ADVERTISEMENT

What book(s) are you currently reading?

51dED8cF4IL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Bobby Kennedy A Raging Spirit by Chris Matthews

I finished this book last night. (It was time for a break from Rev War history books.)

It was pretty good. I'd rate Evan Thomas's Robert Kennedy: His Life, and Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.'s Robert Kennedy and His Times, as better books about RFK, as they were more complete/more thorough takes on the subject. Chris Matthews doesn't seem to be trying to compete with those books. That said, he does write about most of RFK's life, from his childhood to his death. He just doesn't go as in depth in every aspect as do the two other books I mentioned.

@fairgambit, you might enjoy this book, as it does talk a good deal about the 1968 Democratic Primary campaign, and the struggles between the backers of Bobby and the backers of Sen. Gene McCarthy -- something you personally experienced.

Richard Goodwin, who worked for JFK, LBJ, Eugene McCarthy, and wanted Bobby to run, just died recently.
He wrote "Remembering America, a Voice from the Sixties"... a very enjoyable book.
He also was Congressional investigator in quiz show scandals...played by Rob Morrow in the movie "Quiz Show.

51dED8cF4IL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished this book last night. (It was time for a break from Rev War history books.)

It was pretty good. I'd rate Evan Thomas's Robert Kennedy: His Life, and Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.'s Robert Kennedy and His Times, as better books about RFK, as they were more complete/more thorough takes on the subject. Chris Matthews doesn't seem to be trying to compete with those books. That said, he does write about most of RFK's life, from his childhood to his death. He just doesn't go as in depth in every aspect as do the two other books I mentioned.

@fairgambit, you might enjoy this book, as it does talk a good deal about the 1968 Democratic Primary campaign, and the struggles between the backers of Bobby and the backers of Sen. Gene McCarthy -- something you personally experienced.
The only problem with the Schlesinger book is that Schlesinger loved RFK. You need distance to write good biography, I always say.

Reactions: john4psu
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Brings to mind Twain’s definition of “classic”- a book that is oft admired but should be seldom read. Painful.

That reminds me of a Christopher Hitchens line that went "Everybody has got a book in them
and that, in most cases, is where it should stay."

ETA: I found the video of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodpecker
I finally finished War of Two, Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr, and the Duel That Stunned The Nation, by John Sedgwick. I started it 2 years ago, picked it up later that year and read some more. Alas, I haven't returned to where the book was located until earlier this week, so I've been biding my time, and looking forward to completing the book.

While I've read a great deal about Hamilton, I've kind of avoided reading too much about Burr, as I always found him such an ugly character. John Sedgwick does a great job of going into detail on both characters. In fact, it's almost as though the book is two biographies -- one of Hamilton and one of Burr -- but instead of set up that way, Sedgwick writes about each in parallel. This really gives the reader a great insight into the lives of both men, and how then ended up in their infamous dual.

The book is long (hardback version is 408 pages just to get to the Acknowledgements page), but if you're into history from this era, it's a book that's tough to put down. (And before anyone makes a joke, I had to put it down 2 separate times because it had to stay where I was reading it, and I came close to buying my own copy so that I could finish it, but knew I'd be back where the book was located ... just thought I'd be back there a tad sooner.)

Sedgwick is more of a writer than a historian. As such, this book is more readable than a academically oriented history book.

51k1a1vJiZL.jpg

Reactions: LionJim
As an avid reader I love these threads. Thanks. I had the incredible good fortune to play golf w Tom Coyne recently. He is local to Philly and a great guy. I knew nothing about him but learned he is a St Joe journalism prof and golf author.

I am reading A Course Called Ireland where he walked across the country pub and course hopping. I am 99% sure I would like it even if I wasn’t a golfer who has played some of the courses he describes. It really is not a hard core golf book by any stretch. Very well written and amusing. Highly recommend.

He also wrote Paper Tiger about his attempts through Q School, and A Gentleman’s Game which is a novel. I have not read them.

A Course Called Scotland got solid reviews and is on bookshelves in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it too.

My vacation book - since having kids, it's the only time I can read it. Almost finished...

51lmTfDL9fL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just getting into....

51zpbDsb8wL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And this, which is extra cool since I got to meet Mr. Field the last time I was in Paris...

cocktails+of+the+ritz+paris.jpg

So, who wants to start up the BWI Book Club?

bookclub.jpg

My vacation book - since having kids, it's the only time I can read it. Almost finished...

51lmTfDL9fL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just getting into....

51zpbDsb8wL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And this, which is extra cool since I got to meet Mr. Field the last time I was in Paris...

cocktails+of+the+ritz+paris.jpg

So, who wants to start up the BWI Book Club?

bookclub.jpg
Wish I was as lucky as you! I am going on vacation with grandkids and I would love to spend time reading. However, I know I will have zero time since I will be babysitting 24/7!

Into The American Woods, by James H. Merrell, won several awards, and a lot of positive press, when it came out in 1999. It's been on my book list since 2000, but I just got around to reading it last week. I should not have waited so long.

Merrell's book is the best book I've ever read on the negotiators on both sides, as well as the negotiations that took place between Pennsylvania and Native American tribes in the period between Pennsylvania's founding and the Declaration of Independence.

William Penn set high standards, as well as ideals, of how he wanted to deal with Native Americans in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, his sons and his grandsons, as well as the administrators appointed by the proprietors, did not share his ideals, or live up to his standards.

To a large degree, it's questionable if the two sides ever could have reached mutually beneficial agreements. Their goals were quite different, and their understandings of what they agreed to were often quite different.

The negotiators were generally agreed upon by both parties, but in most cases the Pennsylvania negotiators, even those that had been raised by Native Americans, weren't exactly fair and forthcoming to both sides.

For those with an interest in how Penn's Woods became the colony that may have had the fewest Native American inhabitants by the time of the American Revolution (something that's suggested, but not definitely established), I highly recommend this book.

512M18VOF8L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Brad Thor's latest Spy Master arrived today so I'll be reading that this week.

Then, Daniel Silva's The Other Woman arrives in 2 weeks.

I just finished Kilmeade's "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripolo Pirates.". The Barbary Wars were a very interesting and important part of American history.

515%2BbmmEI1L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Late last night, I completed Ethan Allen: His Life And Times, by Willard Sterne Randall (WSR). I purchased it in 2014, but its length (536 pages, not including the Acknowledgements, Notes, and Bibliography) always seemed to cause me to choose another book when I was searching my shelves.

When the book came out, it was the first new biography about Ethan Allen in over 50 years. It does an excellent job of looking at one of the more legendary, but complicated, heros of the American Revolution.

A large part of the book deals with the role Ethan Allen played in creating what we now call the state of Vermont. It was not one of the 13 British colonies, and until the end of the Seven Years' War (French and Indian War), it was not an area that people had much interest in. Those that have an interest in the conflicts between colonies that shaped the USA will find this book pretty illuminating.

Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys were an effective fighting force during the Revolutionary War. Allen was their initial leader, but he was captured during an early invasion of Canada (if you spend much time in the writings of the Founding Fathers, you'll be astonished by how many of them felt that Canada was poorly defended, and its inhabitants would leap at the chance to become the 14th State). WSR's book does a nice job explaining the creation of the Green Mountain Boys, and some of their early battles, but it's rather sketchy on the Green Mountain Boys during the time that Allen was imprisoned. It does examine a good bit the secret dialogue that Allen conducted in which a British spy was trying to get Allen to flip his allegiance, and Allen got the spy's superior to agree to not attack Vermont (from Canada) for several years while the dialogue took place. This dialogue has often given historians difficulty, as it can be interpreted many ways. WSR does a nice job of presenting what took place, and attempting to explain what the evidence shows was Allen's motive and goal in the communications.

While the book was long, I did find this book very informative, and read it pretty quickly. I would recommend the book.

As an aside, Christopher Wren has a book that came out two months ago, titled Those Turbulent Sons of Freedom: Ethan Allen's Green Mountain Boys and the American Revolution. I suspect I'll have to get a copy of that, as WSR's book has increased my interest in the Allen and the Green Mountain Boys.

Just finished World War II at Sea, a Global History by Craig Symonds.

Chronological coverage of every sea engagement in all theatres. I had never read anything that comprehensively covered the Mediterrean and the North sea off Norway. This was a great read.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
I'm reading the Walter Isaacson book about Leonardo da Vinci that I got from the digital library. It's not me. It's too much micro analysis of his paintings and drawings and stuff. I'm only a quarter through it but I'm just going to return it. I can't relate to it and there are lots of other books to read. Someone that can read about 15th century Italy and art and understand it might like the book.

I'm reading the Walter Isaacson book about Leonardo da Vinci that I got from the digital library. It's not me. It's too much micro analysis of his paintings and drawings and stuff. I'm only a quarter through it but I'm just going to return it. I can't relate to it and there are lots of other books to read. Someone that can read about 15th century Italy and art and understand it might like the book.

I would try to persevere. The parts related to his art got a bit tiresome but his anatomical and optical experiments were amazing. The number of subjects in which he was interested is mind boggling.

I listened to Isaacson's Da Vinci on Audibles and found it to be wonderful. But I did think whether or not I would enjoy reading it as much as listening.

I must give a strong shout out to "The Case Against Sugar". I was on a plane for 16 hours recently (Dubai to DFW) and listened to the whole book. I found it to be earth shattering. The author gives deep and compelling evidence that sugar is to blame for almost all of today's "western" diseases like obesity and diabetes.

Just started reading "If Thy Right Hand" by Robin Lamont. For the old guys on this board, she was the super-cute blonde girl who sang "Day By Day" in the movie (and Broadway play) Godspell (1973). It was a big hit and most of the ensemble cast were a bunch of kids who went to Carnegie Mellon together. After her acting career was over she went on to become a Private Investigator, lawyer and award-winning author. And even 45 years later she's still a total babe!

Just started reading "If Thy Right Hand" by Robin Lamont. For the old guys on this board, she's was the super-cute blonde girl who sang "Day By Day" in the movie (and Broadway play) Godspell (1973). It was a big hit and most of the ensemble cast were a bunch of kids who went to Carnegie Mellon together. After her acting career was over she went on to become a Private Investigator, lawyer and award-winning author. And even 45 years later she's still a total babe!
Flags all over the field.

I moved on from “Solve your child’s sleep problems” and am now reading “A Counterintelligence Reader”. Specifically volume 4 chapter 2 (Russia). Great books to read if you want a better feel for foreign intelligence services.

Last 2 classes!!

Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT