ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Athletes have formed a coalition to begin petitioning the NCAA. Please support their efforts?

What’s the Midlands plan? The 96 seniors who qualified for NCAA’s missed one weekend. Half of those were seeded in top ten. I suggest 2 barnstorming teams be put together and let them go to tournaments and even, as a team, schedule some duals. Then at the end of the year, let them qualify for their old conference tournaments and the NCAA’s. That way everyone wins.... but you cannot give them a full year when they only missed one weekend.
I think I saw Pyles tweet it. Invite all this year’s qualifiers (and only them) to a special midlands next year.

Reactions: Dogwelder
What’s the Midlands plan? The 96 seniors who qualified for NCAA’s missed one weekend. Half of those were seeded in top ten. I suggest 2 barnstorming teams be put together and let them go to tournaments and even, as a team, schedule some duals. Then at the end of the year, let them qualify for their old conference tournaments and the NCAA’s. That way everyone wins.... but you cannot give them a full year when they only missed one weekend.

I don’t get any of this. Just who will be paying to house and train these barnstorming teams? Where will they be enrolled? How do wrestlers that are not part of a conference team qualify for a conference tournament? You say you cannot give them a full year since they only missed one weekend, but you are essentially giving the barnstormers a full year by allowing them to go to tournaments, schedule some duals, and go to conference tournaments.

Mike Kemerer is the big winner of the Midlands plan -- because Midlands doesn't have room for Mark Hall.

I don't remember where I saw this tweet... probably this board! But a scientific answer to your question...
That's not a scientific answer. That's a pseudo-scientific answer.

The blank spots are primarily the most developed (where people do not need to go distances for supplies) or very remote places (such as federal land in the west).

Living in a more sparsely populated area and thus having to drive 5 or 10 or 50 miles to a grocery store or pharmacy does not make one more casual than, say, people on a packed NYC subway line. Or the crowds at the DC Fisherman's Wharf seafood market.

But it does put one on an easily misinterpreted heat map. Where those other, far riskier behaviors do not.

Reactions: 1AA

The blank spots are primarily the most developed (where people do not need to go distances for supplies) or very remote places (such as federal land in the west).

Living in a more sparsely populated area and thus having to drive 5 or 10 or 50 miles to a grocery store or pharmacy does not make one more casual than, say, people on a packed NYC subway line. Or the crowds at the DC Fisherman's Wharf seafood market.

But it does put one on an easily misinterpreted heat map. Where those other, far riskier behaviors do not.

This is a very good take on that map. I don't know if I'd even call it psuedo-science, it's just a plot of some data. Where I live the city-limit population is about 37k. During the day it is 2-3 times that as we serve as the hub of a multi-county, mostly rural area. The largest employers are related to health care (the No. 1 employer), banking, health insurance, food production and distribution, and manufacturing. Except for Dollar General and Family Dollar, grocery stores are few and far between outside of town. I suspect that most commutes are well over 5 miles, at a minimum. Overall, traffic appears to have decreased significantly.

Last edited:

Jefe,
You're taking all the fun out of us crushing Iowa again! It's all we have right now...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Ja1339

The map measures aberrations in travel patterns as compared to a normal baseline, not distance traveled. Even in rural areas, where it's a greater distance between home and the grocery and drug stores, the overall traffic should still be decreasing; and in most parts of that country that's true. In some parts it isn't. But it's also true that in many of those same parts, the risks are lower because social distancing is easier, or perhaps already something of a norm. But it's also true that some areas, mostly down south, as reflected by the map, are very late to the game and ignoring the risks almost entirely, largely because their local officials are dismissive of the risk. Meaning people are still gathering for lunch and dinner in restaurants, going to the office and sharing the same doorknobs.

Don't know about other states, but SC restaurants have been closed for 3 weeks except for take-out, so no one here is gathering for lunch or dinner in those places. SC has followed a step-wise progressive closure with things now limited to work or home or essential travel only. Maybe somewhat behind what I would have preferred, but they are not ignoring the risks.

Someone beat me to it, but it is changes in travel...unless you are calling LA, SF, SD and the rest of the California coast "sparsely populated".

Someone beat me to it, but it is changes in travel...unless you are calling LA, SF, SD and the rest of the California coast "sparsely populated".
And l hope nobody claims that people do not need to go distances for supplies in Los Angeles! The best sushi can be far away! :)

LA, SF, SD, and most of the CA coast are blank colors -- the parts of the country where most people don't have to go far for their needs.

The inland areas colored in various shades of orange are the more sparsely populated areas.

I never said the heat map measured distance traveled. I said that distance to necessities is a primary factor in whether or not that travel occurs, and that the heat map would induce faulty conclusions about people taking or not taking the disease seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCLion
LA, SF, SD, and most of the CA coast are blank colors -- the parts of the country where most people don't have to go far for their needs.

The inland areas colored in various shades of orange are the more sparsely populated areas.

I never said the heat map measured distance traveled. I said that distance to necessities is a primary factor in whether or not that travel occurs, and that the heat map would induce faulty conclusions about people taking or not taking the disease seriously.
But SF's figure is still going to be measured against SF's baseline. Everyone's county starts off dark red. It doesn't matter whether people travel greater distances in some regions b/c their figures are only measured against their baselines. And there are light-colored counties on the map that are just as spread out as Odessa Texas.

Regardless, the same data is broken out in greater detail here and clearly shows a strong correlation between stay at home orders and deviation from normal travel patterns.

Reactions: dbldoofus
But SF's figure is still going to be measured against SF's baseline. Everyone's county starts off dark red. It doesn't matter whether people travel greater distances in some regions b/c their figures are only measured against their baselines. And there are light-colored counties on the map that are just as spread out as Odessa Texas.

Regardless, the same data is broken out in greater detail here and clearly shows a strong correlation between stay at home orders and deviation from normal travel patterns.
I understand baselining.

Distance matters because it affects options. Excluding "essential" work commutes, SF can zero out travel -- everybody gets everything delivered. No grocery store delivers to my former boss' house in rural TN. If he moved 15-20 miles closer, still no dice -- the grocery stores have waiting lines for delivery registration, because they don't have enough trucks to service the area.

I'm sure there are other reasons why those colors show inconsistently even within a state. Citing Odessa is another example of that. Perhaps the Permian Basin has a higher percentage of "essential" workers?

Regarding local officials: the mayors and other high ranking public officials in NYC and New Orleans encouraged major public gatherings, and this week Chicago's mayor openly defied non-essential activity guidelines. Yet those cities have lowered their travel despite poor leadership. So it's a factor, but how much?

Remember that the original point was that the heat map is not a good indicator of casual attitudes. It can measure results. It cannot measure attitudes.

An extra year for winter sports athletes just isn't going to happen. Quite frankly it was never even on the table to begin with. Most schools can't afford bringing the spring athletes back and are telling them they need to move on. The money is just not there, and god help us if football is affected in the fall by the shutdowns.

Reactions: ccdiver
I know this looks like the right thing to do for this year's seniors. But what about the junior who waited patiently for his time? Never getting the starting position because he wasn't good enough to win the starting job over the upperclassmen

Now, if this was to happen, that junior never get his chance come his senior year.

Like someone else said "Need to just accept it and move on. Should of stuck with the plan to have it without fans."

Reactions: ccdiver
This map has it's drawbacks as well, but it's social distancing using cell data not staying home. Seems very similar in it's coloring. Living in Iowa I can tell you that although everything is very different, it's business as usual for many people. Most if not all events have been cancelled, but there are more than a few people who are ignoring warnings.

A local radio DJ here in Cedar Rapids owns a bar, and even though they have been shutdown since pre-St. Patricks Day, he was caught with open doors and customers last week. The customers oddly enough were smoking outside the building as code here requires, but not obeying the COVID-19 ordinances in place.

Our governor is terrible. Not going to change this to a political thread, she's just dumb. Get your information from experts in their fields not politicians who are worried about reelection.

PA shut down liquor stores and bars, but not distributors. Odd, but If I were a bar owner here, I wouldnt risk losing my license trying to sneakily stay open.

My bar/restaurant is now take-out only and for the first time, filling growlers.
Yeah, there are quite a few here that are offering this service now as well. Not normally allowed, but exceptions were made for these odd times.
That's not what this guy was doing. This is a small article from back in March where he finally caved after continually announcing he would stay open for a large crowd.

Va ABC stores have stayed open and restaurants / bars can sell drinks to go. Guess that might give a new meaning of the term 'round' for a bar / grill with a drive through :cool:

Reactions: liex26
Va ABC stores have stayed open and restaurants / bars can sell drinks to go. Guess that might give a new meaning of the term 'round' for a bar / grill with a drive through :cool:
We saw a parking lot Friday that had quite a few people tailgating with various uplifting signs. Most were drinking and they all looked like they were more than adequately distanced. Just enjoying a beautiful day in a new way.

Also, there has been a couple caravans of vehicles drive by honking with signs in their windows. One that I watched with my grandson lasted as long as a parade and had possibly 100+ cars/trucks. Some hot rods and antiques, but mostly just average everyday vehicles.

Wisconsin already came out and said they won't be paying for their spring sport seniors extra year. So if they want to stay in school and on a scholarship they would need to transfer. I'm sure they won't be the only school that announces something like this.

Wisconsin already came out and said they won't be paying for their spring sport seniors extra year. So if they want to stay in school and on a scholarship they would need to transfer. I'm sure they won't be the only school that announces something like this.
Here is why, and Wisconsin is hardly unique:
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...gn_1116119&cid=db&source=ams&sourceId=3265431

UW-Madison anticipates a $100 million loss because of the COVID-19 pandemic that has thrown its campus into chaos as dorms are emptied, classes moved online and students told to stay away.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank said the $100 million estimate represents how much the university would lose if life largely returns to normal by June, a timeline that is up in the air as scientific models continue to shift depending on the public’s compliance with social distancing.

“My expectation is there’s going to be a number of schools going out of business as a result of this,” she said, adding that she hoped none of the closures were within the University of Wisconsin System.

System spokesman Mark Pitsch said Monday he had no estimate for the collective financial loss of its 26 campuses, some of which were grappling with multimillion-dollar deficits before the coronavirus even emerged. UW-Milwaukee announced Friday that a hiring freeze is in effect and voluntary separation agreements plans are canceled.

Here is why, and Wisconsin is hardly unique:
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...gn_1116119&cid=db&source=ams&sourceId=3265431

UW-Madison anticipates a $100 million loss because of the COVID-19 pandemic that has thrown its campus into chaos as dorms are emptied, classes moved online and students told to stay away.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank said the $100 million estimate represents how much the university would lose if life largely returns to normal by June, a timeline that is up in the air as scientific models continue to shift depending on the public’s compliance with social distancing.

“My expectation is there’s going to be a number of schools going out of business as a result of this,” she said, adding that she hoped none of the closures were within the University of Wisconsin System.

System spokesman Mark Pitsch said Monday he had no estimate for the collective financial loss of its 26 campuses, some of which were grappling with multimillion-dollar deficits before the coronavirus even emerged. UW-Milwaukee announced Friday that a hiring freeze is in effect and voluntary separation agreements plans are canceled.
Yep, the economic ramifications of all this are just starting to bear fruit. Bumped into (6’ away, of course) Cody over the weekend—he was saying basically the same thing about how dire this is nationwide for athletics. Especially if football is impacted.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Yep, the economic ramifications of all this are just starting to bear fruit. Bumped into (6’ away, of course) Cody over the weekend—he was saying basically the same thing about how dire this is nationwide for athletics. Especially if football is impacted.
All the decisions will have a huge financial component, and far less emotion than what was prevalent early. I suspect over time there will be more bad news than good news regarding the college sports scene, and we may never return to the "normal" of just a few months ago. The coaches and administrators, not just wrestling, are hanging in there, waiting for better days so they can quantify the damage.

I'm hopeful that schools will take the approach of doing whatever it takes to help their sports teams survive. There is an intangible aspect that needs to be considered, and fighting for the sports each school sponsors should be part of the process.

God forbid, if next season is impacted, I have no problem still buying season tickets and in return give me an upgraded Lionvision with Jeff at the Microphone.

If you love your program and you have the resources in these tough times it is now time to step up to the plate. Wait, make that time to roll out the mat.

Administrators love programs that help themselves in dollars and numbers.

Reactions: nerfstate
While they all have my condolences, none of these athletes is getting my pity. High school seniors around the country lost their spring sports, proms, and graduations, etc. D2, D3, etc college athletes are out of luck. If they can suck it up, carry on, and try to be mature, so can the elite.

You’re saying it’s a greater tragedy to miss out on a HS Spring season or a prom than to miss out on an NCAA Championship?!?! Well, agree to disagree I guess...

You’re saying it’s a greater tragedy to miss out on a HS Spring season or a prom than to miss out on an NCAA Championship?!?! Well, agree to disagree I guess...
It's a matter of whose perspective you are looking from. For the high school athlete who is missing their last season of playing on a team and is never going to suit up again, it is huge. These kids are (probably) missing Commencement, the chance to be recognized for 12 years of work and achievements. My daughter is HS senior who played a fall sport. Yet missing all of the other events is still really hard.

The situation is terrible for many people in many ways. Trying to quantify who's loss is bigger is pointless.

It's a matter of whose perspective you are looking from. For the high school athlete who is missing their last season of playing on a team and is never going to suit up again, it is huge. These kids are (probably) missing Commencement, the chance to be recognized for 12 years of work and achievements. My daughter is HS senior who played a fall sport. Yet missing all of the other events is still really hard.

The situation is terrible for many people in many ways. Trying to quantify who's loss is bigger is pointless.

The only one who tried to quantify it was ccdiver with his comment that the college athletes don't have his pity and should just suck it up, as if they weren't already doing that.

Reactions: caliPSUfan
I feel for these kids no matter what age group they're in, but we need to take a step back and say Student/ athlete. Yes student capitalized for a reason, they are students first, they're hopefully still finishing their education getting their degree. That's what their 1st priority should be. That's a hell of alot more than many other kids their age are getting at this time. No not every kid can go to college for u simple folks.

ADVERTISEMENT