ADVERTISEMENT

Which Penn State FB player went on to have the best NFL career?

Gotta say Ham. I remember Chuck Noll saying after one Super Bowl season Ham graded out higher than any player he had ever seen.
Jack Ham retired as one of the greatest (top 3 consensus) outside linebackers in the history of the NFL. It is hard to argue that he shouldn't at least share the top spot. He was first team All-Pro 6 years and made 8 straight Pro Bowls. He had 53 takeaways - most in NFL history by a non-defensive back. His football intelligence is legendary. He just wasn't fooled by the opponent and was as sure a tackler without being a big hitter as you'll ever see. Pretty hard to top.

LINK: Jack Ham, Dick Butkus and LT linebackers on Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Team

He is also the only Penn Stater on the 75th Anniversary All-Time NFL Team - LINK

Just look at some of his tackling technique in this short video.

Last edited:
OK, as a huge Curt Warner fan, I have to agree he did not have the best NFL career of all Penn Staters.
That said, he was one of the top RBs in the NFL, both before and after tearing his knee up in the 1984 season opener. 1983 and 1986 AFC offensive player of the year (beat out Marino in 1983), and Pro Bowl in 83, 86, 87. He was 1st team All-Pro in 1987, three years after wrecking his knee. (How often did this happen back in the day?)
Who did the Hawks "take him over"? Dickerson was one pick ahead, and the other backs selected in Rd. 1 were Michael Haddix, Gary Anderson and James Jones (a fullback!).

Besides, if you go back and redraft a few years later, most every pick would change. (I think the Seahawks were quite happy with what they got.)

If you use 1983 as an example, would the Colts select a different QB (Marino/Kelly) rather than trying to placate baby Elway? And as far as sustained, year-in, year out greatness, would perhaps Bruce Matthews or Darrell Green go 1-2? And how many rounds earlier does Tom Brady go in 2000?

I don't understand this discussion. Athletic supporters for some other schools have already told us that Penn State does not put quality players in the NFL. So I thought this had been settled.

I'd pick Ham. While both Ham & Harris are in the HoF & have the rings, etc., I believe that Ham is still considered to be higher among all time lbs than Harris is among all time rbs. Hence ham made the 75th anniversary team while I doubt that Harris was even considered.

Curt Warner taking a pitch and running the sweep for the Seahawks was a thing of beauty. Got to the edge quickly, and his cutbacks were phenomenal. Can't take him over HoF'ers Ham and Franco, but Warner was frickin' great.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavic
If you want to go by Super Bowl rings, don't overlook Dick Hoak with five as a player and coach. He had 45 years in the NFL. Since criteria is best NFL career, he has to be in the running.

In my opinion it would be Franco Harris. Mostly because of the Super Bowl wins. I do not think any of the others had the Pro career (quality and quantity) plus the Super Bowl rings.
So, great on the field career, longevity, pro-bowls, super bowls AND hall of fame.
I believe that gives him a small edge. Plus, does Pittsburgh win all of those Super Bowls without him?

less we forget Jack Ham on those Steelers teams with Franco. If I am not mistake Millen has the most player rings of any Penn Stater and Dick Hoak has 5 as running back coach of the steelers.

If you want to go by Super Bowl rings, don't overlook Dick Hoak with five as a player and coach. He had 45 years in the NFL. Since criteria is best NFL career, he has to be in the running.

all were as coach

Couldn't disagree more. Warner was one of the top 3 - arguably top 2 - backs in the NFL before his knee injury. Unfortunately for his legacy, the injury came early on for him

There was noway at any point in his career he was better then Eric Dickerson..

I will say Ham or Harris as the best PSU FB player to have the best career. 4 SB each, HOF.

Last edited:
Kerry Collins. I think he had one of, if not thee, longest playing careers in the NFL for a PSU player. Something like 16 seasons.

I think Kerry even missed a few seasons riding benches due to various issues (i.e. in New Orleans). He was replaced in New York BEFORE there was ever a legit competition with Eli. Nothing against Manning, but it would not surprise me if when he retires, his yardage is actually LESS than Kerry. IF Kerry had been able to have all his seasons as true starter, his total yardage would have easily been top 10 QB of all time.

Since you said you can define "best" any way you want, I would say Franco. Like Jack, he made the Pro Football Hall Of Fame, but because of the "Immaculate Reception" he will be remembered by future generations long after Jack is forgotten.

I think it was Mean Joe Greene who said that the Steelers did not start winning until Franco got there. He was the player that got the freight train rolling. Injuries are part of football,but if Franco had not gotten hurt I remain convinced that the Steelers would have also won Super Bowl XI. That was the Steelers greatest team

Reactions: fairgambit
I'd pick Ham. While both Ham & Harris are in the HoF & have the rings, etc., I believe that Ham is still considered to be higher among all time lbs than Harris is among all time rbs. Hence ham made the 75th anniversary team while I doubt that Harris was even considered.

You are probably right about the perception, but that only means that Franco is vastly underrated. The Steelers never won a thing until Franco got there. That was no coincidence.

Curt Warner? I don't think he was really great in the NFL. Especially considering who they took him over.

Curt Warner had a very good NFL career that would have been great, had he not gotten hurt. He had an unbelievable rookie year and then he was hurt at the beginning of his 2nd year. He recovered to have some very good years after that, but was never the same.

Glad Redrock mentioned Tamba Hali and Cameron Wake!

Tamba will likely be inducted into the Hall of Fame. He has 80 career sacks, 30 forced fumbles, and 5 pro bowl nominations in his 9 year career. He should easily reach 100 sacks before he retires.

Cameron Wake is only entering his 7th NFL season but already has 63 career sacks.

If you asked Willie Davis that question....he would say Dave Robinson. What a combination of talent....Robinson and Davis....any wonder why no team wanted to run in their direction?

Well, Robbie "Solid" Gould is having one hell of a kicking career.....especially considering half his games are played on one of the worst conditioned fields and in one of the windiest NFL stadiums.

One of the rare examples of being a MUCH better professional player than a college player.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Best QB: Kerry Collins, however the OP didn't say graduated PSU players, so what about 2 time Super Bowl Champion and Pro-Bowler Jeff Hostetler

Sorry: I was looking for a technicality

Hoss is a WVU grad and listed as such

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT