ADVERTISEMENT

Where Does PiT Go?

Well, we need someone to scrimmage against during the week. Why risk our players?

I can't envision a world where all of the major football powers are in two conferences, the SEC and BIG; yet, they allow the little guys a chance at the big prize. Cincinnati was an outstider a couple years ago. TCU to a lesser extent, even though they won the first round. The big boys don't want those teams with a chance at the end.

I can't envision a world where all of the major football powers are in two conferences, the SEC and BIG; yet, they allow the little guys a chance at the big prize. Cincinnati was an outstider a couple years ago. TCU to a lesser extent, even though they won the first round. The big boys don't want those teams with a chance at the end.
I agree. But at some point, programs have to sustain. A 30,000 seat stadium and limited TV exposure is going to result in teams paying the price. We see programs come and go like SMU, Iowa State, Washington State, Washington, TCU, Boise State, etc. They are like the Pirates and KC Royals. Then you have the big boys in AL, GA, PSU, UM, tOSU, OK, TX, FL, FL St. who may have an off year here and there but always are in the top 20. As a result, they get a huge following which means cash. That cash is reinvested. And that program sustains. What saved PSU after JS was 100,000 schmucks kept coming to games, driving revenue in the form of seats, parking, food, and advertising.

My point is that you are going to see an elite football college league or two. The rest will either be cannon fodder (like the MAC to get a payout) or drop off to a secondary league. I can see a program like Soccer where teams get relegated if they don't keep up.

I agree. But at some point, programs have to sustain. A 30,000 seat stadium and limited TV exposure is going to result in teams paying the price. We see programs come and go like SMU, Iowa State, Washington State, Washington, TCU, Boise State, etc. They are like the Pirates and KC Royals. Then you have the big boys in AL, GA, PSU, UM, tOSU, OK, TX, FL, FL St. who may have an off year here and there but always are in the top 20. As a result, they get a huge following which means cash. That cash is reinvested. And that program sustains. What saved PSU after JS was 100,000 schmucks kept coming to games, driving revenue in the form of seats, parking, food, and advertising.

My point is that you are going to see an elite football college league or two. The rest will either be cannon fodder (like the MAC to get a payout) or drop off to a secondary league. I can see a program like Soccer where teams get relegated if they don't keep up.
Your analogy of major league baseball to college football is a good one. The big boys (Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, etc.) in baseball are tired of funneling free money to the have nots (like the Pirates, Royals, A's, etc.).

In college football people attend games and watch on TV to see the big boys (Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, etc.). The big boys are tired of funneling money to the have nots (pitters, Wake Forest, Arizona, MAC schools, etc.). Thus, just like in baseball, the big boys are going to take their money and let the have nots twist in the wind.

Reactions: Obliviax
Your analogy of major league baseball to college football is a good one. The big boys (Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Braves, etc.) in baseball are tired of funneling free money to the have nots (like the Pirates, Royals, A's, etc.).

In college football people attend games and watch on TV to see the big boys (Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, etc.). The big boys are tired of funneling money to the have nots (pitters, Wake Forest, Arizona, MAC schools, etc.). Thus, just like in baseball, the big boys are going to take their money and let the have nots twist in the wind.
my only comment is to your first paragraph. I think the "big boys" in baseball love the small market teams. They end up becoming AAAA farm systems. The best players learn their craft in CLE, PITT or KC and then free agent it out to NY, Boston, LA, Houston or SFO. They pay the small market teams enough to keep them sustainable while they win championships and increase their franchise values deep into the Billions based on stadiums being built on govt money.

MLB has let the players dictate a much more open free agent system by not incorporating a hard salary cap (like the NBA and NFL was done). The NBA and NFL came to the conclusion that there is a larger pot of money if all of the teams have a chance to be competitive regardless of their market. More players benefit. Take the Mets paying Lindor $250m. With a hard cap, the Mets would have paid five players $50m instead of one for $250m. Five players benefit as does the entire league.

Ideally college football becomes 3 levels at D1

my only comment is to your first paragraph. I think the "big boys" in baseball love the small market teams. They end up becoming AAAA farm systems. The best players learn their craft in CLE, PITT or KC and then free agent it out to NY, Boston, LA, Houston or SFO. They pay the small market teams enough to keep them sustainable while they win championships and increase their franchise values deep into the Billions based on stadiums being built on govt money.

MLB has let the players dictate a much more open free agent system by not incorporating a hard salary cap (like the NBA and NFL was done). The NBA and NFL came to the conclusion that there is a larger pot of money if all of the teams have a chance to be competitive regardless of their market. More players benefit. Take the Mets paying Lindor $250m. With a hard cap, the Mets would have paid five players $50m instead of one for $250m. Five players benefit as does the entire league.
The small markets are the ones that don't want a cap because there would be a floor

Reactions: bison13

You left out the turd hole Boise.

Way back I used to watch PSU games with my uncle and when things went south my aunt would get a big kick out of saying PSU will be going to the toilet bowl.

"Flush the Pitt" tee-shirts... (with a pic of The Nittany Lion Mascot sitting on the throne taking a pitt).

Reactions: joeaubie21
If I had to guess, I’d say we’re most likely going to be invited to the Big 12, along with Louisville. We’re pretty competitive across all sports and our academic/research profile would give the conference a boost.

I say most likely because, assuming the Big 12 also invites the Pac-12’s four corner schools, things would get interesting if Miami, NC State, or Georgia Tech don’t receive anything from the Big Ten/SEC.

Reactions: NedFromYork
If I had to guess, I’d say we’re most likely going to be invited to the Big 12, along with Louisville. We’re pretty competitive across all sports and our academic/research profile would give the conference a boost.

I say most likely because, assuming the Big 12 also invites the Pac-12’s four corner schools, things would get interesting if Miami, NC State, or Georgia Tech don’t receive anything from the Big Ten/SEC.
You may be right but there’s still a lot of variables. It all depends on which conference folds first.

The Big 12 currently has 12 members (or will when the 4 recent additions officially join). It’s no secret they are after the 4 corners schools which would put them at 16. The PAC wildcards are Oregon and Washington. If they don’t get a Big Ten invite they’ll take them too. That puts them at 18. I don’t think they’d go too far over 20 for finances.

If the ACC falls next, I assume ND, UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, and Miami get split between the Big Ten and SEC.

That leaves Pitt, NC St, VA Tech, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Syracuse, BC, Wake Forest, and Duke, (as well as Stanford, Cal, Wazzu, and Oregon St), in a game of musical chairs to see who gets the last 2-6 (?) spots.

I assume VA Tech and Duke will go first, (the Big 12 is more bball focused and Kansas will push Duke). After that, if they even take anymore, I’d think Pitt and NC St are next out of that group (unless Kansas pushes Syracuse/ Louisville/ Wake for bball).

There’s just so many unknowns in this mess. Even if the ACC and PAC survive at the end of the process, it’s years of destabilizing rumors and worry for a lot of universities. I’d hate to be one of those ADs or coaches trying to navigate this.

Am I wrong to want FSU in the BIG?

Arguably a blue blood, gets BIG in Florida. I’m sure there are other good reasons.
I’m with you. I’m not a fan of the conferences imploding. I don’t think it’s good for college sports. That said, if it happens, I’d have FSU at the top of the list. Add Notre Dame, Washington, and Miami or Oregon and call it a day.

You may be right but there’s still a lot of variables. It all depends on which conference folds first.

The Big 12 currently has 12 members (or will when the 4 recent additions officially join). It’s no secret they are after the 4 corners schools which would put them at 16. The PAC wildcards are Oregon and Washington. If they don’t get a Big Ten invite they’ll take them too. That puts them at 18. I don’t think they’d go too far over 20 for finances.

If the ACC falls next, I assume ND, UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, and Miami get split between the Big Ten and SEC.

That leaves Pitt, NC St, VA Tech, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Syracuse, BC, Wake Forest, and Duke, (as well as Stanford, Cal, Wazzu, and Oregon St), in a game of musical chairs to see who gets the last 2-6 (?) spots.

I assume VA Tech and Duke will go first, (the Big 12 is more bball focused and Kansas will push Duke). After that, if they even take anymore, I’d think Pitt and NC St are next out of that group (unless Kansas pushes Syracuse/ Louisville/ Wake for bball).

There’s just so many unknowns in this mess. Even if the ACC and PAC survive at the end of the process, it’s years of destabilizing rumors and worry for a lot of universities. I’d hate to be one of those ADs or coaches trying to navigate this.
If we’re being honest, this would never happen, but I’d love for us, Boston College, and Syracuse to reunite with the original Big East schools

- Boston College
- Georgetown
- Pitt
- Providence
- Seton Hall
- St. John’s
- Syracuse
- UConn
- Villanova

Assuming Duke doesn’t get into the Big Ten or SEC, I’d invite them as well and create some sort of scheduling pact for football. If we’re going to get left behind for football, at least let us return to our roots in the Big East.

Reactions: psu00
If we’re being honest, this would never happen, but I’d love for us, Boston College, and Syracuse to reunite with the original Big East schools

- Boston College
- Georgetown
- Pitt
- Providence
- Seton Hall
- St. John’s
- Syracuse
- UConn
- Villanova

Assuming Duke doesn’t get into the Big Ten or SEC, I’d invite them as well and create some sort of scheduling pact for football. If we’re going to get left behind for football, at least let us return to our roots in the Big East.
I have to admit the old Big East was the best basketball by far. There were just a ton of great matchups and rivalries and the type of play was much more exciting than now. I can’t stand the infamous Duke flopping that we see too much of now.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725

Which helps both segments. The big boys get to keep more of the money they are earning and the little schools play in a league with far more parity and more legitimate odds to win championships every now and then with experienced rosters and good coaching.

Which helps both segments. The big boys get to keep more of the money they are earning and the little schools play in a league with far more parity and more legitimate odds to win championships every now and then with experienced rosters and good coaching.
Yep. It is a win-win. Schools like Penn State will get to play teams like Georgia, Alabama, etc. more often and schools like the pitters will get to play teams of their caliber like Duquesne, Point Park, Youngstown State, etc.

Pitt has always been an interesting enigma to me. It is a very good university located in PA who we really no longer play and don't really recruit against (much).

But when I look at their football superstars versus ours, I can really only think of one true NFL superstar from PSU and that is Franco. yet, Franco did not have the best college career having played second fiddle to Lydell.

But when you look at Pitt's players that went on to NFL stardom you include some of the all-time greats like Marino, Dorsette, larry Fitzgerald, Craig Heyward, Aaron Donald, Hugh Green, Mike Ditka, and Bil Fralic.

yet, our record against them is very clean.

Penn Staters in NFL Hall of Fame: Jack Ham , Franco Harris , Mike Michalske , Lenny Moore , Mike Munchak , Dave Robinson

Mike Reid would likely have been a Hall of Famer if he hadn't (wisely) opted for a music career.
Solid list. Pitt has ten

1. Darrelle Revis goes in this year
  2. Jimbo Covert
  3. Mike Ditka
  4. Chris Doleman
  5. Tony Dorsett
  6. Russ Grimm
  7. Rickey Jackson
  8. Dan Marino
  9. Curtis Martin
  10. Joe Schmidt

I think that Larry Fitzgerald and Aaron Donald are sure-fire HoFers as well. For PSU maybe Micah and Saqonn but they've both got a long way to go. (meaning not sure-fire)

Titans Clash - #28 - John Mackey vs. Mike Ditka?​

5/31/14-Author: Tali
JM&MD.png
John Mackey (source: sumagazine.syr.edu )

Solid list. Pitt has ten

2. Jimbo Covert
  3. Mike Ditka
  4. Chris Doleman
  5. Tony Dorsett
  6. Russ Grimm
  7. Rickey Jackson
  8. Dan Marino
  9. Curtis Martin
  10. Joe Schmidt

I think that Larry Fitzgerald and Aaron Donald are sure-fire HoFers as well. For PSU maybe Micah and Saqonn but they've both got a long way to go. (meaning not sure-fire)
PSU has to be one of the most "productive" pipelines to the NFL though. Last I looked we were number 5 in accumulated rushing yards in the NFL. That, I believe is pre-Saquon and Sanders. We have quality and quantity.

Pitt has always been an interesting enigma to me. It is a very good university located in PA who we really no longer play and don't really recruit against (much).

But when I look at their football superstars versus ours, I can really only think of one true NFL superstar from PSU and that is Franco. yet, Franco did not have the best college career having played second fiddle to Lydell.

But when you look at Pitt's players that went on to NFL stardom you include some of the all-time greats like Marino, Dorsette, larry Fitzgerald, Craig Heyward, Aaron Donald, Hugh Green, Mike Ditka, and Bil Fralic.

yet, our record against them is very clean.
It’s the ultimate team game. Pitt has always promoted stars over teams.

What it they went to 24 with 3 regions--almost 3 mini conferences operating together.

East: Cincinnati, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pitt, UCF, Wake Forest and West Virginia

Central: Baylor, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech

West: Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Cal, Colorado, Oregon State, Stanford and Oregon

10 conference games--6 against your division/region and 2 against the others. That's infinitely better than what they're going to have elsewhere.

I do think NC State gets in the SEC if the ACC splits so I didn't include them. Syracuse, BC and Washington State are the teams I think could be in trouble.

I agree that PITT will eventually end up in the larger Big XII which is a very competitive league.

PSU has to be one of the most "productive" pipelines to the NFL though. Last I looked we were number 5 in accumulated rushing yards in the NFL. That, I believe is pre-Saquon and Sanders. We have quality and quantity.
Good to hear. In 2020, Penn State was sixth so must be the Barkley and Sanders effect.

Solid list. Pitt has ten

2. Jimbo Covert
  3. Mike Ditka
  4. Chris Doleman
  5. Tony Dorsett
  6. Russ Grimm
  7. Rickey Jackson
  8. Dan Marino
  9. Curtis Martin
  10. Joe Schmidt

PSU you should have 8 with Steve Wisniewski and Cameron Wake but who knows if they will ever get in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT