $80-$100 Mill/year from the Big Ten deal alone.
The problem is not the buyout amount. The problem is that within the current framework, there is not anyone available that would be a better fit.

Lets make a list of programs that are enjoying some success with the current coach. From that list, keep the ones that are at programs that we respect. Boom! That list goes to 0, there are NO programs that we respect because "we do things the right way".

PSU is not capable of making a decent hire that would be successful because the entire philosophy prevents the hiring of the type of coach needed. What is needed for success is a Saban/Smart/Day/Swinney type of coach, but that is in opposition to the "high ideals" according to the Book of Joe. According to most, those types are unworthy of the most revered HC position in the country.

If you need a lion you don't select a pussy.

Offer Jay the HC position for a 3-year contract at $250,000 per year. First provision of the contract requires him to personally buy out whatever is left of Franklin's. Now we've gotten 2 birds stoned at once, Franklin is gone and a Paterno at the helm, what a coup.

Now you've got a 3 year window to complete a search for the new coach, no last-minute scramble. Find that edgy controversial winner that is necessary for success. By that time people will have had enough Paterno to last them forever and we can put that crap where it belongs - in the past. At that point we've eliminated the stupid restrictions and opened things up so that we can make a more objective selection for a coach.

Of course, this will not be a pretty transition. But it is the simplest and most straight-forward way to build a winning program at dear old state. Gonna require tearing it down and starting fresh to build a solid foundation. I'd rather see it sooner than later and a 3-5 year reboot is much better than 10-20 years of crap that arrives at the same destination.

I see nothing but upside for this approach. We are clearly the clown team of the week making a strong case for the clown team of the decade. We need to improve on that.

I remember when 9 win seasons weren't going to cut it at Nebraska anymore so they fired their coach. Then 7 and 8 wins was the wrong direction so they fired another coach.
THIS is called dropping the microphone. The term "Looking a gift horse in the mouth" is pretty appropriate for the way so many on this board seem to position themselves vs. CJF.

I remember when 9 win seasons weren't going to cut it at Nebraska anymore so they fired their coach. Then 7 and 8 wins was the wrong direction so they fired another coach.
Why do the people say this ignore what happened at Georgia?
We have the potential of Georgia without the worry of Nebraska

Offer Jay the HC position for a 3-year contract at $250,000 per year. First provision of the contract requires him to personally buy out whatever is left of Franklin's. Now we've gotten 2 birds stoned at once, Franklin is gone and a Paterno at the helm, what a coup.

Now you've got a 3 year window to complete a search for the new coach, no last-minute scramble. Find that edgy controversial winner that is necessary for success. By that time people will have had enough Paterno to last them forever and we can put that crap where it belongs - in the past. At that point we've eliminated the stupid restrictions and opened things up so that we can make a more objective selection for a coach.

Of course, this will not be a pretty transition. But it is the simplest and most straight-forward way to build a winning program at dear old state. Gonna require tearing it down and starting fresh to build a solid foundation. I'd rather see it sooner than later and a 3-5 year reboot is much better than 10-20 years of crap that arrives at the same destination.

I see nothing but upside for this approach. We are clearly the clown team of the week making a strong case for the clown team of the decade. We need to improve on that.
Ugh, I read something wrong, so if you saw the earlier edit, never mind. PSU's buyout for Franklin is $8 million per year ($7 million plus $1 million life insurance) unless it's for cause (performance is not for cause). Franklin's buyout to leave is $6 million in 2023, $2 million in 2024. and $1 million through the end of the deal. So PSU has a hard time getting rid of him, but Franklin can leave pretty easily, especially after 2023. Really stupid and one-sided contract on the part of Sandy. If Kraft wants to on move anytime soon he'll probably need someone like Pegula's pockets to do it.

Last edited:
Franklin's buyout verges on prohibitive: $8 million a year for the next 9 years. By my math that totals $72 million if he were fired this year...$64 million next year...and so on. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to.

We need to make his life here miserable so he quits. How about we insert someone above Franklin who actually runs the team and performs all media duties etc? I think he'd quit before the news became public.

We need to make his life here miserable so he quits. How about we insert someone above Franklin who actually runs the team and performs all media duties etc? I think he'd quit before the news became public.
That sounds like constructive termination, so James would sue and get his full $8x years remaining. Unless you've got compromising photos of him at a party or something stupid like that, forget it. I just hope he gets things turned around soon, so we don't have to wait through another 9 years of losses to Michigan and Ohio State.

when does the playoff go to 12?
You mean the "The bar is to high for PSU so lets change it so they have a chance" playoff expansion? Not sure. Just one more glaring embarrassment. Gonna be real fun when they expand and we still can't make it. What then, a push for 16/32/64 whatever, until we are able to back-door it?

Ugh, I read something wrong, so if you saw the earlier edit, never mind. PSU's buyout for Franklin is $8 million per year ($7 million plus $1 million life insurance) unless it's for cause (performance is not for cause). Franklin's buyout to leave is $6 million in 2023, $2 million in 2024. and $1 million through the end of the deal. So PSU has a hard time getting rid of him, but Franklin can leave pretty easily, especially after 2023. Really stupid and one-sided contract on the part of Sandy. If Kraft wants to on move anytime soon he'll probably need someone like Pegula's pockets to do it.
And that ain't happening any time soon. Pegula and other deep pockets. were apparently not consulted on the contract extension to begin with. Why would they now feel compelled to come to PSU's rescue on the back end?

You mean the "The bar is to high for PSU so lets change it so they have a chance" playoff expansion? Not sure. Just one more glaring embarrassment. Gonna be real fun when they expand and we still can't make it. What then, a push for 16/32/64 whatever, until we are able to back-door it?
We're in probably the toughest division in college football with Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State (not now, but not that long ago a playoff team). If they had 12 teams we'd have been in for both 2016 and 2017 for sure, possibly 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT