ADVERTISEMENT

Will Levis throwing video goes viral what do you think?

Great that he has a gun. But whether he's a starting QB at this level depends mostly only his ability to read and make decisions at lightning speed. Lots of people with great arms who are not going to be starting QBs in a power 5 program.
Or it comes down to only one can play most of the time and CJF liked Clifford first and that's how it has stayed.. Many times it's subjective. JoePa picked Blackledge. We won a National Championship with him. Hostetler transferred to WVU, married the coach's daughter, and later won a Super Bowl. Hostetler wasn't getting on the field if he stayed, but that doesn't mean he wasn't good enough to play.

Maybe there were two very,very good QBs in that county or conference that year.Thus a good QB had to be honorable mention.Did you ever see this happen in your many years of coaching?
Of course. Just stating a simple fact. Being the 3rd best of 10 is slightly above average.

And I have 20 plus years of experience in athletic Administration too. Coaching I have two football state championships a baseball state championship and three final four appearances in basketball. Basically means the kid was the third best quarterback in a 10-team conference. Because he was the only one that was honorable mention not too bad for a kid that didn't start playing quarterback until June.

But I forgot you're never wrong about anything related to Athletics because you've done it for so long. It's not like there arent two dozen other guys in this message board who have at least as much experience as me too. Not everybody does things the same way that they do in your area.
What's wrong with stating that being (at best) the 3rd best qb of 10 isn't worth writing about? I keep reading here that Michigan is a 3rd place team (in the east)......Your are 100% correct....not too bad.

And I have 20 plus years of experience in athletic Administration too. Coaching I have two football state championships a baseball state championship and three final four appearances in basketball. Basically means the kid was the third best quarterback in a 10-team conference. Because he was the only one that was honorable mention not too bad for a kid that didn't start playing quarterback until June.

But I forgot you're never wrong about anything related to Athletics because you've done it for so long. It's not like there arent two dozen other guys in this message board who have at least as much experience as me too. Not everybody does things the same way that they do in your area.
Given the total number of posters here and if indeed there are at least 2 dozen posters here with as much experience as I have.....wouldn't I still be honorable mention? :cool:

You sound like you coached football, which of course disqualifies your opinions here.
I'm only one of at least 2 dozen or more ...so I'm told.
But, here are my thoughts. Levis has been with the program for 3 years or more. What the video tells us is that he can "throw a football thru a brick wall." We already know he can run thru a brick wall. During the 3 years he's been with the program, James Franklin, Ricky Rahne, Tyler Bowen(declined to start Levis over a banged up Clifford in the Cotton Bowl) and Kirk Ciarrocca, have not deemed him superior to Sean Clifford. Now I know that what coaches at Penn State decide means nothing in comparison to a 20 second video clip.......
Fans like the "game pants" fantasy. "Put the kid in" you never know he might be the next Johnny Unitas. Coaches know. They have a thousand hours of practice evaluations and tapes.
I hope Will Levis stays at PSU. What we know about him at this point is he is very valuable in a short yardage "Wildcat" package. He would provide PSU with a very experienced and serviceable backup quarterback should the starter go down to injury.
A QB option that would not mean an automatic loss if the starter were sidelined.
Mike Yurcich will provide a new set of eyes this spring. He will formulate his own evaluation of the QB room. Perhaps, we will see a QB added through the portal. In any event, don't be surprised if Levis isn't with PSU this fall. I have a hunch that Clifford would be more likely to stay for this year and fight to retain the starting job than Levis (to stay and try to be #1). Clifford, if he's passed over would likely then go to another program needing a stop gap (1 year solution) for next season.
I feel like this is deja vu all over again (Tommy).
Now, the rank and file here will likely read this and deduce that I am a Sean Clifford apologist. I would remind everyone to go back to their love fest directed to Clifford when Tommy Stevens left. You remember the TDs SC threw in garbage time. Had the loyal fan boys here wet in the pants.

I think we still need an upgrade at QB for Clifford and Levis..
I think the coaches would do their best to acquire an upgrade. But the caveat is.....that isn't every QB in the portal. Just about every QB in the portal has their own baggage. I don't see a Fields or a Burrow available at this moment.
I think that bringing in Yurcich, puts PSU in contention for "upgrades" either through the portal or in the future with top rated recruits. If I had to bet, with all the information we have right at this moment.....I'd guess Clifford is the starter for next year. But as a PSU fan....I hope there is a Burrow-like QB who is about to enter the portal........

Is anyone allowed to just discuss things here without you dumping on every reply? You must have been a real pain in the butt as a coach.
Actually, my reply concurred with the opinion of the poster. But, taking the time to read must be a real pain in the butt for you.

Actually, my reply concurred with the opinion of the poster. But, taking the time to read must be a real pain in the butt for you.
Actually it was all the other post/posters you dumped on....who never watched an mlb practice.

Reactions: bison13
I think the coaches would do their best to acquire an upgrade. But the caveat is.....that isn't every QB in the portal. Just about every QB in the portal has their own baggage. I don't see a Fields or a Burrow available at this moment.
I think that bringing in Yurcich, puts PSU in contention for "upgrades" either through the portal or in the future with top rated recruits. If I had to bet, with all the information we have right at this moment.....I'd guess Clifford is the starter for next year. But as a PSU fan....I hope there is a Burrow-like QB who is about to enter the portal........
Nobody knew Burrow was going to be that good, hell the kid wanted to go to Nebraska, but Frostie didn't want him.. Bottom line is PSU got to get better at that position.

Watching him play the last two years, you can see he has no pocket presence and not a lot of touch on the ball- that dose not mean he cannot get better at both and start his final year. Looked great in the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Actually it was all the other post/posters you dumped on....who never watched an mlb practice.
So if you have seen MLB bp you will agree that even the .200 hitters hit lasers and bury the ball over the fence? So why would anyone think that a college qb in a bubble, no one else around him be impressive for anything other than arm strength?

Watching him play the last two years, you can see has no pocket presence and not a lot of touch on the ball- that dose not mean he cannot get better at both and start his final year. Looked great in the video.
There is always hope. I think there is a bigger chance he transfers to a lower level D1 if he does'nt win the job outright this spring. Years ago, I'd agree with you. Not many QB's stick around waiting for their last shot anymore.

Recruiting out of the portal? How many great ones are out there? Burrow showed nothing at OSU but finally‘got it’ his final year. Fields got happy feet when he wasn’t handed the starting job just for showing up. Both were kind of risky but it worked out eventually.

Hurts got beat out by Tua so he was interesting, but he was really just a run first game manager at Bama. He progressed after he got to OK.

All 3 were not slam dunks and typically required at least one year to adjust. So be prepared to sacrifice one year while a transfer adjusts and grows no matter who you get. I doubt we become elite with anyone out of the portal without growing pains.

Just to be clear, I didn’t post the clip to disparage Will or say the coaches don’t know what they are doing...I was like this is interesting, what do you guys think? Me? I think he looks great in the video but as others have pointed out, that doesn’t always translate directly into games.

I think KC was probably a good offensive coordinator and QB coach but with no spring and with Franklin forcing KC to mesh his offense into the existing offense with a really tough preparation period, it was a no win situation. If we would have had a proper year of prep I believe the results would have been positive.

I am not making excuses, just a crappy year to make such a switch. Set everyone and the program back. Now onto Yurcich, I think this guy is a great get, I think it is who Franklin has had at the top of his board for a long time. When he finally had the chance to make it happen he had to go for it. Hopefully we will have as normal of a spring, summer as possible to properly install Yurcich’s offense and for him to work with the QBs hand in hand. Fields raved over how much he meant to him developing into a QB who could stand in the pocket and be a quarterback. I do think we have talent in the room and it is experienced, I also think this will open us up to better QB recruits out of high school and from the portal. I am expecting if things can be somewhat normal in preparation of 2021 that Yurcich will have a very big impact on what our offense looks like and how our QBs develop.

Always the right answer. Just add the requisite OUTRAGE. o_O so that everyone sees your emotion and therefore knows you are one to be taken seriously as an interwebs expert of the highest order.

FIRE. FRANKLIN. o_O

Like that.
We are elite fans ! WE DESERVE BETTER!

Must have been like me and played football for a small enough school that regularly gets less than 20 kids on the team. Lol

Guy who I played with in hs was 6' 300. I played qb he was my rt. Well his son is now a senior and moved from rt to qb this year. He sent me a message back in August when it happened. His kid is 6'2 220 and last year they had a good qb so he played rt as he is one of the biggest in the school. Well they went to 7 on 7 this summer and their expected qb got hurt so since he knew the offense and could throw, they put him back there. Ended up honorable mention all county this year.
Similar deal here with a small school. This kid played QB for a couple of years in my area because he was the best athlete. 6-5 245 and the recruiting pages have him listed as a TE but he did a lot of damage at DE. A friend of the family told me that's where they think he'll end up at Maryland.

I think KC was probably a good offensive coordinator and QB coach but with no spring and with Franklin forcing KC to mesh his offense into the existing offense with a really tough preparation period, it was a no win situation. If we would have had a proper year of prep I believe the results would have been positive.

I am not making excuses, just a crappy year to make such a switch. Set everyone and the program back. Now onto Yurcich, I think this guy is a great get, I think it is who Franklin has had at the top of his board for a long time. When he finally had the chance to make it happen he had to go for it. Hopefully we will have as normal of a spring, summer as possible to properly install Yurcich’s offense and for him to work with the QBs hand in hand. Fields raved over how much he meant to him developing into a QB who could stand in the pocket and be a quarterback. I do think we have talent in the room and it is experienced, I also think this will open us up to better QB recruits out of high school and from the portal. I am expecting if things can be somewhat normal in preparation of 2021 that Yurcich will have a very big impact on what our offense looks like and how our QBs develop.
Agree that Yurcich has been at the top of Franklin's list for some time and he has a profile that may open the door to higher rated QB recruits down the road.
I question what evidence you (or anyone )have that "Franklin forced KC to mesh his offense into the existing offense." That has been a myth perpetrated by many here and repeated so as to become legend.....I recall when KC was hired, the understanding was that there would be a merging of philosophies. If this was "forced" upon KC, why would he come here? I actually thought he came here of his own free will.

Or it comes down to only one can play most of the time and CJF liked Clifford first and that's how it has stayed.. Many times it's subjective. JoePa picked Blackledge. We won a National Championship with him. Hostetler transferred to WVU, married the coach's daughter, and later won a Super Bowl. Hostetler wasn't getting on the field if he stayed, but that doesn't mean he wasn't good enough to play.

I remember the Blackledge/Hostetler competition well. Actually, was rooting for Jeff to win the job. Joe gave Todd and Jeff equal opportunities to win the job early in the season However, Hostetler was benched after making a couple bad turnovers early in a game and the rest is history. Joe’s choice of Blackledge was in large part based upon on-field performance rather than subjectivity. Your observation that it turned out Hostetler could play is correct; however, it is equally true that the fact that Levis has a gun for an arm doesn’t mean he can be a successful QB.

Reactions: marshall23
Agree that Yurcich has been at the top of Franklin's list for some time and he has a profile that may open the door to higher rated QB recruits down the road.
I question what evidence you (or anyone )have that "Franklin forced KC to mesh his offense into the existing offense." That has been a myth perpetrated by many here and repeated so as to become legend.....I recall when KC was hired, the understanding was that there would be a merging of philosophies. If this was "forced" upon KC, why would he come here? I actually thought he came here of his own free will.

Come on you know the drill by now blame everything that doesn’t work on Franklin and give credit to everyone else for things that do.

Reactions: marshall23
Come on you know the drill by now blame everything that doesn’t work on Franklin and give credit to everyone else for things that do.
Yes it's very obvious. But boy do folks hate when you point it out. LOL WE always deserve better......

Yeah, I realize there is an ignore feature.

I prefer to keep posters who have some experience and perhaps interesting things to say. But you've gotten carried away.

Keep posting but get over yourself.
I'm 70 and not likely to change. Even less likely to take advice from you.
I think we still need an upgrade at QB for Clifford and Levis..
I think we need an upgrade at many positions.

Reactions: blair10
Were they returned for TD’s or did the offense have to actually score them?
Oh, I must be mistaken. Will Levis was 6-11 for 57 yards and a killer interception...and added 11 key yards on 6 carries. That stirring come back led by Levis and the offense netted 23 yards on about 10 plays to score PSUs final 10 points.
But yes, you are correct.....it was the offense that saved the day....LOL

Reactions: grinagrin
Didn’t Hackenberg say that Zettel had the best arm on the team? Zettel also had some story where he went to the batting cages for fun and threw a few pitches—in the 90s. Not bad for a DT.
Another example of Franklin's poor coaching. Zettel obviously should have been the QB and Hack the DT. You can't teach arm strength.

Yeah, I realize there is an ignore feature.

I prefer to keep posters who have some experience and perhaps interesting things to say. But you've gotten carried away.

Keep posting but get over yourself.
There are at least 2 dozen posters here with more experience than I have. Ignore me and listen to their wisdom.

I keep reading how QBs with strong arms (that flop) are a dime a dozen. Guess what, kids with weak arms don’t ever become studs. This kid has the building blocks to be a stud. It’s up to him and coaching to make that a reality. No one’s future is set in stone. How about we all wait and see before opining on his success or failure?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT