ADVERTISEMENT

We can still win the Big 10 East

ShinerTexas

Sep 8, 2009
Crazily we still have a shot. PSU and Michigan win out and Ohio St beats MSU. 4 way tie we win tiebreaker. Better overall record than MSU and OSU and we have head to head win against Mich

Crazily we still have a shot. PSU and Michigan win out and Ohio St beats MSU. 4 way tie we win tiebreaker. Better overall record than MSU and OSU and we have head to head win against Mich
I was just wondering about this very question. Not very far fetched at all. OSU will most likely win next week and there’s a pretty good chance harbaugh gets his first win over OSU at home. Quite possible if that’s the tie break scenario

The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:

(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three or more teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.
2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
5. The best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.
(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 – East 1 would be the representative.
6. The records of the three teams will be compared against the highest placed non-divisional teams in their division order of finish (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).
(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.
(b) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the record will prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e. 1-0 is better than 0-0, 2-0 is better than 1-0, etc.)
7. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
8. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

Reactions: JoeFi
So a slightly far fetched scenario where we finish in a 4 way tie for a division in a conference that may not get a team in the CFP is what we're hoping for?

How about we win a big game on the road just for openers. Then we can talk.

Reactions: psu00
OSU, if they beat MSU, wins any and all tie breakers since they beat PSU and MSU H2H. There’s virtually no way for PSU to win a tie breaker if MSU and OSU are part of that group.

If OSU wins next week, they can lose again and still win the East.

In that scenario OSU wins east. From first more than two tied tiebreaker, MSU and OSU beat out PSU and UM by being 2-1 against the group. With only two teams remaining go to head to head which would be OSU. For PSU to win east MSU and OSU both need to lose 2 of remaining 3. So yes there is a chance!

Head to head comes in to play if two teams are tied. If three or more are tied you followi the rules outlined above. Overall record being the first tiebreaker then when you get down to two teams you use head to head

But would a 4 way tie change that? That is what OP is bringing up... Both Michigan State and Ohio State would have 3 overall losses and Penn State beat Michigan so therefore they'd be the tie breaker from my understanding.

Wasn’t even thinking of that. Michigan beating Wisky and OSU b2b is unlikely but crazier things have happened.

Wouldn’t the first tie breaker in a 4 way tie be your record vs the other 3 teams? OSU and MSU would be 2-1...others would be 1-2. Then it’s MSU vs OSU and they beat us. Or am I way off here when it comes to a 4 way deal?

Head to head comes in to play if two teams are tied. If three or more are tied you followi the rules outlined above. Overall record being the first tiebreaker then when you get down to two teams you use head to head

I don't think that is what the rules mean. "1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other." I think this would mean that Ohio State would be 2-1 against the other 3 teams tied,. Michigan 1-2, Michigan State 2-1, and Penn State 1-2... which would mean Ohio State would get the tie breaker. Overall record not considered.

Wasn’t even thinking of that. Michigan beating Wisky and OSU b2b is unlikely but crazier things have happened.

Wouldn’t the first tie breaker in a 4 way tie be your record vs the other 3 teams? OSU and MSU would be 2-1...others would be 1-2. Then it’s MSU vs OSU and they beat us. Or am I way off here when it comes to a 4 way deal?

I deleted that post because I saw where you may be coming from. It all comes down to whether "1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other." means OVERALL or actually BETWEEN each other. Im guessing the latter makes more sense.

OSU wins East with 3 overall loses! They beat MSU next week and lose to Harbaugh this year! Rose Bowl after they beat Wisky!

Who cares!

With 4 way head to head is not used i believe

Head to head is the 1st tiebreaker.

OSU and Msu would be 2-1, OSU would go on your scenario.

Doesn't matter how many teams are tied. Head to head is 1st. You need osu and msu to lose twice.

Overall record is the 7th tiebreaker, not the first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT