ADVERTISEMENT

Will never see Out of Conference Scheduling like 1999 ?

Beaver-Stadium

Sep 17, 2017
With all the talk about weak OOC scheduling across college football

Penn State's 1999 OOC Games:
#4 Arizona
Pitt
#8 Miami
Akron :)

That is insane, we will never see anything like that ever again.

Arizona was added late. It was one of those Pigskin Classics that have since been eliminated. The Cats and Canes wound up sucking that year anyway. Both were preseason top tens, but IIRC, neither were close to being ranked at the end of the season.

Arizona was added late. It was one of those Pigskin Classics that have since been eliminated. The Cats and Canes wound up sucking that year anyway. Both were preseason top tens, but IIRC, neither were close to being ranked at the end of the season.

Your correct Arizona was over rated for sure. Miami did have a decent team that year and that was a road game.

Just crazy to think looking back now the way team handle the out of conference scheduling.

Arizona finished 6-6.

Miami finished strong - 9-4 - won their bowl game, and the Canes were ranked #15 at the end of the season.

We have Auburn in ‘21&’22 I believe

You are correct, but one thing last year told everyone is there is no need to play a tough out of conference game in the BIG 10 because if you are a one loss conference champion you are in. No need to take any chance.

Personally i would cancel any decent out of conference game if i was Franklin.

Arizona finished 6-6.

Miami finished strong - 9-4 - won their bowl game, and the Canes were ranked #15 at the end of the season.
Thanks, I remember the U losing at E Carolina a week later by the same score we beat them by. Lost track of them after that. My first clue that maybe we weren't all that.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Thanks, I remember the U losing at E Carolina a week later by the same score we beat them by. Lost track of them after that. My first clue that maybe we weren't all that.

I really wanted to believe that year, but in addition to Miami we also needed near-miracles to beat Pitt and Purdue. It did not go as planned. The defense was very good but its weakest link was extremely weak. The offense was just not good. It was also one of the first indications that recruiting rankings were garbage.

Reactions: LineMountain
Miami was loaded with young talent. Two years later they had perhaps the most talented team of all time.

Reactions: psu2016
Since the B1G went to 9 conference games you’re only getting 1 marquee nonconference game. We only have 4 Home conference games in odd years. Pitt, WVU, Va Tech, Auburn all coming up.

Since the B1G went to 9 conference games you’re only getting 1 marquee nonconference game. We only have 4 Home conference games in odd years. Pitt, WVU, Va Tech, Auburn all coming up.

It doesn't really make sense to schedule more than 1 P5 OOC game. Clearly having less than 2 losses is more important than strength of schedule. (See Washington last year) With what we have to get through in the BIG East division it will be two cupcakes and one P5.

You are correct, but one thing last year told everyone is there is no need to play a tough out of conference game in the BIG 10 because if you are a one loss conference champion you are in. No need to take any chance.

Personally i would cancel any decent out of conference game if i was Franklin.
What? Ohio State didn't win the B1G last year - we did. And perhaps the biggest reason they went to the CFP ahead of us was because they played - and beat - Oklahoma

Reactions: Lyons212
I think it's a mistake to look at last year to determine how you should schedule OOC. Last year was an aberration because there were so few 0 or 1 loss teams. Any other year, Washington pays the price for its schedule. Most years, there are going to be multiple 1 loss teams vying for the final couple spots in the playoff, and you're going to want a good OOC win on your resume when that happens.

With all the talk about weak OOC scheduling across college football

Penn State's 1999 OOC Games:
#4 Arizona
Pitt
#8 Miami
Akron :)

That is insane, we will never see anything like that ever again.

Arizona was Over Rated. That ranking was because they had a good year in 1998.

Or in our case recently, 0 marquee nonconference games.

Scheduling tough OOC games provides margin for error. Right now PSU has none because our OOC games have been bad. If you have a cupcake schedule you better win 'em all or hope like hell that it's a year with few CFP contenders. With a strong schedule you might be able to get away with not winning your conference, or can win coin flips vs. other CFP contenders in a crowded field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT