ADVERTISEMENT

Will Levis throwing video goes viral what do you think?

Guess what, kids with weak arms don’t ever become studs.
Not true....a lot of guys with weak arms become studs...just ask Chad Pennington. I don’t think Brady’s arm is all that strong either.

Remember it was Levis who got us back into the Ohio State game in 2019 and Journey dropped a sure TD pass that would have tied up the game.

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-...otential-still-the-backup-ohio-state#comments

I do remember and he did all helluva job given the circumstances. On the other hand and at risk of being ripped endlessly on here, any realistic chance PSU had of winning that game ended when Clifford got hurt. Levis had some initial success running which is not unusual when a different QB comes that a team hasn’t prepared for. OSU adjusted, stopped Levis from running, dated him to pass and the game was over. This is NOT a criticism of Levis, simply a recognition that particularly at that stage of his career he hadn’t had many chances to pass and understandably wasn’t up to the task.
Should be interesting to see how Yurcich handled the QB room. Maybe he can teach Levis to improve his touch passing and game awareness.

I keep reading how QBs with strong arms (that flop) are a dime a dozen. Guess what, kids with weak arms don’t ever become studs. This kid has the building blocks to be a stud. It’s up to him and coaching to make that a reality. No one’s future is set in stone. How about we all wait and see before opining on his success or failure?

Well I hope you are right, but since neither you nor I attend practices neither of us know if Levis has or will ever have the ability to throw touch passes and take something’s off the ball. Despite his 5 star rating and what I am sure was countless hours of coaching, Hackenberg never was able to throw swing or screen passes (and I am a Hack “defender”). Pribula showed the ability to do that already in the state championship game.

Well I hope you are right, but since neither you nor I attend practices neither of us know if Levis has or will ever have the ability to throw touch passes and take something’s off the ball. Despite his 5 star rating and what I am sure was countless hours of coaching, Hackenberg never was able to throw swing or screen passes (and I am a Hack “defender”). Pribula showed the ability to do that already in the state championship game.
Clifford has a higher QB rating than Morelli, Hackenberg (strong arms) and yes, even slightly higher than McSorley.....but, Levis has a video....

I remember the Blackledge/Hostetler competition well. Actually, was rooting for Jeff to win the job. Joe gave Todd and Jeff equal opportunities to win the job early in the season However, Hostetler was benched after making a couple bad turnovers early in a game and the rest is history. Joe’s choice of Blackledge was in large part based upon on-field performance rather than subjectivity. Your observation that it turned out Hostetler could play is correct; however, it is equally true that the fact that Levis has a gun for an arm doesn’t mean he can be a successful QB.
I don't remember all the specifics of Blackledge Hostetler. It looks like they both played badly against Nebraska in 1980, but Blackledge appeared to take over the job the next week. Neither was especially great that year, both under 50 percent passing. Blackledge had 13 picks vs. 7 interceptions. Joe was the type that once he made up his mind was unlikely to change it. Joe at that time mainly saw the QB as someone to hand the ball off, throw a few passes here and there and most importantly not screw things up while the defense and ground attack won the game. Hostetler was the better QB and it's not even close - he proved it in the NFL. Maybe he doesn't develop if he stays at Penn State. He clearly doesn't develop sitting on the bench. Blackledge was a good choice for PSU since we won it all in 1982. Maybe we win 2 titles with Hostetler at QB. I'm glad we got one, at least.

I agree that having a strong arm doesn't a QB make. But being the backup doesn't make someone a bad QB or even worse than the other guy.

Not true....a lot of guys with weak arms become studs...just ask Chad Pennington. I don’t think Brady’s arm is all that strong either.
I disagree. The guys you mentioned didn’t have weak arms. They might not have had strong arms, but definitely not weak.

I disagree. The guys you mentioned didn’t have weak arms. They might not have had strong arms, but definitely not weak.
In terms of NFL players, you have to look at that relatively speaking. Sure Pennington’s arm is strong compared to some Joe off the street, but not compared to other NFL players (or even D-1 players).

I really hope the new OC is intelligent and wise enough to read this board and learn. He might have a fighting chance to be pretty good and make the right decisions and play calls if he does. 😉

We had a starting quarterback some years ago that was a five-star recruit and I bet had a better arm than Levis does. He didn't have much touch on his passes and wasn't great in the pocket. My assumption is that the reason Levis does not play is because he has those same issues
And AM was said to be able to throw a ball thru a car wash without it getting wet.....tough translation to football games.

Agree that Yurcich has been at the top of Franklin's list for some time and he has a profile that may open the door to higher rated QB recruits down the road.
I question what evidence you (or anyone )have that "Franklin forced KC to mesh his offense into the existing offense." That has been a myth perpetrated by many here and repeated so as to become legend.....I recall when KC was hired, the understanding was that there would be a merging of philosophies. If this was "forced" upon KC, why would he come here? I actually thought he came here of his own free will.

This was from initial hiring. It was talked about a lot in the spring that it was a meshing of offenses and that Franklin wanted current offense to stay so there wasn’t a big learning curve for already established offense.

Until then, Franklin said his staff will continuing spending a lot of these hours merging and meshing aspects of Ciarrocca's read-pass-option offense into Penn State's plan under former coordinators Joe Moorhead and Ricky Rahne.
This critical hire, Franklin said, was about "finding somebody who says, 'OK, I'm really good at what I do, but also I have enough flexibility that I'm not just going to come in and blow everything up and start all over' when that's not where we're at as a program."

Reactions: marshall23

it seems like everyone here is agreeing that there are a few characteristics of what makes up an elite QB. since the Will Levis vid is big arm, that is drawing the discussion, but everyone seems to agree, touch, pocket presence, good decisions and mobility are key assets. the NFL Combine goes through a bunch of metrics - none of which involves actually playing games, but somehow they see translating to games. then they interview these dudes - Hack did pretty well on all this at the combine, but did not make it as an actual QB. I think at different points, the elite QB needs to perform at a high level on all these items.

re the big arm I do remember Will Levis throwing a deep ball on a fly pattern to one of the super fast walk on WRs in 2019 BW game. what I remember is this guy was super fast and never broke stride when he caught the pass for a TD. During the 2019 season he had a chance and burned some DB in a game, but had to slow down and wait for Cliff's pass, which turned into a 50/50 ball. if you have WRs who can burn the DBs (i.e. Hamler type), then having a QB who can deliver is quite an advantage. If that is all the player can do, then that is never going to be enough. Hack showed he could stretch the field from the day he arrived - he was just missing some other traits. whether he could have developed those other traits under BOB we will never know.

Reactions: Doug456
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT