ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

Bold choice to promote your brand new wrestling room with shoeprints all over the mats. And maybe spring for the LED lights if you're gonna paint everything black?
Not to worry. It will look better in person, when the wrestlers are wearing their matching robes:

Grim%20Reaper%20S2-900x1140.jpg

If Zain continues to compete after this Olympics I believe it will be at 70 kg. Hopefully he continues to compete, and maybe he follows Nico's, path of pursuing his business career and wrestling career at the same time.

Reactions: creamery freak
They will come to regret that design.

The weight room of the gym at work is similar to this facility (albeit smaller and without the tunnel) -- modernist design, exposed ceiling, cavernous feeling, and the colors are dark on dark. After the novelty wore off, it's depressing. On those days when you need a little spark, it sucks the motivation right out of you.

At least the cardio room in my gym has windows, and the yoga studio is well lit with light-colored wood floors. (But you can't see either from the weight room.)

The weight room of the gym at work is similar to this facility (albeit smaller and without the tunnel) -- modernist design, exposed ceiling, cavernous feeling, and the colors are dark on dark. After the novelty wore off, it's depressing. On those days when you need a little spark, it sucks the motivation right out of you.

At least the cardio room in my gym has windows, and the yoga studio is well lit with light-colored wood floors. (But you can't see either from the weight room.)
Seriously. My mood flagged a little bit just flipping through the photos. All that money to build a cave.
Row Rower GIF by CrossFit TurnPoint

These are early pictures though, and only one directional view of the wrestling room. I imagine (hope for their sake) the finished product, with lighting, colors etc, will look significantly different than what is showing now

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

I guess I misunderstood. I thought the "tunnel" was just to connect the new wrestling facilities to Carver-Hawkeye. I didn't know the wrestling room would be in a cave too :oops:

I like how light and bright the PSU Lorenzo facilities are, but was envious of some of the newer competitors facilities that had windows and were very airy looking (I can't remember where I saw that). Never dreamed that Iowa's new facility would look like a dungeon. Matches their wrestling style

Pink would be so Iowa.

I like how light and bright the PSU Lorenzo facilities are, but was envious of some of the newer competitors facilities that had windows and were very airy looking (I can't remember where I saw that). Never dreamed that Iowa's new facility would look like a dungeon. Matches their wrestling style
Not just "a dungeon" -- but The Dungeon. Why didn't I think of this sooner? It's a great bar in the French Quarter, just off Bourbon St.

69837_1172_03_7587a1a3-5056-b365-abd8020741d1a0a5.jpg

Haven't been there in forever but loved that place. It opens late. It's not on the street, so you have to enter thru ... a tunnel!

It's dark and creepy. First floor is more horror goth, skeletons, cobwebs, etc. Second floor is more biker S&M club themed. The softest song they played was Radar Love.

Here's the inspiration for The Tunnel:

l.jpg

Well, here are some pics of the "tunnel" at frames 4 and 6.

A picture over on GIA (practice room only) looked pretty good, nothing like these dark ones. Went back and saw it was a "rendering," so I assume they're still working on it. What you show here does make it look dungeon-like, especially when I'm used to seeing the brightly lit dodgeball funhouse behind all those Lion interviews.

Above the Hawkeye logo and “wrestling room” in the middle of the main room: “Bob and Kathy Nicolls”

Just to remind the Brands Boys who makes the big decisions.

That’s a lot of retained security deposits
Iowa did Nicolls dirty by putting it up so high, in such a dreary room. Probably nobody will see it unless it's pointed out to them.

Not as dirty as he does to single moms though.

Iowa did Nicolls dirty by putting it up so high, in such a dreary room. Probably nobody will see it unless it's pointed out to them.

Not as dirty as he does to single moms though.
Will AJ be in the first video of a live workout there? He may be a 998# deadlift guy once Treigning gets ahold of him.

Reactions: jtothemfp
The newly unveiled Hawkeye wrestling room is the best Brutalist architecture I've seen since the 60's and 70's. Matches their style perfectly. Hand fighting, pushing, and the claw ride on top. Also a style from the past :p

Reactions: baccafarmer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT