ADVERTISEMENT

Where does this rank in the worst blown leads during the Franklin era?

Sooner Lion

Nov 10, 2003
Top five are listed below. I have it at number one.

1. 2020 Indiana. Need I say more. Indiana 36 PSU 35
2. 2018 Ohio State. Up 26-14 midway thru the 4th quarter. PSU defense gets burned on two straight possessions. Then PSU runs the ball on 4th and five in the final possession. Ohio State 27 PSU 26.
3. 2017 Ohio State. Ohio State outscores PSU 19-3 in the 4th quarter to win 39-38.
4. 2016 USC. Up 49-35 midway thru the 4th quarter, USC scores 17 unanswered points to win 52-49.
5. 2014 Maryland. Up 19-17 in the 4th, PSU gets conservative on offense. Maryland kicks the game winning FG with 51 seconds left.

Facts do not lie. No lead is safe!

2. 2018 Ohio State. Up 26-14 midway thru the 4th quarter. PSU defense gets burned on two straight possessions. Then PSU runs the ball on 4th and five in the final possession. Ohio State 27 PSU 26.
3. 2017 Ohio State. Ohio State outscores PSU 19-3 in the 4th quarter to win 39-38.
4. 2016 USC. Up 49-35 midway thru the 4th quarter, USC scores 17 unanswered points to win 52-49.
5. 2014 Maryland. Up 19-17 in the 4th, PSU gets conservative on offense. Maryland kicks the game winning FG with 51 seconds left.

It’s the worst because they were the worst opponent and we have talent on the roster unlike 2014. Sad we have this many to choose from (and you left off the two MSU games).

I remember CJF’s last game as Vanderbilt coach, the compass bowl, Vandy blew a 24 pt lead in the 3rd qtr and allowed 24 unanswered points before ultimately pulling it out. Not on your list was the 2017 Nebraska game where PSU was up 42-10 at halftime and allowed 34 points in the second half To make the game much closer than it should’ve been. This is a disturbing trend under CJF.

Remember these? Did they talk about firing Dabo or did they all just pray more?

Bellicheat just got blown out and said it was his worst loss in 21 years. Fire his ass?

I love when posters put words in the mouth of other posters. Real quick. Make a list of 4th quarter blown leads for both Clemson and NE Patriots over the last five years. I can't wait to see your list.

Reactions: ftlpsu
2017 at OSU was worse. This Indiana one happened during the weird Coronavirus season that nobody will remember.

2017 at OSU was worse. This Indiana one happened during the weird Coronavirus season that nobody will remember.
Agreed. This season is too surreal and weird to care much about it. They played like total garbage on the road with no tune up games, against a team with a lot of retruning starters that went 8-5 last year- and still almost won. They doubled them in yards. Oh- and they lost their best defensive and offensive players in Parsons and Brown. The end was a joke, but its not a shock.

Will Ohio State smoke them? Probably- but who cares. It'll be over quick.

Thanks for making my point.Pry’s defense consistently fails with the game on the line.

Bellicheat just got blown out and said it was his worst loss in 21 years. Fire his ass?

Yes. That’s the sentiment. Be perfect or face the executioner.

1. I would say the 2 OSU losses are a 1 and 1a....whatr is on the line with that game is in fact a game changer....playoffs, recruits, just a ton makes them 1 and 1a.

2. USC in Rose Bowl....again, national stage and what that does for the brand.

3. Indiana 2020....no excuse that you don't have a single person screaming to take a knee.

4. Are there some late Michigan State games I could put in here?

It is alarming how many comebacks this staff has given up since their arrival.

This ranks as one of the worst losses in football history. The game was won. Play that game 1000 times and do the right thing, not score, and you win 1000 times.

I rarely if ever blame the coaches but this one is 100% on the coaches.

Yes, the team played poorly but did enough to overcome that and win. The coaches job is to put them in the best possible position to win. They failed miserably at the end.

I'm not one to say fire Franklin but I think he needs to take responsibility and tell the team that. I wish he had done that more profusely at the post game news conference. I was a little disappointed in him there.

1. I would say the 2 OSU losses are a 1 and 1a....whatr is on the line with that game is in fact a game changer....playoffs, recruits, just a ton makes them 1 and 1a.

3. Indiana 2020....no excuse that you don't have a single person screaming to take a knee.

#1 is exactly right because who knows what could have changed in the world if we walk out of those two games with Ws maybe the MSU loses dont happen because the team is flying high and not disappointed from the heart breaking loses. Maybe we swing some big recruits because we are the 3x division champs and maybe 3x conference champs in a row. Likely would have a CFP appearance or two in those years as well.

This ranks as one of the worst losses in football history. The game was won. Play that game 1000 times and do the right thing, not score, and you win 1000 times.

Yes, the team played poorly but did enough to overcome that and win. The coaches job is to put them in the best possible position to win. They failed miserably at the end.

I'm not one to say fire Franklin but I think he needs to take responsibility and tell the team that. I wish he had done that more profusely at the post game news conference. I was a little disappointed in him there.
Agree. This was the worst loss because we did it to ourselves. How you don’t emphasize to the team that IU wants us to score and they will lay down and let you waltz in...is MIND BOGGLING. Coaches should apologize to Ford and the team.

Reactions: MacNit07
I am waiting for a game where the roles are reverse with a similar situation and that team just knees it and kicks the FG and leaves us with like 20 seconds to go 80 yards

Wow. Ok. A loss to Indiana in a pandemic shortened season is one of the worse losses in 100 year history of football. Are you including pro also. Lol. You are truly the drama queen

Remember in the minds of our fans, a loss where we were winning counts for more than if we were losing.

If the scoring goes
0-7
7-7
7-14
7-17
7-24
14-24
21-24 final, that's a good loss. Awesome comeback effort.

If it goes
7-0
14-0
14-7
21-7
21-14
21-21
21-24 final, that's a bad loss. Coaches are idiots for blowing the lead.

What about the Rose Bowl against USC? That one was horrible!

Well there was the MSU game where an All Big Ten DB drops a game clinching pick and then gets burned for the game losing TD. But I am sure that will be blamed on Franklin too.

Reactions: TheGLOV

That Maryland game was brutal. IIRC correctly PSU had the ball inside their own 15 yd line with 3:00 to go. Three straight runs by Lynch followed by a punt that gave MD possession inside the 50 yd line.

A 1st down would have sealed that game but instead we gave MD great field position and they only needed one 1st down to kick the winning FG. MD's FG kicker was all conference and we pretty much handed it to them.

I recall a Northwestern game where we did something similar.

Franklin chokes under pressure.

Well there was the MSU game where an All Big Ten DB drops a game clinching pick and then gets burned for the game losing TD. But I am sure that will be blamed on Franklin too.

No, can't blame him for that one....although JFF himself says that no game is won or lost on one play. The two losses to Michigan State shouldn't have even been close games.

Reactions: psu2016
This was the worst loss, IMO, because the team made so many mistakes, including dumb penalties. Offense, defense and special teams are all to blame. It sucks that our third string RB didn't get the message not to score, but it should have never come down to that. This was the worst prepared PSU team I've ever seen and that's on the coaches. And with all of that, we still needed the refs to blow a call to lose. PSU should have won going away!

This was the worst loss, IMO, because the team made so many mistakes, including dumb penalties. Offense, defense and special teams are all to blame. It sucks that our third string RB didn't get the message not to score, but it should have never come down to that. This was the worst prepared PSU team I've ever seen and that's on the coaches. And with all of that, we still needed the refs to blow a call to lose. PSU should have won going away!

They blew two calls - the facemask and the two point conversion (though I don't blame them for not overturning). They probably could have called Wade for some kind of illegal hit/targeting on a critical third down stop, so we got one too. Not taking a knee is the critical play if you allow for three missed FGs.

Reactions: indynittany
This is top 5 all time, regardless of coach. Franklin’s overall record versus the Ohio and Michigan teams will be his legacy unfortunately.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
This game falls solely on Franklin. It was won even though we had a less than stellar performance. With 142 and the lead, JF is unable to comprehend simple clock management. He is an idiot

Reactions: TheGLOV
I wonder how many times I'll read the excuse on the board that it's a pandemic-shortened season and we didn't have spring practice or enough of a training camp or non-con cupcake games to get ready. Um, guess what? Ohio State had similar circumstances. So did Michigan (with a first-time starter at QB to boot) and so did *Rutgers* but they all found ways to overcome those circumstances to win on Saturday. Just because PSU came out and laid eggs all over Bloomington and looked very disjointed at times doesn't mean we can just toss out the tired excuse of being affected by the Covid.

Reactions: MacNit07

Pry’s prevent “win” defense is also to blame. Remember big game James is 9-14 vs. ranked teams with only 1 win on the road vs. Iowa last year. He is also 5-13 vs. O$U, UM, and MSU.

Pry’s prevent “win” defense is also to blame. Remember big game James is 9-14 vs. ranked teams with only 1 win on the road vs. Iowa last year. He is also 5-13 vs. O$U, UM, and MSU.
That 5-13 record is the crusher. Michigan has been in down years most of that time. MIchigan State losses have been horrible. The Ohio State losses hurt the worst b/c 2 of them should have been wins. And the QB who killed us was once committed to us. I don't expect to dominate OSU, but we should play them straight up and win 50 percent of those. Michigan State should be a rare loss. Michigan can't get out of their own way and we still can't go there and consistently win. Frustrating.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
That 5-13 record is the crusher. Michigan has been in down years most of that time. MIchigan State losses have been horrible. The Ohio State losses hurt the worst b/c 2 of them should have been wins. And the QB who killed us was once committed to us. I don't expect to dominate OSU, but we should play them straight up and win 50 percent of those. Michigan State should be a rare loss. Michigan can't get out of their own way and we still can't go there and consistently win. Frustrating.
I would love to win 50% vs OSU but I don’t see it over the next 3-4 years unless recruiting gets much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT