ADVERTISEMENT

Why not kneel it, when up 9, going for PAT, under 4:00?

CaryPSU

Jul 30, 2012
I have found myself wondering this, from watching football, this weekend.
Team A, up 23-20 drives the field, and gets a TD, to go up 29-20 on team B, with 4-5 minutes left.
Team A then proceeds to kick PAT.
I know there is an infintesimal chance of the PAT being blocked/botched, and team B taking it back for 2 points.
But in kneeling, your still up 2 scores.
Why even attempt the PAT, in this scenario?
Just something I’ve always wondered.

Team A, up 23-20 drives the field, and gets a TD, to go up 29-20 on team B, with 4-5 minutes left.
I know there is an infintesimal chance of the PAT being blocked/botched, and team B taking it back for 2 points.
Why would you take a knee in a game with 4-5 minutes left? That's an eternity with time outs, clock stopping for first downs etc..

10 points wins the game for team B if there is no PAT.
With all the analytics done pregame , I’d guess the risk is not that great of a 2 pt return , or it would be a consideration .

I’d suggest risk of team B having two possessions is higher than team B blocking and returning the kick.

That would be the dumbest choice of three options. Going for two would be smarter. You're fired!

If there is under a minute left, I could possibly understand that. Not with 4 or 5 minutes left though..

Reactions: NittanyBuff24
How about Florida going for two with 2:07 left the other night, still don't get that one. if they kick the extra point they are down 7 with 2 timeouts left. I even went back and listened to the announcers and what they said still didn't make sense to me. I'm assuming the go for 2 card somehow, someway told them to go for it

How about Florida going for two with 2:07 left the other night, still don't get that one. if they kick the extra point they are down 7 with 2 timeouts left. I even went back and listened to the announcers and what they said still didn't make sense to me. I'm assuming the go for 2 card somehow, someway told them to go for it
This one I get and the analytics show you have a better chance to win and avoid ot.
Your chances of going 1/2 on the two 2 pts (assuming you score again) is high enough to take the chance, and gives you the chance to win with an XP if you make the first one.

This one I get and the analytics show you have a better chance to win and avoid ot.
Your chances of going 1/2 on the two 2 pts (assuming you score again) is high enough to take the chance, and gives you the chance to win with an XP if you make the first one.
Ok, I knew there had to be something behind it..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT