ADVERTISEMENT

Who was Penn State's best Offensive Coordinator ever?

I realize this is very subjective... not only is it a matter of opinion, but the term 'offensive coordinator' has not always been used. For many years our "backfield coach" was the primary guy responsible for developing our offensive game plan and calling most of the plays.

By my count, Ricky Rahne will be Penn State's 11th "offensive coordinator" since 1950. My ranking of the previous ten:

10. John Donovan (2014-2015)

9. Al Michaels (1950-1953) One of the three best defensive coaches in school history, was also a very good scout/coach on offense.

8. Bob Phillips (1973-1980) Was the first coach JoePa ever hired. Only guy to coach EVERY offensive position at one time or another at Penn State. Led many productive offenses including '73 and '77.

7. Fran Ganter (1984-2003) Developed many solid/great offenses for over 20 seasons including best-ever '94 one.

6. Galen Hall (2004-2011) Was a hugely successful OC at Oklahoma for many years; former PSU QB who led some truly high-octane offenses in the late 2000s; also a head coach at both the college and professional level.

5. Dick Anderson (1981-1983) One of the best coaches in school history, mostly of offensive linemen and TE's; was only OC for three seasons before taking a HC job at Rutgers but achieved consistently high offensive production despite brutally tough schedules.

4. Joe Paterno (1954-1965) Brilliant developer of QB's (sent seven into the NFL); helped transition PSU into modern-era single wing football where the QB is more than just a glorified blocker. Overcame shortages of scholarships to help put PSU football back on the map.

3. Bill O'Brien (2012-2013) Was also head coach during this time; despite severe shortages in talent/scholarships, oversaw very high offensive production in both yards and points.

2. Joe Moorhead (2016-2017) Only on staff for two seasons, but crafted juggernaut offenses in both.

1. George Welsh (1966-1972) Promoted after JoePa became HC in '66; led a tremendous resurgence of PSU offensive production over the next seven seasons. Developed great backs including Charlie Pittman, Bob Campbell, Lydell Mitchell, Franco Harris & John Cappelletti in just a few short years. Went on to be highly successful HC at Navy & UVA.
Dick Anderson and Fran Ganter

McGloin flourished under BOB. I found it very telling that a sanctions - depleted offense was so much better than the one from the preceding season.
As far as Jay, I would tend to trust Mauti’s opinion on the subject of his competency.
One has to give some credit to Jay for his development of McGloin from '08-'11. Matt didn't just suddenly learn how to be a D1 QB in preseason of his 5th year. He looked Brett Favre-like during the second half of the 2010 season (yes, then threw like 19 int's in our bowl game but Blackledge used to throw a lot as well).

If one only focuses on the miserable 2004 season (when we were implementing a totally new offensive scheme for the first time since 1984) then Jay does seem to have sucked. If you look closely at the other eleven seasons he developed our QB's, then his body of work is far more impressive IMHO.

Last edited:
If one only focuses on the miserable 2004 season (when we were implementing a totally new offensive scheme for the first time since 1984) then Jay does seem to have sucked. If you look closely at the other eleven seasons he developed our QB's, then his body of work is far more impressive IMHO.

To me Jay’s and Galen’s biggest failures were ‘06 and ‘07. Two miserably underachieving seasons

And the failure frankly went well beyond them and fell on the entire offensive staff

To me Jay’s and Galen’s biggest failures were ‘06 and ‘07. Two miserably underachieving seasons

And the failure frankly went well beyond them and fell on the entire offensive staff
Uh, not so sure I agree about '07. Austin Scott turned out to be a bust unfortunately, but Rodney Kinlaw had a monster season and Morelli put up very good numbers and we average 31 points per game (plus 24 in our bowl game win). We should have won the MSU game, but our defense collapsed in the 2nd half after we were ahead by a lot and we moved the ball at will vs Illinois but lost a few fumbles which cost us the game.

Uh, not so sure I agree about '07. Austin Scott turned out to be a bust unfortunately, but Rodney Kinlaw had a monster season and Morelli put up very good numbers and we average 31 points per game (plus 24 in our bowl game win). We should have won the MSU game, but our defense collapsed in the 2nd half after we were ahead by a lot and we moved the ball at will vs Illinois but lost a few fumbles which cost us the game.
The loss at Michigan was totally on the offensive coached. One of the most incompetent performances PSU ever had

The loss at Michigan was totally on the offensive coached. One of the most incompetent performances PSU ever had
Well, if you're going to evaluate the performance of our offensive coaches during an entire season solely on the Michigan game (or OSU), then we've only had, like two "good" offenses since we joined the Big 10(16+..)... and many of those UM teams sucked.

Even the '94 contest came down to one play....

Last edited:
I realize this is very subjective... not only is it a matter of opinion, but the term 'offensive coordinator' has not always been used. For many years our "backfield coach" was the primary guy responsible for developing our offensive game plan and calling most of the plays.

By my count, Ricky Rahne will be Penn State's 11th "offensive coordinator" since 1950. My ranking of the previous ten:

10. John Donovan (2014-2015)

9. Al Michaels (1950-1953) One of the three best defensive coaches in school history, was also a very good scout/coach on offense.

8. Bob Phillips (1973-1980) Was the first coach JoePa ever hired. Only guy to coach EVERY offensive position at one time or another at Penn State. Led many productive offenses including '73 and '77.

7. Fran Ganter (1984-2003) Developed many solid/great offenses for over 20 seasons including best-ever '94 one.

6. Galen Hall (2004-2011) Was a hugely successful OC at Oklahoma for many years; former PSU QB who led some truly high-octane offenses in the late 2000s; also a head coach at both the college and professional level.

5. Dick Anderson (1981-1983) One of the best coaches in school history, mostly of offensive linemen and TE's; was only OC for three seasons before taking a HC job at Rutgers but achieved consistently high offensive production despite brutally tough schedules.

4. Joe Paterno (1954-1965) Brilliant developer of QB's (sent seven into the NFL); helped transition PSU into modern-era single wing football where the QB is more than just a glorified blocker. Overcame shortages of scholarships to help put PSU football back on the map.

3. Bill O'Brien (2012-2013) Was also head coach during this time; despite severe shortages in talent/scholarships, oversaw very high offensive production in both yards and points.

2. Joe Moorhead (2016-2017) Only on staff for two seasons, but crafted juggernaut offenses in both.

1. George Welsh (1966-1972) Promoted after JoePa became HC in '66; led a tremendous resurgence of PSU offensive production over the next seven seasons. Developed great backs including Charlie Pittman, Bob Campbell, Lydell Mitchell, Franco Harris & John Cappelletti in just a few short years. Went on to be highly successful HC at Navy & UVA.
So does Rahne bump Donovan off top ten list when he is added? I see you forgot offensive co-ordinator Jay Paterno. lol, tic

I see you forgot offensive co-ordinator Jay Paterno.
The name that IS "missing" is Jim Caldwell, although he was never OC here, but he had as big an impact on our offense as most of the men on this list.

Before he went on to do big things in the NFL, Caldwell was our passing game coach from 1987-92. Anybody familiar with that era knows how much Penn State's pass offense improved during that time.

Joe recommended him to be a HC and in 1993 he became one of only five African American D1 Head Coaches. fun fact

Reactions: gslachta
I'm not sure what any of that says, aside from:

Michigan has been in the crapper on offense for most of the last generation, and - otherwise (aside from PSU from 2000-2015) - the three programs have been remarkably consistent and relatively equal - - - - - which I would expect should come as no surprise.
It says if you want more points, and more yards... you need moor head :)

Thanks for the stats, interesting to see how we've stacked up against the pride of the Big 10(22+) over the decades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT