ADVERTISEMENT

We got a verbal ...

Gentlemen,

I have a senior daughter in high school and we have been to many schools this summer and researched "actual cost" to attend at many powerful schools, Ivy League, upper privates in PA, and schools like Stanford, Duke, MIT (She must have got her brains from her mother). She is a STEM student (math and physics) and has already complete 22 Math credits at Penn State through their college in high school program and a total of 73 college credits that would be accepted at PSU for dual enrollment and AP classes that she scored high on the exams.

We are PA residents and guess what...... Penn State is the most expensive and it is not close.

In-State, room and board at University Park $32,000... if she would get in to Schreyer's it would drop to $27,000.

Next closest MIT abround $23,000. Juniata and St. Francis around $20,000. The surprise ....... the Ivy's are the cheapest if your family income is less than $150,000. Harvard and Princeton about $3,000, Yale and Penn around $8,000 and Cornell about $12,000.

Carnegie and Duke will match offers from other schools, but you need to provide written offers from the other schools.

Where every other school has a higher sticker price.... their actual cost is a lot less than PSU.

The Ivys emphasize graduating with no debt, since they have low acceptance numbers (between 2000-3000) and major endowments!

(BTW - if she would go ivy... they do not take those credits. They would use them as placement, or waive a pre-requisite, but not give credit)

Gentlemen,

I have a senior daughter in high school and we have been to many schools this summer and researched "actual cost" to attend at many powerful schools, Ivy League, upper privates in PA, and schools like Stanford, Duke, MIT (She must have got her brains from her mother). She is a STEM student (math and physics) and has already complete 22 Math credits at Penn State through their college in high school program and a total of 73 college credits that would be accepted at PSU for dual enrollment and AP classes that she scored high on the exams.

We are PA residents and guess what...... Penn State is the most expensive and it is not close.

In-State, room and board at University Park $32,000... if she would get in to Schreyer's it would drop to $27,000.

Next closest MIT abround $23,000. Juniata and St. Francis around $20,000. The surprise ....... the Ivy's are the cheapest if your family income is less than $150,000. Harvard and Princeton about $3,000, Yale and Penn around $8,000 and Cornell about $12,000.

Carnegie and Duke will match offers from other schools, but you need to provide written offers from the other schools.

Where every other school has a higher sticker price.... their actual cost is a lot less than PSU.

The Ivys emphasize graduating with no debt, since they have low acceptance numbers (between 2000-3000) and major endowments!

(BTW - if she would go ivy... they do not take those credits. They would use them as placement, or waive a pre-requisite, but not give credit)

Speaking from personal experience here with a son who graduated from PSU and a daughter from Michigan State U and a resident of Pennsylvania. PSU is expensive but comparably speaking when my daughter was looking at schools like Drexel and Lehigh from a private school perspective they easily were more expensive than in-state PSU. The problem is the number of candidates that apply to PSU allows them to name their price because of tradition and volume means there is always a revenue stream.

That being said my son benefited greatly from the PSU education if you ask me when it came time for the job market. He was competing against candidates with higher GPA's often from schools such as Cornell and the like and was able to land a position with a top 5 accounting firm in the country. A significant reason why is that the PSU alumni is far reaching and he was often interviewing with a panel that had some representation from PSU. He continues to benefit as he moved out of state and every where he goes has a strong alumni which he uses for networking and progressing in his career. So yes there is an expense and each person has a different path to success but in my case PSU was worth every cent.

And since I mentioned my daughter, she is too new out of school and in graduate school so I do not know what impact MSU has in the real world. She was fortunate to study under a world recognized professor who inspired her and that is worth every cent also.

Gentlemen,

Your limited sample with an Ivy League caliber student is perpetuating a false narrative. Here's some other Pennsylvania University tuitions (no room and board) compared to Penn State's $18,436.00 tuition.

Lehigh: $50,740
U. Scranton: $43,310
Lafayette: $50,850
Bucknell: $50,152
Moravion: $42,024
Muhlenberg: $50,830
Villanova: $51,284
Drexel: $52,002
Penn: $53,534
Franklin & Marshall: $54,370
Haverford: $52,754
Canegie Mellon: $50,665
Dickinson: $52,930
Gettysburg: $52,640
Duquesne: $36,394
Swarthmore: $50,822
Washington & Jefferson: $46,628
Ursinus: $50,360

My source (see below) lists every Pennsylvania University and College. Lots more examples and if you eliminate the tech schools and community colleges, Penn State is clearly in the lower end of tuition costs so they are not "the most expensive and it is not close."

https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/compare/tables/?state=PA

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Your limited sample with an Ivy League caliber student is perpetuating a false narrative. Here's some other Pennsylvania University tuitions (no room and board) compared to Penn State's $18,436.00 tuition.

My source (see below) lists every Pennsylvania University and College. Lots more examples and if you eliminate the tech schools and community colleges, Penn State is clearly in the lower end of tuition costs so they are not "the most expensive and it is not close."

Your point is still valid, but, the actual tuition paid at private colleges is considerably lower than the numbers published. Most of the colleges on the list offer deep discounts (framed as scholarships to make the kids feel better). I served as a trustee at a small private college and every year we averaged a 40%+ discount across the entire student body.

Gentlemen,

Very much agree that PSU with relatively little state aid is very expensive. The school’s academic ranking has fallen materially in US News...... I imagine cost is one of the main reasons. There are others I can think of, but better unsaid.
I do not know where you got the Penn #- assume that is your deal.. I am a Penn grad, who just got an alumni publication which included all-in cost for ‘18-‘19.
$71,250 give or take. Aid totaled circa $245 million for approx. 9,500 undergrads; am assuming that aid is for Fr. Undergrad only. So, per capital $25,000 per frost., making the avg. net circa $46k.
Needs blind admission. Which effectively means if you are approaching poor as defined you pay very little. If rich you pay full fare, and the middle gets squeezed.

FWIW, PSU has the highest in-state tuition ($18,400) of any Big Ten School (Tuition & fees, no R&B) but out-of-state tuition($33,600) is slightly below the Big Ten average ($34,500).

Good info, though I found when my daughters were applying (starting less than 10 years ago, and my youngest is currently in grad school), and we were meeting with the folks that handle financial aid, it's highly variable based on family situation. Comparing the "list prices" may have value here, as it is a starting point...after that not so much.

Gentlemen,

It is true that privates (and especially ivies) have massive endowments that enable them to be price competitive with public universities. But then again:
1. Consider what that says about the pricing model of the privates/ivies. It is no different from drugs or automobiles. Completely non transparent, price discriminatory (in a way that supports regular old discriminatory), and unrelated to rationally managed cost. The list price does nothing more than create a false perception of differential value.
2. If your child graduates from an ivy he or she is probably less likely to want to do something that is actually economically productive and more likely to become an unhinged lunatic.

It is true that privates (and especially ivies) have massive endowments that enable them to be price competitive with public universities. But then again:
1. Consider what that says about the pricing model of the privates/ivies. It is no different from drugs or automobiles. Completely non transparent, price discriminatory (in a way that supports regular old discriminatory), and unrelated to rationally managed cost. The list price does nothing more than create a false perception of differential value.
2. If your child graduates from an ivy he or she is probably less likely to want to do something that is actually economically productive and more likely to become an unhinged lunatic.
I think you batted about .198 in this post.

From pricing models to unhinged lunatics. In a couple of sentences. High brow, transitive string theory noodling in action. For sure.

I think you batted about .198 in this post.
Methinks it is much lower than the Mendoza line than that. I'm thinking closer to .000.

Gentlemen,

My word, this is mesmerizing. I've got sticker shock just reading it, and my kids are only still 8 years old.

Thanks for the intel.

a7b26089-631c-52c0-9c10-9898a03c23b0.image.jpg

Thanks for this, too.

I think this is a triple crown post. but i have also been described as an unhinged lunatic. they are not restricted to the Ivy's.

p_istream.asp

p_istream.asp

Cody Sanderson
p_istream.asp

Cael Sanderson
p_istream.asp

Cole Sanderson
p_istream.asp

Cael on his way to the 2000 NCAA Division I Championship.
p_istream.asp

Cole in a 1st round match versus Penn State.
p_istream.asp

Cody Sanderson wins his Semi-final match.
p_istream.asp

Cael with his NCAA MVP Wrestling Awards.
p_istream.asp

Cole, Cael, Greg Shepard and Cody

Reactions: jtothemfp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT