ADVERTISEMENT

Who was Penn State's best Offensive Coordinator ever?

psu skp

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2016
50 yard line after dark
I realize this is very subjective... not only is it a matter of opinion, but the term 'offensive coordinator' has not always been used. For many years our "backfield coach" was the primary guy responsible for developing our offensive game plan and calling most of the plays.

By my count, Ricky Rahne will be Penn State's 11th "offensive coordinator" since 1950. My ranking of the previous ten:

10. John Donovan (2014-2015)

9. Al Michaels (1950-1953) One of the three best defensive coaches in school history, was also a very good scout/coach on offense.

8. Bob Phillips (1973-1980) Was the first coach JoePa ever hired. Only guy to coach EVERY offensive position at one time or another at Penn State. Led many productive offenses including '73 and '77.

7. Fran Ganter (1984-2003) Developed many solid/great offenses for over 20 seasons including best-ever '94 one.

6. Galen Hall (2004-2011) Was a hugely successful OC at Oklahoma for many years; former PSU QB who led some truly high-octane offenses in the late 2000s; also a head coach at both the college and professional level.

5. Dick Anderson (1981-1983) One of the best coaches in school history, mostly of offensive linemen and TE's; was only OC for three seasons before taking a HC job at Rutgers but achieved consistently high offensive production despite brutally tough schedules.

4. Joe Paterno (1954-1965) Brilliant developer of QB's (sent seven into the NFL); helped transition PSU into modern-era single wing football where the QB is more than just a glorified blocker. Overcame shortages of scholarships to help put PSU football back on the map.

3. Bill O'Brien (2012-2013) Was also head coach during this time; despite severe shortages in talent/scholarships, oversaw very high offensive production in both yards and points.

2. Joe Moorhead (2016-2017) Only on staff for two seasons, but crafted juggernaut offenses in both.

1. George Welsh (1966-1972) Promoted after JoePa became HC in '66; led a tremendous resurgence of PSU offensive production over the next seven seasons. Developed great backs including Charlie Pittman, Bob Campbell, Lydell Mitchell, Franco Harris & John Cappelletti in just a few short years. Went on to be highly successful HC at Navy & UVA.

Last edited:
...correction...Rip Engle brought Joe Paterno with him to Penn State to help install Rip's "Wing T" offense and get rid of our "Single Wing" offense...
...the QB in the Single Wing played outside the end and was primarily a blocker while the QB in the Wing T was under center and handled the ball on almost every down...

...correction...Rip Engle brought Joe Paterno with him to Penn State to help install Rip's "Wing T" offense and get rid of our "Single Wing" offense...
...the QB in the Single Wing played outside the end and was primarily a blocker while the QB in the Wing T was under center and handled the ball on almost every down...
You are quite correct. My bad, was a long day at work today. :)

I have to vote for Al Michaels. He went on to have a very successful career in sports broadcasting, most notably Sunday/Monday Night Football.:)

I'd put Galen Hall behind Fran Ganter. It is still frustrating to think about some of the inept offenses in the 2000s - from teams that were loaded with star recruits. The defenses played up to their potential but the offenses never did

I'd put Galen Hall behind Fran Ganter. It is still frustrating to think about some of the inept offenses in the 2000s - from teams that were loaded with star recruits. The defenses played up to their potential but the offenses never did
Fair enough, but 2008 & 2005 were two of the finest offenses PSU ever produced. '07 and '09 were also fairly dominant.

Reactions: Bob78
I realize this is very subjective... not only is it a matter of opinion, but the term 'offensive coordinator' has not always been used. For many years our "backfield coach" was the primary guy responsible for developing our offensive game plan and calling most of the plays.

By my count, Ricky Rahne will be Penn State's 11th "offensive coordinator" since 1950. My ranking of the previous ten:

9. Al Michaels (1950-1953) One of the three best defensive coaches in school history, was also a very good scout/coach on offense.

8. Bob Phillips (1973-1980) Was the first coach JoePa ever hired. Only guy to coach EVERY offensive position at one time or another at Penn State. Led many productive offenses including '73 and '77.

7. Fran Ganter (1984-2003) Developed many solid/great offenses for over 20 seasons including best-ever '94 one.

6. Galen Hall (2004-2011) Was a hugely successful OC at Oklahoma for many years; former PSU QB who led some truly high-octane offenses in the late 2000s; also a head coach at both the college and professional level.

5. Dick Anderson (1981-1983) One of the best coaches in school history, mostly of offensive linemen and TE's; was only OC for three seasons before taking a HC job at Rutgers but achieved consistently high offensive production despite brutally tough schedules.

4. Joe Paterno (1954-1965) Brilliant developer of QB's (sent seven into the NFL); helped transition PSU into modern-era single wing football where the QB is more than just a glorified blocker. Overcame shortages of scholarships to help put PSU football back on the map.

3. Bill O'Brien (2012-2013) Was also head coach during this time; despite severe shortages in talent/scholarships, oversaw very high offensive production in both yards and points.

2. Joe Moorhead (2016-2017) Only on staff for two seasons, but crafted juggernaut offenses in both.

1. George Welsh (1966-1972) Promoted after JoePa became HC in '66; led a tremendous resurgence of PSU offensive production over the next seven seasons. Developed great backs including Charlie Pittman, Bob Campbell, Lydell Mitchell, Franco Harris & John Cappelletti in just a few short years. Went on to be highly successful HC at Navy & UVA.

Good job. I would move Fran above Galen Hall and Dick Anderson. I think Joe really handcuffed him, for whatever reason, after '94. I just remember that quote after the season that Joe "didn't like that style of offense" (paraphrasing). Also the recruiting, especially on offense, after '99 was flat out horrible.
My number 1 would probably be Bill O, then Moorhead.
I think Ricky Rahne has the potential to be very good.

Ehhh yea kind of its just that it was the defense that was loaded with the star recruits, the offense not so much. Honestly a lot of that was on Joe and his recruiting staff. INMO the program and the school was selling itself and many of the coaches just "there".

My point was that there could not have been anyone else ranked lower than 10, because Donovan was such a hot mess that he had to have been the worst.
Donovan is also the only PSU assistant coach to be fired since 1936. Unless you count guys being replaced by O'Brien or Franklin in order to bring their own people in.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Judging him without remembering that he didn't have the control of the passing game that a coordinator normally has is probably unfair

The two names I think you may have "misranked" would be Anderson and O'Brien. In 1982 Penn State became the first team in the history of college football to win a national championship by throwing for more yards than they rushed for. This distinction, IMHO, puts him in a different category as it is not just a PSU distinction but set him a part from every other OC in college football.
I would not rank O'Brien as high. He certainly had his moments, especially early in his PSU career. Like everything in his two years we must recognize the impact of the sanctions. But Bill had some god-awful days of play calling and offensive ineptitude. The two that come to mind quickly are Minnesota and Indiana in 2013 and I mention those two because sanctions or not, those are teams PSU should have beaten.
That said, these types of debates are always interesting.

Judging him without remembering that he didn't have the control of the passing game that a coordinator normally has is probably unfair
Good point, maybe Jay should be on the list and the only person lower than Donovan.

The two names I think you may have "misranked" would be Anderson and O'Brien. In 1982 Penn State became the first team in the history of college football to win a national championship by throwing for more yards than they rushed for. This distinction, IMHO, puts him in a different category as it is not just a PSU distinction but set him a part from every other OC in college football.
I would not rank O'Brien as high. He certainly had his moments, especially early in his PSU career. Like everything in his two years we must recognize the impact of the sanctions. But Bill had some god-awful days of play calling and offensive ineptitude. The two that come to mind quickly are Minnesota and Indiana in 2013 and I mention those two because sanctions or not, those are teams PSU should have beaten.
Agreed. I think O’Brien gets a lot of credit because the offense in 2012 was so much better than the truly historically bad offenses we saw in 2010 and 2011 - similar to how Moorhead gets a lot of credit due to the 2014 and 2015 offenses. That said, Moorhead’s offenses were better than OB’s almost across the board.

The two names I think you may have "misranked" would be Anderson and O'Brien. In 1982 Penn State became the first team in the history of college football to win a national championship by throwing for more yards than they rushed for.
I can't disagree with you. Anderson was a truly brilliant offensive coach and it's easy to see why Joe promoted him (ahead of QB coach Bob Phillips) to be our first official "OC". Hard to imagine he also managed to coach the OL and TE's in addition to running the entire offense (producing such players as Mike Munchak & Sean Farrell).

O'Brien probably did the best he could with what he had--he did inherit great OL players from Joe--his biggest mistake I think was making John Butler his DC in 2013. Butler would be rated dead last on my DC ranking-list.

Reactions: BBrown

Jay's X-Box!!!

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
Agreed. I think O’Brien gets a lot of credit because the offense in 2012 was so much better than the truly historically bad offenses we saw in 2010 and 2011 - similar to how Moorhead gets a lot of credit due to the 2014 and 2015 offenses. That said, Moorhead’s offenses were better than OB’s almost across the board.
agree...but it is hard to measure Moorhead's capabilities. He was blessed with a once-in-a-career RB...and it will be interesting to see how Trace (et all) do with Rahne over Moorhead.

Moorhead had full control and blew up the old offense in totality. Moorhead's offense wasn't revolutionary as several college teams run offenses that are similar. I give him great credit for taking all of the disparate pieces and getting them all coordinated and put in the right place. But one has to wonder if is was scheme or talent. Obviously, it is some mix of all of that. We'll be in a better position to tell after this coming season.

agree...but it is hard to measure Moorhead's capabilities. He was blessed with a once-in-a-career RB...and it will be interesting to see how Trace (et all) do with Rahne over Moorhead.

Moorhead had full control and blew up the old offense in totality. Moorhead's offense wasn't revolutionary as several college teams run offenses that are similar. I give him great credit for taking all of the disparate pieces and getting them all coordinated and put in the right place. But one has to wonder if is was scheme or talent. Obviously, it is some mix of all of that. We'll be in a better position to tell after this coming season.
One thing about Moorhead that may not be measured, IMO he made great in-game adjustments. We all know how many times in 2017 we were behind at halftime and came out firing in the second half. It happened so many times I don't think it can be a coincidence. So that is an area I will be watching this fall for Rahne..

wasn't Kenny Carter fired also?
Joe Paterno never fired an assistant coach in his 46 years as HC. Neither did Rip Engel or Bob Higgins before him (at least not after 1936).

Kenny Carter was primarily a RB coach (had been at Pitt). I think both he and Joe felt that was a better fit for him (even though Bryant Johnson thrived under him) and he went to Vanderbilt and was the Commodores running backs coach and recruiting coordinator from 2004-07, meaning that it’s possible Carter initially recruited some of the Vandy players that Franklin eventually coached from 2011-13. He then became a HC. But, he was never "relieved of his duties" as JD was.

And Bill's offenses have not been anything special in the NFL.

One thing about Moorhead that may not be measured, IMO he made great in-game adjustments. We all know how many times in 2017 we were behind at halftime and came out firing in the second half. It happened so many times I don't think it can be a coincidence. So that is an area I will be watching this fall for Rahne..
Correct. His run game scheme lacked imagination but the guy put up a lot of points.

Did I miss something? Has a coach besides Donovan been fired? Perhaps I forgot one
Skip, I think it may be semantics. Joe was gracious enough to let guys find a new job without actually firing them. I believe this may have been the case for Carter, Kenny Jackson and Bob White.

Skip, I think it may be semantics. Joe was gracious enough to let guys find a new job without actually firing them. I believe this may have been the case for Carter, Kenny Jackson and Bob White.
Oh, I agree. Although Jackson took an NFL job and White stated he didn't like coaching at that level after finding out the hours that it required. I can name about 9-10 coaches that were reassigned for various reasons (and some returned).

However, that is quite different than being "relieved of your duties" (fired, let go, given the ax). Especially in a profession as competitive as big-time college football where coaches are fired as often as I throw away used kleenex, it is rather remarkable that PSU did not "fire" an assistant football coach in an eighty year span.

Wholeheartedly agree that Welsh is #1 OC, but O'Brien is not # 3. My choices are Welsh, Joseph V Paterno, Moorhead, Anderson, Ganter. Put the rest wherever.

Reactions: Option Bob
By the time Jay was QB coach, Ganter’s hands were pretty much tied.
Never quite understood the level of bashing Jay Paterno has gotten, other than the understandable "he was hired b/c he's the coaches son".

If you actually go back and look at stats and gamefilm, his body of work is rather impressive.

Rashard Casey showed tremendous improvement in his one season under Jay (2000).

Zack Mills broke many school records and was very productive and efficient--even in the 2003-04 seasons (when he was healthy). Go back and watch games from '03 & '04 and you will see that Mills & MRob usually weren't the problem with our offense.

Michael Robinson was Big 10 player of the year in the one season he focused on QB.

Anthony Morelli had a very rough 2006 season but improved in every category in '07.

Darryl Clark had two very great/productive seasons in 2008-09.

Rob Bolden never made it in Div I, but walk-on Matt McGloin was developed by Jay for four seasons into an NFL-potential player. Just sayin'

Last edited:
Never quite understood the level of bashing Jay Paterno has gotten, other than the understandable "he was hired b/c he's the coaches son".

If you actually go back and look at stats and gamefilm, his body of work is rather impressive.

Rashard Casey showed tremendous improvement in his one season under Jay (2000).

Zack Mills broke many school records and was very productive and efficient (even in the 2003-04 season) when he was healthy. Go back and watch games from '03 & '04 and you will see that Mills & MRob usually weren't the problem with our offense.

Michael Robinson was Big 10 player of the year in the one season he focused on QB.

Anthony Morelli had a very rough 2006 season but improved in every category in '07.

Darryl Clark had two very great/productive seasons in 2008-09.

Rob Bolden never made it in Div I, but walk-on Matt McGloin was developed by Jay for four seasons into an NFL-potential player. Just sayin'
I can clearly recall a postgame presser towatd the end of the dreadful 2004 season where PSU had suffered another loss due to an utterly incompetent offense. Galen Hall was openly frustrated and asked a question to the effect of “ Why was I brought in here ? “. Things changed after that. The last game of that season PSU ran the QB against MSU and won.
The 2005 offense bore little resemblance to the preceding years. Innovation continued after that.
McGloin flourished under BOB. I found it very telling that a sanctions - depleted offense was so much better than the one from the preceding season.
As far as Jay, I would tend to trust Mauti’s opinion on the subject of his competency.

Reactions: stormingnorm
ADVERTISEMENT