ADVERTISEMENT

Why I believe ESPN colluded with the SEC

Beachwineguy

Aug 21, 2008
Florida
www.dperrine.myhst.com
Personally, I believe ESPN colluded with the SEC to get OU and Texas to jump ship from the Big XII. A few years ago, the Big XII was looking to add some members to get to the twelve team minimum to be able to host a conference championship game. They were ready to invite Houston and UCF until ESPN said that they would increase the per school share if they didn’t add more members. They also pressured the NCAA to lift the twelve team requirement, allowing the Big XII to host a championship game.

Now, as ESPN has been bleeding money, I’m sure the Big XII was looking to increase their revenue with their next television contract, but ESPN told them it would be a no-go, but let them (OU and UT) know that if they moved to the SEC, their increase would be considerable. This got OU and UT on the phones with Sankey,.

ESPN also hasn’t been happy about the news that the football playoff wants to expand to twelve teams. ESPN holds the contract for the playoff through 2025, but fans want this change to happen now. If it gets renegotiated, other networks will be able to get a piece of the pie.

Also, the SEC isn’t crazy about expanding to twelve because right now they nearly have a monopoly on it, ensured to get their champion in and many times one additional team. If they expand to twelve, they will probably increase their number to two or three each year, but other conferences (such as the B1G) will be able to get two in also.

I wouldn’t be surprised if news comes out at some point that ESPN had their hand in the pot this whole time.

Personally, I believe ESPN colluded with the SEC to get OU and Texas to jump ship from the Big XII. A few years ago, the Big XII was looking to add some members to get to the twelve team minimum to be able to host a conference championship game. They were ready to invite Houston and UCF until ESPN said that they would increase the per school share if they didn’t add more members. They also pressured the NCAA to lift the twelve team requirement, allowing the Big XII to host a championship game.

Now, as ESPN has been bleeding money, I’m sure the Big XII was looking to increase their revenue with their next television contract, but ESPN told them it would be a no-go, but let them (OU and UT) know that if they moved to the SEC, their increase would be considerable. This got OU and UT on the phones with Sankey,.

ESPN also hasn’t been happy about the news that the football playoff wants to expand to twelve teams. ESPN holds the contract for the playoff through 2025, but fans want this change to happen now. If it gets renegotiated, other networks will be able to get a piece of the pie.

Also, the SEC isn’t crazy about expanding to twelve because right now they nearly have a monopoly on it, ensured to get their champion in and many times one additional team. If they expand to twelve, they will probably increase their number to two or three each year, but other conferences (such as the B1G) will be able to get two in also.

I wouldn’t be surprised if news comes out at some point that ESPN had their hand in the pot this whole time.
The universe is full of idiots who believe stuff just because it fits into what they want to believe. If you don't think there is such a thing as a credible source, you will be left twisting in the wind of your own prejudices.

Reactions: BlueLion
The universe is full of idiots who believe stuff just because it fits into what they want to believe. If you don't think there is such a thing as a credible source, you will be left twisting in the wind of your own prejudices.
And the world is full of idiots who just believe what they’re told. I’m guessing you’re one.

And the world is full of idiots who just believe what they’re told. I’m guessing you’re one.
This is just the usual ludicrous crack pot theory. Zero evidence exists. The only thing you have to go on is your hate for ESPN. Once upon a time these things were just crazy stories told around a fire by your nut job uncle. Now it's on the internet for the whole world to see.

Of course ESPN has a hand in this. It's all about TV money. Nothing new here. ESPN is paying the $160M exit fees for the Sooners and the Longhorns. ESPN owns the SEC Network. Now we will wait and see if Fox doesn't up the ante to keep Penn State in the Big Ten.

Collusion? No, but you can be sure that ESPN has been consulted throughout. They stand to be the big winner. Fox? Let's just say they're thinking long and hard as to whether they want to continue their experiment with college football.

As for TV rights to an expanded playoff, NBC and CBS aren't bidding. Fox might after they sort through the wreckage the pending move of OU and UT causes them.

Reactions: TheGLOV

I have been thinking this as well. For one, the SEC hasn’t been much interested in expanding further for years, then suddenly go for the jugular. Second, could ESPN be worried about Apple TV, Amazon, Google etc getting in on the bidding war for streaming contracts when renegotiations begin? All of whom have the money to compete with Disney.

Did ESPN urge the SEC to add OU and UT before the B1G gets them, and ESPN will then offer a mega watt contract that the SEC has planned to accept?

I know the “rumor mill” says that OU and UT reached out to the SEC. I think it was likely all constructed by ESPN. ESPN doesn’t want to compete with those streaming giants, and they don’t want to lose the SEC contract. The last conference circus started when the B1G took Nebraska, and they would have went after OU/UT this time. Five conferences will be four. The SEC is in a much better place with OU/UT sitting in their conference than in another, and ESPN is in a better place putting “most” of their eggs in the SEC basket.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
I have been thinking this as well. For one, the SEC hasn’t been much interested in expanding further for years, then suddenly go for the jugular. Second, could ESPN be worried about Apple TV, Amazon, Google etc getting in on the bidding war for streaming contracts when renegotiations begin? All of whom have the money to compete with Disney.

Did ESPN urge the SEC to add OU and UT before the B1G gets them, and ESPN will then offer a mega watt contract that the SEC has planned to accept?

I know the “rumor mill” says that OU and UT reached out to the SEC. I think it was likely all constructed by ESPN. They don’t want to lose the SEC contract. The last conference circus started when the B1G took Nebraska, and they would have went after OU/UT this time. The SEC knew this and struck first.
Not only does this help ESPN by getting them out of the Big XII business, but they also get to cast off that failure of an investment, the Longhorn Network.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
This is just the usual ludicrous crack pot theory. Zero evidence exists. The only thing you have to go on is your hate for ESPN. Once upon a time these things were just crazy stories told around a fire by your nut job uncle. Now it's on the internet for the whole world to see.
Who are you, f@ckin’’ Paul Feinbaum? Do you read editorials in the newspaper and go after the writer because you don’t agree with it? The title of this thread is “Why I believe…” I never said it’s a fact. I don’t hate ESPN, but from a business standpoint, this is a best case scenario for them.

Who are you, f@ckin’’ Paul Feinbaum? Do you read editorials in the newspaper and go after the writer because you don’t agree with it? The title of this thread is “Why I believe…” I never said it’s a fact. I don’t hate ESPN, but from a business standpoint, this is a best case scenario for them.
So you came here to share your latest conspiracy theory. Sorry for not praising you like you deserve.
How about ESPN likely has nothing to do with the execution other than being a probable beneficiary as they would be to anything that helps the SEC? The obvious deal is the SEC and everyone had a less than wonderful 2020. At some point the OK and Tex folks got to talking with the right SEC boys and the money couldn’t be refused. The fact is this is a much easier sell to Okies and Texans due to travel than anything the B1G could offer for not much better money. Fans do care about travel

ESPN should be worried about Disney spinning them off. They overpay badly for all of their content and they are betting the farm on a streaming service that has little interest. There is no doubt that other parts of Disney are subsidizing some of ESPN's stuff. If they can't get streaming subscribers way up it just won't be viable anymore

ESPN should be worried about Disney spinning them off. They overpay badly for all of their content and they are betting the farm on a streaming service that has little interest. There is no doubt that other parts of Disney are subsidizing some of ESPN's stuff. If they can't get streaming subscribers way up it just won't be viable anymore
Disney won't be left without sports. They had their chance and tried to sell it instead of Fox Sports during the acquisition of the majority of Rupert's media holdings. They wanted too much and had no takers. Instead they sold Fox Sports to Sinclair as they needed to divest one or the other.

So you came here to share your latest conspiracy theory. Sorry for not praising you like you deserve.
How about ESPN likely has nothing to do with the execution other than being a probable beneficiary as they would be to anything that helps the SEC? The obvious deal is the SEC and everyone had a less than wonderful 2020. At some point the OK and Tex folks got to talking with the right SEC boys and the money couldn’t be refused. The fact is this is a much easier sell to Okies and Texans due to travel than anything the B1G could offer for not much better money. Fans do care about travel
Your conspiracy theory that ESPN had nothing to do with it is just as valid as they did have something to do with it - actually given the financial incentives your theory holds less weight - not sure why you feel otherwise - just dense I guess.

Reactions: bison13

Certainly plausible. ESPN has been losing revenue for a decade (or more). Vested self interest drives many things

Reactions: bison13
Now wait just one minute. Are you saying that a company actively engaged in trying to make more money for the company and their shareholders? You have to be kidding me?

The impetus for all this was Oklahoma doing a 180 on the Big Ten and FOX after the COVID fiasco. Up to that point, they were a roadblock, and Texas wasn't going to jump without them.

Once Oklahoma flipped from holding out for a Big Ten invite to being open to other options, Texas approached them, and convinced them to approach the SEC.

NONE of this would be done without ESPN's blessing. This solves a LOT of problems for ESPN, and as events are now starting to play out, could allow for a PAC 12 exit prior to even the 2025 contract date.

Your conspiracy theory that ESPN had nothing to do with it is just as valid as they did have something to do with it - actually given the financial incentives your theory holds less weight - not sure why you feel otherwise - just dense I guess.
Not really a conspiracy theory if I posit there’s no conspiracy and absolutely stupid that you think a theory with no hard evidence is valid. Show me one person on the inside who claims this is true or a trail of money (not the already contracted money) or a suspicious meeting or something that suggests a conspiracy. Just because ESPN stands to gain, but so do OK, UT and the SEC. The only one butt hurt here is TAMU. Obviously not including the rest of the Big 12 but this was always about $$$. I just don’t get why people need to turn it into something else. The reality is the B1G had better be planning for what’s next

Not really a conspiracy theory if I posit there’s no conspiracy and absolutely stupid that you think a theory with no hard evidence is valid. Show me one person on the inside who claims this is true or a trail of money (not the already contracted money) or a suspicious meeting or something that suggests a conspiracy. Just because ESPN stands to gain, but so do OK, UT and the SEC. The only one butt hurt here is TAMU. Obviously not including the rest of the Big 12 but this was always about $$$. I just don’t get why people need to turn it into something else. The reality is the B1G had better be planning for what’s next
I don’t think it’s a conspiracy but as mentioned if you follow the money trail it usually leads to the truth for most things and I doubt this is an exception. I do think OU and more so UT will struggle in the SEC - even their bottom feeders play better defense than either of those schools but we may to find out.

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy but as mentioned if you follow the money trail it usually leads to the truth for most things and I doubt this is an exception. I do think OU and more so UT will struggle in the SEC - even their bottom feeders play better defense than either of those schools but we may to find out.
But the deal has nothing to do with competition and everything to do with money. UT brings a lot and OK is better than average

But the deal has nothing to do with competition and everything to do with money. UT brings a lot and OK is better than average
Exactly. Both have solid basketball programs also. It will be more of the rich feeding on the rich recruiting grounds that is already happening to begin with. Oklahoma would come out the big winner.

Exactly. Both have solid basketball programs also. It will be more of the rich feeding on the rich recruiting grounds that is already happening to begin with. Oklahoma would come out the big winner.
Yeah it takes a bag of cash to get the football talent to matriculate at OkU

What he seems to be suggesting is ESPN trying to get other Big XII teams to leave the conference so that the conference will collapse, and OU and Texas would get to transfer to the SEC without any financial penalty.

What he seems to be suggesting is ESPN trying to get other Big XII teams to leave the conference so that the conference will collapse, and OU and Texas would get to transfer to the SEC without any financial penalty.
I think it has more to do with ESPN wanting to get out of the Big 12 contract.

I think it has more to do with ESPN wanting out of the Big 12 contract.

I guess ESPN hacks took a break from sexually harassing women around the office to focus on destroying the Big12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT