ADVERTISEMENT

"Who is the best college football player born in your state?"

Who you got?

• Someone from PSU (LaVar, Barkley, Cappelletti, Ham, Munchak, Mike Reid...)

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Someone from Pitt (Donald, Dorsett, Marino, McCoy...)

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Someone from Notre Dame (Rocket Ismail, Lujack, Montana...)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
Namath, Montana, Cappy? I’m not familiar with the college careers of the first two, but all were great players. I’d put Franco in the mix if we were just looking at pro careers.

Other. Someone from the University of Illinois, Red Grange. Syracuse? Ernie Davis.

Namath, Montana, Cappy? I’m not familiar with the college careers of the first two, but all were great players. I’d put Franco in the mix if we were just looking at pro careers.
Namath and Montana both led their respective schools to national championships.

If I am calling WV my state, off the top of my head, I'd say its a toss up between Randy Moss and Sam Huff.

Reactions: NittanyBuff24
Franco Harris?
Lydell Mitchell?
Dave Robinson?
Craig Heyward?
Irving Fryar?

- and that's just the South Jersey guys.

For college, I would go with Lydell, but for pro I would go with Franco. Although Robinson is right there too.

Reactions: BarryPSU
PA is to hard IMO.. Dorsett was amazing at Pitt, Marino was good, Barkley was awesome, Ham was incredible. Cappy was a legend. Any of those guys. Lavar was good, but not like those guys.

Way too many from where I was born and grew up, Ohio. Many all pros and All Americans.

My current state, Florida, same problem.

Reactions: NittanyBuff24
When your from the Commonwealth of PA its almost impossible. But the myth the legend of Unitas makes me think him.
But didn’t Arron Donald win the most awards? I get he is from Pitt and played on mediocre teams.

PA is to hard IMO.. Dorsett was amazing at Pitt, Marino was good, Barkley was awesome, Ham was incredible. Cappy was a legend. Any of those guys. Lavar was good, but not like those guys.
Marino walked into an established program. I got Donald won more awards then all of them on a crappy Pitt team.

From NJ - There are many who played at PSU but I'm going with Ritchie Incognito who played at Nebraska.

Red Grange, the "Galloping Ghost" was born in PA. Moved to Illinois and played for the Illini. He's usually listed near the top of the "Best Ever All Time" lists.

Reactions: Woodpecker
Red Grange, the "Galloping Ghost" was born in PA. Moved to Illinois and played for the Illini. He's usually listed near the top of the "Best Ever All Time" lists.
Yeah, I still don't know how Hugo Bezdek let him get away

My opinion Lenny Moore.

Red Grange technically born in Pa.

Mike Ditka 35 the rest of those posted 0

No.

The kid may have played before the down years. He only started one year (his last) No NFL opportunities as I recall. Definitely a defensive lineman.
OK, but Steve Wisniewski was born in Vermont

OK, but Steve Wisniewski was born in Vermont
The greatest NFL player born in Vermont is Steve Wisniewski. The 13-year veteran played in 206 career games, more than twice as many as anyone other else from the Green Mountain State. Not only did Wisniewski play in 206 career games, he started every single one of them.

Nice all-time QB list from the WPIAL:
Unitas
Namath
Montana
Marino
Kelley
I don't think Kelley was in the WPIAL. He was born in Pittsburgh but played HS ball in East Brady which I think is up north of Clarion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT