ADVERTISEMENT

Football WHITEOUT GAME: Iowa at PSU 8 PM Kickoff on CBS 9/23

I see references to "helmet stripe" day vs WVU and Spirit Day, Thon, on Sept 9th

it also means we'll have four games of interest, at least: WVU, Iowa, Michigan and tOSU.

FwLzM_wakAAAuAS

FwLzNAkakAAXjn3

Wonder how CBS will approach the production and promotion. It clearly was one of ESPN’s marquee games of the year.

Would be great to get a lot of build up the week before during NFL games and get some new people to tune in just to see the spectacle.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Wonder how CBS will approach the production and promotion. It clearly was one of ESPN’s marquee games of the year.

Would be great to get a lot of build up the week before during NFL games and get some new people to tune in just to see the spectacle.

Well, one of the funny things is that CBS will be advertising for it during the SEC games they broadcast including one that will be the lead in at 3:30 PM that day - I guess Arkansas/LSU, Ole Miss-Alabama or Auburn Texas A&M as the afternoon game on CBS.

Of note, we will be going against Ohio State/Notre Dame on NBC at the same time.

Reactions: Mufasa94
Probably been discussed already, but with the new TV rights, I wonder how many B1G sites will get Gameday visits this year. Like it or not, Gameday definitely amped up the environment. I've been to a couple of games where Fox or the B1G were on site, and you really couldn't tell the difference or feel an impact compared to Herbie and the boys in town.

Reactions: Obliviax
Probably been discussed already, but with the new TV rights, I wonder how many B1G sites will get Gameday visits this year. Like it or not, Gameday definitely amped up the environment. I've been to a couple of games where Fox or the B1G were on site, and you really couldn't tell the difference or feel an impact compared to Herbie and the boys in town.
I don’t think we need Gameday to get amped up for the whiteout but the three hour infomercial about Penn State that it turns into is certainly helpful.

I hope we stomp them into the dirt. I respect OSU as better program. I hate UM because they are arrogant when mostly similar to us. I despise Iowa, classless and putrid fan base with horrible chip on shoulder. I know it will be a tough game bc Hawk D is always good and CJF can get outcoached. Crowd will be ready

Why couldn't the White Out be vs scUM on CBS in prime time?
Because CBS isn’t carrying a Big Ten in prime time that day; NBC is and they are featuring MSU/tOSU.

On Sept 23, NBC is broadcasting a Notre Dame game in the evening slot and doing an (unannounced) Big Ten game in the afternoon, freeing up the evening slot for CBS to carry a Big Ten game. NBC will also carry a night ND game on Oct 14 and CBS will do the Big Ten that evening as well

Because CBS isn’t carrying a Big Ten in prime time that day; NBC is and they are featuring MSU/tOSU.

On Sept 23, NBC is broadcasting a Notre Dame game in the evening slot and doing an (unannounced) Big Ten game in the afternoon, freeing up the evening slot for CBS to carry a Big Ten game. NBC will also carry a night ND game on Oct 14 and CBS will do the Big Ten that evening as well
Why wouldn't NBC choose the White Out of PSU vs scUM instead of MSU vs O$U? At the time of the PSU vs scUM game we could only have one loss or hopefully none but with one loss to O$U assuming a competitive game and O$U is undefeated we should be about #10 or maybe a bit higher. scUM will be #2 or maybe #1. O$U will be #2 or #3 but MSU may not even be ranked or not top 10.

Why wouldn't NBC choose the White Out of PSU vs scUM instead of MSU vs O$U? At the time of the PSU vs scUM game we could only have one loss or hopefully none but with one loss to O$U assuming a competitive game and O$U is undefeated we should be about #10 or maybe a bit higher. scUM will be #2 or maybe #1. O$U will be #2 or #3 but MSU may not even be ranked or not top 10.

Fox probably picked it first.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Fox probably picked it first.
...and I am not convinced PSU can have a white out on Nov 11th that is as effective. Weather is cold and "iffy" byt that time of year so while they may have wanted the game, it probably was never going to be a white out.

...and I am not convinced PSU can have a white out on Nov 11th that is as effective. Weather is cold and "iffy" byt that time of year so while they may have wanted the game, it probably was never going to be a white out.

Unless the school buys 100k+ oversized white Ts and hands them out, a November White Out would be tough to attain with the same level of participation as warmer weather counterparts.

Reactions: Obliviax

The game has to be available to pick it. Fox picked first and slotted it at noon, because that's our future for all big games.

The game has to be available to pick it. Fox picked first and slotted it at noon, because that's our future for all big games.
FOX doesn’t get first pick every week. There will be big games for PSU on other networks.

I'm totally confused on how it works with what networks get what games, what order do they pick games, etc. Nevertheless, I would like to play Michigan in a White Out even in Nov. Cold or not, the crowd will be pumped. Noon starts are not great and take away some of our home field advantage in my opinion.

Not in the cards this year. Let's pummel Iowa, remember 2021 and exact revenge. I hope we can make O$U in 2024 the White Out.

Both teams have to agree to a Primetime kickoff as B1G games are slotted for Noon or 3:30 kickoff. scUM routinely refuses to move game to a night Primetime kickoff when @TheBeav - that is why PSU never plays scUM in a Whiteout game.

Both teams have to agree to a Primetime kickoff as B1G games are slotted for Noon or 3:30 kickoff. scUM routinely refuses to move game to a night Primetime kickoff when @TheBeav - that is why PSU never plays scUM in a Whiteout game.

Wasn't the Hack to ARob game a White Out?

'17 and '19 as well.

Fox has been the issue more than anything IMO.

'17 and '19 as well.

2021 Game was a Noon Kick - pretty sure PSU wanted to make it the Whiteout Game and move it to a night Primetime Kick but scUM refused and prevented it from happening

Nonsense, in 2016 PSU played duhO$U in a 7:30pm Kick Whiteout Game in late October. That same year PSU played its next game against the Squawkeyes in a 7:30pm Primetime Kickoff on 11/5 @TheBeav. Full house for both.

Last edited:

'17 and '19 as well.

scUM lost both of those Primetime Whiteout games (got utterly blown out in 2017) - that is why they refused to let the 2021 game be moved to a Primetime Kick before the season when PSU was planning the Whiteout Game (PSU ultimately had to name the Auburn game as the Whiteout game - the first time since 2011 that the Whiteout opponent was not scUM or duhO$U).

Because scUM wouldn't agree to move the game to Primetime in pre-season FOX had first choice with their Noon Kickoff (PSU had named the game a "Student Whiteout" game and just prior to the game named it a second full Whiteout), but it absolutely was scUM, not FOX, that prevented it from being named a Primetime Whiteout before the season started by refusing to allow kickoff to be moved to Primetime.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
That’s not correct. First of all, that approval only applied to November games at night not any earlier in the season. Second of all, that rule has almost certainly gone away as of 2023 with NBC carrying night Big Ten games every week all season. They didnt pay a ton of money to allow teams to veto appearing at night and get leftover options.

That’s not correct. First of all, that approval only applied to November games at night not any earlier in the season. Second of all, that rule has almost certainly gone away as of 2023 with NBC carrying night Big Ten games every week all season. They didnt pay a ton of money to allow teams to veto appearing at night and get leftover options.

It hasn't disappeared and it is not incorrect - scUM preventing the 2021 game from being moved to Primetime is absolutely the reason why the 2021 PSU-scUM game was not named the Official Whiteout Game prior to the season start in 2021 (Auburn was named the Official 2021 Whiteout Game with a Primetime Kickoff prior to season - it was the first time in 10 years [2011] that duhO$U or scUM was not named the official pre-season Whiteout Opponent played in Primetime.).

It hasn't disappeared and it is not incorrect - scUM preventing the 2021 game from being moved to Primetime is absolutely the reason why the 2021 PSU-scUM game was not named the Official Whiteout Game prior to the season start in 2021 (Auburn was named the Official 2021 Whiteout Game with a Primetime Kickoff prior to season - it was the first time in 10 years [2011] that duhO$U or scUM was not named the official pre-season Whiteout Opponent played in Primetime.).
It’s a new TV contract this year and teams are no longer able to veto night games in November. I don’t deny that the rule existed in the previous contract.

Road teams had influence in November under the old agreements. It’s not completely clear (at least publicly) if that still applies.

If we had played Michigan in September or October in 2021, they wouldn’t have had a say in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctornick
I hope we stomp them into the dirt. I respect OSU as better program. I hate UM because they are arrogant when mostly similar to us. I despise Iowa, classless and putrid fan base with horrible chip on shoulder. I know it will be a tough game bc Hawk D is always good and CJF can get outcoached. Crowd will be ready
Two stout defenses. PSU offense should be servicible. Iowa offense is putrid. That will be the difference in the game. Iowa won't be able to overcome their offensive ineptitude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT