ADVERTISEMENT

Where's the divde between "friendly banter" & "poor sportmanship?"

I always thought the emoji used by the OP denoted laughing so hard that it brought tears to my eyes.
Maybe it does mean as you believe? I just thought with so many degrees of laughter depicted, the teary eyed one could denote the duality of emotions... just my interpretation, perhaps? I never saw schematics for emojis... lol

So here's the minor dilemma I am experiencing. I made exactly TWO posts on Facebook concerning the Pitt/Penn State football game this year, one beforehand and the other this morning... a respectful three days afterwards (in my mind). Having been raised in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh, many of my longtime real life friends are Pitt alumni and fans so every year there has always been mostly friendly banter amongst us... until THIS year. Suddenly I have been called-out for displaying "poor sportsmanship." Perhaps I am and I am not aware, so I would like to know your opinion so that I may apologize IF indeed I have stepped over the boundary of decency.

My first post which went by without complaint consisted of a link to an accuweather flood alert for the Pittsburgh area, and my commenting as to whether this was an early reaction of Pitt Football fans crying in their beers already. A couple Pitt fans even recognized the humor in my post and acknowledged with a laughing emoji. SINCE the game was such a blowout, I initially thought it was best to not comment about the game's aftermath. However when I woke up early today I notice some photos of the flooded Pittsburgh point posted by The Stash (I think), and decided that a couple made for what I thought was being a "cleaver" follow-up on my original Pitt/Penn State post. Along with the two flood photos, I posted the following caption:

"Armchair Quarterback's analysis of Penn State's 51 to 6 drowning of PITT this past weekend. The photos below of Pittsburgh's famous point awash in the aftermath of defeat gives further proof that the over century-old football rivalry between these Interstate foes has literally become a WASHOUT...
1f602.png
" (*note that I even used the "happy/sad" emoji as does invoke mixed feelings)

Immediately one of my Pitt Fans recognizes the rivalry humor and adds the following comment, "Tears of Pitt and Steelers fans overflow the Allegheny and Monongahela!" Fine, he gets it!

BUT then I get the "wet towel" thrown at me by a "girl" that I've been friends with for 45 years now. Her initial comment was, "We Pittsburghers are made of much tougher stuff than that....there is always next week. We are good losers, be a good winner.…." WTF???!!! I think she was being WAY over sensitive. We exchanged a few pointed jabs, then she withdrew claiming respectful silence for 911.

For the life of me, I do not think my two posts were going over the bounds of good taste... I thought I was being clever working with the props that Mother Nature provided...

AFTER further thought, I MIGHT have discovered the root cause of my former(?) friend's sensitivity about this matter - she is employed by the University of Pittsburgh as a financial analyst. Who would know better the loss Pitt will incur by Penn State's refusal to renew their football rivalry.

WHATCHA thoughts???

Oh... and she did just "de-friend" me on Facebook after I called her out in a Facebook private message for removing from her profile that she was employed by Pitt as a financial analyst and lying about it in her reply to me. Too funny... UNLESS I am the butthead... :-(
Once you kept replying your fate was sealed. Top it off with the private message it got a bit over the top IMO as she clearly didn’t get your intended humor.

I grew up when you smacked your opponent in the mouth for 60 minutes, kept your mouth shut, then congratulated him after the game. I am no fan of trash talking in any way, shape or form. It is demeaning to the game and the spirit of the game. I know that the world has left be behind in that regard and its a big reason why my interest in sports has greatly diminished. I loved hearing, BTW, Sanders thanking his OL on national TV after the Pitt game and my fondness for him has greatly improved (he always seems quiet to the point of being aloof but I don't feel that way anymore).

Two good friends busting each other's balls during a friendly? OK, I can tolerate that. But I can't stand fans bad mouthing (like tOSU/Browns fans are substantially different from PA football fans). You prepare, you play the game, you improve as a person by the lessons learned, and you do it again the next week. To me, that is the spirit behind basic blues, black shoes, and no names.

A pretty fair analogy and I understand the sentiment that you are conveying. However there is a slight distinction that I believe skews your perspective a bit. The Pitt/Penn State rivalry has been much more competitive over the years compared to that of Cal versus USC. Pitt was the dominant opponent during the early years, and still has been quite formidable in recent years. Penn State only leads the series 52–43–4. Heck, the rivalry is tied 2 to 2 this century! Pitt has always been a foe to be respected, UNTIL this past weekend...

When it has become very apparent that there has become a serious divergence in the "quality of product" being fielded, and the understanding this situation will not be rectified in the foreseeable future. Pitt simply cannot afford the "arms race" for college football elitism. Whereas Penn State is gearing-up to the task.

I do think it is sad to let go of the Pitt/Penn State rivalry, but it has finally become the economic reality of the situation. And we all know $$$ talks...
I would definitely agree that, if the two teams kept playing annually, the record would start to get pretty lopsided in PSU's favor. The money aspect of it is also a meaningful factor. Lastly, they are not conference rivals. Still, the emotion displayed by players, coaches and fans on both sides suggests that they should continue to play each other at least occasionally.

Reactions: PSUfiji
I grew up when you smacked your opponent in the mouth for 60 minutes, kept your mouth shut, then congratulated him after the game. I am no fan of trash talking in any way, shape or form. It is demeaning to the game and the spirit of the game. I know that the world has left be behind in that regard and its a big reason why my interest in sports has greatly diminished. I loved hearing, BTW, Sanders thanking his OL on national TV after the Pitt game and my fondness for him has greatly improved (he always seems quiet to the point of being aloof but I don't feel that way anymore).

Two good friends busting each other's balls during a friendly? OK, I can tolerate that. But I can't stand fans bad mouthing (like tOSU/Browns fans are substantially different from PA football fans). You prepare, you play the game, you improve as a person by the lessons learned, and you do it again the next week. To me, that is the spirit behind basic blues, black shoes, and no names.
One of most stupid statements I have heard all the years I have been on this board. Thanks for your uninformed insight. Maybe people can be both Penn State and Browns fans. I can tell you that a lot of Steelers and Browns fans are cut from the same cloth.

It
So here's the minor dilemma I am experiencing. I made exactly TWO posts on Facebook concerning the Pitt/Penn State football game this year, one beforehand and the other this morning... a respectful three days afterwards (in my mind). Having been raised in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh, many of my longtime real life friends are Pitt alumni and fans so every year there has always been mostly friendly banter amongst us... until THIS year. Suddenly I have been called-out for displaying "poor sportsmanship." Perhaps I am and I am not aware, so I would like to know your opinion so that I may apologize IF indeed I have stepped over the boundary of decency.

My first post which went by without complaint consisted of a link to an accuweather flood alert for the Pittsburgh area, and my commenting as to whether this was an early reaction of Pitt Football fans crying in their beers already. A couple Pitt fans even recognized the humor in my post and acknowledged with a laughing emoji. SINCE the game was such a blowout, I initially thought it was best to not comment about the game's aftermath. However when I woke up early today I notice some photos of the flooded Pittsburgh point posted by The Stash (I think), and decided that a couple made for what I thought was being a "cleaver" follow-up on my original Pitt/Penn State post. Along with the two flood photos, I posted the following caption:

"Armchair Quarterback's analysis of Penn State's 51 to 6 drowning of PITT this past weekend. The photos below of Pittsburgh's famous point awash in the aftermath of defeat gives further proof that the over century-old football rivalry between these Interstate foes has literally become a WASHOUT...
1f602.png

Immediately one of my Pitt Fans recognizes the rivalry humor and adds the following comment, "Tears of Pitt and Steelers fans overflow the Allegheny and Monongahela!" Fine, he gets it!

BUT then I get the "wet towel" thrown at me by a "girl" that I've been friends with for 45 years now. Her initial comment was, "We Pittsburghers are made of much tougher stuff than that....there is always next week. We are good losers, be a good winner.…." WTF???!!! I think she was being WAY over sensitive. We exchanged a few pointed jabs, then she withdrew claiming respectful silence for 911.

For the life of me, I do not think my two posts were going over the bounds of good taste... I thought I was being clever working with the props that Mother Nature provided...

AFTER further thought, I MIGHT have discovered the root cause of my former(?) friend's sensitivity about this matter - she is employed by the University of Pittsburgh as a financial analyst. Who would know better the loss Pitt will incur by Penn State's refusal to renew their football rivalry.

WHATCHA thoughts???

Oh... and she did just "de-friend" me on Facebook after I called her out in a Facebook private message for removing from her profile that she was employed by Pitt as a financial analyst and lying about it in her reply to me. Too funny... UNLESS I am the butthead... :-(

It really is her problem, not yours.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
One of most stupid statements I have heard all the years I have been on this board. Thanks for your uninformed insight. Maybe people can be both Penn State and Browns fans. I can tell you that a lot of Steelers and Browns fans are cut from the same cloth.
I have no idea of your point. Rereading this, I think I see what happened. I meant to make the point that they are the same or similar people. Not that they are different people. As such, I don't understand the badmouthing when cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh have so much in common. I've lived in or near both cities and love both places.

1f602.png

WHATCHA thoughts???

I think you misjudged your friendship.

she already didn't like you for some reason and now its coming out....sniping back and forth in private messages tipped it over the boiling point to where she fled the field
Fled the field like Pitt fans fled the stadium Saturday night!

Those two topics (politics and sports) are far and away the two most touchy subjects to post about on social media. My one SIL has unfriended me, twice, for replies on some of her political posts. I completely avoid political posts and try to be very careful on sports posts that may piss off the thin skinned.

To the OP, I have posted this picture many times but maybe your Pitt finance friend can explain why PSU needs the "rivalry" as much as Pitt?!
39509061_10204742640922485_2705799864284872704_o.jpg
COMPLETELY agree on the political crap. I have one, I'll call her a "connection", on facebook that continually posts laughably fake nonsense. It's almost worth keeping the connection just for the comedy value. I am able to restrain myself and not react, but it is often a struggle.

Human nature dictates that if I know and like the person, it's friendly banter. If I don't, then they crossed the line. So if she feels you crossed the line, she must not like you too much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT