ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s the next PSU coach?

It wouldn't surprise me but I doubt it unless he were to walk away from football. His stock is low and dropping every year. He won't find a job in the current market that pays him as much as he makes now, schools will be loath to pay a staff what he wants to pay them and lastly he won't be able to find a position with equal status.

Doc Holiday
Perfect example of the insane thinking of this board. You want to replace a coach who has 3 Top 10 season in the last 4 years because he 0-4 for a coach who has lost 23 games in the last 4 years because he currently 7-0. People complain about Franklin yet want to replace hone with a guy who only won 1 conference title in 10 years and has managed only 1 top 25 finish in that time (#23). Not to mention the guy is 63 years old and is likely to look at retiring at the end of his first contract.

Perfect example of the insane thinking of this board. You want to replace a coach who has 3 Top 10 season in the last 4 years because he 0-4 for a coach who has lost 23 games in the last 4 years because he currently 7-0. People complain about Franklin yet want to replace hone with a guy who only won 1 conference title in 10 years and has managed only 1 top 25 finish in that time (#23)
People are so reactionary. Hire Broehm after he beat OSU. Hire Fleck after he beat PSU.

So those that want to keep Franklin what is your point that you pull the plug? Ignore the buyout because that alone guarantees that PSU won’t can him. What is your point that puts you over the edge and makes you say Franklin has got to go?

Losing to Rutgers?
2 losing seasons?
Going 0-8?

James is not leaving by darkness of night,
Or during the day when the sun's shining bright.
He won't leave in January, or June or July,
You can't force him out so don't bother to try.
Coach Franklin is simply not going away,
Cause he likes it here and Sandy wants him to stay.
And so do I. 😊

Seems pretty clear JF has an empty tank and will likely resign at season’s end. If so, who’s up next? And who’s gonna watch the flight trackers for the site?
Unless he walks away on his own due to burnout or family issues he isn’t going to be replaced at least for a couple of years. Too much money tied up coupled with the economics of the pandemic

So those that want to keep Franklin what is your point that you pull the plug? Ignore the buyout because that alone guarantees that PSU won’t can him. What is your point that puts you over the edge and makes you say Franklin has got to go?

Losing to Rutgers?
2 losing seasons?
Going 0-8?
I would say he gets (as another post stated) a Mulligan this year. Should things start going south next year, yes, a serious look.
But, as posted above. You have 3out of last 4 years as a top 10 team.
This board has made points as to why this year is a mess from a team dynamics view.
2021 and see what pans out.

OL

Losing to Rutgers?
2 losing seasons?
Going 0-8?

We lose to rutgres at home, 68-0, and Beaver Stadium crumbles down to the ground. If that happens, then I think it’s time to move on from Franklin.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUfiji and bison13
Jimmy F. will leave when he is ready to. I honestly like him. It was not long ago I and a lot of other posters thought he was the perfect fit at PSU, I still do. By the way and if you would, I have a friend that can use some prayers as he fights for his life. His name is Kirt. Thanks

Losing to Rutgers?
2 losing seasons?
Going 0-8?
I wouldn’t make any decisions based on 2020. If he follows it up with losing record in 2021 I think he is going the wrong direction and a change is warranted

I reject the premise of the OP completely. 'Pretty clear' indeed. Pretty clear someone is butt hurt and writing checks his ass can't cash.

I'm more concerned about Pry than I am about Franklin.

I reject the premise of the OP completely.

Probably a lot of Florida fans who thought that way in Nov, 2010, too.

• Wow
Reactions: PSUfiji
REALITY CHECK
No one is walking away from tens of millions of $ unless you’re name Bezos and that’s not how you spell Franklin. Franklin is no Saban or Dabo, but who else in college football 🏈 is? Day was handed a gassed up Rolls Royce so I’d wait a while before anointing him. All in all before this year he’s not done enough to warrant dismissal in a rational World. That being said I do want to give him the opportunity to pull his head out of his ass and take charge. That to me is the rest of this year, and next season. If not, then light the torches and sharpen up the pitchforks.

PSU needs to do it the SEC way and sweep both the coach and AD out the door at the same time. An epic fail like this the season after a coach was signed to an extension requires accountability from the decision makers.

OMG. Ted Williams was the greatest hitter in baseball with an above 400 average. That’s one hit out of 10. James has been in the top ten 3 out of the last 4 years. Probably about 60 programs that would give their left arm for that record. Having a bad year yes, but the summary of his tenure is fine. Looking back at my 40 year career in business, I had a few bad years, but when measured in its totality I did OK. Let’s stop this “what have you done for me lately” judgement,

Last edited:
OMG. Ted Williams was the greatest hitter in baseball with an above 400 average. That’s one hit out of 4. James has been in the top ten 3 out of the last 4 years. Probably about 60 programs that would give their left arm for that record. Having a bad year yes, but the summary of his tenure is fine. Looking back at my 40 year career in business, I had a few bad years, but when measured in its totality I did OK. Let’s stop this “what have you done for me lately” judgement,
Uh....one hit out of four is .250. Two hits out of five is .400. And Teddy ballgame hit .406 once, and ended with a .344 average, and in addition to being the best hitter in baseball, also was the best fighter pilot in the Navy and later the best fly-fisherman on the planet. If we had a coach who could obsessively apply himself to coaching like Ted Williams could apply himself to anything, we wouldn't be having such a fun thread.

But getting back on topic, we all seem to agree that Penn State needs better football facilities, leading to better recruiting, and focused coaching to get to elite.

Losing to Rutgers?
2 losing seasons?
Going 0-8?

When the buyout is manageable - maybe two years left? Gives him time to right the ship (which if I were AD means make the CFP) or move on. I wouldn’t do anything now unless I knew I could get a big name coach.

REALITY CHECK
No one is walking away from tens of millions of $ unless you’re name Bezos and that’s not how you spell Franklin. Franklin is no Saban or Dabo, but who else in college football 🏈 is? Day was handed a gassed up Rolls Royce so I’d wait a while before anointing him. All in all before this year he’s not done enough to warrant dismissal in a rational World. That being said I do want to give him the opportunity to pull his head out of his ass and take charge. That to me is the rest of this year, and next season. If not, then light the torches and sharpen up the pitchforks.

JMO but Pat Fitzgerald is the best coach in the B1G.

Seems pretty clear JF has an empty tank and will likely resign at season’s end. If so, who’s up next? And who’s gonna watch the flight trackers for the site?

Not happening in this season of C-19 !
But I do hear that Jim Harbaugh may be available soon.

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
Thanks for the correction, Math was never my strong suite. My bad, I meant 4 out of 10. By the way, he had Navy Wings of Gold on his uniform but served as a Marine Officer.
Uh....one hit out of four is .250. Two hits out of five is .400. And Teddy ballgame hit .406 once, and ended with a .344 average, and in addition to being the best hitter in baseball, also was the best fighter pilot in the Navy and later the best fly-fisherman on the planet. If we had a coach who could obsessively apply himself to coaching like Ted Williams could apply himself to anything, we wouldn't be having such a fun thread.

But getting back on topic, we all seem to agree that Penn State needs better football facilities, leading to better recruiting, and focused coaching to get to elite.

Jimmy F. will leave when he is ready to. I honestly like him. It was not long ago I and a lot of other posters thought he was the perfect fit at PSU, I still do. By the way and if you would, I have a friend that can use some prayers as he fights for his life. His name is Kirt. Thanks
Sorry to read about your friend Kirt. He will be in my prayers today.

Perfect example of the insane thinking of this board. You want to replace a coach who has 3 Top 10 season in the last 4 years because he 0-4 for a coach who has lost 23 games in the last 4 years because he currently 7-0. People complain about Franklin yet want to replace hone with a guy who only won 1 conference title in 10 years and has managed only 1 top 25 finish in that time (#23). Not to mention the guy is 63 years old and is likely to look at retiring at the end of his first contract.
Sounds like you believe in age discrimination

OMG. Ted Williams was the greatest hitter in baseball with an above 400 average. That’s one hit out of 10. James has been in the top ten 3 out of the last 4 years. Probably about 60 programs that would give their left arm for that record. Having a bad year yes, but the summary of his tenure is fine. Looking back at my 40 year career in business, I had a few bad years, but when measured in its totality I did OK. Let’s stop this “what have you done for me lately” judgement,

huh?

If Coach Franklin leaves a realistic possibility is Steve Sarkisian. An excellent OC and recruiter at Alabama. He will most likely bring Kyle Flood who is a very good Offensive lines coach.

If Coach Franklin leaves a realistic possibility is Steve Sarkisian. An excellent OC and recruiter at Alabama. He will most likely bring Kyle Flood who is a very good Offensive lines coach.
You mean the guy that was fired as head coach of USC midseason because of his admitted alcohol problems? A problem that he admittedly has to fight every day? I wish him the best of luck and success with those challenges, but that's not someone we want as a head coach at PSU.

Maybe we can hire Sarkisian and he brings Flood. We have two or three great years and Sark bolts for the NFL, then we promote Flood. He then ruins the program and we become Rutgers. Then we hire Ash and things totally collapse. Bye this time Franklin has rehabilitated his career at South Alabama and we hire him because PSU is his dream job. Excuse me, I’m drinking early today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT