ADVERTISEMENT

What adjustments would you make?

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
given the condition of the team, what adjustments would you make on both defense and offense for the rest of the year? changes in approach and/or player moves?

I start with the assumption that on offense, Sean Clifford is not going to heal by playing every week, and may deteriorate. No idea what the status of our 5 RBs is, but we may not have any RB that is 100% healthy right now.

given the condition of the team, what adjustments would you make on both defense and offense for the rest of the year? changes in approach and/or player moves?

I start with the assumption that on offense, Sean Clifford is not going to heal by playing every week, and may deteriorate. No idea what the status of our 5 RBs is, but we may not have any RB that is 100% healthy right now.
Start with the TE's, if you can't catch, you don't play. If you can't block, you don't play. Put some walk-on's in and they might get the message. Go to the O Line, If you can't block, you don't play. Revamp the entire team if needed. If we had a bunch of walk-ons playing, at least our expectations would not be so high.

The team has supposedly been working on the running game for the past several weeks. However, on the field results have actually shown regression. I would look to replace the guys up front who are not getting the job done and give an underclassman a chance to prove himself. No. 44 for Illinois was living in our backfield yesterday, many times coming through the line unblocked.

Reactions: therod
I would put in the 2nd string (or lower) against OSU, "baptism by fire." Nothing to lose. The first string isn't going to win that game anyway. Give the first string players a chance to rest and heal up. Concentrate on Maryland, maybe try to steal that one, see where you're at, at that point, maybe play the 2nd string again against Michigan, but concentrate on Rutgers. Bottom line is that this team needs a win to get bowl eligible and that needs to be the focus. At this point, 6-6 and 8-4 probably doesn't make that much difference. Concentrate on winning the ones you can, get bowl-eligible, then regroup for next year.

With the number of injuries and the number of noncontributing scholarship players on this roster, there would seem to be few options. I do know this offense is not functioning. It seems to be a pretty fragile system, where if one thing isn’t just right the whole thing fails.
If Clifford gets healthy, it might work. If not, it won’t. So the question is if you totally change the system midway through the season to try to accommodate the limitations of the backup QB ?

Reactions: 91Joe95

Assuming it is possible for Clifford to come back close to 100% later this year, I would sit him against Ohio State and start CV. If we start Roberson, we have nothing but a limited high tempo offense that will force the defense to play 90 or more snaps. We are not going to win so why take a chance ruining what's left of the season. I would run the most conservative game plan possible. Nothing but runs and short passes while eating the clock. Get the defense as much of a break as we can because they are playing too many snaps week after week. Bottom line, accept the loss and get to Maryland so we have a shot at getting to a bowl game.

Find an o line coach to replace Trautwein at the end of the season. He’s hasn’t helped one bit.

Coaching. Play is to inconsistent to attribute to player performance. Run game has been inept for some time now. Lack of motivation, mental toughness , championship attitude , call it whatever you want its just not there. There are some teams you should just be able to dominate regardless of scheme. There comes a point and time where you physically should be able to just impose your will and handle business. PSU has struggled with this over the years. The lack of a competent back up qb for a D1 program unacceptable, the lack of being able to move the ball 3 yards on multiple occasions unacceptable, the lack of not having your team mentally prepared to play a football game, when your season depends on it unacceptable. I have said it before, I'm no coach and Im not an expert just a 43 year old guy who was fortunate to play the game at the high school and college level, to me there is something just not clicking in the program and that to me is a coaching issue.

IMHO, it is too late. If SC is hurt, we are going to lose three more games, at least if Roberson is not an upgrade to the SC QB we saw yesterday.,

Reactions: Paguy35
Start with the TE's, if you can't catch, you don't play. If you can't block, you don't play. Put some walk-on's in and they might get the message. Go to the O Line, If you can't block, you don't play. Revamp the entire team if needed. If we had a bunch of walk-ons playing, at least our expectations would not be so high.
This should have been done after Iowa, when you had 2 weeks to evaluate and prepare. Instead we got the same shit. No plan to help or replace an obviously hobbled SC. No run game. No physical or mental toughness. Pathetic.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
This should have been done after Iowa, when you had 2 weeks to evaluate and prepare. Instead we got the same shit. No plan to help or replace an obviously hobbled SC. No run game. No physical or mental toughness. Pathetic.
BB certainly gave his team some "tough love". he is now saying he was talking about recruiting and not his players but the message certainly resonated as they won both sides of the LOS. Maybe CJF should ask the line if that is the kind of treatment they need to win games.

I agree with something else you said I forgot to put in my observations. The TE and WR blocking was horrible.

I would insert Tangwell or another young player at LG.....or stick with Efner who appeared to be a step up.

I would love to Brevard or Mulbah or someone in the middle who might not get me the sacks, but will keep the OC from double teaming the DT and then scraping to one of the LBs on every run play.

Make them double team the center of the defensive line so that our LBs can tackle.

Our defensive backfield is as good as anyone in football.....it is amazing to me that TCF probably is the weak spot.....but if you cannot get a pass rush or stop the run.....your defense is toast. I would trade two of our corners for an instinctual LB that can tackle and a 340 lb run stuffing DT.

I would send tens of thousands of dollars to Allar, Singletary, DDS, etc..............to insure that we get their commitment, we need some difference makers..........

Last edited:
Remember when facing a depleted Running back room and an OL struggling with the running game Ciarrocca utilized an unbalanced line with Tight ends and a running QB for short yardage?

Remember when everyone knew what was coming but couldn't stop it?

Remember when extending a drive by winning 3rd and short was given equal consideration as "explosive plays" which often led to 3 and outs?

I’d like to see a WR in the backfield sometimes. Someone fast for change of speed. Like D Williams use to do. Quick pitch to him and see what happens.

Remember when facing a depleted Running back room and an OL struggling with the running game Ciarrocca utilized an unbalanced line with Tight ends and a running QB for short yardage?

Remember when everyone knew what was coming but couldn't stop it?

Remember when extending a drive by winning 3rd and short was given equal consideration as "explosive plays" which often led to 3 and outs?

I believe as bad as we were in 2020, we were at the top of the BIG last year in yards per game and fist down differential. We were ahead in yardage early in many games we lost, at the turnovers were killing us including scores by opponent defenses.

could we use Tyler Warren like we used Levis last year?

I think they should do a few things:

1. Recognize that the lofty goals for the season are gone and the schedule is going to get very very tough. Take the pressure off getting to the playoffs cause it ain’t happening. Now it’s about survival.

2. Focus on a “get Cliff healthy” strategy. Trotting him out there for O$U isn’t going to be helpful. Let’s not ruin the rest of his career with a vicious hit from O$U (like what happened to Indy’s QB last night). Remember with the COVID extension year, SC can be back again next year.

3. Offense: consider designed runs and add one of the TEs back as a FB to help as a lead blocker. Lots of short swing passes to the RB OR WRs for 5 yard gains. Chew clock. Don’t worry about tempo. Let our defense rest.

3. Play man defense the rest of the way and stack the box against everyone. Make folks throw into the strength of our defense,
While trying to stop the run. Because after yesterday’s Illinois tape everyone is going to try to run it down our throats.

4. Best case scenario is that CV or TR do some good things at QB and gain some key experience and we win 3 of the next 5 and finish 8-4

Bingo: No physical or mental toughness.

I would insert Tangwell or another young player at LG.....or stick with Efner who appeared to be a step up.

I would love to Brevard or Mulbah or someone in the middle who might not get me the sacks, but will keep the OC from double teaming the DT and then scraping to one of the LBs on every run play.

Make them double team the center of the defensive line so that our LBs can tackle.

Our defensive backfield is as good as anyone in football.....it is amazing to me that TCF probably is the weak spot.....but if you cannot get a pass rush or stop the run.....your defense is toast. I would trade two of our corners for an instinctual LB that can tackle and a 340 lb run stuffing DT.

I would send tens of thousands of dollars to Allar, Singletary, DDS, etc..............to insure that we get their commitment, we need some difference makers..........

I would
your suggestions for the defense feel like they would make an impact. What would you do with the DL right now to create the run stuffing DT? different players? do we have players on the roster anywhere who may not be getting used, but could help on the DL?

I think it is now time for change along the offensive line:
Scruggs to Center, Effner to left guard, Wallace to right guard and Holmes to right tackle. Total reshuffle except for Walker.
RB: Give "Tank" Smith some PT with all these RB injuries.

QB: Roberson gets all 1st team reps the next two weeks and starts/plays. Clifford is too beat up and hinders the offense by his physical limitations. It can't be much worse than what happened yesterday.
TEs: Miss block or easy pass, you sit.

DL: All hands on deck. Everyone (this includes Mulbah & Brevard) gets a few snaps @ DT, if for no other reason than to give the 2 deep some more breaks during the game.
I noticed the few stunts I saw PSU attempt were slow/infective, especially going against a 7 man OL.

LBers weren't bad, problem was the Illini OL were easily getting to 2nd level to take out LBers as the DL was getting beat. That is why the secondary had so many tackles.

The secondary is fine. No required changes.

your suggestions for the defense feel like they would make an impact. What would you do with the DL right now to create the run stuffing DT? different players? do we have players on the roster anywhere who may not be getting used, but could help on the DL?
Start playing the young guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT