ADVERTISEMENT

Will Levis throwing video goes viral what do you think?

With the right coaching, this kid can be a stud.

You can't teach arm strength.
There are a lot of other things you can’t teach either and the kid either has them or doesn’t....flops with strong arms are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: blair10
We had a starting quarterback some years ago that was a five-star recruit and I bet had a better arm than Levis does. He didn't have much touch on his passes and wasn't great in the pocket. My assumption is that the reason Levis does not play is because he has those same issues

I am no football expert (never played organized football, never coached), but Levis looks very impressive in that video. Maybe the coaches see something in practice, or more than one thing, that the video doesn’t show that is holding Levis back, or maybe the video represents improvement that will translate to him taking on a bigger role this coming season. Regardless, let’s give Franklin room to screw this up. o_O

I bet the tackles weren’t hitting receivers in stride though.
It doesn't matter. There are 20 other people on the field in live action. If this was all it took, then the golfer with the longest tee shot would be the next Tiger Woods. LOL

I think that is the point. I have seen a tackle get converted to QB in highschool.
Must have been like me and played football for a small enough school that regularly gets less than 20 kids on the team. Lol

Guy who I played with in hs was 6' 300. I played qb he was my rt. Well his son is now a senior and moved from rt to qb this year. He sent me a message back in August when it happened. His kid is 6'2 220 and last year they had a good qb so he played rt as he is one of the biggest in the school. Well they went to 7 on 7 this summer and their expected qb got hurt so since he knew the offense and could throw, they put him back there. Ended up honorable mention all county this year.

I am no football expert (never played organized football, never coached), but Levis looks very impressive in that video. Maybe the coaches see something in practice, or more than one thing, that the video doesn’t show that is holding Levis back, or maybe the video represents improvement that will translate to him taking on a bigger role this coming season. Regardless, let’s give Franklin room to screw this up. o_O
Too late, he already has.....it's the default judgement of all fanboys here.

Must have been like me and played football for a small enough school that regularly gets less than 20 kids on the team. Lol

Guy who I played with in hs was 6' 300. I played qb he was my rt. Well his son is now a senior and moved from rt to qb this year. He sent me a message back in August when it happened. His kid is 6'2 220 and last year they had a good qb so he played rt as he is one of the biggest in the school. Well they went to 7 on 7 this summer and their expected qb got hurt so since he knew the offense and could throw, they put him back there. Ended up honorable mention all county this year.
Not to burst any balloons, but honorable mention means your coach nominated you and you didn't get enough votes (in many cases you received no votes) from the other coaches. Not being a dick, really, but lots of experience with this sort of thing.

I'll guess new OC Yurcich has noticed Levis.

2 QBs will play, and the coaches will need to make decisions along the way.

We had a starting quarterback some years ago that was a five-star recruit and I bet had a better arm than Levis does. He didn't have much touch on his passes and wasn't great in the pocket. My assumption is that the reason Levis does not play is because he has those same issues
Bingo....no internal clock, no pocket presence, slow reads. no touch, happy feet or just poor footwork in general......could be one or all of the above....and a dash of the yips thrown in....who knows. None of us are at practice. The way some guys act here, I assume they've never seen a MLB batting practice. Everyone looks pretty damn good.
In basketball I have a friend who coached basketball at Auburn....he called them "5 o'clock shooters." Games never started at 5.

Didn’t Hackenberg say that Zettel had the best arm on the team? Zettel also had some story where he went to the batting cages for fun and threw a few pitches—in the 90s. Not bad for a DT.

Kind of. City school that was influenced by the school district decisions and raided by the Catholic schools.

Reactions: bison13
Bingo....no internal clock, no pocket presence, slow reads. no touch, happy feet or just poor footwork in general......could be one or all of the above....and a dash of the yips thrown in....who knows. None of us are at practice. The way some guys act here, I assume they've never seen a MLB batting practice. Everyone looks pretty damn good.
In basketball I have a friend who coached basketball at Auburn....he called them "5 o'clock shooters." Games never started at 5.
Is anyone allowed to just discuss things here without you dumping on every reply? You must have been a real pain in the butt as a coach.

We see him in the games, what do you guys think after seeing this? Obviously the coaches see him everyday, is he being under utilzed?

No pass rush, no DBs covering the WRs, and first read is the only read. Hardly a simulation for the real thing, but hopefully has good footwork and accuracy and can build confidence.

Looks good to me. It sure as hell beats another Clifford interception without him even caring. 🤷‍♂️

For The Blogy on YouTube has a decent analysis of Levis in the Nebraska game. Candutti ( sp ? ) made the case that while Clifford May have a higher ceiling, Levis has a higher floor. Clifford was having some real problems with his mechanics in the first half of the season that may have related to the OL. Levis does seem to have more consistent mechanics. I think Clifford has had the edge when it comes to seeing the field and being in synch with his receivers.

You sound like you coached football, which of course disqualifies your opinions here.

• Haha
Reactions: BFPSU
Great that he has a gun. But whether he's a starting QB at this level depends mostly only his ability to read and make decisions at lightning speed. Lots of people with great arms who are not going to be starting QBs in a power 5 program.

Not to burst any balloons, but honorable mention means your coach nominated you and you didn't get enough votes (in many cases you received no votes) from the other coaches. Not being a dick, really, but lots of experience with this sort of thing.
Maybe there were two very,very good QBs in that county or conference that year.Thus a good QB had to be honorable mention.Did you ever see this happen in your many years of coaching?

Reactions: psu2016
Can Levis read defenses and work through progressions? Not saying he can’t, but just having a cannon isn’t enough.

To put that video into any relevant perspective we'd need to see Clifford and Taquan do the same. We also have two qb's coming in that look to have strong arms and good physique. Nothing against Will, I was impressed with the video

And I have 20 plus years of experience in athletic Administration too. Coaching I have two football state championships a baseball state championship and three final four appearances in basketball. Basically means the kid was the third best quarterback in a 10-team conference. Because he was the only one that was honorable mention not too bad for a kid that didn't start playing quarterback until June.

But I forgot you're never wrong about anything related to Athletics because you've done it for so long. It's not like there arent two dozen other guys in this message board who have at least as much experience as me too. Not everybody does things the same way that they do in your area.

Last edited:
Franklin has stated openly the levis struggles with some of the finer points of the position, specifically, taking heat off his ball and throwing touch pases.

Reactions: bison13
It doesn’t change your point, which I agree with, but Fitz said he thought Levis’s arm was stronger than Hackenburg and Morelli.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bison13
It doesn’t change your point, which I agree with, but Fitz said he thought Levis’s arm was stronger than Hackenburg and Morelli.
It might be. I'm older now so maybe I'm just one of those curmudgeons that thinks things were better years ago or in this case think that he threw harder because it was 10 years ago. LOL

Reactions: Ranger Dan
He def has NFL arm. He's big and mobile too. I don't know I would love to see him start few games. Haven't really seen enough of him throwing to see what he can do.

Reactions: Doug456
Yea well, there's been fans here that have seen at least as much of Hack and Morelli to judge as well as Fritz. I think everyone would agree that we'd love to have Levis throw darts to actual receivers in a real game. Our new OC is well regarded with his qb's so let's see what he comes up with. It is a good video but is it really viral?

ADVERTISEMENT