ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Athletes have formed a coalition to begin petitioning the NCAA. Please support their efforts?

While they all have my condolences, none of these athletes is getting my pity. High school seniors around the country lost their spring sports, proms, and graduations, etc. D2, D3, etc college athletes are out of luck. If they can suck it up, carry on, and try to be mature, so can the elite.

You’re saying it’s a greater tragedy to miss out on a HS Spring season or a prom than to miss out on an NCAA Championship?!?! Well, agree to disagree I guess...

Well for one thing, AND & OR are not synonymous.

Reactions: ccdiver
You’re saying it’s a greater tragedy to miss out on a HS Spring season or a prom than to miss out on an NCAA Championship?!?! Well, agree to disagree I guess...

I have to agree with him. I feel worse for the hs seniors missing their last season than college fr, soph and jrs. The same for college seniors.

Reactions: ccdiver
I have to agree with him. I feel worse for the hs seniors missing their last season than college fr, soph and jrs. The same for college seniors.

I probably shouldn’t continue to post on this as I said “agree to disagree” in my original post. Someone followed up with stating that it was all “a matter of perspective” anyway and that’s the bottom line - I totally agree with that statement!

I think what I took issue with was someone saying I won’t “take pity” on these guys while others have missed senior Spring sports, proms, and graduation ceremonies...again, I disagree that missing that stuff is a bigger deal than missing an NCAA championship! Graduating HS isn’t that difficult, proms are for anyone who wants to go, and HS Spring sports just doesn’t seem to measure up to The opportunity to win a college championship - all just my opinion...nobody has to agree.

But to not have “pity” on some because you feel others have it worse just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Can’t you feel bad for all of them? Someone always has it worse (at least according to each persons perspective on things), but it doesn’t mean that others didn’t get a raw deal! Some people are out of work, some may be facing losing a business, some may be Infected and/or losing loved ones - those are all “worse cases” than Winter college athletes that didn’t get their shot to win a title in 2020 if you ask me...BUT...it still sucks for those athletes, period!

I probably shouldn’t continue to post on this as I said “agree to disagree” in my original post. Someone followed up with stating that it was all “a matter of perspective” anyway and that’s the bottom line - I totally agree with that statement!

I think what I took issue with was someone saying I won’t “take pity” on these guys while others have missed senior Spring sports, proms, and graduation ceremonies...again, I disagree that missing that stuff is a bigger deal than missing an NCAA championship! Graduating HS isn’t that difficult, proms are for anyone who wants to go, and HS Spring sports just doesn’t seem to measure up to The opportunity to win a college championship - all just my opinion...nobody has to agree.

But to not have “pity” on some because you feel others have it worse just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Can’t you feel bad for all of them? Someone always has it worse (at least according to each persons perspective on things), but it doesn’t mean that others didn’t get a raw deal! Some people are out of work, some may be facing losing a business, some may be Infected and/or losing loved ones - those are all “worse cases” than Winter college athletes that didn’t get their shot to win a title in 2020 if you ask me...BUT...it still sucks for those athletes, period!

Ditto that. The no pity was also what riled me a bit.

Ditto that. The no pity was also what riled me a bit.
I’m not bothering to address Cali’s dumb take on my post, but I’m surprised that you also completely ignore my first six words. Lots of people have been hurt equally or greater by the pandemic than one set of senior athletes, and they ALL have my condolences.

I’m not bothering to address Cali’s dumb take on my post, but I’m surprised that you also completely ignore my first six words. Lots of people have been hurt equally or greater by the pandemic than one set of senior athletes, and they ALL have my condolences.

Odd take...Thesaurus.com has “condolence” listed 2nd as a synonym for “pity”

By calling it a "dumb take", aren't you addressing Cali's take on your post?

After reading, I'd say everyone is saying something very similar. All that I know have had their world turned upside down, and for many it's serious, whether we're talking financial, mental, psychological, physical, or any other type of health. That's big picture. That take is ok, imo, we're all human, but I also understand some taking a Penn State wrestler perspective on a Penn State wrestling forum. Whether it's empathy, caring, sympathy, whatever ... to me it shows that each of you care and have concern for others. As it should be.

Clearly a highly emotional issue for some. Look up the word ‘connotation.’ Might help you discern between “condolence” and “pity.”

Last edited:
While they all have my condolences, none of these athletes is getting my pity ...
You can’t look in a thesaurus. You have to look within yourself. To save yourself from your other self. Only then will your true self reveal itself. :)

Last edited:
I have an 18 year son that is missing out on alot of things that an 18 year old should get to enjoy. He's handling things well but does tend to whine being stuck in the house and not being able to spend time with friends and do kid things. I told him to just remember those 18 and 19 year old boys having their lives interrupted to go off to fight in WWII and other wars. I was kinda proud of him when he thanked me for showing him that maybe he's whining a bit more than he should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT