ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Has anyone ever known a murder victim?

I had a friend who was killed by a drunk driver. The strange thing is that I knew the drunk driver from a completely different group of friends. Many lives were ruined that night.

Yes, My dear brother in law was stabbed to death by an assailant in a home intrusion in Colorado. Very Very sad, unreal that this happened. Living in PA I arrived in Colorado the next day when the scene investigation was concluding, pools of blood, viewing blood on walls and on the floor everywhere, purple spray everywhere and markings as to where his body Finally came to rest. I was angry and ready for vengeance. As I read my brother-in-laws autopsy report in the weeks after over and over, How much I wish I could have been there to aid my brother in law. I often think, what was going through his mind as he took his last breath. Damn. John I hope you have found peace and I miss you. Your family misses you. Today is his sons 30th B-day.
I'm sorry for your loss.

May I ask....was the case ever solved?

Yes. A female cousin, 9 days older than me and also a PSU grad with a BS in Chemistry, was killed when an arsonist started a fire in her apartment building in Ohio. Everyone got out of the building except her and her boyfriend who also died. This happened the day after Thanksgiving in 1982. She was 23 years old. Would have turned 61 three days ago.

The next one should be does anyone know a murderer (although some have been mentioned in this thread).

Mutual acquaintances with a couple of folks on the other side of the equation...., LCN members

November 29, 1981...

111039_360W.png

Good friend and really smart guy got into selling drugs.He and his partner were found tied to kitchen chairs and tortured and stabbed multiple times in a row home in Philly.neighbors saw and heard nothing.

I knew a guy that had a small business and I talked to him a dozen times. One sunday I read that they discovered his body in the trunk of his car parked at a nearby hotel. He was shot three times.

They questioned his ex-wife and got nowhere. Then someone tipped them off that she called a contractor to paint her basement stairs and walls. That same day, she called another contractor and paid triple to have her driveway re-blacktopped. Then they found she called her brother, in a different state, and he took a flight three hours later at top dollar that was not planned.

The brother finally broke down and confessed he helped his sister drag the body out of the basement, down the driveway and into the car's trunk where he drove it to the hotel and jumped in her car to drive back.

I knew a guy that had a small business and I talked to him a dozen times. One sunday I read that they discovered his body in the trunk of his car parked at a nearby hotel. He was shot three times.

They questioned his ex-wife and got nowhere. Then someone tipped them off that she called a contractor to paint her basement stairs and walls. That same day, she called another contractor and paid triple to have her driveway re-blacktopped. Then they found she called her brother, in a different state, and he took a flight three hours later at top dollar that was not planned.

The brother finally broke down and confessed he helped his sister drag the body out of the basement, down the driveway and into the car's trunk where he drove it to the hotel and jumped in her car to drive back.

So how did she kill him? And why?

shot in the basement 3 times or the kitchen with a candlestick

Why probably she was tired of being married to him

gun. I don't know why. They dug a slug out of the wall behind the platform as you descend down the steps. She pled guilty, of course, but I don't know what became of her and her brother.

I had a friend from high school who was shot by her abusive POS boyfriend a few years after graduation.

A buddy from my freshman year in Hartranft Hall was on Pan Am 103 that blew up over Lockerbie. He was working in the Middle East for the Defense Intelligence Agency.
Chuck? Same guy I mentioned. We did a practicum together at the state pen in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Uh Clem
I've known two killers, and the surprising thing about both of them is that there was nothing unusual about either of them.

I think most of us are capable of murder under the right circumstances.

Yes, My dear brother in law was stabbed to death by an assailant in a home intrusion in Colorado. Very Very sad, unreal that this happened. Living in PA I arrived in Colorado the next day when the scene investigation was concluding, pools of blood, viewing blood on walls and on the floor everywhere, purple spray everywhere and markings as to where his body Finally came to rest. I was angry and ready for vengeance. As I read my brother-in-laws autopsy report in the weeks after over and over, How much I wish I could have been there to aid my brother in law. I often think, what was going through his mind as he took his last breath. Damn. John I hope you have found peace and I miss you. Your family misses you. Today is his sons 30th B-day.
I hope justice was served here. I’m sorry for your family’s loss.

A girl I went to school with. I think it was senior year. She was dating an older guy, but I guess it went south. He didn't take rejection well. Shot her in front of her house. He was from my neighborhood. Rough neighborhood and he was a capable guy, but he never bothered anybody. Very nice guy. It was shocking.

Through some quirk of fate, I worked with (at two different locations) the father of the shooter and the father of the victim of the HUB lawn shootings.

Chuck? Same guy I mentioned. We did a practicum together at the state pen in Pittsburgh.
Yep. I had lost track of him and a year after the bombing found out he was on the plane. His photo was on the cover of Time magazine a year or two after the plane went down. It was thought that he and a CIA agent had been the targets of the bomber.

I'm a Correctional Officer in Reading. I've known many murderers and murder victims.

I started in Dauphin County Prison, went to State Parole for 8 years, and now I’m a K9 handler. Like you I’ve come into contact with many murderers and victims. Often times I look at the news and see a murder victim and say “damn I knew that guy” but I’m not surprised on most occasions. Stay safe in there LionsandBear

When I was 9 or 10 and living in Florida one of my classmates was signed out of school by a person that had befriended the family and posed as a surf magazine photographer. My friend was an excellent surfer. They later found my friend’s body in a footlocker in a swamp.

Reactions: LionsandBear
Reading through these has been eye opening. Never thought murder would touch so many of the living.

I have known three suicides and several traffic accident deaths but no murders or murderers. Traffic fatalities are sad and shocking, suicides fill you with both guilt and anger. Can't imagine how murder affects one.

Through some quirk of fate, I worked with (at two different locations) the father of the shooter and the father of the victim of the HUB lawn shootings.
That's a bizarre coincidence. I was in a nearby building and heard the shots. As an avid hunter at the time, I recognized the sounds of a long rifle. Then later sirens. It was an erie time on campus for a long time after.

As an aside, I had a jealous ex point a pistol at my face at fairly close range. The 'red dot' blinded me for a second. Not fun.

Last edited:
My high school homeroom teacher was convicted of murder some years after I graduated. He was a teacher I really looked up to when I was in school.

Shook hands on a few occasions when I was much younger (about 40 years ago) with Angelo Bruno, the South Philly "Gentle Don" that was recently featured briefly in "The Irishman".

Also, I worked once with a young lady who was murdered by her boyfriend. Ironically, my next door neighbor worked once with the perp (they were both fire fighters).
My Penn State roommate in April 2018. Google William Bishop Durham NC. Tragic.

I started in Dauphin County Prison, went to State Parole for 8 years, and now I’m a K9 handler. Like you I’ve come into contact with many murderers and victims. Often times I look at the news and see a murder victim and say “damn I knew that guy” but I’m not surprised on most occasions. Stay safe in there LionsandBear.

Thanks and you as well.

Outside of my job, I've had a friend in HS killed as an innocent bystander caught in gunfire. Another was shot in the head, stuffed in a trunk and then the car was set on fire to destroy evidence.

Frank Spencer, who was murdered by his wife Maria, and her father Rocco a few years ago In Bloomsburg

As an aside, I had two teenage classmates get shot in separate hunting accidents. What are the chances of that?

My sister-in-law’s father shot her mother 5 times in the chest in her driveway as she was packing to leave him. He had been arrested the week before for threatening to kill her, but got out on bail, then waited on the other side of a wood line for her to return. He then killed himself. Left my 23 year old sister-in-law and 13 year old sister parentless. My parents became their de facto parents, and my father (who I’ve written about on here over the past few months) is walking the sister of my sister-in-law her down the aisle next month.

Also when I lived in Dallas in the early 90s, my friend and I were outside playing wiffleball and heard a gunshot. Found out that night the woman in the house behind us and to the left was shot and killed in her driveway by an ex.

Yup, friend in highscchool murdered by her ex significant other along with her grandmother over a custody dispute.

Nearly all evidence was thrown out by the judge due to a ruling numerous warrents were invalid on technicalities. Bill was a very special person and talented person. I never saw any tendencies of anger or disgust in him. Some of the news reporting has been pure crap.
Not sure that cops lying to obtain warrants can be dismissed as "technicalities."

I had a friend who was killed by a drunk driver. The strange thing is that I knew the drunk driver from a completely different group of friends. Many lives were ruined that night.

I didn’t know them, but I was one of the first people on the scene of an accident caused by a drunk driver. He crossed the center line on a 2 lane highway where both lanes had 55 MPH speed limits. Head on crash with no skid marks.

In addition to killing himself the drunk took out 3 generations of a family — a husband and wife, plus their two kids and the man’s mother. I took a look inside the vehicle with the family in it and could not sleep without sedatives for 3 weeks. I have tremendous respect for first responders. I don’t think I could do it.

Not sure that cops lying to obtain warrants can be dismissed as "technicalities."
The evidence was there and got dismissed. Alexander (son) is guilty of murdering his father with that evidence. So to me, since I've known Bill for over 40 years , its a technicality and those 'technicalities" have allowed a murderer to go free and inherit millions of dollars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT