ADVERTISEMENT

Washington can absolutely beat Michigan.

Yes they can. As I said in a separate thread, those of us who grew up in the 70s heard a ton about unbeatable UM or OSU teams in the lead up to Rose Bowls - and then the “soft” PAC 10 teams would beat them consistently

Reactions: dailybuck777
Of course they can. UM will need a good day from their defense because UW can rack up points in a hurry, and I don't think UM has the offense to win a track meet.

Michigans ability at the LOS on both sides will be, and has been, the difference for them in 3+ yrs now. Harbaugh builds that team inside out, and they owned the LOS vs Bama. Washington is just ok up front, and now with their star RB hurt, the challenge gets more difficult. I would be surprised if Washington won. They are excellent in passing -- but take that away, or at least minimize the damage, they don't have much else to fall back on. Go Huskies.

I hate Harbaugh and Michigan but have to admit that they are loaded with good players this year and the team is very well coached. I think they beat Washington and the next day Harbaugh announces he is moving on to the Chargers.

Penix and the Washington passing game will have to be contained. Other than that, UM appears to be superior in every other phase. Special teams needs to improve, obviously.

if Alabama has a center that could snap the ball they’d be playing next week.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
Of course Washington can....Michigan is still the favorite though and it's okay to say that.
All Big Ten final--shows us how important it is that we don't remain "content" being where we are now. We have to improve or we'll quickly be the 5-6 best team in our conference.

Of course Washington can....Michigan is still the favorite though and it's okay to say that.
All Big Ten final--shows us how important it is that we don't remain "content" being where we are now. We have to improve or we'll quickly be the 5-6 best team in our conference.
Regardless what hot air JF sprews in press conferences, he clearly thinks 'winning is hard' and 'we dont' take that lightly around here' after hum drum wins over NW and ILL. I want a coach where beating those teams ugly is unacceptable, not appreciated.

Regardless what hot air JF sprews in press conferences, he clearly thinks 'winning is hard' and 'we dont' take that lightly around here' after hum drum wins over NW and ILL. I want a coach where beating those teams ugly is unacceptable, not appreciated.
Agreed--see Kirby Smart being publicly critical of his players when they don't play up to his standard.
Franklin literally is placating our fan base because he knows a portion of it still think it's the 80s and "doing things the right way" matters most. That's why he handled the opt out the way he did.

Not sure why people are crowning Michigan as National Champs yet.

I was towing that line until last night. Washington has a pretty damn nice passing game. They fit the ball into tight windows with tight coverage and the receivers catch it (imagine that?)...... I was impressed. If they can have that sort of success against UM, it will be a game. The question is if they have the physicality to slow down UM's run game.

And of course, they need to practice tackling low because you aren't going to bring down Corum up around the shoulders.

Michigans ability at the LOS on both sides will be, and has been, the difference for them in 3+ yrs now. Harbaugh builds that team inside out, and they owned the LOS vs Bama. Washington is just ok up front, and now with their star RB hurt, the challenge gets more difficult. I would be surprised if Washington won. They are excellent in passing -- but take that away, or at least minimize the damage, they don't have much else to fall back on. Go Huskies.
Well missing a star RB means they are no longer worthy of the playoffs, so the committee should just put Georgia in the game now. That's how this stupid system works, right?

The thinking was Bama with a dual threat QB and legit downfield threats in Bond and Burton would threaten UM's defense, stretch the field more and thus not get overwhelmed. Maryland put up 24 with a mobile qb and Ohio State 24 with elite receivers. Problem is this year wasn't one of their elite Bama Olines and that was the biggest mismatch of the game. UW has all those things mentioned and I expect their Oline will match up a lot better. Whether their defense can force some TOs or get UM behind the sticks/drive killing penalties etc idk

Of course Washington can win. 4.5 point dogs win something like 40% of the time in college.

Should be a good game. Washington will attempt to air it out and Michigan will attempt to slowly suffocate the Huskies.

Rees was a big reason Bama lost that game. Bama struggled all year in pass protection and actually started running the ball pretty damn well at the end of the season. If he would have just relied on that running game more they probably win that game. Washington's biggest advantage besides their great WR's is that Penix gets rid of the ball so damn fast that it negates a pass rush. I think he was only sacked 11 times this year while throwing for over 4500 yards. That's pretty incredible. Their TE is also pretty freaken good. Having said all of that they are most likely going to struggle on defense. I doubted Washington all year and they have been able show up when it matters. Hopefully they can pull it out.

Washington should be favored over Michigan. Absolutely. They have the best QB in college football. And a ton of talent surrounding him. Michigan has very good talent and physicality in both its OL and its DL, but the Wolverines had better hope that they are able to apply serious pressure to Penix, or he will carve them up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

I hate Harbaugh and Michigan but have to admit that they are loaded with good players this year and the team is very well coached. I think they beat Washington and the next day Harbaugh announces he is moving on to the Chargers.
Let's hope he leaves.

Reactions: psuno1
Agreed--see Kirby Smart being publicly critical of his players when they don't play up to his standard.
Franklin literally is placating our fan base because he knows a portion of it still think it's the 80s and "doing things the right way" matters most. That's why he handled the opt out the way he did.
Don't forget the ever important message of thanking the media for covering Penn State football.

Problem is this year wasn't one of their elite Bama Olines
Maybe, but I think you will have a tough time convincing the Georgia Bulldog defense of that. Bama 's OL took over the SEC championship game in the second half, and won it for the Tide.

Hot QB will keep Washington in the game and might be enough for them to pull off the win. Two 2024 Big 10 teams in the 2023-24 Championship Game; who would have thought?

Washington should be favored over Michigan. Absolutely. They have the best QB in college football. And a ton of talent surrounding him. Michigan has very good talent and physicality in both its OL and its DL, but the Wolverines had better hope that they are able to apply serious pressure to Penix, or he will carve them up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Michigan has faced some fairly potent Ohio State passing offenses the past two years. This will be a similar challenge, although I don't think Washington has a defense as good as the Buckeye's.

Michigan has faced some fairly potent Ohio State passing offenses the past two years. This will be a similar challenge, although I don't think Washington has a defense as good as the Buckeye's.

In '21 and '22, the OSU offense led by Stroud was very potent and resembles the Washington offense of '23. I would probably even say the Buckeye offenses were perhaps better.

However, the '23 OSU offense was not even close in potency even if some of the components are top notch.

I think the interior pressure you brought on Bama will be key along with "can Washington's defense get off the field"?

Michigan couldn't cover Ohio state's receivers. Mccord just had a bad game. If Penix is on, Michigan is in trouble. I don't think Michigan can hold Washington under 30 points

I like Michigan.
Wait…let me rephrase that.
I despise Michigan, especially that cheating little hairball. But I think Michigan will win.
Defense wins championships in team sports and Michigan’s D is far superior to what UW puts on the field.
Cheaters will score enough to win.
They will not have a month to prepare for UW, it is going to be close-whoever has less turnovers wins. I hope Penix lights em up.

Michigan couldn't cover Ohio state's receivers. Mccord just had a bad game. If Penix is on, Michigan is in trouble. I don't think Michigan can hold Washington under 30 points

That's not what Marvin Harrison Jr. said after The Game.

That's not what Marvin Harrison Jr. said after The Game.
All I know is during the last drive game, when it mattered most, the receivers were open. Also, Harrison went to the same high school as McCord and they are friends and Harrison was undoubtedly trying to protect his friend.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
All I know is during the last drive game, when it mattered most, the receivers were open. Also, Harrison went to the same high school as McCord and they are friends and Harrison was undoubtedly trying to protect his friend.
A game is defined by more than a drive. Michigan can hold Washington under 30. Doesn't mean they will but they can. And if Washington goes over 30 there's no reason to believe Michigan can't.

Michigan's ball control offense/run game is going to help them here.

Go Huskies but Michigan is the favorite

A game is defined by more than a drive. Michigan can hold Washington under 30. Doesn't mean they will but they can. And if Washington goes over 30 there's no reason to believe Michigan can't.

Michigan's ball control offense/run game is going to help them here.

Go Huskies but Michigan is the favorite
Washington's offense better than OSU's. OSU threw two interceptions and still scored 24 points. Hard for me to see Michigan holding Washington under 30 points unless they are able to control the clock. Washington is by far the best offense that Michigan has seen.

Last edited:
Washington's offense better than OSU's. OSU threw two interceptions and still scored 24 points. Hard for me to see Michigan holding Washington under 30 points unless they are able to control the clock. Washington is by far the best offense that Michigan has seen.
And they haven't seen a defense close to Michigan
Check out some of Washington's scores this year. Not saying Michigan will but your giving too much credit to Washington. Michigan is the clear favorite as much as I don't want them to win Bama was the best chance for that to happen.

The last drive failed because the Ohio State line could not protect McCord. Don't blame him for that final interception. Even Tom Brady will throw an interception when you hit him while he is throwing.

And they haven't seen a defense close to Michigan
Check out some of Washington's scores this year. Not saying Michigan will but your giving too much credit to Washington. Michigan is the clear favorite as much as I don't want them to win Bama was the best chance for that to happen.
Michigan did a reasonably good but not great job against OSU. OSU ran the ball 8 times straight against Michigan for a touchdown. Scored 24 points with mediocre qb and 2 interceptions.

Reactions: psuno1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT