ADVERTISEMENT

Which Penn State FB player went on to have the best NFL career?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
You can define "best" any way you want (longest career, most records set, most popular, best blocker, best RB, best LB, etc.).

Not sure it's so easy as Franco Harris would need to be considered.
Geez, that has to be a tie between Franco and Jack Ham. Starters on Multiple Super Bowl winners, HoF. Does it get any better than that? Also close: Matt Millen and Tom Rafferty.

Reactions: ralpieE and cavic
You can define "best" any way you want (longest career, most records set, most popular, best blocker, best RB, best LB, etc.).
Since you said you can define "best" any way you want, I would say Franco. Like Jack, he made the Pro Football Hall Of Fame, but because of the "Immaculate Reception" he will be remembered by future generations long after Jack is forgotten.

Reactions: m48tank
Robinson on the 1960's Green Bay Packers has to be considered.

Lenny Moore has to be considered.

Winner is Franco Harris.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

Kerry Collins. I think he had one of, if not thee, longest playing careers in the NFL for a PSU player. Something like 16 seasons.

What about Ted Kwalik, Rosey Greer, Lydel Mitchell, and even Curt Warner?
You did say you could define "best" any way you want, but it seems to me, if a player did not make the Pro Football Hall Of Fame, they should not be considered. That would limit the discussion to Jack Ham, Franco Harris, Mike Michalske, Lenny Moore, Mike Munchak, and Dave Robinson.

Geez, that has to be a tie between Franco and Jack Ham. Starters on Multiple Super Bowl winners, HoF. Does it get any better than that? Also close: Matt Millen and Tom Rafferty.

Let's not forget Mike Munchak.

As someone said below, with a handful of guys in Canton, probably ought to limit it to those guys.

Once you do that, to me it becomes rather easy.

ALL of those guys - obviously - had outstanding NFL careers:

But there is only one who - when you hear the name - you automatically recall one of the iconic moments in NFL history.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
In my opinion it would be Franco Harris. Mostly because of the Super Bowl wins. I do not think any of the others had the Pro career (quality and quantity) plus the Super Bowl rings.
So, great on the field career, longevity, pro-bowls, super bowls AND hall of fame.
I believe that gives him a small edge. Plus, does Pittsburgh win all of those Super Bowls without him?

In my opinion it would be Franco Harris. Mostly because of the Super Bowl wins. I do not think any of the others had the Pro career (quality and quantity) plus the Super Bowl rings.
So, great on the field career, longevity, pro-bowls, super bowls AND hall of fame.
I believe that gives him a small edge. Plus, does Pittsburgh win all of those Super Bowls without him?
Can't you say the same about Jack Ham? They played together on those Championship teams!

Reactions: WeR0206 and cavic

A couple not mentioned, but Lance Mehl and Mickey Shuler from the Jets were pretty good - I believe Mickey Shuler is still listed as a position player on the Jets "all-time team". Lenny Moore, Mike Munchack, Matt Millen and Mike Michalske (1920s but was something like an 8-time All Pro, named to the "All Decade NFL Team" of the 1920s and inducted to the NFL HOF) deserve mentioning.

I believe we have 3 who made the NFL HOF:
Lenny Moore
Jack Ham
Franco Harris

So I would take a crazy guess and say Lenny Moore or Jack Ham or Franco Harris.

Lenny Moore
Jack Ham
Franco Harris

You've forgotten Mike Munchak, Dave Robinson and Mike Michalske

Lenny Moore
Jack Ham
Franco Harris

Actually, Penn State has 6 players which have been inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame -- rather than list them, here is an article on all 6, see hotlink below:

Penn Staters in the NFL Hall of Fame

Another of the great non-HOFers in addition to those I've already listed is Rosey Grier.

Best QB: Kerry Collins, however the OP didn't say graduated PSU players, so what about 2 time Super Bowl Champion and Pro-Bowler Jeff Hostetler

Sorry: I was looking for a technicality

Ralph Baker I think should at least be in the discussion. Great career, 8 fewer INTs than HOF Dave Robinson so not too shabby. Not the best NFL career though, I would give Franco that nod personally.

Mike Munchak -- 11 years as a player, then 20 years as a coach.
Mike Munchak has to be in the discussion.
Steve Wisniewski 8 Pro bowls, 2x All NFL first team, made 1990s all decade team.
Should make the HOF. His career performance is definitely HOF worthy. Not the most popular player among his peers. His name always appeared on the list of dirtiest players during his career. He was one mean SOB. Tough and hard as nails. Just an animal on the field.

Steve Wisniewski 8 Pro bowls, 2x All NFL first team, made 1990s all decade team.
Should be, if not in the Hall, than much more in the conversation that he seems to be. I'd imagine his reputation holds him back

Curt Warner should be in the top few.
Great talent, great representative of the school, and it seemed he was on his way to a HOF career. As much as it was cut short, I think he'd be hard pressed to make the top ten. 6 HOF guys would have to eclipse him, S.Wiz, Millen, Kerry, Plum, Mehl, Hartings ... the list fills quickly

A lot of great Penn Stater's listed. Also Milt Plum and Rosie Grier could be considreed.
There have been many NFL greats, but I will officially give the nod to Franco Harris as the OP, and base it on reading everyone's comments! If you think of all the players mentioned, Franco has had the most illustrious career and stands out most. Honorable mentions to Jack Ham (who would likely agree with Franco as the choice) and Lenny Moore, and then the next group headed by Curt Warner, Dave Robinson, Mike Munchak, Ted Kwalik, Lydell Mitchell, Mike Reid, Rosie Grier, Matt Suhey (helped make the Sweet One be so sweet), Kerry Collins, Steve Wisniewski, Matt Millen, Bobby Ingram, OJ McDuffie and Matt (maybe even Chris) Bahr. Sorry if I left off any others who should be on this list such as Mike Michalske and Milt Plum (but I never saw them play).

Curt Warner? I don't think he was really great in the NFL. Especially considering who they took him over.

Kerry Collins. I think he had one of, if not thee, longest playing careers in the NFL for a PSU player. Something like 16 seasons.

18 years. Close to 41K yards. Steve Wisnieswski also impressive--8-time pro bowler; twice first-team all-pro. But I'd put Franco at the top.

Gotta say Ham. I remember Chuck Noll saying after one Super Bowl season Ham graded out higher than any player he had ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT