ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Hats at the Rose Bowl

fastlax16

Jan 1, 2014
Scrolling through and noticed UCLA coaches wearing beanies and a number of their players in long sleeves for a game being played in the mid 50s. Its a shame the LA schools are avoiding any real cold weather trips next year.

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz and psu00
Scrolling through and noticed UCLA coaches wearing beanies and a number of their players in long sleeves for a game being played in the mid 50s. Its a shame the LA schools are avoiding any real cold weather trips next year.

I thought the same thing. I’m seeing their sideline with ski hats and players with ski masks that cover their whole heads/ necks other than their eyes. I looked up the temp for Pasadena. It was 53* F. They are in for a rude awakening next year.

On top of that they are getting their backsides handed to them by flippin’ Cal. It’s 30-7 in the 4th.

I thought the same thing. I’m seeing their sideline with ski hats and players with ski masks that cover their whole heads/ necks other than their eyes. I looked up the temp for Pasadena. It was 53* F. They are in for a rude awakening next year.

On top of that they are getting their backsides handed to them by flippin’ Cal. It’s 30-7 in the 4th.
Hey now. don't go casing on my Sturdy Golden Bears! Three straight wins puts them at 6-6 and bowling. It won't be a NY6 bowl game, but no need to harsh my buzz over a little good news for the Cal football program. I'll add that Cal's QB > PSU's QB. He has been a revelation. Now, if Cal can recruit more good linemen and linebackers.

Reactions: psu00
Hey now. don't go casing on my Sturdy Golden Bears! Three straight wins puts them at 6-6 and bowling. It won't be a NY6 bowl game, but no need to harsh my buzz over a little good news for the Cal football program. I'll add that Cal's QB > PSU's QB. He has been a revelation. Now, if Cal can recruit more good linemen and linebackers.
Hey, I give Cal full credit for beating UCLA. The game was never in doubt. I don’t know if it was just a matter of where the tv mics were but the Cal fans were pretty loud on tv.

I just don’t know what to make of UCLA. They go from beating SC soundly 1 week to getting boat raced by Cal the next.

The winter ski gear for a 53 degree night in LA was laughable. It reminded me of a similar weather bowl game between Wisconsin and Miami a few years ago. Wisky fans were in shorts while Miami players were wearing ski gear.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Hey, I give Cal full credit for beating UCLA. The game was never in doubt. I don’t know if it was just a matter of where the tv mics were but the Cal fans were pretty loud on tv.

I just don’t know what to make of UCLA. They go from beating SC soundly 1 week to getting boat raced by Cal the next.

The winter ski gear for a 53 degree night in LA was laughable. It reminded me of a similar weather bowl game between Wisconsin and Miami a few years ago. Wisky fans were in shorts while Miami players were wearing ski gear.

SC wasn’t very good… and they didn’t play SC in such frigid conditions.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how USC and UCLA handle Big Ten weather. I'm also excited to see the first time an SEC team has to play a CFP game on a Big Ten campus in December.

The beanie thing reminds me of spending time in Hawai'i. When the temperature drops below 70, people wear winter coats and hats.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how USC and UCLA handle Big Ten weather. I'm also excited to see the first time an SEC team has to play a CFP game on a Big Ten campus in December.

The beanie thing reminds me of spending time in Hawai'i. When the temperature drops below 70, people wear winter coats and hats.
I believe that I read that UCLA must make trips east in two of three weeks next season; that would be rough even for NFL teams. The travel more than the weather can't help but have a negative effect on the Pac 12 schools than the existing Big 10 schools because there are more of the latter than the former.

I believe that I read that UCLA must make trips east in two of three weeks next season; that would be rough even for NFL teams. The travel more than the weather can't help but have a negative effect on the Pac 12 schools than the existing Big 10 schools because there are more of the latter than the former.

UCLA is racking up frequent flier miles next year. Washington is their closest road trip.

Open at Hawaii- 2,470 miles
At LSU week 4- 1,837 miles
At PSU week 6- 2,562 miles
At Rutgers week 8- 2,448 miles (not sure how the flight miles from lax are lower to state college than Newark?)
At Nebraska week 10- 1279 miles
At Washington week 12- 960 miles

UCLA is racking up frequent flier miles next year. Washington is their closest road trip.

At Rutgers week 8- 2,448 miles (not sure how the flight miles from lax are lower to state college than Newark?)
That's a killer. Just look at how differently Seattle plays when they have to travel east to play games, and they're pros who should be more used to that. Like I said. because there just are so many more Eastern and Midwestern schools in the Big 10 than Western, the latter are going to have to travel much more than the former to play a Big 10 schedule, and that should have a negative effect on them. Also, if USC and UCLA have to play in weather like we did at MSU in 2021, they might not even want to get off of the plane, as I'm sure that many of their players probably never have seen a snow flake in their lives.

They are also crossing three time zones thrice and a two hr shift twice. With crazy noon kick offs that can be tough.

SC wasn’t very good… and they didn’t play SC in such frigid conditions.
You're right. SC was not very good this season. They were WAY overrated to start the season (I believe they were ranked #6 at the start of the season). Hell, Cal had a 14 point lead on them with about 10 minutes left in the 4th before squandering that lead.

Most of the rest of the Pac 12 played pretty well in out of conference games, however.

We were in Hawaii a few years ago in January with friends from Minnesota.

While talking to a local at the airport (born and raised, never left the island) he remarked on everyone shedding their winter gear. Not joking, he said it gets cold in Hawaii too. When it does, he has to put on his ‘winter shorts’.

He couldn’t grasp the Minnesota cold until they told him Minnesota in January is like opening up your freezer and getting inside. ;)

Last edited:

While talking to a local at the airport (born and raised, never left the island) he remarked on everyone shedding their winter gear. He said it gets cold in Hawaii too. When it does, he has to put on his ‘winter shorts’.

He couldn’t grasp the Minnesota cold until they told him Minnesota in January is like opening up your freezer and getting inside. ;)
And in Minnesota in Jan…. that’s a warm day!

Reactions: psu00

While talking to a local at the airport (born and raised, never left the island) he remarked on everyone shedding their winter gear. Not joking, he said it gets cold in Hawaii too. When it does, he has to put on his ‘winter shorts’.

In American Samoa, there is a village up in the mountains where the temperature sometimes drops below 70 due to the elevation. The nickname for the villagers is "Alaskans" because (as with Hawaii) that is seen as crazy cold.

In American Samoa, there is a village up in the mountains where the temperature sometimes drops below 70 due to the elevation. The nickname for the villagers is "Alaskans" because (as with Hawaii) that is seen as crazy cold.

It is funny how relative our perceptions of things can be.

Pennsylvania winters have been pretty mild the past 2-3 years. We had very little snow last year. Someone from Buffalo would laugh at that being called winter.

Meanwhile, my neighbors from Alabama couldn’t take it anymore and moved back home. Their quote, (regarding the very mild winter), was “no one should live like this’. They weren’t even around long enough to see a normal winter here.

Pennsylvania winters have been pretty mild the past 2-3 years. We had very little snow last year. Someone from Buffalo would laugh at that being called winter.

Meanwhile, my neighbors from Alabama couldn’t take it anymore and moved back home. Their quote, (regarding the very mild winter), was “no one should live like this’. They weren’t even around long enough to see a normal winter here.
Yeah, I live in Pittsburgh and didn't have to shovel one time last winter. I remember the winters of 1977 and 1978, in which it looked like Siberia for months.

Also, back in the 70s and early 80s, I remember the snow starting in November. Now, it usually doesn't come for real until sometime in January.

Two interesting observations I've made about temperature:

1) As I've aged, my tolerance for cold weather has significantly decreased. I used to rarely be cold except in truly extreme conditions. Today a wind chill of 25 degrees made me very unhappy.

2) The human body adapts (over weeks) to what it thinks is cold. Most people probably notice this most when you have a cold snap. For example, if it was 60 yesterday and 40 today, 40 is going to seem a lot colder than if it's been 35 for 3 weeks straight. A more extreme example of this is when I was in Antarctica, I slept in a tent at -40F for weeks at a time. When I got back to the base, the buildings were heated to about 50, which felt *really* hot. Like I'd walk around in shorts and crack my dorm room window at night.

Two interesting observations I've made about temperature:

1) As I've aged, my tolerance for cold weather has significantly decreased. I used to rarely be cold except in truly extreme conditions. Today a wind chill of 25 degrees made me very unhappy.

2) The human body adapts (over weeks) to what it thinks is cold. Most people probably notice this most when you have a cold snap. For example, if it was 60 yesterday and 40 today, 40 is going to seem a lot colder than if it's been 35 for 3 weeks straight. A more extreme example of this is when I was in Antarctica, I slept in a tent at -40F for weeks at a time. When I got back to the base, the buildings were heated to about 50, which felt *really* hot. Like I'd walk around in shorts and crack my dorm room window at night.
Yep, if it gets 50 or more and sunny in Jan we are out in t shirts. But 50 in June breaks out the down vests!

Reactions: PSU2UNC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT