ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Has anyone ever known a murder victim?

Thus Spoke Mainer

Mar 6, 2012
Shook hands on a few occasions when I was much younger (about 40 years ago) with Angelo Bruno, the South Philly "Gentle Don" that was recently featured briefly in "The Irishman".

Also, I worked once with a young lady who was murdered by her boyfriend. Ironically, my next door neighbor worked once with the perp (they were both fire fighters).

Yep. A first cousin. Killed by a creep that was stalking her. Just a HS jr and gone walking home from school. Back in the sixties in WB.

Shook hands on a few occasions when I was much younger (about 40 years ago) with Angelo Bruno, the South Philly "Gentle Don" that was recently featured briefly in "The Irishman".

Also, I worked once with a young lady who was murdered by her boyfriend. Ironically, my next door neighbor worked once with the perp (they were both fire fighters).
I knew a woman before she was a murder victim. Murdered by her ex-husband.

Yes, My dear brother in law was stabbed to death by an assailant in a home intrusion in Colorado. Very Very sad, unreal that this happened. Living in PA I arrived in Colorado the next day when the scene investigation was concluding, pools of blood, viewing blood on walls and on the floor everywhere, purple spray everywhere and markings as to where his body Finally came to rest. I was angry and ready for vengeance. As I read my brother-in-laws autopsy report in the weeks after over and over, How much I wish I could have been there to aid my brother in law. I often think, what was going through his mind as he took his last breath. Damn. John I hope you have found peace and I miss you. Your family misses you. Today is his sons 30th B-day.

I knew a couple and the husband killed the wife. Of those who knew them, many people were not terribly surprised- nor would we have been if she had killed him.
They could not live with or without each other- it was really tragic.

Unfortunately yes. My cousin. Her husband put a .40 caliber bullet into the back of her head as she was packing up clothes for her young children while her parents waited in the driveway for her to finally leave him. Unfortunately, she never came out.

If any of you Reading guys are old enough to remember the Dreamland Park murders, I worked for, and was friends with Glenn Eckert, one of the victims. He and his girlfriend were captured, tortured and murdered by local bikers. Killed pretty much just for the hell of it. According to a book about the incident, the guy that actually pulled the trigger eventually went to jail, but not for that murder.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I knew a woman before she was a murder victim. Murdered by her ex-husband.
Yes, more than 20 years ago, good friend dumped her husband, took the kids and moved to Arizona to start a new life. Developed a business partnership to do Indian art and photography, she dumped the partner and in a rage he killed her, brutal murder, multiple stab wounds; they finally caught him in Colorado. The creep is still on death row, and from the occasional readings I do on the case he has become somewhat of a jail house lawyer. Now claiming childhood abuse caused him to stab her over 40 times, steal her car and credit cards. As bad as all that was one of the kids discovered her blood splattered body. She was a good friend and great artist.

I’ve known a few on each side of murder cases when they were in elementary school (and middle school too, now that I think of it). I wasn’t surprised to hear of any them, sadly.

Reactions: Ceasar
I went to school with a young lady from first grade through 12th who died in one of the towers on 9/11. Beautiful person and her loss is both sad and infuriating.

I've personally known two murder victims, seperate incidents. Still have a really hard time talking about them.

My father’s co-worker and beat mate. Killed in the line of duty. Shot with his own service weapon during an altercation with the criminal

A classmate blown up over Lockerbie, Scotland; A coworker's husband in an airliner shot down by the Russians; three people. including a cousin, massacred at the Tree of Life, one of the students killed by the National Guard at Kent State. I am sure there have been others, but I don't really want to dwell on this any longer.

30+ years ago, next door neighbors.... very old-school Eastern European immigrant family. All very nice when saying hello and making small talk, but not social and kept to themselves. A couple days after we moved, I got a call that the dad had killed his daughter and then himself, because he was upset that his (>21 yo) daughter wanted to move out of the house and live on her own, locally.
Yeesh.

This past Nov my eye doctor of the last 10-15 years stabbed his girlfriend to death. I did not see that coming! (Apparently she didn’t either.....)

His wife’s death 7-8 years ago in a relatively minor traffic accident (in which he was the driver) is now being investigated as a possible homicide instead of having been ruled accidental.

Reactions: auxgym and Bertway0
My wife’s friend from growing up in South west Philly.... her father still lived down there. 2 scum bags broke into the house and killed him

I spent a couple of years working with Pam Vatale, who was murdered in 2005. She was the wife of Daniel Horowitz, a pretty famous attorney in San Francisco. Waste of life.

I knew a couple and the husband killed the wife. Of those who knew them, many people were not terribly surprised- nor would we have been if she had killed him.
They could not live with or without each other- it was really tragic.

The only person I know was also murdered by her husband. He killed her father too who was in the house. Left behind four young children.

Lost two people I’d consider friends. One a coworker and the other a contractor I knew from work. Coworker was beating a guy in a jealous fit of rage. Other guy pulled out a gun and shot him. Contractor’s wife was harassed by a neighbor while out shopping. So he drove to the neighbor’s house to confront him. Soon as stepped out of the truck the neighbor shot him from the porch.

When I was in 4th grade a kid a year ahead of me was killed by an older kid from down the street from him lured him into the woods and crushed his skull with a rock. It happened about a mile from where I lived in Mechanicsburg.

The woman I knew was my legal assistant. She'd come to work for us after her divorce. Had a young daughter. Worked for us 2 years

As the 4 yo slept upstairs, she and her new boyfriend were shot with a deer rifle by her ex thru the LR window . She died, BF lost right leg above the knee. Nightnare.

My best friend when I was a real little kid turned out really bad. In a drug induced fog he murdered another kid i knew while they were getting trashed together. I hadn't seen them in years by this time but still really sad.

My brother-in-law was shot and killed in a hold up outside a bar. Gave them everything (he had a couple of bucks in his wallet), was told to lie face down and then shot in the back. His buddy was shot also and survived.

Had a great aunt who was murdered in the late 60’s over in Lewistown. Everybody thought it was her husband, but no one could prove it.

Former softball teammate, killed by his nephew just a couple years ago in Pleasant Gap. The nephew had been living with friend's father, his grandfather. One day after the grandfather died, my friend, usually a happy-go-lucky guy, was telling nephew he would have to move out of house. Nephew didn't take that well and shot him right there. Bizarre.

The woman I knew was my legal assistant. She'd come to work for us after her divorce. Had a young daughter. Worked for us 2 years

As the 4 yo slept upstairs, she and her new boyfriend were shot with a deer rifle by her ex thru the LR window . She died, BF lost right leg above the knee. Nightnare.
The father of a boy I coached was almost a victim of this scenario. He was the next to last boyfriend of the woman with a jealous ex. The next and last boyfriend was not so lucky and it was a few months after he stopped dating her.

A contractor who did work on my house died under mysterious circumstances. His life insurance company refused to payout his wife who was having an affair with the neighbor.

Knew someone who died in ine of the Towers on 9/11. Also I knew a murderess - I had hired this young girl at the company I worked for. Knew her real well as most if hung out together and played in the softball league. She went on to other jobs and got into hard drugs and alcohol. A few years back she and her new boyfriend broke into her old boyfriends house looking for money they thought he had - they tortured him and killed him stole his car and were caught soon after - he got the death penalty after she testified against him and she got life with no parole. Amazing that someone who seemed so normal could do something like that.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
A buddy from my freshman year in Hartranft Hall was on Pan Am 103 that blew up over Lockerbie. He was working in the Middle East for the Defense Intelligence Agency.

Knew someone who died in ine of the Towers on 9/11. Also I knew a murderess - I had hired this young girl at the company I worked for. Knew her real well as most if hung out together and played in the softball league. She went on to other jobs and got into hard drugs and alcohol. A few years back she and her new boyfriend broke into her old boyfriends house looking for money they thought he had - they tortured him and killed him stole his car and were caught soon after - he got the death penalty after she testified against him and she got life with no parole. Amazing that someone who seemed so normal could do something like that.
yes, drugs make people do stupid things.
One of my 2 best friends for all my elementary and high schools years ended up as a murderer as well ....
https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-2002-02-13-3394955-story.html

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-2001-11-17-3381742-story.html

btw he stole a car from me when I was doing an internship in Poughkeepsie NY in 1988 - showed up out of the blue (this was before cell phones), we spent a weekend partying in NYC, then he asked to borrow my car ("to visit his aunt" lol) and he never came back. Ended up being arrested a week or so later in Mars PA with a loaded handgun (which he had when he was with me in a brown lunch bag- though I didn't know it was a gun at the time).
I've wondered what he would have done if I had not let him borrow my car, would he have pulled the gun on his good friend? I don't think he had fallen deep enough yet to do that, but who knows.

My wife was at a meeting at work when another worker walked in and shot her boss and best friend at work. [i worked for the same employer. ]. I went into the crime scene to retrieve her purse. There was blood everywhere and teeth on the floor. The teeth were from the killer who had been jumped and beaten by other workers.

My wife still suffers from post traumatic stress syndrome.

Probably around 9th grade a girl classmate's father shot and killed a boy classmate's father at an Italian restaurant (Mafia related). I used to play with the boy (same neighborhood) and his father also took us places.

Last edited:
When I was 13, one kid in my neighborhood (I think he was 12, but 2 classes behind) shot and killed one of my classmates. Very strange time. Very little news published on the event and I cannot find anything about it on the web today.

My father was murdered when I was nineteen. 44 years ago. My parents never got along and were separated at the time. A new girlfriend shot him in the head while he slept because he said he didn't want to get married. He had showed me the gun (.357 magnum) he had taken from her a few weeks earlier when he said she was talking about killing herself. Apparently she had talked him into giving her the gun back a short time after that. She then shot and killed herself. Myself? I never married.

At least two that I can think of - One a PSU classmate the other the father of one of the kids in my cub scout den.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT