ADVERTISEMENT

Will Henckel commits to Penn State!

@dicemen99 spreadsheet is going to be entirely blue. He’ll have to replace the blue toner cartridge soon
Eight weight classes covered by the class of 2024 and four more by the class of 2025 ... so far. 13 wrestlers total. The only weight class not covered is 174, but I have to believe one of Facundo, Haines, Messenbrink, Sealey, Cunningham, Ryder or Henkel will be there.

I follow high school wrestling all the time I have never heard of this guy and it’s not a comment it’s the truth

Then you must not follow high school wrestling. Don't comment stuff like this on a kids commitment post. He's 5th on Willie's Big Board and 8th on Flowrestling's.
Pretty sure Crusher knows his shit when it comes to PA highschool wrestling. He may not be a national scene guy and visit all the national sites like many of us do.

Then you must not follow high school wrestling. Don't comment stuff like this on a kids commitment post. He's 5th on Willie's Big Board and 8th on Flowrestling's.
Crusher's post, while perhaps a bit narrow, was not stated in a derogatory manner. Sometimes a remark is really just a remark; no need to read anything more into it.

That said, I am quite surprised (pleasantly) with this news about Henckel. Hadn't heard that he was seriously considering PSU, especially since he projects around 165, which seems to become a rather crowded weight class (Sealey, Mesenbrink, maybe Haines).

Last edited:
Well with SVN out, maybe 170 isn't worth speculating about. Until say 2026?

This 2025 class ain't done yet and it's just getting plain scary. Welcome aboard Will, there is simply no better place on earth.

Young bucks, who???

He's another middle weight, right? This is a great get, but with Levi and Mesenbrink and Facundo and Sealey and PJ Duke and Ryder and Asher, the room is going to be REALLY crowded in those middle weights. It may actually get to the point where PSU JV is really a top 5 team in the country. LOL.

Reactions: creamery freak
He's another middle weight, right? This is a great get, but with Levi and Mesenbrink and Facundo and Sealey and PJ Duke and Ryder and Asher, the room is going to be REALLY crowded in those middle weights. It may actually get to the point where PSU JV is really a top 5 team in the country. LOL.
Said it many times but the biggest way the portal benefits PSU is the top kids aren't afraid of entering the jam. Doesn't work out? No problem, you learned a lot and can go elsewhere.

Class of 2025 PJ Duke expects to go at 157 (his words). Maybe he can get in a season or two at 149 before moving to 157, dunno.

Class of 2024 Sealey seems like a 165.

How long can Haines hold 157? Two more seasons after 2023-24; still has a RS available.

Mesenbrink now going at 165, but "looks" like he could make 157 if needed. Don't believe he has any more redshirts at hand.

Now add Class of 2025 Henckel into the mix at 165, wow.

Guessing that Facundo (three more seasons available) and Class of 2025 Cunningham grow/move into 174, where Class of 2024 Ryder might be.

Assuming that Class of 2023 (current true freshman) Barr will be at 184.

Too lazy to try to figure out how this might play out, but the biggest logjam appears to be 165, a bit less so at 157 and 174. But yeah, those three weights are getting crowded.

Things have an interesting way of working themselves out (unfortunate circumstances sometimes). Tyler Kasak looked like would need a greyshirt, RS or ORS then RS before he sees the lineup. No he's going as a true freshman.

Haines thought he would be a 174/184 after his junior year (he was growing 20 pounds every year at the time and was already at 157) and then he suddenly stops growing.

Yes, somebody is going to be the odd man out but none of these kids think with Cael's coaching and the partners that it's going to be them and if they are, they know in the back of their mind it's okay also.

Reactions: Lyons212
This is pretty crazy. I had no idea he was in the mix…not that I should obviously. So many top kids coming it’s going to be a dogfight to make the team at the middleweights

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
How does this compare to Gable’s coaching years? Did they have an embarrassment of recruiting riches like this?

PS - As we all know, recruiting riches are fine, but coaching up the talent to reach their potential is what makes a coach great. See tOSU. One could argue, and I will, that these next few recruiting classes are the first appearance of true recruiting riches. Cael has done very well in recent history but not across the board and with such depth like this (and more to come).

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
This is pretty crazy. I had no idea he was in the mix…not that I should obviously. So many top kids coming it’s going to be a dogfight to make the team at the middleweights
Yeah, it’s nuts. It’s like these kids are recruiting themselves into the room just to be in the best room in the world and then take their chances on getting a roster spot (knowing, like McScoreley said, that they can always portal somewhere/anywhere else later for a starting spot if necessary). Henckel, Desmond, Duke, and even Mesenbrink are not guys PSU needed given the talent already in the pipeline, but they’re sure nice to have in the mix.

It’s so weird to think that Brooks & Starocci are going to leave and the logjam is only going to get worse.

Is Big Board all weights all classes or all weights class of 2025?

Last edited:
Can anybody provide an update on his résumé, matches against other top guys, freestyle results, etc.? Thanks.

Yeah, it’s nuts. It’s like these kids are recruiting themselves into the room just to be in the best room in the world and then take their chances on getting a roster spot (knowing, like McScoreley said, that they can always portal somewhere/anywhere else later for a starting spot if necessary). Henckel, Desmond, Duke, and even Mesenbrink are not guys PSU needed given the talent already in the pipeline, but they’re sure nice to have in the mix.

It’s so weird to think that Brooks & Starocci are going to leave and the logjam is only going to get worse.
Makes me wonder if the opportunity to become part of NLWC RTC is becoming more important to recruits than actually wrestling a lot of folkstyle matches with the PSWC. The pinnacle in the sport is the Olympics/Worlds and where better to prepare for that than State College? It would be interesting to hear what these recruits coming into a crowded (with talent) room have to say was their deciding factor (knowing that they probably have more than one).

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if the opportunity to become part of NLWC RTC is becoming more important to recruits than actually wrestling a lot folkstyle matches with the PSWC. The pinnacle in the sport is the Olympics/Worlds and where better to prepare for that than State College? It would be interesting to hear what these recruits coming into a crowded (with talent) room have to say was their deciding factor (knowing that they probably have more than one).
It does look like PSU has a relatively bigger advantage with the kids with haughty freestyle resumes, so there may be something to that.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Blair Academy. 2023 Beast Champ, where he Tech’d Central Dauphin’s Garrick (twice a PIAA AAA runner-up) in the finals. Has a dub over Sealey at WNO.
He beat Sealey in free at junior trials last year before losing to Garvin (who would get smacked by Mesenbrink) He lost to Sealey in folk at WNO. 2nd at Fargo last year as well losing to Braeden Scoles. Just placed 5th at that ridiculous Ironman bracket (lost in TBs to Birden, who has beaten Sealey before as well in folk and then 3-1 to Lockett)

I was still writing and researching and posted some and lost the rest. But I was doing it all from google so someone that knows more should post his resume.

Makes me wonder if the opportunity to become part of NLWC RTC is becoming more important to recruits than actually wrestling a lot folkstyle matches with the PSWC. The pinnacle in the sport is the Olympics/Worlds and where better to prepare for that than State College? It would be interesting to hear what these recruits coming into a crowded (with talent) room have to say was their deciding factor (knowing that they probably have more than one).
I believe most of these recruits have explicitly stated Olympic aspirations (witness all the PSU recruits still in high school at the recent senior nationals). The NLWC is most certainly dominating the USA team at this point and having exceptional results on the international stage. So in answer to your question, the NLWC is probably at least as important as NCAA competition to most and more important to some. Smart kids, btw.

Reactions: Zukovski and zzs006
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT