ADVERTISEMENT

We have a new athletic director!

Can't imagine there is a whole lot of need for them to work those hours. If they're scheduled at management's discretion, their union should demand a shift differential.
After a concert? It’s tearing down as quickly as possible so that the concert can get on the road to it’s next venue (and often turn over the BJC for whatever is happening the next day).

After a concert? It’s tearing down as quickly as possible so that the concert can get on the road to it’s next venue (and often turn over the BJC for whatever is happening the next day).

I understand that the equipment crew who work for the band/promoter need to get their stuff out and on the road. But the folks who handle the arena reconfiguration? How much is the BJC used before noon on any given day? And if it takes four hours, as intimated by Sproul, do do the job, why couldn't the folks who do come in at 7AM? Don't see the rush to prepare a facility that will sit unused for 12 or more hours.

I understand that the equipment crew who work for the band/promoter need to get their stuff out and on the road. But the folks who handle the arena reconfiguration? How much is the BJC used before noon on any given day? And if it takes four hours, as intimated by Sproul, do do the job, why couldn't the folks who do come in at 7AM? Don't see the rush to prepare a facility that will sit unused for 12 or more hours.
Much of the tearing down/setting up is done by part time personnel, not full time personnel.

Much of the tearing down/setting up is done by part time personnel, not full time personnel.
Exactly...most of those people setting up and tearing down are local, and just being overseen by some people working for the band.

Exactly...most of those people setting up and tearing down are local, and just being overseen by some people working for the band.

Okay, all of that makes sense for a concert. But for an athletic event? Those people would be hired/employed by PSU. Would expect their hours to be scheduled reasonably based on need for the facility.

Seriously? Comments:

1. University athletic departments are no profit-making enterprises, and aren't expected to be. It's nice if they generate a surplus and turn it over the the school, but the expectation is they spend what they generate and don't require funds coming the other way;

2. OSU's AD take in $45mm, or better than 25% more than PSU's;

3. a $600k deficit is chump-change, barely covers Ms Pantsuit's annual dry cleaning bills.
That's all good Art but here in Columbus this is newsworthy to the masses. In my opinion as far as results in the form of competitive teams per dollar PSU is doing a pretty good job. Just saying.

That's all good Art but here in Columbus this is newsworthy to the masses. In my opinion as far as results in the form of competitive teams per dollar PSU is doing a pretty good job. Just saying.

People tend to look at athletic departments in the same way they do profit-making entities. That's appropriate to a certain extent, but "competitive teams per dollar" isn't one of them, particularly when all of the funds are generated internally and two teams underwrite the administration an remaining teams. The questions should be framed in terms of return on dollars spent. Should money go to hire administrators and pay for golf teams or basketball coaching salaries or football facilities improvements? The former have no hope of ever generating any return. The latter, if managed properly, do.

PSU ICA's Annual Administrative and Debt Interest expenses have increased by over $20,000,000 PER YEAR.
(Most of that increased $20 Million.... about 3/4 of it.... is increased Administrative expenses. The rest, Debt Interest)
That increased expense was NOT due to simply getting everyone business cards with a fancy title...… was it?

Never said it was, did I? I just don't get bent out of shape over titles as others on this board seem to.

I mention government bloat and you can't resist going idiot political about heath care. I don't give a crap about your or anybodies political views.Take the political crap elsewhere.

How much did Joe get paid to be head football coach and athletic director at the same time?

Did you really see ANYONE in this thread get "bent out of shape over titles"?

I didn't.... but I do have some folks on ignore (but not many).

Or, would you just like to believe that is the case - so that you can take comfort in ignoring the very real, and very impactful, concerns?

Just wondering.

Holy shit Barry. Either take your meds, pour a drink, or put down your drink. Please do the opposite of whatever your doing. There is an ongoing refrain on this board about the number of AADs and Sandy's organizational choices.
While you'll never hear me say educational, healthcare, or govt entities need more bureaucracy, someone would seem to need to be in charge of ticket operations. I doubt this is a new job role and I don't much care what their title is.

Does anyone remember when Bud Meredith ran the whole ticket operation for years?
Hell, they outsource a shitload of it to Ticketmaster and/or Learfield IMG now (I can't remember exactly who's doing what now.... but PSU ICA is paying one or both of them a lot of money to handle such stuff)…. to the point where having anyone at PSU Admin dedicated to such a "job responsibility" (as opposed to having an existing AD provide supervision) is just ludicrous..... but it is what it is.

PSU ICA: "Making FairGambit Enterprises look better by Comparison"

Hell, they outsource a shitload of it to Ticketmaster and/or Learfield IMG now (I can't remember exactly who's doing what now.... but PSU ICA is paying one or both of them a lot of money to handle such stuff)…. to the point where having anyone at PSU Admin dedicated to such a "job responsibility" (as opposed to having an existing AD provide supervision) is just ludicrous..... but it is what it is.

PSU ICA: "Making FairGambit Enterprises look better by Comparison"

Something else to contemplate: the position went unfilled for over a year. Did the function self-destruct?

Reactions: stormingnorm
I mention government bloat and you can't resist going idiot political about heath care. I don't give a crap about your or anybodies political views.Take the political crap elsewhere.

Umm, wtf? You responded to a post about "HC bloat" by saying "govt bloat" is #1. I responded by noting that most HC bloat is due to the govt bloat you brought up. I was supporting your assertion. I know it might be hard for you to follow the logic of 2 replies in a conversation or understand the difference between politics and policy, but let's try to be nicer in life, shall we?

It was a simple question..... I guess, with the lack of an answer, that the actual "answer" is that you are the only one gettin' wiggy wrt some "Job Title" thing, or who feels anyone else is gettin' wiggy wrt same..

Good luck w that..... personally, IDK.

"Simple?" There was nothing simple or clear about you rambling on about putting people on ignore. Seriously, get yourself right Barry.

Something else to contemplate: the position went unfilled for over a year. Did the function self-destruct?
It was being filled on an interim basis for over a year by Bryan Markiewicz, but he left PSU in November.

It was being filled on an interim basis for over a year by Bryan Markiewicz, but he left PSU in November.

So an assistant ticket manager was performing double-duty as an interim AAD for about a year. The demands of that AAD job must be simply monstrous.

So an assistant ticket manager was performing double-duty as an interim AAD for about a year. The demands of that AAD job must be simply monstrous.
Or maybe it’s that you’re getting way too caught up in the “AAD” title. The person running the ticket office has an AAD title. Why is that “pulling double duty”? It’s simply a title.

Or maybe it’s that you’re getting way too caught up in the “AAD” title. The person running the ticket office has an AAD title. Why is that “pulling double duty”? It’s simply a title.

Not at all, just remarking that one person was doing two jobs for a year, which means that one or both jobs couldn't have been that demanding and/or time consuming which translates into one or both of those jobs likely being unnecessary.

Not at all, just remarking that one person was doing two jobs for a year, which means that one or both jobs couldn't have been that demanding and/or time consuming which translates into one or both of those jobs likely being unnecessary.
Someone left (Jeff)...the #2 (Bryan) stepped into the role of leading while they searched for someone new to run things. That guy then decided to leave, so they have now hired this new guy to run things.

Only with PSU Athletics would people criticize that chain of events, or think they should just ignore the need to fill the position.

They lost the #2 person as well within ticketing that was doing a great job. Between losing both of them, they had to do something because I don't think #3 and below had the skills of top 2 folks.

^ I see now that this was already said in the post above.

Someone left (Jeff)...the #2 (Bryan) stepped into the role of leading while they searched for someone new to run things. That guy then decided to leave, so they have now hired this new guy to run things.

Only with PSU Athletics would people criticize that chain of events, or think they should just ignore the need to fill the position.

They lost the #2 person as well within ticketing that was doing a great job. Between losing both of them, they had to do something because I don't think #3 and below had the skills of top 2 folks.

^ I see now that this was already said in the post above.

Having a little difficulty following this. In the Ticketing function, the #1 guy leaves, and the #2 guy takes over as the interim. So for one year they are down one body/total comp.

Then the #2 guy leaves and they are down two for two or so months. There is no internal candidate to promote, so they hire one from the outside as the #1. Back to being down one body. Has the #2 slot been filled?

The knee-jerk reaction that an open position is automatically filled is that of a bureaucrat. A manager attempting to optimally allocate financial resources looks at it otherwise, particularly if a slot has been open for a year with no deterioration of function.

Having a little difficulty following this. In the Ticketing function, the #1 guy leaves, and the #2 guy takes over as the interim. So for one year they are down one body/total comp.

Then the #2 guy leaves and they are down two for two or so months. There is no internal candidate to promote, so they hire one from the outside as the #1. Back to being down one body. Has the #2 slot been filled?

The knee-jerk reaction that an open position is automatically filled is that of a bureaucrat. A manager attempting to optimally allocate financial resources looks at it otherwise, particularly if a slot has been open for a year with no deterioration of function.

Only reason there was no deterioration was because of the job Bryan did and that all the sports like hockey, baseball, etc. tickets were all out before he left. I am pretty sure at least not filling at least one of the top 2 positions would very likely lead to some lapses going forward. I would not say this was knee-jerk move in filling this position.

You’ve got it right...I don’t think that they’ve added anyone other than the guy in the initial post of the thread, but I can’t say for sure. But, even if they did, I’m sure that they wouldn’t issue a press release for a position like that.

Only reason there was no deterioration was because of the job Bryan did and that all the sports like hockey, baseball, etc. tickets were all out before he left. I am pretty sure at least not filling at least one of the top 2 positions would very likely lead to some lapses going forward. I would not say this was knee-jerk move in filling this position.

So it seems that they didn't need two people, just one as good as Bryan was. And I was not intimating that both positions should be left vacant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT