ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

200w.gif

Wrestlehistory: Gorgeous George​

By MrHyde_ on Sep 6, 2022, 2:30pm EDT +
Gorgeous_George_robe.0.0.0.jpg

 TWEET SHARE PIN
Heyyoooo Cageside Seats! It's me again, Mr. Hyde, with another installment of Wrestlehistory! I thank you so much for the great feedback on my first article, which you can check out here. Based off the comments, as well as my own selfish interests, this time I want to look back on one of the most legendary performers in, not just wrestling, but entertainment history.
Gorgeous George
As a wrestling fan, I am obsessed with "firsts" trivia. Who first used the superkick? Who invented the piledriver? That kind of thing. Gorgeous George was the king of firsts. But there's more to his legacy than that. It's one thing to be a say, Jake Roberts, and invent the DDT. It's another to completely change people's ideas of what professional wrestling could be and how it's presented. One man did that. (Spoiler: It was Gorgeous George.)
Okay, this isn't a Triple H promo, so enough rambling. As always, hop in your time machine of choice, and let's go back. Back to.....1915!
(Insert Timey Wimey CGI)
That's the year George Wagner was born in Butte, Nebraska. After moving several times, George and his family ended up in Houston, Texas by the time he was 7. Growing up, George would stage matches amongst his friends for fun. (Not exactly backyard wrestling, but the love and fun of it were the same.)

Wrestlehistory: Gorgeous George​

By MrHyde_ on Sep 6, 2022, 2:30pm EDT +
Gorgeous_George_robe.0.0.0.jpg

 TWEET SHARE PIN
Heyyoooo Cageside Seats! It's me again, Mr. Hyde, with another installment of Wrestlehistory! I thank you so much for the great feedback on my first article, which you can check out here. Based off the comments, as well as my own selfish interests, this time I want to look back on one of the most legendary performers in, not just wrestling, but entertainment history.
Gorgeous George
As a wrestling fan, I am obsessed with "firsts" trivia. Who first used the superkick? Who invented the piledriver? That kind of thing. Gorgeous George was the king of firsts. But there's more to his legacy than that. It's one thing to be a say, Jake Roberts, and invent the DDT. It's another to completely change people's ideas of what professional wrestling could be and how it's presented. One man did that. (Spoiler: It was Gorgeous George.)
Okay, this isn't a Triple H promo, so enough rambling. As always, hop in your time machine of choice, and let's go back. Back to.....1915!
(Insert Timey Wimey CGI)
That's the year George Wagner was born in Butte, Nebraska. After moving several times, George and his family ended up in Houston, Texas by the time he was 7. Growing up, George would stage matches amongst his friends for fun. (Not exactly backyard wrestling, but the love and fun of it were the same.)
Are you human?

Awesome kid, I can't wait for this season to watch him 1 year better.

Maybe the subject was off limits, but zero questions about him vs Mitchell in the room, weight classes next season, ...? Put some meat on that bone Flo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bosox2004
Probably one of, if not l, the best most comfortable interviews of a young athlete that I've seen. He appears to have jumped levels since NCAAs.

Also kudos to the interviewer for fairly seamless conversational transitions from topic to topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
How? They aren't flo guys. They're college wrestlers.

I still listen to FRL on occasion and they hinted that they have some stake in CoC a couple weeks back. Not sure if they own it, provided seed money or what, but they definitely have some sort of relationship with them.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
I still listen to FRL on occasion and they hinted that they have some stake in CoC a couple weeks back. Not sure if they own it, provided seed money or what, but they definitely have some sort of relationship with them.
they don't. not friends at all at this point.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
He finished his first season of college wrestling 27-2. Some of the best wrestlers in the world spent this past weekend raving about the freshman on social media. David Taylor, Haines' mentor and perhaps Penn State's all-time greatest wrestler, wrote that he had "tears in his eyes" watching his protege excel.
That doesn't mean future national titles will come easy. Haines wrestled at 106 pounds his freshman year of high school but has consistently bumped up since then. When Haines committed to Penn State, he told the York Daily Record it was possible he could end up at 174 or 184 pounds in college.
March Madness:How Jarace Walker set record, Houston Cougars fly into Sweet 16
Biglerville's Levi Haines wrestles Sullivan County's Nathan Higley in the 145-pound championship bout at the PIAA Class 2A wrestling championship at the Giant Center in Hershey on Friday, March 12, 2021. Haines won by fall at 2:19.

Competing in heavier weight classes means facing different wrestlers who've potentially been competing at that size for longer. If Haines bumps up to 165 next season, he could run into two-time defending national champion Keegan O'Toole of Missouri.
But those are all hypotheticals. The facts are that Haines has found success at every weight he's competed at. He's rebounded from adversity before. After losing in the state title match his first two seasons in high school, he went undefeated and won that elusive state title as a junior.

He wasn't expected to start this season yet finished second in the country.
After watching Haines surprise people all winter, there's no reason to be surprised by anything the Adams County native does anymore.
Matt Allibone is a sports reporter for GameTimePA. He can be reached at 717-881-8221, mallibone@ydr.com or on Twitter at

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
I suspect a final decision won't be made until November, but Levi certainly didn't give any indication of a 157, 165 tandem. He mentioned with redshirts and stuff they have a lot of options.

It's really hard to guage anything tangible from his comments, but if I was forced to interpret anything, it's a redshirt for Mitch? I hope not.

I suspect a final decision won't be made until November, but Levi certainly didn't give any indication of a 157, 165 tandem. He mentioned with redshirts and stuff they have a lot of options.

It's really hard to guage anything tangible from his comments, but if I was forced to interpret anything, it's a redshirt for Mitch? I hope not.

I want to blugeon Iowa this year. I mean, just straight up murder them, at home, in front of a sold out, Iowa-crazy crowd. I think Messenbrink gives us the best chance to keep them in single digits, points-wise, so for that reason alone I'd like to see him in the lineup.

Reactions: Ski
I want to blugeon Iowa this year. I mean, just straight up murder them, at home, in front of a sold out, Iowa-crazy crowd. I think Messenbrink gives us the best chance to keep them in single digits, points-wise, so for that reason alone I'd like to see him in the lineup.
Don't need Messenbrink in the lineup to keep Iowa under 10. Just need everyone staying off their backs + nobody gets Carvered.

Those last 4 weights ...

bambi-bambi-meets-godzilla.gif

In the article they talk about people qualified for Olympic Red Shirts based on top three NCAA finish. They list a bunch, cut and paste won’t work for some reason. But skip over Carter Starocci.

From PSU they list Beau, Shayne, Levi, Aaron and Greg.

Reactions: hlstone

Wrestling: USA’s Steveson upsets Rio champion Akgul as Dake crashes out​

• Steveson upsets Rio Games champion Akgul in quarter-final tie
  • US star Dake stunned by Kadzimahamedau in 74kg quarter-final
  • Kaladzinskaya surprises medal favorite Vinesh Phogat of India

Guardian sport and agencies
Thu 5 Aug 2021 04.27 EDT

Gable Steveson stunned Rio Games champion Taha Akgul of Turkey in the quarter-finals of the men’s freestyle super heavyweight category on Thursday, the US wrestler advancing with an 8-0 victory.
Steveson led 2-0 at the end of the first period with a takedown. He went 4-0 up after the break with a double leg takedown before moving further ahead with two more points-scoring moves.

Akgul made no effort to claw back the deficit as the clock ticked down as Steveson jogged around the mat in the final seconds knowing victory was in the bag.
The 21-year-old American has yet to concede a point in Tokyo having beaten former Asian champion Aiaal Lazarev of Kyrgyzstan with a 10-0 victory by technical superiority after five takedowns in the first period.
Steveson’s compatriot Kyle Dake did not fare so well, losing 11-0 in the freestyle welterweight quarter-finals to Belarusian Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau.
Kadzimahamedau led 9-0 at the break and wrapped up the bout in the second period with a takedown to set up a semi-final with Italy’s Frank Chamizo, a two-time world champion and Rio bronze medallist.
It was a stunning upset for Dake, the four-time NCAA champion from Cornell University who ended Jordan Burroughs’ decade of dominance in American wrestling at the US Olympic trials.
Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau v Kyle Dake

Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau of Belarus dominated Kyle Dake of the United States in a major surprise. Photograph: Piroschka van de Wouw/Reuters
Russian Zaurbek Sidakov and Daniyar Kaisanov of Kazakhstan will compete in the second semi-final.

Wrestling: USA’s Steveson upsets Rio champion Akgul as Dake crashes out​

• Steveson upsets Rio Games champion Akgul in quarter-final tie
  • US star Dake stunned by Kadzimahamedau in 74kg quarter-final
  • Kaladzinskaya surprises medal favorite Vinesh Phogat of India

Guardian sport and agencies
Thu 5 Aug 2021 04.27 EDT

Gable Steveson stunned Rio Games champion Taha Akgul of Turkey in the quarter-finals of the men’s freestyle super heavyweight category on Thursday, the US wrestler advancing with an 8-0 victory.
Steveson led 2-0 at the end of the first period with a takedown. He went 4-0 up after the break with a double leg takedown before moving further ahead with two more points-scoring moves.

Akgul made no effort to claw back the deficit as the clock ticked down as Steveson jogged around the mat in the final seconds knowing victory was in the bag.
The 21-year-old American has yet to concede a point in Tokyo having beaten former Asian champion Aiaal Lazarev of Kyrgyzstan with a 10-0 victory by technical superiority after five takedowns in the first period.
Steveson’s compatriot Kyle Dake did not fare so well, losing 11-0 in the freestyle welterweight quarter-finals to Belarusian Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau.
Kadzimahamedau led 9-0 at the break and wrapped up the bout in the second period with a takedown to set up a semi-final with Italy’s Frank Chamizo, a two-time world champion and Rio bronze medallist.
It was a stunning upset for Dake, the four-time NCAA champion from Cornell University who ended Jordan Burroughs’ decade of dominance in American wrestling at the US Olympic trials.
Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau v Kyle Dake

Mahamedkhabib Kadzimahamedau of Belarus dominated Kyle Dake of the United States in a major surprise. Photograph: Piroschka van de Wouw/Reuters
Russian Zaurbek Sidakov and Daniyar Kaisanov of Kazakhstan will compete in the second semi-final.
Jerot, here is a link you can use for the latest in VCR repair

Penn State Wrestling: Top 10 Nittany Lions of All-Time​

by Chris Snyder2 years ago

NEXT7 of 10PREV
Use your ← → (arrows) to browse
Penn State Wrestling

No. 4​

Ed Ruth
Career Record: 136-3
B1G Titles: 4 (2011-2014)
NCAA Titles: 3 (2012-2014)
All-American: 4 (2011-2014)

Awards
-2012 Dan Hodge Trophy Finalist
-2013 Dan Hodge Trophy Finalist
-2014 Dan Hodge Trophy Finalist

How on earth do you rank a top 5 list of wrestlers who’ve compiled total records of 633-15??
Nolf was only slotted at No. 5 due to an unlucky injury his junior season. If not for this, he could have also been a 3 time B1G Title winner and a 3 time Hodge Trophy finalist.
But Nolf did get injured his junior season and he didn’t achieve the same things as Ed Ruth.
For a wrestler as decorated as Ed Ruth, this beginning has to be one of the worst ones ever written as I’m blabbing about another wrestler and his injury. Ruth’s collegiate career can do the talking for itself.
Only two other wrestlers on this entire list won B1G Titles their freshman year (Nickal and Taylor) and Ruth was able to pull off the incredible feat as well. Ed lost an early round match in the 2011 NCAA’s but ultimately finished 3rd in his first NCAA Tournament. His Penn State career was off to a fantastic start.

Not the most popular measure, but give me career bonus %, as where I put the most weight at least for a tie breaker.

Unfortunately even the biggest prize, national titles, doesn't accurately reflect the whole story.

Yanni misses my top 10 NCAA wide as an example, despite being a 4xer.

Pins, Bonus rate and Hodges matter, as they should. Jason pinned in over 50% of his matches. Think about that. The knee injury 'might' have cost him the hodge.

It's for this reason that even with 4 titles (potentially), Aaron and Carter, will probably fall below Ed, Bo, Jason, Zain and DT on my list.

Here's to hoping both of them bonus out this year and prove me wrong.

Reactions: hlstone

Penn State Wrestling: Top 10 Nittany Lions of All-Time​

by Chris Snyder2 years ago

NEXT7 of 10PREV
Use your ← → (arrows) to browse
Penn State Wrestling

No. 4​

Ed Ruth
Career Record: 136-3
B1G Titles: 4 (2011-2014)
NCAA Titles: 3 (2012-2014)
All-American: 4 (2011-2014)

Awards
-2012 Dan Hodge Trophy Finalist
-2013 Dan Hodge Trophy Finalist
-2014 Dan Hodge Trophy Finalist

How on earth do you rank a top 5 list of wrestlers who’ve compiled total records of 633-15??
Nolf was only slotted at No. 5 due to an unlucky injury his junior season. If not for this, he could have also been a 3 time B1G Title winner and a 3 time Hodge Trophy finalist.
But Nolf did get injured his junior season and he didn’t achieve the same things as Ed Ruth.
For a wrestler as decorated as Ed Ruth, this beginning has to be one of the worst ones ever written as I’m blabbing about another wrestler and his injury. Ruth’s collegiate career can do the talking for itself.
Only two other wrestlers on this entire list won B1G Titles their freshman year (Nickal and Taylor) and Ruth was able to pull off the incredible feat as well. Ed lost an early round match in the 2011 NCAA’s but ultimately finished 3rd in his first NCAA Tournament. His Penn State career was off to a fantastic start.
Another random article from years ago?

4325aff0-0bd6-4bf2-8cae-96691be24a50_text.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT