ADVERTISEMENT

Why are we never involved with 5 star recruits?

NealPaige

Dec 29, 2016
Haven't seen one. Really, is Penn State not involved with the elite any more? I just see 4 stars and below. We used to be in play for the big names like all of the big boys compete.

• Haha
Reactions: NJPSU
Haven't seen one. Really, is Penn State not involved with the elite any more? I just see 4 stars and below. We used to be in play for the big names like all of the big boys compete.
What grade are you in and home many times have you had to repeat it?

Never? Never involved except for the ones that commit to psu. Hackenberg, Parsons, martin, jven Williams, birchmeier, allar, Ricky Slade, Justin shorter, Reynolds, singleton and others.

The reality is there are not too many 5*s and Pennsylvania does not produce many. Everyone wants the 5*s so there is a lot of competition. We are not going head to head with Pitt and wvu.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeR0206 and PSU2UNC

Haven't seen these?

Reynolds was a 5 star in this years class.
Williams 5 star in the 23 class.
Allar, Singleton and Dennis-Sutton in 22.

Best to look at the reranking of classes and check out how well PSU does… now if they can only win the big games!

Our staff is fairly astute at identifying 5 star talent before those players are acknowledged as being elite recruits by the recruiting services.

For a variety of reasons, we have not had much success landing the early identified 'can't miss' recruits. Hopefully we the new staff in place and the expanded playoff system we can qualify and help create a new identity that is more attractive to 5 star high school recruits.

Results matter. And winning on the field against elite competition can only help in our effort to win the recruiting battles for these elite athletes.

Plus, NIL money needs to be used to re-recruit and reward your current players as well attracting new talent from high school as well as the portal.

The original poster was wrong to say that PSU is NEVER involved with 5* recruits but his point is valid.

247 composite rankings and number of 5* vs OSU 5*:

2024 15th, zero 5*, OSU had four 5*
2023 14th, zero 5*, OSU had two 5*
2022 6th, three 5*, OSU had three 5*
2021 21st, zero 5*, OSU had seven 5*
2020 21st, zero 5*, OSU had 3 five *

2022 was the only recent year where PSU signed a 5* prospect (Allar, Singleton, Sutton). It was also the only year we finished with a top 10 team ranking.

Most teams would be happy with PSU's recruiting (average 14th) but it certainly hasn't been elite.

Reactions: WeR0206
There are (32) 5* players each year and not many of them come from the northeast at this point.

Reactions: wilbury and bison13
The original poster was wrong to say that PSU is NEVER involved with 5* recruits but his point is valid.

2022 was the only recent year where PSU signed a 5* prospect (Allar, Singleton, Sutton). It was also the only year we finished with a top 10 team ranking.

Most teams would be happy with PSU's recruiting (average 14th) but it certainly hasn't been elite.

Depends on your rankings. Reynolds was a 5 star on 247. Cousins was a 5 star on on3 in 24.
Williams was a 5 star on on3 and 247 in 23.

Regardless its splitting hairs.

Michigan had no composite 5 stars in 24, 23, or 22. 1 in 21. none in 20.

We need to focus on manifestos.

Depends on your rankings. Reynolds was a 5 star on 247. Cousins was a 5 star on on3 in 24.
Williams was a 5 star on on3 and 247 in 23.

Regardless its splitting hairs.

Michigan had no composite 5 stars in 24, 23, or 22. 1 in 21. none in 20.

We need to focus on manifestos.
I used composite rankings.

I'm not letting Franklin off the hook for his failures against OSU. I think a team with 14th ranked classes should be able to beat a team with 2nd ranked classes every 3rd or 4th year. IMO Franklin has a history of panicking in big games.

That said, I don't think NIL and open portal is helping PSU. I read that OSU has $20 million while PSU has $12 million. That's a huge disadvantage. Just think what Rhoades is up against.

We get it. You ignore stats that dont fit your agenda. PSU's 5*s are not 5*s but OSU's 4*s are 5*s.

How did Aaron Scott get listed as a composite 5* when four different recruiting services all list him as a 4*? Shady math.

If there are 4 recruiting services listing a player and three of them have a player at 4* then dont give us some BS that OSU has all these 5*s

We could say the same about most of OSU's 5*s. In 2024 they had ONE consensus 5*.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I still have you gloves you left behind a while ago after I told you you would never make the 6.

We get it. You ignore stats that dont fit your agenda. PSU's 5*s are not 5*s but OSU's 4*s are 5*s.

How did Aaron Scott get listed as a composite 5* when four different recruiting services all list him as a 4*? Shady math.

If there are 4 recruiting services listing a player and three of them have a player at 4* then dont give us some BS that OSU has all these 5*s

We could say the same about most of OSU's 5*s. In 2024 they had ONE consensus 5*.
Wow! All I did was use the 247 composite numbers yet you accuse me of having a negative bias.

I simply stated that most teams would love our recruiting that has averaged 14th, but it hasn't kept up with the elite teams who now have more NIL money to spend.

You're free to think PSU has recruited as well as the elite teams in the country but most would disagree.

Wow! All I did was use the 247 composite numbers yet you accuse me of having a negative bias.

I simply stated that most teams would love our recruiting that has averaged 14th, but it hasn't kept up with the elite teams who now have more NIL money to spend.

You're free to think PSU has recruited as well as the elite teams in the country but most would disagree.
I did not say that. Psu is recruiting about where they should. We are not alabama, georgia or osu.

Ps. How does Aaron Scott get a composition 5 star when none of the services had him as a 5 star?

I did not say that. Psu is recruiting about where they should. We are not alabama, georgia or osu.

Ps. How does Aaron Scott get a composition 5 star when none of the services had him as a 5 star?
What am I missing on Scott? I went to the 2024 247 Composite ratings and Scott was ranked # 51 overall which is a solid 4-star rating. Where is the 5-star stuff coming from? He also has a very similar 4 star ranking on ON3.

Last edited:
What am I missing on Scott? I went to the 2024 247 Composite ratings and Scott was ranked # 51 overall which is a solid 4-star rating. Where is the 5-star stuff coming from? He also has a very similar 4 star ranking on ON3.
He's a 5* in the 247 Composite rankings...36th overall recruit.

Reactions: bdgan
I believe they have a set # of 5* kids each year, and he finished 36th in their composite rankings.

He could have been 40, 45, 38, and 50th in the different rankings making up the composite and a 4* in all, while another kid could have been a 5* and 25th ranked in two rankings, but 70th and a 4* in the other two rankings...when they compile the composite, the first kid would rank higher in the end (and thus, can end up being a 5* in the composite while only a 4* in the individual rankings that make up the composite).

How much have you contributed to Happy Vally United? It's all about $$$$

Reactions: NJPSU
I used composite rankings.

I'm not letting Franklin off the hook for his failures against OSU. I think a team with 14th ranked classes should be able to beat a team with 2nd ranked classes every 3rd or 4th year. IMO Franklin has a history of panicking in big games.

That said, I don't think NIL and open portal is helping PSU. I read that OSU has $20 million while PSU has $12 million. That's a huge disadvantage. Just think what Rhoades is up against.

Joe’s failures against OSU (and Michigan and Iowa frankly) were worse. Basically the same record vs OSU and OSU has been a consistently better program during Franklin’s tenure than it was Joe’s since they’ve never finished outside the top 10 during it. He needs to do better (the loses in 17 and 18 would have changed the trajectory of the program if they were wins) but no team that hasn’t been involved in a large cheating scheme has beaten them even somewhat consistently in the last decade or so.

The program probably is in the best shape it’s been in since 82-86. You could maybe argue 05-08. But 06/07 were not good.

. He needs to do better (the loses in 17 and 18 would have changed the trajectory of the program if they were wins) but no team that hasn’t been involved in a large cheating scheme has beaten them even somewhat consistently in the last decade or so.
Agree, those games - and late collapses - were absolute back breakers. Win those games and who knows how things stand with the PSU-OSU series today.

Joe’s failures against OSU (and Michigan and Iowa frankly) were worse. Basically the same record vs OSU and OSU has been a consistently better program during Franklin’s tenure than it was Joe’s since they’ve never finished outside the top 10 during it. He needs to do better (the loses in 17 and 18 would have changed the trajectory of the program if they were wins) but no team that hasn’t been involved in a large cheating scheme has beaten them even somewhat consistently in the last decade or so.

The program probably is in the best shape it’s been in since 82-86. You could maybe argue 05-08. But 06/07 were not good.
I never said anything about Franklin vs Paterno. I don't know why you insist on going there but if you must:

Paterno was 5-7 vs OSU
Franklin is 1-9 vs OSU

Furthermore I think the program was in good shape until the Sandusky mess. No question that Joe stayed too long and the early 2000s were horrendous but it's also true that Paterno averaged ~10 wins from 2005-2011 when he was fired. He also won 2 BiG titles during that time. The 2012 team was loaded until Freeh agency and the recruiting class was ranked 6th. My point is the program was in very good shape if not for Sandusky and a new coach would have walked into a great situation.

Today PSU remains a top team nationally. You can credit Franklin. 11 of the remaining 13 BiG teams would like to be in our shoes. That said we've struggled to reach elite status. Our last 5 recruiting classes have averaged 14th with only 1 of those classes in the top 10. I'm just reporting the data.

Agree, those games - and late collapses - were absolute back breakers. Win those games and who knows how things stand with the PSU-OSU series today.
Absolutely! It also happened to Franklin in his early years at PSU. Late losses to USC, UM, MD, NW, MSU, and IND come to mind. I think Franklin is a good coach but I also think his shorts get tight in close games.

Sometimes I wonder how much is due to staff turnover. Joe often talked about the importance of keeping his staff together. Franklin goes through staff like a hot knife through butter. Of course I realize that times have changed.

I never said anything about Franklin vs Paterno. I don't know why you insist on going there but if you must:

Paterno was 5-7 vs OSU
Franklin is 1-9 vs OSU

Furthermore I think the program was in good shape until the Sandusky mess. No question that Joe stayed too long and the early 2000s were horrendous but it's also true that Paterno averaged ~10 wins from 2005-2011 when he was fired. He also won 2 BiG titles during that time. The 2012 team was loaded until Freeh agency and the recruiting class was ranked 6th. My point is the program was in very good shape if not for Sandusky and a new coach would have walked into a great situation.

Today PSU remains a top team nationally. You can credit Franklin. 11 of the remaining 13 BiG teams would like to be in our shoes. That said we've struggled to reach elite status. Our last 5 recruiting classes have averaged 14th with only 1 of those classes in the top 10. I'm just reporting the data.
Paterno never had to deal with he negative impact of Sandusky even though he hired him.

Last edited:

Paterno was 5-7 vs OSU
Franklin is 1-9 vs OSU

Not surprising that someone who uses the term failure with Joe Paterno doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Paterno never had to deal with he negative impact of Sandusky even though he hired him.
Paterno fired Sandusky (or pushed him out) in 1999, 2 years before the Mcqueary locker room incident.

It seems that you're a big Franklin fan who doesn't think highly of Paterno. That's your right. I just don't understand why you bring those opinions into a discussion of PSU's recent recruiting.

Paterno fired Sandusky (or pushed him out) in 1999, 2 years before the Mcqueary locker room incident.

It seems that you're a big Franklin fan who doesn't think highly of Paterno. That's your right. I just don't understand why you bring those opinions into a discussion of PSU's recent recruiting.

That does not change the fact that Joe did not have to deal with the negative impacts of Sandusky.

If you want to bring up Joe then dont get upset when I reply. I did not initiate the comparison.

Paterno was 5-7 vs OSU
Franklin is 1-9 vs OSU

Joe was actually 7-13 against OSU in big ten play.

People like you seem to ignore that they're currently at an all time high. They've finished in the top 10 every season for the last decade. Two of Joes wins were against top 10 osu teams. 05 and 08. These were the others.

2011- unranked (6-7)
2001- unranked (7-5)
1999- unranked (6-6)
1997-12 (10-3)
1994-14 (9-4)

How long do you think Franklin will need to coach before 3 of the OSU teams he faces finish the season unranked?

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
It’s called coaching folks we have a coach that is ok with winning 9 or ten games a year beating cream puffs when he gets to the “ men “ teams he isn’t even close . Beat big boys get big recruits

Never? Never involved except for the ones that commit to psu. Hackenberg, Parsons, martin, jven Williams, birchmeier, allar, Ricky Slade, Justin shorter, Reynolds, singleton and others.

The reality is there are not too many 5*s and Pennsylvania does not produce many. Everyone wants the 5*s so there is a lot of competition. We are not going head to head with Pitt and wvu.
Plus, northeastern athletes are downgraded compared to southern athletes.

Joe was actually 7-13 against OSU in big ten play.

People like you seem to ignore that they're currently at an all time high. They've finished in the top 10 every season for the last decade. Two of Joes wins were against top 10 osu teams. 05 and 08. These were the others.

2011- unranked (6-7)
2001- unranked (7-5)
1999- unranked (6-6)
1997-12 (10-3)
1994-14 (9-4)

How long do you think Franklin will need to coach before 3 of the OSU teams he faces finish the season unranked?
I'm not ignoring anything but I do stand corrected on Joe's record vs OSU. I read an old article so I looked again. I had 7-12 in BiG play and 2-2 before BiG play. My math might be off by one but the claim that Joe's record against OSU was worse than Franklin's record is flat out false. I agree that OSU is a stronger team in the past decade but the claim that Franklin's 1-9 record is better than Paterno is simply not correct.

Furthermore I wasn't the one who brought Paterno into the conversation. That was voltz who claimed that Franklin has done better vs OSU. He seemed upset when I said PSU's recruiting classes have averaged 14th over the past 5 years which was good but not elite like OSU.

It’s called coaching folks we have a coach that is ok with winning 9 or ten games a year beating cream puffs when he gets to the “ men “ teams he isn’t even close . Beat big boys get big recruits
I'm pretty sure that Franklin isn't OK with losing 9 of 10 to OSU. A few of those 9 losses were his failure while most of are due to OSU having better players.

IMO the mountain is even steeper today because OSU has more NIL money to offer recruits.

I'm not ignoring anything but I do stand corrected on Joe's record vs OSU. I read an old article so I looked again. I had 7-12 in BiG play and 2-2 before BiG play. My math might be off by one but the claim that Joe's record against OSU was worse than Franklin's record is flat out false. I agree that OSU is a stronger team in the past decade but the claim that Franklin's 1-9 record is better than Paterno is simply not correct.

Furthermore I wasn't the one who brought Paterno into the conversation. That was voltz who claimed that Franklin has done better vs OSU. He seemed upset when I said PSU's recruiting classes have averaged 14th over the past 5 years which was good but not elite like OSU.
False. You brought up Paterno and his record.

I believe they have a set # of 5* kids each year, and he finished 36th in their composite rankings.

He could have been 40, 45, 38, and 50th in the different rankings making up the composite and a 4* in all, while another kid could have been a 5* and 25th ranked in two rankings, but 70th and a 4* in the other two rankings...when they compile the composite, the first kid would rank higher in the end (and thus, can end up being a 5* in the composite while only a 4* in the individual rankings that make up the composite).
Psu is in on Alvin Henderson. Ranked #36 overall. Which makes him a 5* by some service.

False. You brought up Paterno and his record.
Fastlax brought him up by saying "Joe’s failures against OSU... were worse" (than Franklin's). Sorry if I mixed him up with you.

You criticized me for pointing out that PSU's last 5 classes averaged 14th and that we only had a (actually 3) composite 5* in one of those years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT