ADVERTISEMENT

Washington can absolutely beat Michigan.

My basic point is that Washington is by far the best offense that Michigan is seen that as far as potential national championship teams go Michigan is a reasonably good team but not in the class of LSU from several years ago or a couple of the really good Alabama teams.

Ohio State lost the Big ten championship as much as Michigan won it.
How bad did you have Alabama beating Michigan? Just asking. No one is saying Michigan is like that LSU team or past Alabama teams. This has potential of being a very good game. Your last sentence is just silly but also understandable as a fan

He's, what, 35-1 in the regular season plus 3-0 in the Big Ten title games the past 3 years?
Just beat Bama in the playoff. He doesn't need to win Monday to be the best coach in the Big Ten--he's got that over Day easily. The only debate after Monday would possibly be DeBoer.
Nice of you to just pick the 3 year stretch when he has been cheating. And I noticed you left off his bowl record. Why is that? They have a great team this year but this revisionist history about him being a great coach is laughable. His big wins this year were a down OSU team with a mediocre QB and an Alabama team that played one good game the entire year. The previous 5 year stretch before he started cheating was:
2-4
9-4 (lost bowl game)
10-3 (lost bowl game)
8-5 (lost bowl game)
10-3 (lost bowl game)

Reactions: dailybuck777
Nice of you to just pick the 3 year stretch when he has been cheating. And I noticed you left off his bowl record. Why is that? They have a great team this year but this revisionist history about him being a great coach is laughable. His big wins this year were a down OSU team with a mediocre QB and an Alabama team that played one good game the entire year. The previous 5 year stretch before he started cheating was:
2-4
9-4 (lost bowl game)
10-3 (lost bowl game)
8-5 (lost bowl game)
10-3 (lost bowl game)
I love that you listed bowl games--why are you talking about scrimmages?
The playoffs were bad but he rectified that.
The focus on cheating is honestly comical. It's not even a story.

You take homerism to all new levels. You aren’t even trying to have an honest conversation. My bad.
See post below yours for harbaugh's stupendous record at Michigan before the last 3 years. Compare it to Ryan's total record

Yes. Harbaugh is 3-1 vs Day, and I would argue that Ohio State has had the better overall talent all four games.
OSU didn't have better talent this year. Michigan had the better quarterback which was the deciding issue. If the quarterbacks were reversed Ohio State would have won

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
OSU didn't have better talent this year. Michigan had the better quarterback which was the deciding issue. If the quarterbacks were reversed Ohio State would have won

Yes, JJ, being one of our two five star recruits, was better than McCord.

Ohio State has as much recruiting talent backlogged as Georgia and Bama. While Michigan has about the 14th best recruiting over the past five years.

The difference being that Harbaugh and staff DEVELOP their 3 and 4 stars, while Day does not.

Yes, JJ, being one of our two five star recruits, was better than McCord.

Ohio State has as much recruiting talent backlogged as Georgia and Bama. While Michigan has about the 14th best recruiting over the past five years.

The difference being that Harbaugh and staff DEVELOP their 3 and 4 stars, while Day does not.
Difference was that Harbaugh was able to recruit very good offensive lineman in the transfer portal. Day actually did a great job with his offensive line coach coaching the offensive line which started off being poor and finished off the year being pretty good. Had no depth on the offensive line which showed in the bowl game when new players had to be put in.

The best first year offensive lineman in the NFL this year was Dawand Jones who was at best of three star in high school. CJ Stroud was only a four-star quarterback. Chris olave was a three-star receiver. Ohio State has developed lots of good players.

Last edited:
You're putting way too much on McCord for the loss.
Lost by One touchdown, which could be attributed to the first interception which occurred deep into Ohio State Territory. Doesn't even include the second interception which was also bad and was not all McCord's fault. However, if he would have been a more talented quarterback in the pocket, he could have possibly evaded to rush or anticipated quicker and made a quicker pass. McCord was not very good at making quick reads.

Lost by One touchdown, which could be attributed to the first interception which occurred deep into Ohio State Territory. Doesn't even include the second interception which was also bad and was not all McCord's fault. However, if he would have been a more talented quarterback in the pocket, he could have possibly evaded to rush or anticipated quicker and made a quicker pass. McCord was not very good at making quick reads.
Again putting too much on McCord. This is like the people here that think everything is Allar's fault.

Lol. In the final drive, McCord needed to be passing for at least 15 yards a play. How is he supposed dump it off before any of the receivers were close to done with their routes?

Congrats on picking up Will Howard, but I don't see him as any sure fire upgrade over McCord.

Lol. In the final drive, McCord needed to be passing for at least 15 yards a play. How is he supposed dump it off before any of the receivers were close to done with their routes?

Congrats on picking up Will Howard, but I don't see him as any sure fire upgrade over McCord.
McCord needed to dump the ball off quick if no one is open, he needed to make the right reads and he needed to make the right calls at the line scrimmage. None of which he was good at. He had a mediocre game and McCarthy had a good game and that was the difference

Again putting too much on McCord. This is like the people here that think everything is Allar's fault.
Allar certainly made things much easier for Ohio State. Ohio State pretty much didn't have to defend the passing game. The difference between a very good quarterback and an underperforming quarterback is very big as one could see when Florida state's quarterback went down

Last edited:
Reactions: Psubiomed
On first take, Paul Finebaum just stated that Washington has the best offensive line in the country. I didn't know they had an elite offensive line. Unless Michigan can run the ball down Washington's throat to take time off the clock, Washington will score.

I don't get this stuff about Harbaugh being a great coach. He has something like 3 wins and 7 losses against OSU. Has bad losses against MSU. Was 2-4 in 2019. OSU gave him the 2021 game because defense was horrendous and Kerry Combs was a totally incompetent defensive coordinator. Last year OSU was too aggressive on defense against and Donovan Edwards gained something like 150 or 200 yards. Against Alabama it was about 30 or 40. In other games he was not that effective. Harbaugh is reasonably good but it has coincided with a good run of luck against OSU.
These are just excuses. Yeah Harbaugh struggled earlier but has righted the ship and he is definitely a better coach than Day. My God that is plain as day ---pun intended. Michigan is flat out a better program than Ohio State now. Just face the facts and hope your team can turn the tables next year.

Allar certainly made things much easier for Ohio State. Ohio State pretty much didn't have to defend the passing game. The difference between a very good quarterback and an underperforming quarterback is very big as one could see when Florida state's quarterback went down
As I said, the staff should encourage him to transfer this week to a MAC school where he belongs.

I don't get this stuff about Harbaugh being a great coach. He has something like 3 wins and 7 losses against OSU. Has bad losses against MSU. Was 2-4 in 2019. OSU gave him the 2021 game because defense was horrendous and Kerry Combs was a totally incompetent defensive coordinator. Last year OSU was too aggressive on defense against and Donovan Edwards gained something like 150 or 200 yards. Against Alabama it was about 30 or 40. In other games he was not that effective. Harbaugh is reasonably good but it has coincided with a good run of luck against OSU.

He's also 3-5 in bowls at scUM. Not a great catch. He barely beat the worst Alabama team to ever make the Invitational - played Alabama roughly on par with Auburn (Auburn got utterly crushed by MD in their bowl game). People keep saying they know how good Washington (or Oregon) is - which is complete nonsense; they've played utterly different schedules. The only team 11-2 Oregon has lost to is Washington. Acting like Bama was a great team is laughable. Maryland had 100% of their offensive yardage through the air, had 3 turnovers and still nearly beat scUM. Washington has a lightyears better Offense and passing game than MD. Washington might have the best OL in the nation - they arguably have the best recieving corps in the nation. They have the best QB in the nation (and #2 is not close to Pinnix in terms of true passing skills). They have the nation's #1 Passing Game. scUM has not seen an offense like Washington's all year and assuming they're going to shut them down based on absolutely nothing is laughable. From the looks of it, Oregon is probably a better team than Alabama.

Last edited:
And AGAIN you're putting too much on McCord. It's the easy option. Penn State lost for many reasons. The inability to cover Harrison was a prime one. The offensive play-calling. The receivers being unable to create separation even with Burke out. When you start blaming the QB for everything, which you're doing, it indicates you don't know the game. Just like in hockey when people believe every goalie is to blame.

You're putting way too much on McCord for the loss.
Prior to Houston Texan game yesterday, they played clips of Stroud playing against Georgia. On one play Stroud, through pocket presence made 3 players miss (each of the 3 had similar shots against Stroud as the last qb pressure that was part of McCord's final interception) and threw about a 15 yard TD. McCord being a statute, a mediocre reader of defenses, and only an above average passer is what cost OSU the game.

• Wow
Prior to Houston Texan game yesterday, they played clips of Stroud playing against Georgia. On one play Stroud, through pocket presence made 3 players miss (each of the 3 had similar shots against Stroud as the last qb pressure that was part of McCord's final interception) and threw about a 15 yard TD. McCord being a statute, a mediocre reader of defenses, and only an above average passer is what cost OSU the game.
You're putting too much blame on McCord

You are ignoring the facts. You haven't watched McCord all year as I have.
I watched Ohio State a ton this year. McCord wasn't your biggest issue as you likely know. People that don't know the game immediately blame the QB. You're doing that here.

Offensive line played best game of year. Defense played well. 2 interceptions killed Ohio State. The first during first possession was particularly harmful.

You are ignoring the facts. You haven't watched McCord all year as I have.

lol. Yes, McCord in his first year starting was a bit of a drop off from a Heisman trophy finalist.

Who could have foreseen that?!

Perhaps Day should have relied more on your running game and defense this year... Just a thought.

lol. Yes, McCord in his first year starting was a bit of a drop off from a Heisman trophy finalist.

Who could have foreseen that?!

Perhaps Day should have relied more on your running game and defense this year... Just a thought.
The offensive line was poor at the beginning of the year. No way he could rely on running game. In reference to QBs, who could have imagined that CJ Stroud would turn into what he turned into when he threw zero passes the whole year as Justin Field's backup the last year Fields was there.

I love how the UM fans are all trying to gas up McCord now that he left. He was an average qb by OSU qb standards and was shown the door when he demanded an increase in NIL. The difference in the UM game were his 2 back breaking ints. He also left a TD on the board when he missed a wide open Fleming on the far sideline and forced a throw to Marv, per his tendency to lock onto his first read.

I love how the UM fans are all trying to gas up McCord now that he left. He was an average qb by OSU qb standards and was shown the door when he demanded an increase in NIL. The difference in the UM game were his 2 back breaking ints. He also left a TD on the board when he missed a wide open Fleming on the far sideline and forced a throw to Marv, per his tendency to lock onto his first read.
McCord was also poor on long, downfield throws. With the receivers he had, he should have taken many more deep shots, but apparently the coaches didn't trust him on those throws.

"With just one throw beyond 20 yards in the air, McCord matched his season-low from two weeks ago, when he threw just one ball, an incompletion, in that area of the field. Over the last three games (at Rutgers, Michigan State and Minnesota), he has now completed just 4-of-6 passes for 134 yards and a touchdown on throws beyond 20 yards.
McCord struggled in the intermediate part of the field against Minnesota," https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...-from-ohio-states-dominant-win-over-minnesota

Ohio State fan are simply trashing McCord because they want a mobile QB (like many here) and he left. Had he returned he'd be hyped up for next year like they're doing with Howard.

Not gassing him up at all just pointing out that he was NOT the only reason they lost. JJ also missed wide open receiver that day. It happens. Sometimes the defense can cause A QB to hurry throws because of pressure. Dailybuck pins to much of that loss on McCord IMO

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Not gassing him up at all just pointing out that he was NOT the only reason they lost. JJ also missed wide open receiver that day. It happens. Sometimes the defense can cause A QB to hurry throws because of pressure. Dailybuck pins to much of that loss on McCord IMO
It was a very evenly matched game. JJ played a perfect game in that he didn't make mistakes that lead to easy points. McCord's first int that gave UM the ball at the 7 leading to an easy TD was the difference in the game.

It was a very evenly matched game. JJ played a perfect game in that he didn't make mistakes that lead to easy points. McCord's first int that gave UM the ball at the 7 leading to an easy TD was the difference in the game.
Michigans special teams did them no favors in that game as well. Usually their special teams are pretty solid

It's obvious that blaming McCord for everything puts the OSU fans at ease here and takes them to their happy place. Maybe they are right and with the new KSU guy because he is more mobile and more of a "winner" than McCord that pushes them to beat Michigan and be right there to win the natty next year. That is the narrative they want to believe so be it. That viewpoint can be debated as pointed out here with the O-Line issues and whether Ryan Day is that great/good of a coach to begin with given his propensity to pull a Franklin and lose the biggest games. Also how much of an upgrade really is the KSU guy when you really analyze it?

I think a huge key for OSU next year is if Henderson and Egbuka return. If both return and the QB has the "it" factor that McCord did not then they could do some damage.

Another key for them and PSU is Harbaugh going to the NFL. If yes that is good news for both PSU and OSU.

I was towing that line until last night. Washington has a pretty damn nice passing game. They fit the ball into tight windows with tight coverage and the receivers catch it (imagine that?)...... I was impressed. If they can have that sort of success against UM, it will be a game. The question is if they have the physicality to slow down UM's run game.

And of course, they need to practice tackling low because you aren't going to bring down Corum up around the shoulders.

Houston, we have an answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT