ADVERTISEMENT

With both men in their prime who could beat Chamberlain in a one on one BB game?

SEPATOPTEN

Aug 21, 2010
I am taking Wilt over anybody but I am curious to see who people think could give him a battle in a one on one game.

JORDAN, KOBE, MAJIC, & BIRD. They all had outside & inside game ability. They wouldn't stop Wilt close in but not sure Wilt could move laterally enough to cover those four outside.
Well I think he would be able to move easily with them and alter their shots in many instances. I say this because he was a track performer competing in multiple events and had an enormous stride. On the offensive side you can forget about anybody under 6"10 right off the bat having a chance to ward him off. Any rebounds are going to Wilt and put backs are going in probably with big time force. His 14ft bank shot was lethal but not needed. Of the guys you mentioned I would say Bird would have the least chance. I just can't see him ever shaking Wilt to produce offense. It certainly would be interesting.

Michael Jordan
A good and popular choice I am sure. The problem is stopping the big guy and Wilt is going to alter shots and get stops on anybody. Would love to see it. Akeem the dream would be an interesting matchup but don't think him dribbling 20/25 feet out to start a possession is going to go well against Wilt. Well we can dream of the matchups.

A good and popular choice I am sure. The problem is stopping the big guy and Wilt is going to alter shots and get stops on anybody. Would love to see it. Akeem the dream would be an interesting matchup but don't think him dribbling 20/25 feet out to start a possession is going to go well against Wilt. Well we can dream of the matchups.
Jordan would steal the ball from Wilt like crazy. Wouldnt be close.

I am taking Wilt over anybody but I am curious to see who people think could give him a battle in a one on one game.

Wilt changed the game and is undoubtedly one of the best ever but one on one with an athletic guard or wing is going to be almost impossible for him to win. Wilt is significantly better all time than KD but KD beat him 1v1 in my opinion. Kind of like Shaq would win may 1v1s

It is a very unfair analogy because chamblin had no brightness. There was in anybody even close to his size and stature in the league time.now every. Team has what would have been looked at his Giants in chamblid's time.
Wilt had no rivals.
There was nobody even remotely close to his size and stature so a comparison is not possible..

Bill Russell
LOL. Favorite Wilt/Russell moment was game between the Celts and Lakers. Wilt with lots of points and rebounds and Russell with lots of rebounds but not many points per usual.
Wilt never fouled out of a game. He got his 5th foul late in the game. Next possession, Celts throw the ball down low with the goal of fouling Wilt out. Russell makes a few moves and shoots, Wilt waits until the ball is a foot out of Russell’s hands and blocks it cleanly. Next possession for the Celts, same thing and same result. Next possession, Celts throw the ball down low to Russell and he throws the ball back out.

Reactions: NedFromYork
in 1972, the NBA had a one-on-one tournament. The finals ended with Jojo White playing Bob Lanier. Lanier, a 6-10 leftie who weighed 250 simply backed Jojo (6-3, 200) into the paint and hit layups in the finals. That was before the 3-point line.

IMHO, I think both Lebron James and Steph Curry would beat Wilt. Wilt was 7-1 and 275 lbs. James is 6-9 and 250. I think James has the mass to stop him down low and force him to take some contested outside shots. Curry would just run rings around him and wear him out on the perimeter.

Over the years, I also think Magic and Bird beat him too. Hell, I think the 7-0, 280 lb Joel Embid would beat him. Nicola Jokic would beat him as well (6-11. 284). Both have superior outside shooting as well as the size to compete.

At the time, Wilt (who was a great athlete) was just bigger than everyone else. He dominated, physically. Even Shaq, at 7-1 and 300 lbs, would have a good shot against him but both had the same game: physical dominance but limited outside shooting. Factoring in the 3-point line makes it a game-changer. If you take that away, I still think the talented and nimble big men who can stop his post-up moves would still win.

LOL. Favorite Wilt/Russell moment was game between the Celts and Lakers. Wilt with lots of points and rebounds and Russell with lots of rebounds but not many points per usual.
Wilt never fouled out of a game. He got his 5th foul late in the game. Next possession, Celts throw the ball down low with the goal of fouling Wilt out. Russell makes a few moves and shoots, Wilt waits until the ball is a foot out of Russell’s hands and blocks it cleanly. Next possession for the Celts, same thing and same result. Next possession, Celts throw the ball down low to Russell and he throws the ball back out.
It the many interviews with Russell, he clearly and unabashedly acknowledges that Wilt was the greatest. Russell indicated that he was unstoppable when he wanted to score. Russell once indicated that he thought that Wilt had a fear of his own strength and that he might seriously hurt an opponent. Russell cautioned his players not to piss Wilt off because he would pay the price.

It the many interviews with Russell, he clearly and unabashedly acknowledges that Wilt was the greatest. Russell indicated that he was unstoppable when he wanted to score. Russell once indicated that he thought that Wilt had a fear of his own strength and that he might seriously hurt an opponent. Russell cautioned his players not to piss Wilt off because he would pay the price.
Bill Russell was a fantastic player but you have to factor in that Russell, at 6-10, only weighted 220. Wilt was 2-3 inches taller and weighted 50 lbs more.

It is a very unfair analogy because chamblin had no brightness. There was in anybody even close to his size and stature in the league time.now every. Team has what would have been looked at his Giants in chamblid's time.
Wilt had no rivals.
There was nobody even remotely close to his size and stature so a comparison is not possible..
This could be a wrap up of his off the court game-
Wilt had no rivals.

Big men have an advantage in a half court 1 on 1 game because there's less running. Smaller guys have to use their quickness.

The question is there a 3 pt line in your 1 on 1 game? If Wilt had to come out and defend the 3 a lot of players could drive past him for easy layups. BTW Tatum did a good job taking it at Embid yesterday.

Let's be real--pretending an average HS player would even put up a fight is insane but pretending great outside shooters or player like KD, Giannis and Dirk couldn't have contended with him is insane.

Big men have an advantage in a half court 1 on 1 game because there's less running. Smaller guys have to use their quickness.

The question is there a 3 pt line in your 1 on 1 game? If Wilt had to come out and defend the 3 a lot of players could drive past him for easy layups. BTW Tatum did a good job taking it at Embid yesterday.
There would have to be a 3 pt line IMO

When I was at Kutztown I used to play pool with some of the hoops players. Was messing with our 6'11" center Marty Eggleston and challenged him to play 1 on 1. He killed me. The only shots I got off were outside. He'd swat everything I put up. I'll take wilt against anyone unless there is a 3 pt shot. Foul shots in 1 on 1? NFW. Giannis might take him tho.

How does Wilt get to the basket from midcourt?
He doesn't .
I don't recall ever seeing a game of one on one where a player is required to start at half court with each possession.

It was always customary to start each possession around the 3 pt liner/ top of the key; and after the ball was 'checked' to ensure the defender is ready.

Make it take it?

Pistol Pete.

3 points per possession would give him 150% of the points Chamberlain would get dunking.........
How is Pete getting shots off with Wilt draped all over him? Plenty of great shooters but you are starting 5 feet away from Wilt. Once you get the ball and Wilt is right up on you he is going to alter and block a high percentage of the Pistols shots.
Depends on whether or not there's a three point line, how much time is involved and how many fouls does each guy get.

How is Pete getting shots off with Wilt draped all over him? Plenty of great shooters but you are starting 5 feet away from Wilt. Once you get the ball and Wilt is right up on you he is going to alter and block a high percentage of the Pistols shots.
Wilt neve ventured more than 10 feet from the basket and couldn't catch Pete if Pete was dribbling backwards. It would take Pete about 1/2 second to create the space he needs from Wilt to get his shot off.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Jordan would steal the ball from Wilt like crazy. Wouldnt be close.
Wilt would back MJ down mercilessly to the hoop and also be able to shield the ball with his huge body. On the flip side he would alter tons of Michael's shots and block quite a few more. We are not talking about the 1972 Wilt Chamberlain we are talking the 1962 Wilt.

Wilt neve ventured more than 10 feet from the basket and couldn't catch Pete if Pete was dribbling backwards. It would take Pete about 1/2 second to create the space he needs from Wilt to get his shot off.
Why would he when he was guarding the opposing center? The man could traverse the floor as quick as anybody in the league. Pete although a great shooter was not anywhere in the same galaxy as Chamberlain athletically. Not Pete's fault nobody in the league was anywhere near the athlete WC was.
We just disagree.

Wilt would back MJ down mercilessly to the hoop and also be able to shield the ball with his huge body. On the flip side he would alter tons of Michael's shots and block quite a few more. We are not talking about the 1972 Wilt Chamberlain we are talking the 1962 Wilt.
Jordan would reach around and steal it at ease.

Why would he when he was guarding the opposing center? The man could traverse the floor as quick as anybody in the league. Pete although a great shooter was not anywhere in the same galaxy as Chamberlain athletically. Not Pete's fault nobody in the league was anywhere near the athlete WC was.
We just disagree.
No way Wilt had the quickness to keep up with Pete and Pete's ballhandling fakes and moves.

Ur correct that we disagree.

Pete avg 44.2 PPG in a college season without the benefit of a 3pt shot. He's going to score.

Reactions: RickinDayton
No way Wilt had the quickness to keep up with Pete and Pete's ballhandling fakes and moves.

Ur correct that we disagree.
Wilt high jumped, I believe, 6'6" in high school, as well as running sub 50 seconds in the 440yd dash. I'm guessing he did both with minimal formal coaching, or probably not much training either.
I don't think people understand that Wilt was a freak athlete. Yeah, he was bigger than pretty much all the other centers of his day but the unbelievable numbers he put up at every level of competition were in no small part because of his athleticism.
With no 3 point line he beats everyone, save MJ and LeBron, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT