ADVERTISEMENT

We got a verbal ...

Marco-Polo-and-Writing-635.jpg

Great quote from Marco's coach from the article:

“The main reason why Marco is going there and why I wanted him to go there is not even because of the wrestling. It’s just because of the people that are associated with that program and who they are and what they stand for as individuals.”

Seems like a great kid. Question for the board. Does a kid with this record get any $$ at all, or strictly an opportunity to be on the roster? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: clucas
Seems like a great kid. Question for the board. Does a kid with this record get any $$ at all, or strictly an opportunity to be on the roster? Thanks in advance.

As far as the 9.9 ships are concerned, he is getting an opportunity.

Reactions: nitlion6

With how tight money is with 9.9 and all of the talent PSU brings in I would bet my money that a recruit of his caliber doesn't get any money. He doesn't have the pedigree to get money at PSU, which is probably one of, if not THE hardest program in the country to get money from. It's difficult for blue chip guys to get money at PSU.

Havent any knowledge about Marco’s HS grades, but alot of guys Cael has brought in have recieved a significant amount of academic scholarship $. This sure helps spread the 9.9 out to where a lot of the
“room-guys” get to nibble on the cheese block. Im just assuming that Marco either fits into Caels high standard of academic excellence, or his family is “well-off” as most know out-of-state tuition is crazy expensive.

Either way, welcome aboard Marco! Lace em up tight son, this aint New York anymore!

I could be making this up, but i feel like i heard once that everyone gets some book money. Maybe that’s false though.
I believe you are correct that Cael has stated that in the past. Book money is probably $400 to a $1,000 a year. If the value of an in-state scholarship is $30,000, 1% is $300. Would not surprise me to see every returning wrestler on the team receive at least 1%.

I could be making this up, but i feel like i heard once that everyone gets some book money. Maybe that’s false though.
I forget which year, but resourcing a weaken memory i remember there was maybe 33 of 34 kids who received something (book money to something more significant).

Yes -- nearly the entire team gets some athletic aid. Everyone feels valued -- and it eliminates risk to the APR score so the team won't get disqualified from nationals.

"Nearly" = not ROTC guys like Brown and Manville, or the one guy ever on academic aid.

alot of guys Cael has brought in have recieved a significant amount of academic scholarship $.
Coaches have said on numerous occasions that one wrestler in the Cael Era has received academic scholarship money -- Devon Van Cura, he of the 4.0 GPA in Chemistry who's now in grad school at Harvard.

Should have said “ must have received”, as Cael seems to seek out (and usually land) extremely smart kids.
I know Zain,Nolf,Jimmy, Nico, and even Joiseyboy were right near the top of their classes, to think the coaches wouldnt encourage them to gather as many scholarships to stretch out the athletic 9.9 is strange.

Last edited:
Should have said “ must have received”, as Cael seems to seek out (and usually land) extremely smart kids.
I know Zain,Nolf,Jimmy, Nico, and even Joiseyboy were right near the top of their classes, to think the coaches wouldnt encourage them to gather as many scholarships to stretch out the athletic 9.9 is strange.
Cael may well have encouraged them. Doesn't mean they got any.

PSU academic scholarships are insanely competitve -- have seen countless Dean's List students over the years who didn't get a cent. Seen many many more who claimed they did but it was for pride, really was loans or Pell Grants or the like.

Speaking as someone who has some working knowledge of the PSU scholarship process -- both as a former alumni chapter officer and member of a Fortune 50 company's corporate PSU board.

Gotta remember the NCAA rule too: school must prove athletes did not receive consideration as athletes for academic money.

Academic scholarships at PSU are few and far between. It's easier getting donors to give to athletics or naming a building or a room in a building or endowing a faculty position than it is to get people to give to academic based financial assistance.

The best known academic scholarships at Penn State are the Schreyer Honors College scholarships and they are only $5,000/year. Only 300 Frosh are admitted into SHC each fall at all 20 campuses and if you don't get in as a Frosh, it's very tough to get in later. I believe that in order to get the SCH money, you have to get in as a Frosh. Once you're in you have to take at least 35 credits of honors courses, maintain a 3.4 and finish an Honors Thesis before graduation. The average cumulative GPA for kids that graduate from Schreyer is over 3.8. The scholarship money is only good for 8 semesters so even if a wrestler were to get in, any 5th year would not qualify for any SHC money.

That has been our experience. My daughter was accepted into Schreyer's Honor College after her freshman year. She had a 3.87 GPA and is still getting no academic assistance from them or anyone else within PSU this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Academic scholarships at PSU are few and far between. It's easier getting donors to give to athletics or naming a building or a room in a building or endowing a faculty position than it is to get people to give to academic based financial assistance.

The best known academic scholarships at Penn State are the Schreyer Honors College scholarships and they are only $5,000/year. Only 300 Frosh are admitted into SHC each fall at all 20 campuses and if you don't get in as a Frosh, it's very tough to get in later. I believe that in order to get the SCH money, you have to get in as a Frosh. Once you're in you have to take at least 35 credits of honors courses, maintain a 3.4 and finish an Honors Thesis before graduation. The average cumulative GPA for kids that graduate from Schreyer is over 3.8. The scholarship money is only good for 8 semesters so even if a wrestler were to get in, any 5th year would not qualify for any SHC money.
That is a problem for PSU long term. Given the high expense of a college education, it becomes very difficult to justify the cost of a PSU education. If you are an excellent student you plenty of colleges will give significant academic scholarship aid. Really difficult to justify if you are out of state.

It has not hurt recruiting in wrestling or many of the other sports either, PSU wrestling has something very unique to sell that appeals to the elite wrestlers.

Reactions: Ski
The schools giving significant academic money also tend to have much larger tuitions. I really don't consider Penn State expensive relative to other schools with similar academic standing, in fact there is a legitimate argument that you get more bang for your buck at PSU.

That is a problem for PSU long term. Given the high expense of a college education, it becomes very difficult to justify the cost of a PSU education. If you are an excellent student you plenty of colleges will give significant academic scholarship aid. Really difficult to justify if you are out of state.

It has not hurt recruiting in wrestling or many of the other sports either, PSU wrestling has something very unique to sell that appeals to the elite wrestlers.
seems like the state schools give their money to the 'needy' moreso than the academic gifted. I just put 3 kids through school and was laughed at each time FASFA was filled out (seemingly) and I'm not raking in millions.

This is 100% correct. I personally know of three very qualified female students from New York State that wanted to attend PSU. Two of the students had earned 20+ college credits while still in high school and wanted to enter engineering programs, so these two in particular are rather uncommon candidates. All three were accepted at PSU main campus, but were offered anywhere from zero to $5000 annual assistance. Meanwhile, schools like Ohio State, which I believe has a lower out of state tuition to begin with, offered around $15,000 per year to the engineering candidates. As noted, this made it very difficult to justify going to PSU.

Last edited:
Wanted to congratulate Baylor Shunk from Penns Valley HS... offered and committed to Cael same weekend as Marco... work with his mom and they are head over heels excited!!!!

now that is a scoop. As best as I can tell, this news has not appeared in any newspaper article, has not appeared on a tweet from PA Power Wreslting, or Penns Valley School District.

Welcome Baylor

Nice kid and family. 125lb for college career. Would need to put some weight on. I think he was a 106 last year and did not place at states. Good room guy.

Reactions: tikk10
Nice kid and family. 125lb for college career. Would need to put some weight on. I think he was a 106 last year and did not place at states. Good room guy.
He's wrestling 113 here in FS but yeah, he's got some added pounds in his future.

Welcome Baylor Shunk! I'm an instant fan for that name alone.

This is 100% correct. I personally know of three very qualified female students from New York State that wanted to attend PSU. Two of the students had earned 20+ college credits while still in high school and wanted to enter engineering programs, so these two in particular are rather uncommon candidates. All three were accepted at PSU main campus, but were offered anywhere from zero to $5000 annual assistance. Meanwhile, schools like Ohio State, which I believe has a lower out of state tuition to begin with, offered around $15,000 per year to the engineering candidates. As noted, this made it very difficult to justify going to PSU.
Yes... very hard to get. My wife graduated from PSU... full tuition academic scholarship. Schreyer’s Honor College... in Chemical Engineering (and graduated early).
It wasn’t until a few years after she graduated, when she was applying to grad school, that someone explained how rare those scholarships are.

Reactions: kevin310
Yes... very hard to get. My wife graduated from PSU... full tuition academic scholarship. Schreyer’s Honor College... in Chemical Engineering (and graduated early).
It wasn’t until a few years after she graduated, when she was applying to grad school, that someone explained how rare those scholarships are.

Calling BS, if she's so smart, why'd she marry you?

;)

The decline in PSU's academic ranking (US News ans World report) over the last 5 years or so seems to be correlated to the extremely high relative cost for a public school education. As know corr is not necessarily causality.

Manatree: I have asked quite a few people -- given the US News formula, what variable(s) has been responsible for this decline, and what if anything is the leadership doing to correct it.

Reactions: PSUoh90
The decline in PSU's academic ranking (US News ans World report) over the last 5 years or so seems to be correlated to the extremely high relative cost for a public school education. As know corr is not necessarily causality.

Manatree: I have asked quite a few people -- given the US News formula, what variable(s) has been responsible for this decline, and what if anything is the leadership doing to correct it.
Probably accepting a higher percentage of lower-qualified out of state applicants to feed revenues.

First off, most college ranking lists are utter crap, based nothing but opinions.

While I'll give US News ans World Report for actually using mesurable data, I still don't put much weight in it for several reasons.

1) The entire purpose of their rankings has always been to sell magazines and now web clicks.

2) They are always changing their formula for rankings, so there is no way to accurately track any school's progression or regression.

3) They do not use a consistent reporting window for the various factors that they consider. Sometimes it's a two year average, sometime a three year average, sometimes just one yer. Sometimes, it is just one semester.

4) For 2019 twenty percent, down from 22.5, of their rankings is based on opinion. They call it expert opinion, but it is opinion none the less. 15% is a 1-5 ranking survey from over 4500 university presidents, provosts & deans of admission, of which only 35.5% actually responded. The other 5% of the ranking comes from the opinions of high school counselors.

5) They measure many things that in my opinion, are not reliable measures of a school's academic success such as Alumni Giving (5%), Social Mobility (5%), faculty salaries (7%), etc.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/how-us-news-calculated-the-rankings

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT