ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Athletes have formed a coalition to begin petitioning the NCAA. Please support their efforts?

John.... Here is one of Aaron's teammates thoughts and I would tend to believe that your extreme support of re-addressing this issue and for the sake of your wonderful son, that those winter athletes get their year back. It's just do and should be done.

As a side note John. To one Aaron from another Aaron, your son had a PHENOMENAL YEAR and should not have his ultimate championship taken away from him for a reason no one could foresee. It's would be a travesty to give Spring sports their year back and not do the same for winter sports. The sheer joy of watching Aaron wrestle during the season would only and could only finalized with participation in the NCAA Championships along with the athletes who've worked their entire lives to get there. Not just this YEAR.

Here are Shakur Rasheed's feelings:

Last edited:
I like the Midlands idea best. Would be awesome if the NCAAs sanctioned it, but they don’t have to. Anyway, I signed the petition. I refuse to believe in this case the easiest decision is the best one.

Please support these athletes. I can't imagine why, if you put student-athlete welfare first and foremost, giving back one semester of participation is an easy decision. If not, 25% of their NCAA post season experience is lost forever.

Last edited:
I hope the kids get another year back. However many don't seem to even want it, ie have moved on. There does seem to be more pressing issue right know than wrestling and trophies. I haven't missed a national D1 tourny since 1996 so yes I love wrestling.

I hope the kids get another year back. However many don't seem to even want it, ie have moved on. There does seem to be more pressing issue right know than wrestling and trophies. I haven't missed a national D1 tourny since 1996 so yes I love wrestling.

and that is the point, many will not come back so it minimizes any problem. Yet allows those who want their last chance to have it.

also, to the college, what is the actual cost. Yes, room and board is a cost, food, and a room. But tuiition, how does it really add to the universities real cost to let a student sit in on 5, or so, classes. Most of the costs, for prgrams in the red, is coaching, facilities, travel, etc, not actual cost of putting the kid in a classroom. At least that is how I see it.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
and that is the point, many will not come back so it minimizes any problem. Yet allows those who want their last chance to have it.

also, to the college, what is the actual cost. Yes, room and board is a cost, food, and a room. But tuiition, how does it really add to the universities real cost to let a student sit in on 5, or so, classes. Most of the costs, for prgrams in the red, is coaching, facilities, travel, etc, not actual cost of putting the kid in a classroom. At least that is how I see it.
Most universities didn't refund room& board for a reason.They will not be letting anyone sit in on any class for free.If they say you get another year ( which they won't) and Mark comes back how is that fair to Starocci?

Most universities didn't refund room& board for a reason.They will not be letting anyone sit in on any class for free.If they say you get another year ( which they won't) and Mark comes back how is that fair to Starocci?
I agree they won’t let anyone sit for free, but I am talking about real added costs to a university. I say, that with regards to tuition, they have no real added cost in letting a student sit there and get credit. I also say room and board is a slightly different case. There is some added cost, but generally not much. The dining halls are not ordering more food if they are feeding 500 or 501 students, arbitrary numbers of course. And with roms I say it isn’t an added cost, more of a lost incom eopportunity in not having someone else sleep, and pay, for that room.

plus, since most scholarships are fractional ones. The few that are effected by this, may not add up to even a full scholarship, depeneding on how you limit it, seniors, qualifiers, etc and then who actually accept it.

Situations can be worked on a case by case basis, and in some cases it will not be a perfect solution, but that is not a reason for a blanket refusal.

If they are giving up to 2 addition years for medical reasons, I,d think the Caronavirus should qualify for a medical redshirt as well.

...why not just...
...schedule the 2020 NCAA Wrestling Tournament over Thanksgiving weekend with only those who were eligible to participate in March as participants...
...seniors who have graduated may return to school to workout with the team at regularly scheduled practice times but do not hafta attend classes...
...it would give everyone who had earned their way into the tourney a chance to complete their journey without affecting the eligibility status quo ...
...and after Thanksgiving everyone returns to their normal schedule...
...and the former seniors can leave in peace... oh, well...

I agree they won’t let anyone sit for free, but I am talking about real added costs to a university. I say, that with regards to tuition, they have no real added cost in letting a student sit there and get credit. I also say room and board is a slightly different case. There is some added cost, but generally not much. The dining halls are not ordering more food if they are feeding 500 or 501 students, arbitrary numbers of course. And with roms I say it isn’t an added cost, more of a lost incom eopportunity in not having someone else sleep, and pay, for that room.

plus, since most scholarships are fractional ones. The few that are effected by this, may not add up to even a full scholarship, depeneding on how you limit it, seniors, qualifiers, etc and then who actually accept it.

Situations can be worked on a case by case basis, and in some cases it will not be a perfect solution, but that is not a reason for a blanket refusal.
Just to clarify: room/board/tuition costs to schools would be impacted by exactly zero. The schools allocate max 9.9 scholarships regardless -- the remaining costs are paid by the students and their families. Unless the NCAA grants an increase to the 9.9 scholarships, the overall math does not change, only the details of its distribution among the students.

The one area that could add some university expense would be insurance -- but even then, only if roster sizes were increased, which is highly unlikely. (It would require an across-the-board roster size increase due to Title IX implications.)

A perspective from NY: Lets spend our efforts where it will do some good. By next wrestling season(assuming it could happen) a realistic scenario is 200000 dead in the US, baseball cancelled, NFL cancelled, College football cancelled, College sports struggling to survive with no football money, the economy in a depression, 10s of millions out of work. This is not an issue to worry about.

Reactions: Ski
Just to clarify: room/board/tuition costs to schools would be impacted by exactly zero. The schools allocate max 9.9 scholarships regardless -- the remaining costs are paid by the students and their families. Unless the NCAA grants an increase to the 9.9 scholarships, the overall math does not change, only the details of its distribution among the students.

The one area that could add some university expense would be insurance -- but even then, only if roster sizes were increased, which is highly unlikely. (It would require an across-the-board roster size increase due to Title IX implications.)
But my contention is that even if they lift the 9.9 for a one time addition of a few seniors, it still doesn't raise their actual costs. The most costly part, earning of college credits is really just an electronic process, they aren't actually adding more instructors or building a new class room for a few extra athletes. There would be minimal more food purchased if they boarded, and some lost income from a room they couldn't rent to someone else, but most of the impacted wrestlers probably live off campus.

...why not just...
...schedule the 2020 NCAA Wrestling Tournament over Thanksgiving weekend with only those who were eligible to participate in March as participants...
...seniors who have graduated may return to school to workout with the team at regularly scheduled practice times but do not hafta attend classes...
...it would give everyone who had earned their way into the tourney a chance to complete their journey without affecting the eligibility status quo ...
...and after Thanksgiving everyone returns to their normal schedule...
...and the former seniors can leave in peace... oh, well...

Nothing sounds more miserable than having to weigh-in three times over Thanksgiving. 2020 ship has sailed.

But my contention is that even if they lift the 9.9 for a one time addition of a few seniors, it still doesn't raise their actual costs. The most costly part, earning of college credits is really just an electronic process, they aren't actually adding more instructors or building a new class room for a few extra athletes. There would be minimal more food purchased if they boarded, and some lost income from a room they couldn't rent to someone else, but most of the impacted wrestlers probably live off campus.
I'm not sure how schools get away with not refunding room and board. My daughter had all of her room and board refunded by LHU. No way I'm paying four months of room and board if they were there two or three weeks. That's B S. If this were the case with kids getting refunded then they could transfer that to next semester so technically room and board would be paid for already. This won't apply to kids who did stay on campus the while semester. Not sure how many were doing that

I'm not sure how schools get away with not refunding room and board. My daughter had all of her room and board refunded by LHU. No way I'm paying four months of room and board if they were there two or three weeks. That's B S. If this were the case with kids getting refunded then they could transfer that to next semester so technically room and board would be paid for already. This won't apply to kids who did stay on campus the while semester. Not sure how many were doing that
I am pretty sure I read that PSU was refunding prorated room and board, and also forcing students to leave the dorms. I am not sure what they did for international students that can't just leave at the drop of a hat.

I don't believe anyone has ever been granted a medical hardship after participating in over 80% of the season. Most if not all agree it's horrible/unfortunate that these kids didn't get to wrestle the national tourny. They did however get to participate in at least 80-90% of the season. Let's hope there is a tournament next March, with some new faces of wrestlers that will wow us!

If you believe the news, there is a C19 death every 6 minutes in NYC alone, call it a war, or whatever the hell you want.
We're just first. Judging from the casual approach taken elsewhere, two and three weeks from now there will be places in this country that'll wish they were NYC.

FWIW, Manhattan has it easy, at least relative to Brooklyn and Queens. That's probably b/c most people living in Manhattan have white collar jobs and can work from home, and the outer boroughs have more blue collar people (recently upgraded to "essential workers") who need to travel for work. I've not taken the subway in weeks.

I don't believe anyone has ever been granted a medical hardship after participating in over 80% of the season. Most if not all agree it's horrible/unfortunate that these kids didn't get to wrestle the national tourny. They did however get to participate in at least 80-90% of the season. Let's hope there is a tournament next March, with some new faces of wrestlers that will wow us!
This^^^. More important things to worry about. Plus might as well teach these kids now that there are more important things than wrestling and that life just ain't fair. I thought they should of had it with no crowd but that ship had sailed. History will not look down upon a guy who was "only" a three timer and was held back from a chance at a fourth because of this. Just like we don't hold it against the greats who weren't allowed to wrestle as freshman.

Football will be played with or without a crowd. No other option.

We're just first. Judging from the casual approach taken elsewhere, two and three weeks from now there will be places in this country that'll wish they were NYC.

FWIW, Manhattan has it easy, at least relative to Brooklyn and Queens. That's probably b/c most people living in Manhattan have white collar jobs and can work from home, and the outer boroughs have more blue collar people (recently upgraded to "essential workers") who need to travel for work. I've not taken the subway in weeks.

Thanks Tikk, the boy is in 10012,where u at?

80% of the country is on some form of lockdown. Who is taking the casual approach toward this?

80% of the country is on some form of lockdown. Who is taking the casual approach toward this?
Today I spoke to a friend who lives in the Bronx but is presently in FL with his wife's family and has been there for the last month. He mentioned his trip to the grocery today, where none of the kids working there were wearing gloves, masks, and the store was crowded. Florida is on "lockdown." Lockdown isn't a switch you flip on, it's a spectrum people adhere to inconsistently with varying levels of seriousness, dependent in large part on what local government is tells them. Even in NYC, I noticed a big difference from yesterday to today in people on the street wearing masks, like from 20% to 75%. You can debate whether masks work, but it's probably a good indicator of how serious people are taking this, and, to understate things, there's some correlative relationship between how serious people are taking it and successful mitigation.

I like the Midlands idea best. Would be awesome if the NCAAs sanctioned it, but they don’t have to. Anyway, I signed the petition. I refuse to believe in this case the easiest decision is the best one.
What’s the Midlands plan? The 96 seniors who qualified for NCAA’s missed one weekend. Half of those were seeded in top ten. I suggest 2 barnstorming teams be put together and let them go to tournaments and even, as a team, schedule some duals. Then at the end of the year, let them qualify for their old conference tournaments and the NCAA’s. That way everyone wins.... but you cannot give them a full year when they only missed one weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT