ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

"No disrespect, but..." sounds a lot like "I'm not a racist, but...." Again, the guy makes it pretty easy to dislike. Can't understand how someone so successful can be such a sore loser. It's like he's blaming Win for how his peers voted (and not ignoring the clear criteria for the award).

"not to be a jerk, but ... your kid's pretty ugly"

One of the worst structured phrases in our language: the fallacy that some soft prelude negates the ensuing douchery.

And at this point, I'm sincerely hoping that somebody inside tOSU Wrestling gets in his ear and leads him...away from this nonsense. That proud program--that he largely built!--doesn't deserve to be dragged through the mud like this by him.

"No disrespect, but..." sounds a lot like "I'm not a racist, but...." Again, the guy makes it pretty easy to dislike. Can't understand how someone so successful can be such a sore loser. It's like he's blaming Win for how his peers voted (and not ignoring the clear criteria for the award).
You'd think that even TaTo would be aware of the Hodge criteria by now. Guess not.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Well, this isn't the Heisman trophy. The Hodge Award relies on actual "criteria". Someone remind Tom what those are:

The trophy is awarded based on seven criteria: 1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

So where does Snyder warrant the award over Zain, or any of the others that were ranked above him?

1. Record? Snyder 17-1, Zain 31-0.
2. Pins? Snyder 4, Zain 17.

Stop.

I think everyone realizes what Captain America has done for OSU and USA wrestling. He is an Olympic and World Champion, and is a great representative of both. That isn't what this is about.

So not meaning any disrespect to the OSU coach, but ... stop being such a dbag.

In defense, and as Doug Schwab always says, "Of course we're always going to fight for our guys first."

I don't find Ryan's comments objectionable, given that.

In defense, and as Doug Schwab always says, "Of course we're always going to fight for our guys first."

no disrespect, but that's just foolish. ;)

I doubt anyone would object to ANY coach promoting or fighting for their guy. However, it's the approach the coach takes that makes a difference. Promote your guy, or point out their accomplishments, and let that speak for itself. Leave it at that, and nobody has a problem.

Do the aforementioned, but combine it with a shot at somebody, some organization, some voters, etc., and what you're really doing is degrading somebody/some group.

If you can't promote your guy without taking the step of putting down somebody, then you'd be best served to keep your mouth shut/your fingers off the keyboard.

Do the aforementioned, but combine it with a shot at somebody, some organization, some voters, etc., and what you're really doing is degrading somebody/some group.

If you can't promote your guy without taking the step of putting down somebody, then you'd be best served to keep your mouth shut/your fingers off the keyboard.
I'm not the sharpest blade in the drawer, so perhaps I've missed something, but where in this statement has Ryan degraded or put down another individual?
"No disrespect, but the @WINWrestlingMag Hodge Trophy
1f3c6.png
not having @Snyder_man45 name on it is bad for its value. Won 3 NCAA titles weighing 225 pounds. Was outweighed in the 3 finals a combined 150 pounds. Olympic Gold, 2x World Gold. No college wrestler won a match at Worlds."

I'm not the sharpest blade in the drawer, so perhaps I've missed something, but where in this statement has Ryan degraded or put down another individual?

did somebody else win the award? (since you're the self-proclaimed "not the sharpest blade in the drawer," the answer to that question is Yes)

as somebody else won the award, then Ryan's statement is an implied put-down/degradation of the winner.

you could argue that I'm inferring that, and that Ryan never implied what I'm claiming. in a literal sense you would be correct, but you'd sound like a politician or an attorney that was arguing over semantics. plus, I would argue that you are incorrect, and then we'd be in an endless loop.

also, please take note that in my post that you quoted, I was careful to indicate "a shot at somebody, some organization, some voters, etc." I did not include that entire description in the following paragraph (the one that you quoted), as it seemed unnecessary to repeat it. My shortened version in what you quoted was a representation of the combined statement.

1f3c6.png
not having @Snyder_man45 name on it is bad for its value. Won 3 NCAA titles weighing 225 pounds. Was outweighed in the 3 finals a combined 150 pounds. Olympic Gold, 2x World Gold. No college wrestler won a match at Worlds."
How is it a "fight" when the votes are counted and the award is given out? It's just sour grapes, and I bet ones not shared by the wrestler himself. He's very keenly implying that Snyder's name is worth more than the opinion of the voters, the recipient(s) of the award, and the organization that gives out the award.

At the end of the day, I'm sure the thinks he's just being loyal to his guys, but I also think he believes his media tactics are FAR more effective than they actually are. I agree--he should take some PR/marketing classes, or step back from the tweet-machine.

1f3c6.png
By implication, one of the other finalists whom he lacked the courage to name, like a dime-a-dozen sports talk show caller boldly blasting the league over an all-star team snub without naming who he'd demote.

Is it any wonder that Cael Sanderson has won 7 of the past 8 NCAA Team titles and Tom Ryan is consistently vying for "first loser"? What a buffoon.

Zain = 94 match win streak, 97.7 career winning percentage and a 74.62% career bonus rate.

Snyder = 10 match winning streak, 93.75 winning percentage, and a career bonus rate of 62.50.

Just shut up already Ryan, you fool. Your lack of professionalism and scummy recruiting tactics (see: Spencer Lee) are the reason you're playing second fiddle.

Starting his comment with "no disrespect" confirms that Tom Ryan understands what he's about to write will indeed disrespect the Hodge winner, the other finalists, and/or the selection committee - all of whom he slanders by implication. But he doesn't care, because his bird brain simply must brag up his kid, no matter whom he offends.

If it wasn't so pathetic and moronic, it would almost be funny. But, it is pathetic and moronic, so it's not very funny.

Some things never change

Check out @Buckeye158’s Tweet:
"No disrespect, but," then dispensing disrespect reminds me of a prim and proper Southern lady dishing a line of rumors, insults or character assassination about someone, then saying "God bless her" as if that negates the ugliness. (ie. She's bucktoothed, smells like cabbage and can't cook to save her life, God bless her.)
Kyle Snyder is a tremendous wrestler, but his COLLEGE career, stats, and all-position dominance doesn't hold a candle to Zain's. You're embarrassing your wrestler, Tom Ryan. Just stop.

"No disrespect, but," then dispensing disrespect reminds me of a prim and proper Southern lady dishing a line of rumors, insults or character assassination about someone, then saying "God bless her" as if that negates the ugliness. (ie. She's bucktoothed, smells like cabbage and can't cook to save her life, God bless her.)
Kyle Snyder is a tremendous wrestler, but his COLLEGE career, stats, and all-position dominance doesn't hold a candle to Zain's. You're embarrassing your wrestler, Tom Ryan. Just stop.
Exactly - like “ Bless her heart”.

Before he tweets, the God-fearing Ryan should ask himself - What would Jesus do?

Ryan is guilty of coveting thy Neighbor’s Hodge trophy. That’s not very Christian of him

yep. only furthered my lack of respect for ryan, which wasn't very much to begin with. guy continues to show himself as a true ass.

How is it a "fight" when the votes are counted and the award is given out? It's just sour grapes, and I bet ones not shared by the wrestler himself. He's very keenly implying that Snyder's name is worth more than the opinion of the voters, the recipient(s) of the award, and the organization that gives out the award.

At the end of the day, I'm sure the thinks he's just being loyal to his guys, but I also think he believes his media tactics are FAR more effective than they actually are. I agree--he should take some PR/marketing classes, or step back from the tweet-machine.
apparently the aruba trip hasn't helped his inferiority complex.

Reactions: diggerpup
Oh, gawd. Nothing will tear PSUWr Internet apart faster than politics.
The whole point is that counting is counting, regardless of who is being counted and who is doing the counting! There should be no politics when the Hodge criteria are crystal clear, just as there should be no politics when counting the number of people. In other words, the photo is NOT politics and should NOT be politics. Counting is not subjective. Ryan is inserting subjectivity into the wrong thing in the wrong way at the wrong time.

Last edited:
The whole point is that counting is counting, regardless of who is counting and who is doing the counting! There should be no politics when the Hodge criteria are crystal clear, just as there should be no politics when counting the number of people. In other words, the photo is NOT politics and should NOT be politics. Counting is not subjective. Ryan is inserting subjectivity into the wrong thing in the wrong way at the wrong time.

I get your point, along the objectivity-subjectivity sliding scale. And I also agree that the Hodge's written criteria slide it way closer to the Objective pole and farther from the Subjective pole where Tom Ryan tends to operate. I disagree that it's as far along that scale as #maff or 'counting,' but that's just me being subjective, with a small dose of pedantry.

I just cringed at your chosen pics and all the nasty baggage they could bring along into an otherwise fairly unified discussion about the absurdity of a rival coach's twitter personality.

Since he knows who the winner was when he made the statement then didn't he then name him?
That was kind of my point in my initial reply to Tom McAndrew.

I'm simply just an honest, neutral observer on here, with only UNI as my one dog in the fight. If I found Ryan's post outlandish I'd say it, but I simply don't, and I find the responses to his very benign post to be stronger than his post "fighting for his guy."

Ban, I think you are using the wrong quote to prove your point. To prove your point, you needed the Dough Schwab quote that says:

"Of course, for our guys, we're always going to say rude, non-sensical things that ignore plain truth and that people will look down upon us for."

[Edit: Or, the Schwab quote that says: "Of course, for our guys, we're always going to start a dumb fight that we cannot possibly win, and then lose that fight."]

:)

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
The only surprising thing to me is that it took TaTo this long to put his foot in his mouth on the Hodge. The outcome doesn’t fit his very vocal narrative about who the collegiate GOAT is, so the tweet was inevitable.

It does seem like the guy struggles to differentiate between his inside and outside voice. What’s that condition that makes you involuntarily blurt out ... oh, nevermind.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
The ONLY argument that I could see TaTo possibly having as far as Kyle being on the ballot is with Gross. Yeah, Gross had a loss also, but it was up at 141 against #1 at the time, by his own will(just like Snyder wrestled HVW by his own will, for 3 years, not one match). I personally wouldn't consider that. But Gross had a better record(far more wins) this year and more pins. They are the 1st two criteria I believe.

A couple of years ago Zain probably should have won the Hodge over Deiringer, based on the criteria. What did we hear from Cael? Not a peep. TaTo needs stir his Aruban Margarita with his fingers and keep them away from his Twitter. Not a good look.

Last edited:
No disrespect, but the @WINWrestlingMag Hodge Trophy
1f3c6.png
not having @Snyder_man45 name on it is bad for its value.

My take on this is that Ryan was complaining/ criticizing WIN and the Hodge committee for all 3 years of of not putting Snyder's name on their trophy.........that it has less value from not having his name on it. Challenging the award committee's rules/decisions is NOT a good look by Ryan........besides......he was out of bricks :)

Reactions: Brian LB-U
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT